the three major choices

matt9112

Original Poster
so you more or less get to stay at three types of hotel/resorts in the WDW/orlando area. You can stay at a Disney owned property,You can stay at one of the non Disney DTD hotel/resorts and of course off site likely somewhere on I drive.

So im big into staying at the Disney resorts and have had brief experiences with the two other options when i was younger and did not like them...so i know what you get with each on paper..as i lived in the area for a bit but im just asking opinion wise....the DTD props are dirt cheap! and look great! why not?

i have excluded renting houses for comparison.

jlsHouston

I don't know because I have only stayed on property but I noticed the Sheraton at DTD had some $ 99 rates but I would only probably book something like that to stay an extra day or if I was arriving at like 2 or 3 am because of the drive in and for sure my room at the resort wouldn't be ready...

The Incredible Schmulk

We have only ever stayed on property, so that's the the extent of my Disney experience. I figure, since we can afford it, why not? You get all o the Disney-owned hotel benefits plus the ability to stay inside the bubble without much difficulty. The only exception I can see humoring at this point in our touring lives would be Bonnet Creek or the Waldorf. Lofty goals, but I think it would be worth it for the experience.

JIMINYCR

On property is the only way I will go. Total immersion into Disney for me. I don't care about the cost, cause I plan for it and know my budget can handle it. I know I'd be disappointed staying any other way. I want to enjoy my time at Disney to the fullest. I know other people say... it's only a room and how much time do you really spend in the resort, you only sleep there, most of your time is spent in the parks. I know... but the time I do spend at the resort, I want it to be as Disney as possible. No other option for me. On site.

Disneyhead'71

Or.....if you are looking for a luxurious adult alternative to the mind-booglingly over prices deluxes, I prefer here. It is neither a DtD off-shoot nor an I-Drive Dive.

http://www.grandelakes.com

But you are right, it's blissfully free of the 1,100 "hidden Mickeys" between the front desk and my room.

tare

We were once offered by friends to stay at their condo right behind ak for about $700 for a week. We just couldn't do it. The convenience of disney transportation and just knowing you are sleeping in mickeys world has us sold for life.

Ariel1986

We have stayed in the Best Western on DTD a few times, mostly on either end of staying on site but we have done and still consider doing the whole of future holidays here- because yes at certain times you can get it dirt cheap, you can walk to DTD plus it does have free shuttles to the parks every 30 mins.

Our main reason we like staying here however is because of the view from the balcony- you can't get this (which includes both Epcot fireworks and further in the distance MK fireworks at night) for $50-$120 a night (our previous stays' price ranges!) at one of the official Disney hotels :eek: :

Foto-QPCT4NBR.jpg

Foto-XHI646SA.jpg

That's the Contemporary and BLT all the way at the back right of the picture lol!

Foto-86NA3X4O.jpg

Even so, I do love staying on property with the EMH, more frequent transportation and the overall experience. But when the budget is smaller, the above isn't too bad of a consolation prize ;).

The Empress Lilly

Our main reason we like staying here however is because of the view from the balcony

Foto-XHI646SA.jpg
Now that's how to wake up! Well done! Great room. :)
Over the years, I've stayed at the majority of the DTD hotels. I find them very conveniently located, with excellent price-quality.

I must say the value of this location has gone down. It was even better when you could buy your groceries at The Village, or could walk home from a night aboard the splendid Empress Lilly. With the demise of Pleasure Island and the franchisification of the Village the area holds less appeal now.

luv

By excluding rental homes and condos, you're really not getting an accurate cross-section. Just sayin'
Couldn't agree more.

The luxury of space is a wonderful thing on vacation. You don't have to stay far from Disney, either.

You get so much more. The fact that you pay less is just icing on the cake.

But if I had to choose between a room at WDW and a room on I-drive, I would probably take the Disney room.

matt9112

Original Poster
Couldn't agree more.

The luxury of space is a wonderful thing on vacation. You don't have to stay far from Disney, either.

You get so much more. The fact that you pay less is just icing on the cake.

But if I had to choose between a room at WDW and a room on I-drive, I would probably take the Disney room.

but its not a hotel...per say with all that comes with it....reason i excluded it because although its a far better value...and offers much more comfort space..and often your own pool...its still not a resort/hotel with all that extra ya know hotel stuff.

HollyAD

Stayed on an off property just last week. We arrived later one evening and stayed at the Clarion in the crossroads area near DTD. It was 75$ a night after taxes so the price was appealing.However driving and parking at DTD was a nightmare. It took 45 min to go about one mile And we had trouble checking in. Yes it was cheaper but not worth the hassle! Many of the DTD hotels have resort and parking fees so if you add it all up it may not save you much money.

luv

but its not a hotel...per say with all that comes with it....reason i excluded it because although its a far better value...and offers much more comfort space..and often your own pool...its still not a resort/hotel with all that extra ya know hotel stuff.
The condo places have places to eat, pools, basketball courts, ping-pong, duck-feeding, housekeeping and front desks with info on all area attractions, as well as coupon books. You can have delivery places bring you food, if you want. They don't usually have bellmen, but I bet that if you tipped someone, you could get your bags hauled for you.

Some condos don't have all that, but some do. :)

Are you excluding the Waldorf, too? It has bellmen and all the best service. :)

Narrowing all of central Florida down to Disney or I-Drive leaves a LOT out. But since those were the choices, I still take Disney. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom