Then and Now - WDW Comparison Photos

Goofyernmost

Surely mold and water spray can be cleaned? The way it can from the million other fountains and waterfalls in WDW, including the one just at the next bridge underneath the Tomorrowland Terrace.

Tomorrowland-waterfall-cosmic-rays-magic-kingdom-walt-disney-world.jpg

Vintage TL had waterfalls at the entrances, a waterfall at the Skyway, trees. In the distance, the large pond and waterfalls and lush vegetation of 20k. It humanised all that concrete.

Modern MK has twice as many guests, has replaced attractions with restrooms (the skyway stations in both TL and FL), cut trees and replaced its water features from the hauntingly beautiful mature modern architecture fountains for a toddler Splash & Pee area.
Running water will not be able to grow mold. Water that is blown in hard to get places that hardly ever get water in sufficient quantities to keep itself clean will. If someone wanted to volunteer to climb the sides of those towers, and clean them constantly then I'm sure they would let you do it. It would have to be during the day and with a great deal of haz mat assistance, but it surely can be done. Not thinking it would be so good for the show however.

EvilQueen-T

I think the 1974 photo is more attractive, because I like the greenery, flowers, and seating areas in front of the castle. Gives it more of a relaxed, "park" atmosphere. As for the castle turret colors, I like both versions.

I liked the trees better too for the park like feel but with how people are now in the hub area from parade through fireworks I can only imagine how much worse it would be if they still had all the trees...hub people are scary and not so magical lol.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The Tomorrowland waterfalls were switched off for a decade due to the hub bridge becoming slippy in windy conditions. Shame but hey. They had a lot of trouble in the early years with the water on the slopes not being visible. Ridges were added along the top to break the water up. But it was the two tower canons that literally fired water downwards that did the damage weather-wise.

They finally turned off circa 82/3 I believe and stayed off (with murals added) until early 94.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

The Tomorrowland waterfalls were switched off for a decade due to the hub bridge becoming slippy in windy conditions. Shame but hey. They had a lot of trouble in the early years with the water on the slopes not being visible. Ridges were added along the top to break the water up. But it was the two tower canons that literally fired water downwards that did the damage weather-wise.

They finally turned off circa 82/3 I believe and stayed off (with murals added) until early 94.
I agree totally with your post. Not a big deal, I do that often, however, and not because I am a grammar police officer by any stretch of the imagination, but, the use of a comma would have been very useful when saying "circa 82/3, I believe". I spent 5 minutes of what little of my life is left trying to figure out what 82/3I was code for. ;):joyfull: And then all of a sudden it became clear and all I could do was :facepalm: myself. Not a good way to start my day.

GlassHalfFull

great pics. i really like the original look. there was a boat ride in the water there? never road that, wish i had!

I too had no idea about a boat ride.. where did this ultimately go? around the hub and under the castle? I can imagine the view from that water looking up at the castle would have made for some GREAT photos.. Wish I would have been born early enough to see and/or remember that!

The Empress Lilly

where did this ultimately go? around the hub and under the castle?
Magic-Kingdom-Swan-Boat-Path1.png

The Swan Boats. And yes, a lovely boat ride that offered some of the best views of the hub, Treehouse, Castle, Tomorrowland fountains.

I remember the lines always being long, the ride was low capacity. And very hot, an outdoor queue followed by a open air boat.

Back when the hub was a park with trees and attractions instead of an astroturf parking lot:
psbent.jpg

James Clifton

The Swan ride was great,skipper gave all kinds of info on the castle etc. The castle was great,I gon't care for the "addition"to the castle...looks like crap! The castle used to be something special....first time visitors felt like it was DISNEY!! Repeat Magic Kingdom lovers would look at it & smile,some would even say...wow,really missed that castle.Now...the castle lools like a crappy add on...you can hardly see the special room that was given to people on special events. I used to look at it when it was lit at night & wonder "how much"for one night!! Oh well.
Jim

Goofyernmost

The Swan ride was great,skipper gave all kinds of info on the castle etc. The castle was great,I gon't care for the "addition"to the castle...looks like crap! The castle used to be something special....first time visitors felt like it was DISNEY!! Repeat Magic Kingdom lovers would look at it & smile,some would even say...wow,really missed that castle.Now...the castle lools like a crappy add on...you can hardly see the special room that was given to people on special events. I used to look at it when it was lit at night & wonder "how much"for one night!! Oh well.
Jim
Those two things aren't even closely related. The boats were back in the 70's and the castle "room" was just a few years ago. No more then 5 years ago, I think. Unless, you are talking about some other room that I am unaware of. My first visit was in 1983... there were no boats then.

Goofyernmost

See, that's the problem with you young whippersnappers, your first visit was only in recent times. :p

(Also, I did ride the Swan Boats in 1983...)
Well, you got me befuddled on that one. I was there in February 1983. I see that according to Wikipedia they didn't stop until August. I'll be honest here, I spent three whole days in MK (EPCOT sucked at the time) and I have zero recollection of seeing the boats, hearing about the boats or even the slightest indication they existed. In fact, I have an original, Steve Birnbaum, Walt Disney World, "Official Guide" (Copyright 1982) and there is not even one reference that I have been able to find about the Swan Boats. I can accept a faulty memory, but, I don't think it would have erased itself in the Guide. I am not saying that they weren't there, but, they must have had one foot deeply in the grave by then for me not to have at least seen one of them. Color me bewildered.
img003.jpg

The Empress Lilly

Well, you got me befuddled on that one. I was there in February 1983. I see that according to Wikipedia they didn't stop until August. I'll be honest here, I spent three whole days in MK (EPCOT sucked at the time) and I have zero recollection of seeing the boats, hearing about the boats or even the slightest indication they existed. In fact, I have an original, Steve Birnbaum, Walt Disney World, "Official Guide" (Copyright 1982) and there is not even one reference that I have been able to find about the Swan Boats. I can accept a faulty memory, but, I don't think it would have erased itself in the Guide. I am not saying that they weren't there, but, they must have had one foot deeply in the grave by then for me not to have at least seen one of them. Color me bewildered.
View attachment 176330
Modern Disney will advertise any fountain that is in working condition on their guides, will list any character out and about as an attraction.

By contrast, I think classic Disney stopped advertising the Swan Boats on their maps after 1975, because they were seasonal, so as to completely avoid possibly disappointing any guest.

Yes, back when Disney wrote the book on customer satisfaction.

Goofyernmost

Modern Disney will advertise any fountain that is in working condition on their guides, will list any character out and about as an attraction.

By contrast, I think classic Disney stopped advertising the Swan Boats on their maps after 1975, because they were seasonal, so as to completely avoid possibly disappointing any guest.

Yes, back when Disney wrote the book on customer satisfaction.
Also a way to discourage customers from using something, that they don't know existed, so they can justify making it history. They tried that, and to a lesser extent, are still doing that with CoP. They weren't all saintly, it really depended on how people looked at what they were doing. Today's Disney management haters would have been all over that with poor management accusations and greed implications as well. My opinion is that management has always been the same, people, however, have become more and more aware or jaded in their opinion.... take your pick.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom