Trip Report **COMPLETED!** The Triple Threat Trip Report- Christmas and New Years at the Happiest Place on Earth

Ah, where do I start? It’s hard to believe that three weeks ago my family and I had just started our fantastic Christmas Vacation. Now, I am bracing myself for one of the coldest winters in 30 years. It’s amazing how much a difference of a thousand miles makes! Anyway, on to my trip report!

For a future warning, I apologize for any grammar mistakes, lagging in the report, and so forth. It has been over two years since I have actually written a trip report and quite frankly, I have missed it!

You can read my pre trip report here:http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/the-triple-threat-pre-trip-report.877490/#post-5824484

Also, if you’d like to know me more, you can read my last trip report, circa summer 2011: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...hot-days-fun-times-and-plenty-of-food.762909/

Let me reintroduce my family and myself:

Top: Left: My sister, Jodi. Right: Me, Jessica
Bottom: My parents

Okay, now that you all know my cast, I'll get this "show" started!

The term triple-threat comes from the fact that our vacation was actually three vacations in one. The plan was to stay in the Sarasota area of Florida for a little over a week, go on a quick, three day, bahamian can cruise, and spend the remaining days (about 12) in Disney.

We left for Florida on Friday, December 13. Just a few days before we left, I came to the realization of the date that we were leaving on! I am a firm believer of this day being unlucky for a number of reason but this belief was proven true on the day we left...

I work at a school for a couple hours a day monitoring students during their lunch and recess periods, so we planned on leaving right after I got out of work. Well, that did not happen. The morning we were to depart, I woke up with, what felt like, a golf ball sized lump in my throat. I almost decided to suck it up and just go to work, but since my job requires me to talk, I made the difficult decision to call off and go to the emergency clinic. I am soooo glad I did! I ended up testing positive for strep throat, and I could have made it worse by going to work and not treating it. This was just my luck with Friday, the 13th. To add to our bad luck, my mom was down with a "bug," too. My sister, Jodi, was getting over being sick, and my dad was coming down with something, as well. This is one of the reasons why I am not fond of traveling in the winter due to everyone being sick and all, but my family is never able to get this kind of time off during any other season.

Anyway, we still ended up leaving on that day. We had no other choice. Since we were driving and pulling a camper, we had to due to a snowstorm that was going to hit our hometwon, Chicago, the next day. But, we still caught the darn thing that day. The snowstorm ended up being an entire front that stretched from northern Florida to Illinois. The snow turned into a down poor as we hit the South. In all, it was on of the worse 'drive-downs' we have ever had. It took us 28 hours to get to Sarasota, FL rather than usually taking 18 hours. Moral of this story: Never start your vacation on Friday, the 13th!

Here are some photos of the day we arrived. I won't bore you all with the first two parts of the vacation since they are not Disney related, but I will show you some of our photos on the way down and such!

On our second day of driving, I was feeling a bit better after loading up on Motrin and taking my required antibiotics. We were extremely hungry after our several hour pit stop at the rest stop, so we ate at a Waffle House somewhere in Georgia. A Waffle House stop is always a must on our way down to Florida since it is one of my favorite:

Mmmmm Waffle House Food

My mom obviously enjoyed her meal, haha

We arrived in Sarasota about 9 at night and stayed at the Myakka State Park for the night. Our campground was booked for the Saturday night, so staying at Myakka was a last minute decision. We then headed over to Fort De Soto Campground, where we stayed until the following Sunday, December 22. That Sunday was crazy! We had to leave the campground and head over to Disney to drop our pets off at Best Friends for the cruise. In addition, Disney was so kind enough to let us park our camper for free in the parking lot at Fort Wilderness until we checked in, which saved us a big chunk of money.

The sign! Jodi and I were kind of bummed that we had to leave Disney, and we weren't even excited to go on the cruise. In all, we had an awesome time on the cruise, and it was extremely relaxing, but we couldn't wait to get back to our animals and spend the rest of our vacation at the happiest place on earth.

Next: Our Disney arrival and my review on Best Friends since it was our first time ever boarding our pets!

Disneygal1

Original Poster
Ohhh, I guess I have some more photos of HS right before we left!

DSC_0775.JPG

DSC_0776.JPG

The only thing that bummed me out about leaving HS early was not seeing the Osborn Lights.
DSC_0778.JPG

DSC_0783.JPG

Once we got to the Wilderness Lodge, I could not help but take a million pictures. The lodge is majestical in itself, but when it comes to christmastime, that majestic-ness is taken to a whole new level.
DSC_0793.JPG

DSC_0803.JPG

DSC_0802.JPG

DSC_0805.JPG

DSC_0807.JPG

DSC_0808 - Version 2.jpg

Disneygal1

Original Poster
I'm pretty sure my mom and Jodi were getting a bit frustrated with me since I just kept snapping away, but I can't help it!

DSC_0810.JPG

DSC_0811.JPG

DSC_0814.jpg

When we went outside to head over to the dock, I noticed that it was extremely foggy, and it looked pretty cool. So, of course, I had to take pictures.

DSC_0818 - Version 2.JPG

DSC_0820.JPG

DSC_0826 - Version 2.jpg

DSC_0824.JPG

DSC_0821.jpg

DSC_0827.JPG

DSC_0829.JPG

Disneygal1

Original Poster
As we waited for the boat we decided on where we should have dinner and of course, our decisions was Trails End. We can't help but love this place. It is just so darn good, so I highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't been there!

DSC_0831.JPG

DSC_0836.JPG

There was about a 45 minute wait for Trails End, so Jodi and I hung out on the porch. It also started to rain and really cool down, which led my mom to run over and buy a sweatshirt at the Trading Post.

I just had to take pictures of FW's Christmas Decorations...
DSC_0841 - Version 2.JPG

DSC_0845.JPG

DSC_0839.jpg

She was happy that she got her sweatshirt :)
DSC_0850.JPG

DSC_0852.JPG

DSC_0862.JPG

DSC_0857.JPG

Sadly, I did not take any food photos since the food is basically the same, but I can tell you that it did not disappoint. I also splurged and ordered a hot chocolate, which was ahhh-mazing.
DSC_0863.JPG

Next up: A Day at the Animal Kingdom!

Disneygal1

Original Poster
Day 8: Animal Kingdom

We got up pretty early to go to Animal Kingdom, partly because we knew it was going to be crowded since it was the day before New Year's Eve. Right when I woke up, I made reservations so we could go right to Kilimanjaro's Safari.

DSC_0865.jpg

DSC_0869.JPG

Our FastPass+ reservations!
DSC_0967.JPG

DSC_0871.JPG

As you can see, it was pretty crowded!
DSC_0872.JPG

DSC_0882.JPG

DSC_0884.JPG

DSC_0887.JPG

DSC_0889.JPG

DSC_0890.jpg

Disneygal1

Original Poster
Okay, so I've been having issues with my Mac's photo editor, which has caused me to email my edited photos to myself since it will only upload the unedited versions. In a nutshell, I hate technology... and iPhoto.

Anyway, we kind of took our time to get to Kilimanjaro's Safari since we had gotten to AK so early.

Mail Attachment-8.jpeg

We saw these guys as we entered Africa.
Mail Attachment-6.jpeg

Mail Attachment-7.jpeg

Mail Attachment-5.jpeg

Mail Attachment-3.jpeg

Mail Attachment-4.jpeg

Mail Attachment-1.jpeg

I'm trying to capture the essence of our experience with this picture... haha
Mail Attachment.jpeg

Mail Attachment-2.jpeg

Mail Attachment-9.jpeg

Last edited:

Disneygal1

Original Poster
Mail Attachment-2.jpeg

If you look really hard in this picture, you can see the lion that I was attempting to take a picture of. I totally forgot my larger lens in the car, which I was bummed about, but I tried to make the best of it.
Mail Attachment-4.jpeg

We were really surprised to find out that the safari no longer consists of capturing the poachers and saving the elephant. My mom asked a cast member about it, and we were told that they got rid of it for the guests to have more photo opportunities. Either way, I still love the safari!

Mail Attachment-3.jpeg

Mail Attachment-8.jpeg

Jodi and my dad had FastPass+ reservations for Mount Everest, so my mom and I stayed behind. Actually, I even made reservations for me and my mom so that Jodi and my dad could go on it twice. This is a great tip for people who don't use their fastpasses up! My mom and I would just hand over our magic bands to my sister and dad, and use our key cards instead.

Mail Attachment-9.jpeg

Mail Attachment-1.jpeg

After Mount Everest, we met up and walked around.

Mail Attachment-5.jpeg

Mail Attachment-6.jpeg

Mail Attachment-7.jpeg

Oh, and we also took a family photo :)
Mail Attachment.jpeg

Last edited:

Disneygal1

Original Poster
Mail Attachment-8.jpeg

...and my dad was making fun of my mom for being hungry.
Mail Attachment-4.jpeg

Oh, and this happened.
Mail Attachment-9.jpeg

Beautiful
Mail Attachment-3.jpeg

After hanging around, we went over to Dinosaur. My mom's back is pretty touchy, so she chose to not go on it and meet up with us after.

After the ride, we ended up going on the Train to Rafiki's Planet Watch since we hadn't done that in forever. My dad loves all things educational, so he had a blast.

Mail Attachment-1.jpeg

Mail Attachment-9.jpeg

My parents got an education about elephant honey as Jodi and I walked around.
Mail Attachment.jpeg

So serious...
Mail Attachment-6.jpeg

Soon after, we left because we were pretty hungry. We decided to head over to the Animal Kingdom Lodge and have a bite there.
Mail Attachment-7 10.30.25 PM.jpeg

Hello, beautiful...
Mail Attachment-5.jpeg

Disneygal1

Original Poster
Your Beaches n Cream pictures have me SO hungry! And craving that grilled cheese! I had the open faced pot roast sandwich - which was amazing...but I tried a bit of my friends grilled cheese w/the soup. Fantastic! Definitely can't wait to eat there again soon!

Great TR!

I have no idea how I dodged replying to your post. That grilled cheese sandwich was one of my best meals in Disney, hands does. The pot roast sandwich sounds good, though, so I may have to try it next time! Thanks for reading!

PrincessNelly_NJ

Wow, just getting around to reading your trip report.
First off, please tell me how you lost 70 pounds! You look great!
Second, this report is pretty awesome!

Disneygal1

Original Poster
Wow, just getting around to reading your trip report.
First off, please tell me how you lost 70 pounds! You look great!
Second, this report is pretty awesome!

Thank you! I just watched what I ate and worked out occasionally. Back in high school and my first semester of college, I ate a lot of junk. I'm all about eating healthy now and feel much better, but vacations are always an exception! Thanks for reading, and I'm glad you're enjoying it!

Last edited:

Disneygal1

Original Poster
Once we got to AKL, we had a quick bite at the quick service restaurant. For some reason my dad loves that place, idk why, but he does, so we ate there. It was pretty good, but your typical Disney quick service food. After lunch, the sun came out and we relaxed outside on the chairs near the pool. The sun felt sooooo good. Jodi kept wanting to get up and walk around, but the rest of us could not find ourselves to get up since the sun was so hypnotizing! A little while after, we got up and headed towards the flamingos.

That sun!!
Mail Attachment-1.jpeg

Mail Attachment-7.jpeg

Seriously, it blows my mind how a difference of a 1,000 miles makes! During this time, Chicago was being bombarded with frigid temps and constant snow storms. Needless to say, we were feeling pretty blessed.

Mail Attachment-2.jpeg

Mail Attachment-4.jpeg

Mail Attachment-6.jpeg

Mail Attachment.jpeg

Mail Attachment-5.jpeg

Mail Attachment-8.jpeg

Disneygal1

Original Poster
We also stopped in AKL's neat store...

Mail Attachment-3.jpeg

After that, we headed back to the campground. Jodi, my mom, and I then decided to go hotel hopping, as usual. Because we simply never get sick of doing that...

On our way to the boat dock.
Mail Attachment-1.jpeg

Mail Attachment-2.jpeg

Mail Attachment-6.jpeg

Mail Attachment-9.jpeg

As we were waiting for the boat, someone pointed out that there was a bird trying to catch a fish that was almost his size. The bird/duck thing ended up catching the fish, and it turned out to be a show in itself! It was so weird because the bird swallowed the fish whole, very odd.

Oh, and I happened to take a picture of the incident in action. Too bad the fish was pretty much swallowed by the time I took it, though.
Mail Attachment-8.jpeg

Our boat took us to the Contemporary, so we headed on the monorail.

Loveee this view.
Mail Attachment.jpeg

So serious...
Mail Attachment-4.jpeg

Once we got to the Grand Floridian, we noticed something... There were a bunch of balloons tied up! I assumed these were for NYE, which I'm pretty sure they were.
Mail Attachment-5.jpeg

I also was surprised to notice that the Polynesian's Christmas tree was so small.
Mail Attachment-7.jpeg

Disneygal1

Original Poster
Mail Attachment.jpeg

Mail Attachment-9.jpeg

Mail Attachment-8.jpeg

Someone didn't want their picture taken.
Mail Attachment-3.jpeg

After visiting all of the hotels on the monorail, we took the boat over to the Wilderness Lodge and of course, I went picture crazy. I'm sorry, but I can't help myself.

Mail Attachment-1.jpeg

Mail Attachment-2.jpeg

My mom thought taking a picture on the bench was necessary. I seriously cannot stop laughing at it because I look like I'm 12.
Mail Attachment-6.jpeg

Mail Attachment-4.jpeg

Mail Attachment-5.jpeg

Mail Attachment-7.jpeg

wishes2013

Awesome pictures! I love the relaxed attitude you guys have about touring the parks. And the resort hopping. I'm hoping more of that will happen on my next trip!

Disneygal1

Original Poster
Awesome pictures! I love the relaxed attitude you guys have about touring the parks. And the resort hopping. I'm hoping more of that will happen on my next trip!

We've done it all so it's very nice to be mellow about everything. We truly enjoy just hanging out and taking in our surround; you notice a lot of the small things! Thanks for reading! Have fun on your next trip and enjoy :)

Disneygal1

Original Poster
We ended our night by catching one of the boats over to Ft. Wilderness.

But, of course, I had to take pictures before we got to the dock...

DSC_0081.jpg

DSC_0084.JPG

Beautiful.
DSC_0090.JPG

DSC_0094.JPG

Next up: Day 9: Our worst decision ever... Going to the parks on New Year's Eve. Oh, and is it possible to really have a terrible meal on Disney grounds?

Also, I apologize for the delays in posts, lately. School has been a drag, but things should be winding down soon, which means more post, and that this report will be done soon. Thanks to everyone who is still reading. I hope it's enjoyable!

Dana Boo

Hi there- so I'm a lurker, have been for awhile now, my husband always asks me why I don't post trip reports... Anyway- This is my first post, I just couldn't help myself because I saw your USF sweatshirt and I got so excited!! I am from Joliet, went to JT West for HS, and my dad and I always went to watch the men's and women's basketball games at St. Francis when I was in HS and after I graduated college when I went back to the J (I live in Indiana now, otherwise we probably still would)- I also took summer school classes at JJC. I just adore all of your photos, my family used to go to Disney every Christmas- to this day, I get sad on the 23rd of December b/c that was always the day we flew out!! Thanks for sharing your trip with us!! :) Can't wait for more.
-Dana

PolynesianPrincess

Just got caught up on this! Love the TR so far!!

My mother always talks about tenting at Ft. Wilderness. WL is our favorite resort and the few times we have been over to Ft. Wilderness the last few years for Hoop Dee Doo, it's so pretty. Looks so awesome at Christmas!

I'm in the same boat with taking pictures. I have a DSLR and always stopping to take pictures while my Mom and sister wait for me.

Can't wait to read some more!! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom