'The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler Weekend'

Ariel484

That 5K medallion is awesome! And someday I will get that 10-miler medal...some day...

Speaking of, I wonder what they will do with the 10-miler medal for the 5th anniversary? I'd be curious to see what they come up with for a re-design. Seems like they sort of stuck themselves in a corner naming it the ToT 10-miler...

a2grafix

That 5K medallion is awesome! And someday I will get that 10-miler medal...some day...

Speaking of, I wonder what they will do with the 10-miler medal for the 5th anniversary? I'd be curious to see what they come up with for a re-design. Seems like they sort of stuck themselves in a corner naming it the ToT 10-miler...

Unsure how runDisney can redesign the Tower 10 miler finishers medal. It has a spring-loaded elevator and it glows in the dark. Maybe I can see runDisney making the finishers medal into a large element, like the elevator cage. But the Hollywood Tower Hotel with the falling elevator is timeless.

Yeah, the Tower 10 miler finishers medal should not be fiddled with. But if runDisney knows how to plus the finishers medal out what other elements from the ride can be used to represent the run?

dreamfinder

Could do one that focuses more on the elevator itself, or something that focuses on a bellhop. They can change design elements while still keeping it in the same thematic style.

a2grafix

Could do one that focuses more on the elevator itself, or something that focuses on a bellhop. They can change design elements while still keeping it in the same thematic style.

Ohhh, maybe a desk bell for the bellhop, like they have in the gift shop. Interesting.

amy1985

Hello everyone,

I had been training hard for this run (my first disney run) when I got quite sick and ended up hospitalized, and my training got very sidetracked. I'm back on my feet and while I know I just won't get up to 10 miles in the required time, my plan is to run what I can. during the race, if/ when I am over 16 min/mile, they put you on a bus? Do you still get a medal or is that only for finishers? How do you get into the after party at Hollywood studios?

Ariel484

Hello everyone,

I had been training hard for this run (my first disney run) when I got quite sick and ended up hospitalized, and my training got very sidetracked. I'm back on my feet and while I know I just won't get up to 10 miles in the required time, my plan is to run what I can. during the race, if/ when I am over 16 min/mile, they put you on a bus? Do you still get a medal or is that only for finishers? How do you get into the after party at Hollywood studios?
I'm sorry to hear that you were sick. Before I get to your questions, do keep in mind that you still have 3 months to train for the race - don't throw in the towel yet!

Having said that...
1. Yes, I have read that they will put swept runners on a bus. I believe they have certain mile markers they want runners to get to in a certain amount of time. If a runner is in danger of falling back, I think they (the sweepers) will give some sort of warning before they sweep.
2. Yes, they will give swept runners a medal
3. Swept runners are, I think, bused to the finish area, so it would be no problem to get to the party

Good luck with your recovery. :)

Texas84

Hello everyone,

My cousin had to quit once with sinus issues. Difficult to run when you can't breathe. I made sure she got to a med tent and she had to sit there until the course was clear. Then she was bussed to the finish line and given a medal. She didn't want it but they insisted.

Good luck!

dreamfinder

Hello everyone,

As already said, they should sweep periodically. On a 10mi course, not many sweep points. Assuming its still roughly the same course, I'd say about the 5k and 10k. That way they can stage the buses in the AK parking area, and also at WWoS parking area. You will not be left on the course. They will bring you to the finish area, so you will be in the after party space.

The medals is a point of contention. Typically they do give medals to people who got swept, but that could change.

DizNerd

Ugh! I wish I had found this forum sooner! I am registered for the TOT this year and I'm very excited BUT I didn't submit a time for corral placement because I (foolishly) didn't think it was a big deal. Now I've read about the troubles of being in the last corral and it's too late to do anything about it. So, any advice for me? I'm not very fast (my pace tends to be anywhere from 11 - 12.5 min/miles. I'm also going to be there with two buddies who are pretty new runners.

Texas84

Ugh! I wish I had found this forum sooner! I am registered for the TOT this year and I'm very excited BUT I didn't submit a time for corral placement because I (foolishly) didn't think it was a big deal. Now I've read about the troubles of being in the last corral and it's too late to do anything about it. So, any advice for me? I'm not very fast (my pace tends to be anywhere from 11 - 12.5 min/miles. I'm also going to be there with two buddies who are pretty new runners.

Welcome! You shouldn't have any trouble at that pace. You might have to deal with a slow start until you hit Osceola where it opens up. Then you can start passing the walkers.

amy1985

Is anyone staying at the wilderness lodge for ToT? I'm thinking of leaving for the race around 7, as I've read that you should leave early. Will my husband be able to come on the bus with me? Will he be able to see me cross the finish line? (He has a villains ticket) if anyone is staying would they want to take the bus with me? It's my first time running and it seems like the races are really logistically challenging

dreamfinder

Is anyone staying at the wilderness lodge for ToT? I'm thinking of leaving for the race around 7, as I've read that you should leave early. Will my husband be able to come on the bus with me? Will he be able to see me cross the finish line? (He has a villains ticket) if anyone is staying would they want to take the bus with me? It's my first time running and it seems like the races are really logistically challenging

Well, if you are on the bus during the window they provide, you should make the start. However if you get there towards the end, you will encounter significantly longer lines for bag check, port o potties, etc. Some people would rather not chance waiting in those lines, not making their appropriate corral, etc and would rather spend time hanging out at the start area by taking an earlier bus.
Your husband should be able to ride the bus with you. That would drop you both off at the start staging area. He should be able to make his way to the start, take a shuttle bus to WWoS to see you run through there, and then if he has a villains ticket cheer you on inside DHS. Last years guide indicated being able to cheer at the finish area, but I don't recall seeing any spectators at that backstage area. Plenty of people lined the streets in DHS however.

dreamfinder

Thank you so much! Do you think I should leave earlier than 7?

Well, last year I believe the buses started running at 7, last bus for runners at 8. Spectators should be able to get later buses if desired, but you would want to see this years specific info for confirmation. But since gun time was at 10, I recall them trying to get everyone moving into their staging corrals closer to 9:15. There is a 10-15 minute walk from the staging areas to the start line. So they started the first corrals walking over around 9:30, then had them wait at the start area for 10-15 minutes. So you don't really need to leave any earlier than 7. Last year I think I walked out Epcot's IG at 8ish, and had enough time to make it over, drop my bag, and find my family. There is a fair amount of extra time built into their time windows, but after they had to delay the start time for some races (First ToT 13k I'm looking at you) because so many people were stuck in traffic (buses included) trying to make it to the start, they have been much more cautious in their time windows. Which means that races now typically flow smoothly, but runners tend to have a lot of time hanging around listening to a DJ Play "Let It Go" and "What Does The Fox Say?".

draybook

We've started training for this as well. We're planning on going next year, so we have plenty of time to train. I am NOT a great runner, especially long distance. Couple that with my light asthma and my bad feet/shin splints and it can be a chore but we're determined. So 16 minutes per mile is the standard, right? Currently, the Mrs. meets me up at the city park when I leave work and we walk/jog a 6 mile route. I believe we usually are averaging about 16:30 per mile but like I said, the walking to running ratio is largely lopsided. We're really looking forward to this and the only other obstacle is getting her parents to go with us so they can watch the kids while we do the run.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom