Theme Park Apprentice 9 - An Off-Site Imagineering Game

D Hulk

Original Poster
Welcome, competitors. As a reminder, there will be NO eliminations from Challenge 1, so even while we’re still fine-tuning our critiques, you’re welcome to start thinking on Challenge 2. Which is…

REPLACE A LOUSY ROLLER COASTER

Even the greatest theme park has room for improvement. Often there’s that one lousy roller coaster which just isn’t up to par. Maybe it’s a Vekoma Boomerang, or a crumbling woodie, or Mind Eraser, or something else.

For this week’s “Theme Park Apprentice: Extreme Park Makeover” challenge, you are to select a low-quality roller coaster from any park, and either replace it or restore it. Using the same footprint, remove a poor experience and create one that will be a park highlight. And since this is Theme Park Apprentice, theme the new ride appropriately for your park. Show creativity. If you’re topping a wooden coaster, don’t simply re-track it. Think of Magic Mountain’s Twisted Colossus as the bare minimum. For a total replacement, make us forget the older ride ever existed, like Kings Island’s Banshee did to Son of Beast.

If you are unsure of a particular roller coaster, of if you even need a coaster recommendation, the judges are always here to help.

All proposals are due on Saturday, July 22nd, at midnight site time. Late proposals without an acceptable excuse will see their point totals reduced.

Judges will be scoring by the following criteria:

Overall proposal quality: 40%
Writing: 15%
Reality check: 20%
Met challenge: 25%

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask!

EDIT: Since we're not doing eliminations or sign-ups, anyone new who's interested in joining may do so! Always glad to see more interest.

Last edited:

FigmentPigments

Just a heads up! Anyone else who'd like to submit a proposal for challenge one has until midnight PST to do so.

The official thread is here. Or post your proposals on this thread and I'll repost 'em off-site.
I'm having a hard time posting pictures, changing font size, or bolding text. I followed the directions posted in the sign up thread but I cannot figure out what I'm doing wrong. :oops: Can anyone advise on a possible solution? I know I can post here and have it transferred over, but I would like to try to do this correctly. Any help would be appreciated. :)

D Hulk

Original Poster
I'm having a hard time posting pictures, changing font size, or bolding text. I followed the directions posted in the sign up thread but I cannot figure out what I'm doing wrong. :oops: Can anyone advise on a possible solution? I know I can post here and have it transferred over, but I would like to try to do this correctly. Any help would be appreciated. :)
Let's see what happens when writing in HTML code on this site.

<b>bold</b>
<i>italics</i>

(EDIT: What I've typed above would make the word "bold" look bold on TPI.)

Are you using a photo hosting website for pics? I've used photobucket before, but they no longer do free public sharing. Using Flickr, you might be able to get an HTML link for your image which you can copy/paste into your document.

Sorry for the technical snafus. TPI's method is shockingly counterintuitive. Worst case scenario, I guess, is you could post your work here and I could try transfering it over to TPI. Hope this all is helpful. :)

FigmentPigments

Let's see what happens when writing in HTML code on this site.

<b>bold</b>
<i>italics</i>

(EDIT: What I've typed above would make the word "bold" look bold on TPI.)

Are you using a photo hosting website for pics? I've used photobucket before, but they no longer do free public sharing. Using Flickr, you might be able to get an HTML link for your image which you can copy/paste into your document.

Sorry for the technical snafus. TPI's method is shockingly counterintuitive. Worst case scenario, I guess, is you could post your work here and I could try transfering it over to TPI. Hope this all is helpful. :)
Okay, thank you! I will try these and see if they don't work. I did use photobucket to try and paste to the site and it didn't work, but now I know why. :) I'll try flickr instead and see where that takes me. Thanks again!

D Hulk

Original Poster
THEME PARK APPRENTICE 9: CHALLENGE 3 - IMPROVE A PARK’S FOOD SERVICE

When people think “theme park food,” they usually think funnel cakes, chewy burgers, indifferent hot dogs and Lovecraftian pizzas. But there are exceptions to this rule, parks such as Dollywood or Epcot whose wonderful food service alone causes guests to visit!

Challenge Three of “Theme Park Apprentice: Extreme Park Makeover” asks you to select a park that is not known for its quality dining, and to improve its overall food service. Once again, any park is allowed, as long as you can convince us that its food is sub-par. To succeed in this task, you must create a cohesive selection of food offerings across the entire park (in broad strokes, of course). You must also create a themed restaurant, something at the quality of Three Broomsticks or Be Our Guest, which can serve as you park’s new culinary flagship.

All proposals are due on Saturday, July 29th, at midnight site time. Late proposals without an acceptable excuse will see their point totals reduced.

Judging criteria remains the same as before.

D Hulk

Original Poster
Thank you players, thank you fellow judges! The points are in for this round, as follows:

@FigmentPigments - 96
Kenny Cook - 89
@spacemt354 - 84
@tcool - 79
Deadpool - 77

Congrats to FigmentPigments for another top finish! And to all players, we have a tight competition for second place - and once the top three reach the finals, all cumulative scores go bye-bye.

So it really is anyone's game, with write-ups getting even stronger this week, and no potential eliminations in sight. I look forward to seeing your ideas for challenge 3!

D Hulk

Original Poster
THEME PARK APPRENTICE 9: CHALLENGE 4 - MAKE A HEADLINER FOR A SMALL PARK

It’s hard to stand out in the theme park industry, especially for smaller regional parks which lack the budgets or franchises of the top dogs. And yet every once in a while, a small park will knock it out of the, well, the park, with a major headliner attraction that puts them on the map. Think of the Cannibal coaster at Lagoon in Utah.

“Theme Park Apprentice: Extreme Park Makeover” now sends you deep into the regional trenches, to design a standout headliner attraction for an obscure park. The attraction itself can be anything you like, a thrill ride, a family ride, a show, or something else entirely. The key is to use an independently-owned regional park, so nothing from chains like Merlin or Cedar Fair or Six Flags, to say nothing of Disney or Universal. Need help finding such a park, let us know. And keep in mind realism. The local “Pitch ‘n’ Putt” won’t be making the next Flights of Passage, but it still could make something really outstanding with the right creativity!

All proposals are due on Saturday, August 5th, at midnight site time. Late proposals without an acceptable excuse will see their point totals reduced.

D Hulk

Original Poster
We've digested the Challenge 3 scores, and here are the tasty results:

@FigmentPigments - 92
@spacemt354 - 80
Deadpool - 2

Additionally, since both Kenny Cook and @tcool had to take Real Life Passes this week, they will receive scores 10 points below the lowest (serious) proposal, spacemt's. So they each receive 70 points.

The resulting overall standings are:

FigmentPigments - 283
tcool - 239
spacemt354 - 232
Kenny Cook - 228
Deadpool - 160

Congratulations, Deadpool, you've fallen over 100 points behind our leader, and are officially eliminated! Thank you for bringing your unique meta perspective to our game. Good luck in your future endeavors with Cable.

Even with Real Life Passes in play, the battle for 2nd place remains tight. Here's to hoping this coming week proves less hectic for our remaining competitors. I fully expect to see some really outside-the-box solutions for Challenge 4!

D Hulk

Original Poster
THEME PARK APPRENTICE 9: CHALLENGE 5 - CREATE A NEW SHOW

Everyone loves rides, but sometimes a successful show is the perfect way to add variety to a theme park. For guests, shows offer a change of pace and a break between thrill rides. A brilliant show can even lend a park its own unique identity, be it a headlining spectacular, an end-of-day showstopper, or even a quieter offering.

This week, “Theme Park Apprentice: Extreme Park Makeover” asks you to propose a new headliner show for a theme park which is lacking in this area. Once again, any park is allowable, though make sure your proposed show will be your park’s headliner. That is, if you suggest a show for Disneyland, it needs to be even better than Fantasmic…so maybe look at other park options as well. You are welcome to use any type of show, including live theater, parades, fireworks, water spectaculars, animatronic revues, et cetera. Heck, hybridize show types, or create a new type of show altogether! Wow us with your out-of-the-box ideas!

All proposals are due on Saturday, August 12th, at midnight site time. Late proposals without an acceptable excuse will see their point totals reduced. Let us know if you anticipate a real life conflict.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom