'The Taste of Africa Street Party' coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom on July 9

DebS

Sounds very entertaining. Too bad it ends before I get there August 4th:(
Hopefully it'll be a huge hit and stick around :)

Disneyson 1

Sounds like WDW caught wind of the success of GlowFest and wants to cash in.

DCA didn't even have to make WoC, apparently, because GlowFest (an event similar to this, with liquor and a party atmosphere) has supposedly been rated above WoC by guests.

Captain Hank

I just got back from the Cast preview of Taste of Africa. I enjoyed myself, and I think it'll be successful. The best way to describe it is basically as a mini Food and Wine festival.

The party starts as the Jammin' Jungle Parade comes back into Harambe after traveling around the Tree of Life. As it passes the Dawa Bar, the DJ above one of the buildings (actually, the restrooms, IIRC) announces that the party has begun, and merchants with various carts step into the parade route and follow Mickey's float. Soon after, they're joined by the stiltwalkers from the parade carrying banners along with the party patrols on bikes. As they start to clear out, the ropes from the parade are rolled up, and the DJ gets started and continues throughout the night.

Each of the existing food venues (with the exception of Tusker House) now starts serving Food and Wine-sized portions of African food. A couple additional stands were set up, notably one across from Tamu Tamu near the river. Most that I saw and tried seem very similar, or perhaps identical, to dishes currently served in Boma and Sanaa (I see this as a good thing). Prices were in the $2.50-$4.00 range, and in several cases portions were pretty large for the money--good value and good quality. There was a wine tasting (and non-alcoholic tropical juice tasting) area set up in the courtyard behind Tamu Tamu.

In addition to the food and DJ, there was a band set up in front of Tusker House, and Animal Programs was doing some sort of presentation at the Harambe School. There was also a wood carver in front of Mombassa Marketplace. The Africa Cultural Reps were wandering around and talking to Guests.

There were only a few things I wasn't enamoured of. I thought the DJ was a little too loud, though not to the point of obnoxiousness. The lines for food were also very long, though I think that may have been a function of it being the first night, and the food being free, thus in much higher demand than normal.

So, in conclusion, if you have the opportunity, definitely check this out.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Thanks for the report. Sounds pretty interesting, I would love to be heading down to check it out. Sadly I will not be in WDW till Nov, seems unlikely that it will stick around.

rct247

In addition to Captain Hank's report, I'll added a few comments and things I noticed.

As far as food selections go, a few that I remember include: a type of mini meat pie served with dried fruit, a mango shake, braised beef with a potato mash with a spicy sauce, a shrimp/avacado salad, a spicy curry chicken with rice, coconut macaroons, a honey glazed baklava, and of course the other drink selections already mentioned.

They also had cultural demonstration stations set up including a station on how they juice sugar cane, how they cut a coconut to harvest the meat and milk/water, and another that demonstrated how some places through certain african seeds and spices into a flame to invite people to taste their food. It smelt really good.

The street party was alright, in my opinion. The food was delicious, but the rest seemed a little thrown together at the last minute. Those familiar with the fifa world cup theme by shakira will recognize the street party's theme. It will be interesting to see how guests buy into it and if they will stay in the park later. If not, this is a very good attempt.

gmajew

Premium Member
This sounds like a great reason to stay at the park for a little bit longer and enjoy some food and just relax with the fam!! Nice work!!

mp2bill

I like the sound of this, great use of Harambe if you ask me. I just enjoy hanging around there soaking up the ambiance, and this sounds like an enhancement. I hope the DJ plays African music that isn't too loud, though.

Hoping it is permanent, 'cause I won't be there during the time it's on. Looking forward to some reviews and video once it starts.

Vuvuzelas?

Hahahahahahahaha!

Captain Hank

Oh, one other nice thing that I forgot to mention--the recipes for many of the dishes were freely available at the food stands.

In addition to the dishes mentioned by rct247, I recall a bread pudding with vanilla caramel sauce and Naan bread with several dipping sauces.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom