Trip Report The tale of two Disney-obsessed Atlantic Canadians, March 27-April 3, 2014

Alrighty, well, let me start off by saying that this isn't officially a trip report yet because we don't leave for another six days, but I have a few spare minutes so figured I'd lay the groundwork here.

This report is for me (Tom, 25) and my mom (Peggy, 40+ ...). Here we are last February in the French pavilion:
image_zpsfa62d439.jpg

It's my fourth trip to WDW and her fifth. We're absolutely WDW obsessed. We love everything about it -- thinking about booking, actually booking, make our ADRs, planning what to pack, booking our Fastpasses (we LOVE the new Fastpass+ system so far -- we'll wait and see how well it works at the parks), etc. We've stayed at POR, CB, and CS, and POR is definitely our favourite. This trip, we'll be at POR again, and we've requested Magnolia Bend for the full seven nights. We really like Alligator Bayou, but we want to give "the mansions" a try. Fingers crossed!

We have been planning the trip since Christmas time, and were actually supposed to be there at the same time as my uncle, aunt, and two younger cousins. We were really looking forward to experiencing Disney with some first-timers, and especially with the kids, but unfortunately my youngest cousin broke her leg badly this week while sledding, so they've had to cancel for the time being.

Back to mom and me. Disney is our thing. We generally get along pretty well anyway, but Disney is a bit of a no-brainer for us. We both love how it's such an easy vacation -- no worries, just relaxed for a week but also filled with our favourite activities, great food, drinks, and lots of fireworks. We also both like to shop so DTD is a big favourite, after Epcot of course. I say pretty often that as long as I can afford it, I'll head to WDW at least once a year for the rest of my life. Friends (and even some family, including my two younger brothers) think we're insane for the way we love Disney so much. When we told people we were considering going again this year, we got a lot of responses like "you're going AGAIN?!?!?" and "just you and your mom -- won't you kill each other?!?" Well, nope, I guarantee we'll have fun and we'll want to go back again this time next year!

So, you may be able to tell from my spelling of "favourite" that we're Canadian. We're from Canada's smallest province, Prince Edward Island, on the Atlantic coast among the Maritime provinces (across the Northumberland Strait from New Brunswick and Nova Scotia). Have you heard of PEI mussels? Well, they come from the bays around our island. Have you heard of Anne of Green Gables? Well, her story was based on the island and she was created by islander Lucy Maud Montgomery. The island is also famous for its beautiful white sand beaches, friendly and generous culture, and pristine world-class golf courses.

That said, we've had a particularly harsh winter. So far, we've had nearly three times the usual amount of snow, and it's been bitter cold since Christmas. It's a bit of a frozen wasteland at the moment, which is in stark contrast to how beautiful it is here in the summer. Proof:

Summer: gorgeous beaches all around the island (this is less than a 5 minute walk from my place)
image_zps01669c4d.jpg

And beautiful hiking trails in our national park
image_zps0b8cf58d.jpg

But then there's winter...still beautiful but completely frozen
image_zpsbec72683.jpg

So, you could say that we're really looking forward to some Florida sun.

Next Wednesday, March 26, we'll drive the 3 1/2 hours from my parents' place in Stratford, PEI across the Confederation Bridge to "the mainland" (aka New Brunswick), and straight on through to Halifax, Nova Scotia. We'll stay overnight at an airport hotel and hop on an early morning direct WestJet flight to Orlando on Thursday. Then, we'll take the DME to POR, and we absolutely can't wait!!! I bought a new Canon T3 DSLR for the trip, so I guarantee some decent photos of the sights, the food, and maybe even a few good ones of us having fun. This is my first trip report, so be gentle!

If anyone's interested in some live action, I'll definitely be pretty active on Twitter and Instagram during our trip:
1381544497_Twittericon40x40.jpg
@officialtom
Instagram_Icon_Small.png
@officialtom

Just three more workdays...

Last edited:

officialtom

Original Poster
Great pictures! I especially like the ones from Festival of Fantasy (the one with Flynn on the Tangled float is an awesome shot) and the gorilla photos are great as well!

Thanks!! I give full credit to the camera, and none to the photographer. I like the Flynn pic too. He's a handsome .

officialtom

Original Poster
I absolutely need to finish this TR ASAP because we just booked last night... FOR NEXT MONTH!!! POR Jan 22-29, here we come!!!

Day 6: Animal Kingdom (cont'd)

After our coffee break, we took a stroll through Harambe and gawked at all the animals. AK really is a paradise from another world. I'm very excited for the Avatar expansion. Then we hopped on the Safari with a driver named Goose - he was pretty funny. We got a great view of all of the animals except for the male lion who was taking a nap, as usual.

IMG_1573 by tommypei, on Flickr

IMG_1592 by tommypei, on Flickr

IMG_1627 by tommypei, on Flickr

Off to the Jungle Parade (we missed the first few minutes). It's always a favourite. We followed Mickey out towards the exit of the park.

IMG_1636 by tommypei, on Flickr

And a quick hop over to AKL for our ABSOLUTELY FAVOURITE MEAL at Boma. Next year, we think we'll do the breakfast buffet just for a change. But, as always, it was truly unbelievably delectable. Always blows us away, and leaves us wanting more the next day. We ate as much as we possibly could but of course didn't even get to try half of the dishes.

My favourite is the curried pasta salad. I just wish it had a bit more "bite." The mulligatawny and panna cotta were absolutely to die for too.

IMG_1652 by tommypei, on Flickr

A lovely plant pic for good measure.

IMG_1658 by tommypei, on Flickr

And off we headed to DTD for a quick tear through the shops. We stumbled upon this school choir. They were really good. Mom was super impressed.

Sent a couple vids to instagram:

Obligatory blurry shot of the balloon
IMG_1664 by tommypei, on Flickr

And when we were strolling by Raglan Road, the band was playing the Ramblin Rover - one of my grandfather's favourites and a real sound of home (eastern Canada, with very strong Irish roots). A video of the crowd having a blast:

We shopped for a while but didn't pick anything up. Took the water taxi back to POR and sat by the fire in the bar for a while, before getting to our room to find some more creatures during their storytime!

Tomorrow...EPCOT!!

Last edited:

officialtom

Original Poster
Day 7 (April fool's!): EPCOT

We had a quick breakfast (bagels and cream cheese, I think) and hopped on the bus for EPCOT (yes, I still put it in all caps because I still believe it could someday become what Walt imagined, although for now I'd be happy with a revamp of Canada and/or the addition of a new pavilion!).

Stopped into Starbucks, where there was absolutely no line, for an iced coffee (unsweetened, made with milk, of course), took a stroll around the fountain, and then headed to the butterfly garden.

I think it might be mom's favourite part of EPCOT
IMG_1668 by tommypei, on Flickr

Little video showing the magic

It was still early but we were already thankful for the sun shades. Us Canadians can't really handle the heat, especially when our bodies had gotten used to an already bitterly cold (-20C to -30C) winter.

IMG_1672 by tommypei, on Flickr

Kinda happy with this shot
IMG_1673 by tommypei, on Flickr

The butterfly garden is super cool. A bit eerie at first to have them all fluttering around, but also really peaceful. They're so delicate.
IMG_1678 by tommypei, on Flickr

We marched straight to Canada (true north, strong and free!) and grabbed a beer from one of the poor overdressed, but always smiling, Canadian CMs. I always feel so bad for them in those terrible outfits.
IMG_1689 by tommypei, on Flickr

Mom insisted that I get as Canadian as possible and take a pic with this poor gal. Only thing missing was a can of Tim's coffee.
IMG_1696 by tommypei, on Flickr

She particularly liked this moose head. I think it was a hat?
IMG_1697 by tommypei, on Flickr

Onto the UK to make a phone call, naturally.
IMG_1698 by tommypei, on Flickr

Dear Pooh...a part of our Canadian heritage. For you non-Canadians who would definitely not be familiar with Historica Canada's Heritage Minutes (everyone my age grew up with them often played instead of commercials on Canadian TV stations, and they've recently started producing new ones), here's the original Pooh story: https://www.historicacanada.ca/content/heritage-minutes/winnie

IMG_1706 by tommypei, on Flickr

A quick trip to France to see the Tower
IMG_1711 by tommypei, on Flickr

and for a glass of wine and a snack from la Boulangerie Pâtisserie ("framboise," aka raspberry mousse cake) - deliciously sweet!
IMG_1713 by tommypei, on Flickr

More EPCOT to come...

Last edited:

officialtom

Original Poster
Day 7: EPCOT (cont'd)

Continued around the world through the UK, Morocco and Japan. I desperately want one of these mini bonsais, but they're impossible to get back to Canada.

IMG_1717 by tommypei, on Flickr

And this hilarious Downton shirt

Always impressive drumming
IMG_1719 by tommypei, on Flickr

Drum video:

Pikaaaa x 1000

Jesus did a flyby in a cropduster
IMG_1721 by tommypei, on Flickr

And then our FP+ for Spaceship Earth. I can't remember the last time we did this...if ever?? I know it sounds ridiculous, but we always avoided it because of the line, and never bothered with a paper FP. It's probably a new favourite, although like a lot of other thing at EPCOT, it could use an update.

IMG_1745 by tommypei, on Flickr

We did standby (no wait) for LWTL and Circle of Life. LWTL is a real favourite ever since my brother became obsessed with it during our first trip ('04?) and now he's going to school to be a botanist (or as I call it, Doctor of Plants). We also love CoL -- it would have been a real winner back in its day, and the message still rings true, but it's time for a revamp...desperately.

FP+ for Soarin'. Had to wait a little while but we got the front row! Now, most people know this is both a blessing and a curse nowadays, because it gets you the best view, but also does a great job showing off the dust on the screen and grime on the film. Please, Iger, PLEASE, it's time for the new digital version!!!

Stood standby for Maelstro (15 mins). Does anybody else notice the heavy mildewy smell? It's like they're tons of mould growing somewhere just out of sight. Still love the ride but that video MUST go. Commodore 64s aren't exactly cutting-edge.

David Puddy doing his thing

Ran into a friendly duck. One day, in a next life, I'll be a Disney duck. I think they have a truly perfect existence.
IMG_1750 by tommypei, on Flickr

Grabbed a couple South Seas Storms in Japan. Delicious!!

A quick little sit-down
IMG_1767 by tommypei, on Flickr

Mom rockin out
IMG_1768 by tommypei, on Flickr

And then it was time for our ADR at Restaurant Marrakesh. I think one of the best things about this restaurant is that it's hidden at the back of the pavilion, tucked away on its own, away from the crowds, and subtly marked with this lone sign:
IMG_1715 by tommypei, on Flickr

We had the chicken bastilla to start - unreal!!! Shish kababs - delicious, and balkavas for dessert. It was all delicious. The only slight downside is that the tables for two are kind of squished up between the aisle and the centre divider that opens on the entertainment, so it feels very "exposed." But the food was delicious, our server Younes was very gravious, and the entertainment (guitar, drum, and dancer) was really nice. Did I mention the food was delicious??

Ignore the man creeping in...
IMG_1773 by tommypei, on Flickr

IMG_1775 by tommypei, on Flickr

Next, Illuminations!!

Last edited:

officialtom

Original Poster
Day 7: EPCOT (end!)

Another forgotten shot of the message from the heavens...
IMG_1868 by tommypei, on Flickr

After supper at Marrakesh, we strolled around a bit and waited for our FP+ for Illuminations. We asked a friendly cast member exactly how it worked and where to go. We ended up directly across from the American Pavilion, in a roped off section that was nearly empty (just a few FP+ holders), between the Port of Entry gift shop and the port dock. Some people say wasting a FP+ on fireworks is a waste, but it allowed us to get some great pictures and enjoy the show in peace, away from the crowds.

Now, if you've read anything I've posted before, you know that Illuminations might just be my favourite part of Disney. The atmosphere at night, all quiet on the lake except for the pre-show music, and the fires burning high in the sky, people milling around waiting for the show, did I mention the music? I just plain adore the soundtrack. And then the show itself just blows you out of the water.
IMG_1799 by tommypei, on Flickr

Spectacular fireworks
IMG_1834 by tommypei, on Flickr

I'm looking forward to seeing the show in 2015 with the improved lasers
IMG_1862 by tommypei, on Flickr

Obligatory insta video

After the show, which left us feeling so nostalgic and me pretty emotional, we followed the crowd out and headed back to POR. Came across this foolish fella hanging from the light in our room.
IMG_1865 by tommypei, on Flickr

Day 8: Final visit to MK :cry:

Got started with a late breakfast at POR, and spent a bit of time lazing around my the small pool next to our mansion in Magnolia Bend. So classy and quiet.

I had my first Mickey waffle of the trip. Crunchy, hot, and delicious!

Hopped on a bus to MK and did some real good shopping.

I was tempted to buy this camera, but wasn't sure who I'd give it to...

Main Street marching band

Decent shot of the castle
IMG_1888 by tommypei, on Flickr

And then it was time for our last glimpse of the FoF parade, a new favourite. It's timeless and I hope they keep it going for a very long time (with updates, as appropriate, of course).

Beautiful Belle & Beast
IMG_1896 by tommypei, on Flickr

Handsome fella
IMG_1912 by tommypei, on Flickr

Another really great Pan
IMG_1925 by tommypei, on Flickr

And an even better Tink!
IMG_1929 by tommypei, on Flickr

Next up, finishing up MK and starting to say our goodbyes...

Last edited:

officialtom

Original Poster
Day 8: MK (cont'd)

Took a tour on the Liberty Belle
IMG_1988 by tommypei, on Flickr

And had a FP+ for Pirates. Everything seemed to be in working order, but this one could use a bit of an update too. We really go love it though.

Took a final stroll over to New Fantasyland and admired the gorgeous new bathrooms!

Another shot of the 7DMT, sadly still not open at that point....

We got a giant hot cinnamon roll at Gaston's. Couldn't even finish half of it between the two of us. But holy hell it was good.

Goodbye to NF, and off to Main Street for our ADR at Tony's Town Square. This was our first time there, and it was quite good overall, but I doubt we'll go back. I think it's better for families who are looking for more "everyday" foods like spaghetti, not for the more adventurous folks who want to try new things. The service was okay but not great.

We got the pezzi parmesan bread to start. Not too bad, but holy carbs!!
IMG_2033 by tommypei, on Flickr

Mom had the spaghetti and meatballs, I got the chicken parm with spaghetti. Kham served us and was very sweet.

After supper, we needed a walk so we headed to the Hall of Presidents (one of mom's favourites, but not one of mine), and visited with Obama and friends. I think the resemblance is fading as he gets older.

IMG_2039 by tommypei, on Flickr

Then we had a FP+ for BTR, which I absolutely loved, but mom not so much. Neither of us is a big roller coaster fan, but it's relatively tame and lots of fun - for me, anyway. Then we did the Tiki Room, another one of mom's favourites, and then said goodbye to MK.

A pretty nice parting shot of the castle
IMG_2035 by tommypei, on Flickr

We hopped on a bus back to POR only to find that...

The tip we'd left for Mousekeeping was gone, but the beds weren't made and there were no new towels. It's like he/she ran in, grabbed the tip, and got a call or something and left in a hurry. We called the front desk and asked them to send somebody, which they promised to do. After 45 minutes, sometime around 10:30, we called back and told them to not bother, and mom grabbed a couple towels from the main pool. Nobody ended up coming and we didn't hear anything more about it. Kind of expected an apology at check-out or something.

Day 9: farewell, WDW! We'll be back soon!

We slept in and had arranged a late check-out, so didn't hurry to get packed up. Once we did, we left our bags with bell services, had a quick breakfast at POR, and hopped the boat Downtown.

Once docket, we headed to Earl for a sandwich. I got the Christmas turkey one, which was pretty good, but I'm not an Earl freak. It's okay, but honestly I don't think it's worth a QS credit. We shopped around a bit and then hopped the boat back to POR, with Trivia Dan as our captain. He is HILARIOUS (although I'm sure he just recycles the same 15 questions/jokes).

We picked up a couple non-perishable snacks to use up the rest of our credits (we always have leftovers), grabbed our luggage from bell services, and sat on a bench waiting for the MDE to take us back toward real life. Not at all looking forward to going home to the frozen iceland, but all good things must come to an end... at least for now!!!

Thankfully, we got a real MDE back to the airport (not an ugly yellow Mears bus), and reentered the real world. Our flights were painless, and we landed back in Halifax to find that everything was buried in snow. As mentioned back on Day -1, we escaped a massive blizzard about an hour before it started. It had stormed for 3 full days straight, dumping snow so deep that even our double-decker snowplows got stuck for days at a time. Schools were closed for an entire week. But, we missed it all!!! Talk about Disney magic :)

Here's a shot of the parking lot where my car was sitting, frozen, when we woke up the next morning in the airport hotel. A lot of the snow has actually melted in Halifax by that time, but the snowbanks grew and grew during the 4 hour drive home to PEI. Driving down the highway with snowbanks much higher than my SUV certainly reinforced the fact that we were a far cry from the palms of Florida.

And so our March/April 2014 trip came to an end. What a wonderful time. As always, within weeks, we were craving another trip back "home," but we held of planning until just a couple of weeks ago.

I'm happy to report that we are booked for POR again from Jan 22-29, 2015!!! At 40 days out, it's time to get intense with our planning.

Bye for now! And don't forget to follow me on Twitter and Instagram - links below ;)

Last edited:

janelove956

Alrighty, well, let me start off by saying that this isn't officially a trip report yet because we don't leave for another six days, but I have a few spare minutes so figured I'd lay the groundwork here.

This report is for me (Tom, 25) and my mom (Peggy, 40+ ...). Here we are last February in the French pavilion:
image_zpsfa62d439.jpg

It's my fourth trip to WDW and her fifth. We're absolutely WDW obsessed. We love everything about it -- thinking about booking, actually booking, make our ADRs, planning what to pack, booking our Fastpasses (we LOVE the new Fastpass+ system so far -- we'll wait and see how well it works at the parks), etc. We've stayed at POR, CB, and CS, and POR is definitely our favourite. This trip, we'll be at POR again, and we've requested Magnolia Bend for the full seven nights. We really like Alligator Bayou, but we want to give "the mansions" a try. Fingers crossed!

We have been planning the trip since Christmas time, and were actually supposed to be there at the same time as my uncle, aunt, and two younger cousins. We were really looking forward to experiencing Disney with some first-timers, and especially with the kids, but unfortunately my youngest cousin broke her leg badly this week while sledding, so they've had to cancel for the time being.

Back to mom and me. Disney is our thing. We generally get along pretty well anyway, but Disney is a bit of a no-brainer for us. We both love how it's such an easy vacation -- no worries, just relaxed for a week but also filled with our favourite activities, great food, drinks, and lots of fireworks. We also both like to shop so DTD is a big favourite, after Epcot of course. I say pretty often that as long as I can afford it, I'll head to WDW at least once a year for the rest of my life. Friends (and even some family, including my two younger brothers) think we're insane for the way we love Disney so much. When we told people we were considering going again this year, we got a lot of responses like "you're going AGAIN?!?!?" and "just you and your mom -- won't you kill each other?!?" Well, nope, I guarantee we'll have fun and we'll want to go back again this time next year!

So, you may be able to tell from my spelling of "favourite" that we're Canadian. We're from Canada's smallest province, Prince Edward Island, on the Atlantic coast among the Maritime provinces (across the Northumberland Strait from New Brunswick and Nova Scotia). Have you heard of PEI mussels? Well, they come from the bays around our island. Have you heard of Anne of Green Gables? Well, her story was based on the island and she was created by islander Lucy Maud Montgomery. The island is also famous for its beautiful white sand beaches, friendly and generous culture, and pristine world-class golf courses.

That said, we've had a particularly harsh winter. So far, we've had nearly three times the usual amount of snow, and it's been bitter cold since Christmas. It's a bit of a frozen wasteland at the moment, which is in stark contrast to how beautiful it is here in the summer. Proof:

Summer: gorgeous beaches all around the island (this is less than a 5 minute walk from my place)
image_zps01669c4d.jpg

image_zps0b8cf58d.jpg

image_zpsbec72683.jpg

Next Wednesday, March 26, we'll drive the 3 1/2 hours from my parents' place in Stratford, PEI across the Confederation Bridge to "the mainland" (aka New Brunswick), and straight on through to Halifax, Nova Scotia. We'll stay overnight at an airport hotel and hop on an early morning direct WestJet flight to Orlando on Thursday. Then, we'll take the DME to POR, and we absolutely can't wait!!! I bought a new Canon T3 DSLR for the trip, so I guarantee some decent photos of the sights, the food, and maybe even a few good ones of us having fun. This is my first trip report, so be gentle!

If anyone's interested in some live action, I'll definitely be pretty active on Twitter and Instagram during our trip:
@officialtom
Instagram_Icon_Small.png
@officialtom

It's great that you have your mom to share your Disney obsession with:) I am also Disney obsessed but sadly I'm the only member of my family that is lol. I've also said I would like to go to Disney every year! Haha Where you live looks beautiful btw, but I don't think I could handle those cold temperatures.

Bama14

image_zpsfa62d439.jpg

image_zps01669c4d.jpg

image_zps0b8cf58d.jpg

image_zpsbec72683.jpg

@officialtom
Instagram_Icon_Small.png
@officialtom

The first thing I thought of when I saw you were from Prince Edward Island was Anne of Green Gables! That was my favorite book as a little girl. My best friend and I would actually pretend we lived there when we were little. I love the pictures! It is very beautiful!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom