The Top 5 Things I Miss Most about Disneyworld

KeeKee

Epcot before all of the characters; before it became an extension of the Magic Kingdom.

Also, and probably the most, I miss being able to visit the parks - any of them - without having to be searched like a criminal before entering. Seems incongruous that there has to be such a procedure before entering "the happiest place on earth"... Maybe it's just me...

Ralphlaw

The last TTA narration before this latest bland monstrosity.

Also miss the old fastpasses, but appreciate how FP+ allows us to sleep in. I wish there was a combination of FP+ and the old style.

I never saw the old old Star Tours, with Peewee Herman's voice as Captain Rex, but that must've been something. If you think about it, that whole narration makes a lot more sense with Peewee Herman, but I understand how perversion ruined that.

The Jeremy Irons Spaceship Earth narration had a truly mysterious quality, as did the old Mexican boat ride before 3 cabelleros.

By the way, what happened in the Odyssey? What kind of Food? What kind of show? Very curious.

Last edited:

Matt_Black

I never saw the old old Star Tours, with Peewee Herman's voice as Captain Rex, but that must've been something. If you think about it, that whole narration makes a lot more sense with Peewee Herman, but I understand how perversion ruined that.

If you're curious for what it was kind of like, there was an episode of Star Wars Rebels that had Paul Reubens (Pee-Wee) voicing the character again.

Sean23

1. River Country went 25 times the last year it was open(2001) not knowing it was going to close.
2. Horizons
3. The Original Imagination
4. Mr. Toad
5. Skyway

KCheatle

(1) I'm with you OP - I miss River Country. Logistically, it would be a nightmare now because when I went as a kid, you were staying at either the Contemp, Poly, GF or the campgrounds, so getting there was no big deal. I have no idea how they'd bus everyone in now?? But, for what it's worth, I loved it and am sad every time I look at the area now.:cry:

(2) Ditto on figment. I have so many wonderful memories from that ride and the upstairs part. I remember being so disappointed when I took my DD the first time after I hadn't been to WDW in about 6-7 years, and it was just not at all what I remembered or had hyped it up to be to her and my DH (who had never been to WDW before).:eek:

(3) I miss the simplicity. No, WDW has never been a relaxing trip, but it's gotten overly complicated with all the reserving. I don't like to be scheduled on a vacation. But, the reality is if you don't get on board and reserve everything, it's your loss in the end. :cautious:

(4) I miss Frontierland. Yes, it's still there technically, but it's dead. The Golden Horseshoe show is gone, the old time gun battles in the streets aren't done anymore. Probably because one crazy PC parent fought that cowboys and gun fights were bad for kids. :(

(5) I miss all the unique experiences, like waking up Tinkerbell or finding the paint brushes on Tom Sawyer island. I loved that if you cared enough, you could learn little things about WDW that made your trip that much more special. Seems like they cut all of that out too. Now everyone just gets the same stickers over and over again.:(

squidward

Too many to list specifically, so I'll group them:

1.Epcot of old - Horizons, Living Seas, Wonders of Life, Jeremy Irons narration on Spaceship Earth, World of Motion, original Test Track, El Rio De Tiempo, and of course, Maelstrom.

2.Magic Kingdom of old - Snow White's Adventures, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Skyway, Diamond Horseshoe, previous TTA narration, PUSH, Mickey's Toontown, Alien Encounter, Characters at Liberty Tree, Penny Arcade.

3.Affordability. Resort prices are completely out of control. Same goes for Annual Passes. I just renewed 5 Universal AP's for just a bit more than the cost of 1 WDW AP.

4.Old Fastpass. No one is going to change my mind about it. Been there twice with Fastpass+. It sucks.Old narration on monorail. The new guy is just awful. Old Polynesian lobby.

5.Downtown Disney of the late 90's early 2000's. It used to offer unique shopping and entertainment.

Bonus: Michael Eisner in general. Say whatever you want about the guy. He was in charge when Disney had it's greatest growth, it's greatest additions. Ever since he left, things have gone downhill.

BrerWayne

-Carousel of Progress with the old narration. I'm a huge Jean Shepherd fan, but the performance is muddy sounding and lacking compared to any of the previous incarnations.
-Fastpasses where you could ride a favorite ride 4 or 5 times in a day and folks walking through the gate without buying a ticket multiple weeks in advance and reserving had a shot at fastpasses for anything popular.
-Spontaneity while on vacation for a sit down table service meal.
-I will soon find out and report back, but cleanliness...the last time we went in 2009, we were disappointed compared to previous years.
-Magic shop with fake rocks, pranks, and glow in the dark skulls....something fun!

OK, 6....Caribbean Plaza without the jamming in of the carpet spinner/spitting camel. It just doesn't work and shows no forethought.

OK, 7...clean Tomorrowland with the big light blue tower fountains.

But, I am pleased with a non- under new management Tiki Room and the continuation of CoP.
I also like the Jack Sparrow additions to PotC, as well as a dedicated HM shop.
Agree about dining. I have a hard time deciding what I want to eat for lunch today. I really dislike making dining reservations six months in advance.

epcotisbest

As a kid the double decker buses were one of my favorites at world showcase. Always had to do a full lap on top
Yeah, I never went as a kid, but as a young, newly married adult in the early 1980s I was fascinated by those double decker busses. I have a photo somewhere of me sitting behind the wheel of one. Did not get to drive it, but got to pretend!

Blackie Pueblo

It's been a long time since I visited this forum but I'm so glad I came back. But then I read this topic and the responses and it kinda made me nostalgically sad and feeling OLD LOL. So much I too miss from the old days of Disney World

Old Main Street--I miss the feeling that it really was the street of an old town with the fruits and vegtibles and look. And I miss the Main Street Cinema actually being a cinema. It was a great place to relax and really add to the the Main Street feeling

The Original Journey Into Imagination-- with the fantastic team of Dreamfinder and Figment as well as the amazing hands on stuff to do at the end I could have spent hours there

Mr. Toads Wild Ride--Need I say more?

Horizons and World of Motion--Just some fun family adventure to partake on

Alien Encounter--Sure after a while it was the same but it was still fun and creepy and made you jump. The new Stitch ride is just so.. yeah moving on

Delta Dream Flight-- Just another fun ride

Pleasure Island--Loved dancing here with friends and my future wife. Sometimes you did need an adult place to go that felt safe and not too crazy.

I also miss the old feeling of Disney World. It just feels sometimes like a buisness. It's always been I know but it just wasn't as cold and money crazy. I mean the price now is just absurd. It breaks my heart that there are plenty of families and children who wil NEVER be able to enjoy the magic

Wow, I really came back swinging. Sorry I went on so long.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom