Then and Now - WDW Comparison Photos

Minnie1976

May like to see this pic I took December 2008.

2jesntj.jpg

I was under the impression these lights were taken down because of a wiring issue and I assumed they would be back at some time. Obviously not and its a shame they never reappeared.
Love your picture. It is just beautiful. I wish I had paid more attention to detail years ago.

Animaniac93-98

Here's another old photo of Haunted Mansion, this one before even Tom Sawyer Island and Aunt Polly's had been build. It shows how the scale of the queue and facade were intended to work together before the canopy went up later that year. The lack of tress in front and shorter height of the surrounding forest also work to emphasize the height of the building. Those lamposts in the queue were removed in 2007 when the canopy's width was extendend.

15304373_1367805626572423_5115229077742982651_o.jpg

And here's a colour photo of the original paint job:

15325410_1367819059904413_4415815097794215759_o.jpg

thomas998

I liked the interior of Imagination when that Pavilion was the original color, however, I like the current color better. To bad the show part sucks so bad now. I tend to like bright colors in a fun Theme Park. I think it enhances the "fun" and alive aspect.
I think that's the reason I don't like the orange... I prefer EPCOT when it wasn't just another theme park... The original intent was more of a pavilion embracing what could be.... I don't want to see a future that looks like a pantone distributor's vomit.

Goofyernmost

I think that's the reason I don't like the orange... I prefer EPCOT when it wasn't just another theme park... The original intent was more of a pavilion embracing what could be.... I don't want to see a future that looks like a pantone distributor's vomit.
Well, you're in luck because you don't see the future at all anymore. The reality was that there was very little future spelled out in the original, just a lot of the past and a hint of what might be possible.

thomas998

Well, you're in luck because you don't see the future at all anymore. The reality was that there was very little future spelled out in the original, just a lot of the past and a hint of what might be possible.
All I know is that when we went there in 1982 it seems a lot more futuristic than it does today.... Now it just seems like any typical Disney park only without any real Disney magic injected into it... Could be it never really had as much future as recall because when your a very young a lot of things seem more magical than they really are.

Goofyernmost

All I know is that when we went there in 1982 it seems a lot more futuristic than it does today.... Now it just seems like any typical Disney park only without any real Disney magic injected into it... Could be it never really had as much future as recall because when your a very young a lot of things seem more magical than they really are.
What is different today is Communicore. That is were new items and prototypes of possible future technology was showcased and set the tone for the entire park. Horizons, at least at the time, was about the only one that primarily focused on the possibilities of the future. Let's look at it. Starting with Spaceship Earth... Almost all the history of communication up to the time that was currently the present with a dissertation about how much further this was going to go, but, not with a lot of specifics until the technology actually did exist. Then, World of Energy.. nothing more then Exxon talking about how great they were at making life better for all of us by telling us where fossil fuels came from and how they are obtained today. Wonders of Life... No future unless you thought we really would be shrunk down to microscopic size and sailed through the bloodstream to fix internal problems (in other words just an entertainment Sci Fi show) or Cranium command another interesting show but dealt with how things work, not how they will work. That along with current ways of keeping fit or explaining how the body works. Horizon... I already covered as being mostly futuristic. World of Motion... a funny look at the history of transportation ending in a line of current GM vehicles and perhaps a concept car to look at on the way out. The Seas... A great representation about the importance of the seas and some of the things that we were learning about how we are connected to the sea and how it affects us now. The Land... not a lot of emphasis on the future at all. Almost everything presented were presently current technologies, even with the boat ride that seemed futuristic to those of us that hadn't seen how it worked, it was still actually actively used methods, just not by regular folk. Imagination... A wonderful show, especially the beginning of Journey, but, quickly sent us to what Imagination currently had given us and a vague promise of what is still ahead. The only thing that one might possibly call futuristic was Capt. EO and seriously, that was just another musical Sci Fi movie. All other displays were current technology in entertainment mode.

Most of the feel of futuristic came from the association with the name. EPCOT (Experimental Prototype Community Of Tomorrow), but it wasn't like that except in pieces of Communicore in my memory. The name was a tribute to Walt. Now that is not to say that what was there wasn't great because it was, but, it never really was what it was advertised as except in our minds.

Last edited:

Mike S

What is different today is Communicore. That is were new items and prototypes of possible future technology was showcased and set the tone for the entire park. Horizons, at least at the time, was about the only one that primarily focused on the possibilities of the future. Let's look at it. Starting with Spaceship Earth... Almost all the history of communication up to the time that was currently the present with a dissertation about how much further this was going to go, but, not with a lot of specifics until the technology actually did exist. Then, World of Energy.. nothing more then Exxon talking about how great they were at making life better for all of us by telling us where fossil fuels came from and how they are obtained today. Wonders of Life... No future unless you though we really would be shrunk down to microscopic size and sailed through the bloodstream to fix internal problems (in other words just an entertainment Sci Fi show) or Cranium command another interesting show but dealt with how things work, not how they will work. That along with current ways of keeping fit or explaining how the body works. Horizon... I already covered as being mostly futuristic. World of Motion... a funny look at the history of transportation ending in a line of current GM vehicles and perhaps a concept car to look at on the way out. The Seas... A great representation about the importance of the seas and some of the things that we were learning about how we are connected to the sea and how it affects us now. The Land... not a lot of emphasis on the future at all. Almost everything presented were presently current technologies, even with the boat ride that seemed futuristic to those of us that hadn't seen how it worked, it was still actually actively used methods, just not by regular folk. Imagination... A wonderful show, especially the beginning of Journey, but, quickly sent us to what Imagination currently had given us and a vague promise of what is still ahead. The only thing that one might possibly call futuristic was Capt. EO and seriously, that was just another musical Sci Fi movie. All other displays were current technology in entertainment mode.

Most of the feel of futuristic came from the association with the name. EPCOT (Experimental Prototype Community Of Tomorrow), but it wasn't like that except in pieces of Communicore in my memory. The name was a tribute to Walt. Now that is not to say that what was there wasn't great because it was, but, it never really was what it was advertised as except in our minds.
Which is why the problem of keeping up with the future that some people use to defend what has happened to the park over the years is just pure fabrication.

Goofyernmost

Which is why the problem of keeping up with the future that some people use to defend what has happened to the park over the years is just pure fabrication.
That's very true and also the reason why Disney gave up even trying to update it in any way that was connected to the future. The fact of the matter is that with the speed of technology in our world, it would have been impossible. EPCOT happened right on the cusp of that time. By the time Epcot was finished it was obvious that it wasn't going to be possible to be even a little bit doable to try because what was the future was current by then. So I'll say that it wasn't really fabricated, there was some fact to it, but, it wasn't the only reason. Communication technology ended the need for mass exposure in an atmosphere such as a Theme Park. I'll say this in small print because I know it will upset some, but, that is the reason why I feel so strongly that Walt's Dream would not have worked. It would have been to expensive to attempt to keep up and the exposure motivation for private companies to supply that technology in private residences would not have been sufficient. It actually had a better chance in the EPCOT that we actually got, and even that didn't work long range.

Mike S

That's very true and also the reason why Disney gave up even trying to update it in any way that was connected to the future. The fact of the matter is that with the speed of technology in our world, it would have been impossible. EPCOT happened right on the cusp of that time. By the time Epcot was finished it was obvious that it wasn't going to be possible to be even a little bit doable to try because what was the future was current by then. So I'll say that it wasn't really fabricated, there was some fact to it, but, it wasn't the only reason. Communication technology ended the need for mass exposure in an atmosphere such as a Theme Park. I'll say this in small print because I know it will upset some, but, that is the reason why I feel so strongly that Walt's Dream would not have worked. It would have been to expensive to attempt to keep up and the exposure motivation for private companies to supply that technology in private residences would not have been sufficient. It actually had a better chance in the EPCOT that we actually got, and even that didn't work long range.
Since the future they did show in the park still hasn't happened yet for the most part I think its vision would've mostly been safe. Communication technology can't replicate actually being somewhere and doing something for yourself or else we would never leave our houses. Why would anyone go to WDW with countless ride videos on YouTube? I do agree that the planned city probably wouldn't have worked though.

WDWtraveler

Original Poster
Thirty-first photo pairs: Here are three additional photo pairs before and after the Tomorrowland rock re-painting.

Then: July 2016. Bridge entrance to Tomorrowland.

IMG_8173.JPG

Now: Nov 2016.

IMG_8764.JPG

Then: July 2016. Close-up of rocks on left side of bridge, between Stitch's Great Escape and Cosmic Ray's Starlight Café. The trees and vegetation on the right side of the photo are on the "island" under the center of the bridge.

IMG_8172.JPG

Now: Nov 2016. Much of the vegetation has been removed and replanted. The trees and bushes on the "island" under the center of the bridge were removed when this photo was taken in November 2016.

IMG_8759 - Copy.JPG

Then: July 2016.

IMG_8179.JPG

Now: Nov 2016.

IMG_8770.JPG

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I'm not sure, but, it seems to me that there is something not real about that first picture. Yes the trees were smaller, but, that just means that the following would have shown up more clearly unless that picture was slightly "doctored".

View attachment 179496
You can make out the showbuildnig through the thin branches on the right.

Remember the mansion facade is taller than the warehouse behind.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom