The Sword in the Stone

Shere_Khan

Original Poster
I know that they no longer do the show with Merlin where he lets a child pull the sword from the stone, but I was wondering if anyone knows how Merlin was able to make the sword come out?
When I was younger, my brother was picked to pull the sword out, and we have long since wondered how it was done.

Also hello! I am new here but am a big fan of this site. I absolutely love all the information I can get here and props to the owner for doing such an awesome job. I did not see any forum that was proper to introduce myself in, but just wanted to let you all know that I enjoy the site.

Shere_Khan

Original Poster
Ahh..so Merlin must have used some way to call the shop and tell them to release it?
I really wish they would not have gotten rid of Merlin's show, it was so magical for the children.

raven

I believe it used electromagnetics to hold the sword steady until the circuit could be cut at the right moment.

kconlon

My son was one of the lucky ones that pulled the sword from the stone. It was an awesome experience and made great video! Any how he said it didn't take much effort to pull it out, it almost came out by itself. Then again he was only 6 when it happened :shrug:
After he pulled the sword out he was given a very nice medallion and a parchment declaring him King of the Kingdom!!

This was one of the first of many great Disney experiences.

Kevin

Shere_Khan

Original Poster
My son was one of the lucky ones that pulled the sword from the stone. It was an awesome experience and made great video! Any how he said it didn't take much effort to pull it out, it almost came out by itself. Then again he was only 6 when it happened :shrug:
After he pulled the sword out he was given a very nice medallion and a parchment declaring him King of the Kingdom!!

This was one of the first of many great Disney experiences.

Kevin

See, they never should have taken it away. I think it was a really great experience and very interactive.

lightboy

Ummm...it is motor driven.

When people pull up the sword, they actually aren't pulling it up at all...the machinery is doing all of the work. You don't even have to touch it, and at the flip of a switch, it will move up without anyone pulling up on it. Pulling up on it has no effect when it is moving into the up position.

bingie

It is still being performed (saw it last week) since it is being done now as a "magical moment".

Watch the cast member performing the MM closely, his has a wireless device in his pocket (looks like a garage door opener) and when he presses the button the sword moves up and down.

Lil'Mermaid75

We did this!

Our son (5) received a magical moment for this in January.

He was patiently waiting his turn for our photo op, watching a group of kids in front of us try with all their might to pull out the sword. He told me he was strong and that he could pull it out! I tried to tell him he probably wouldn't be able to, but he wouldn't listen

We got up there and he pulled and all of a sudden the darn sword came out! I think I stood there with my jaw on the ground! :ROFLOL:He was so excited. He looked at me and told me "See, I told you I was strong!"

Then a CM came over and gave him a Magical Moment signed by all the Princes and made him an honorary Prince for the Day. She had him say something to lower the sword, and that's when I noticed the "remote" in her pocket.

Needless to say, my son STILL talks about this!

The Mighty Tim

My dad was called from the audience but was unsuccessful in retrieving the sword. Merlin then selected another kid, and he was successful.

Both my dad and the kid got a medallion and a parchment. Not sure where it is now though.

Doodlyday

I know that they no longer do the show with Merlin where he lets a child pull the sword from the stone, but I was wondering if anyone knows how Merlin was able to make the sword come out?
When I was younger, my brother was picked to pull the sword out, and we have long since wondered how it was done.

Also hello! I am new here but am a big fan of this site. I absolutely love all the information I can get here and props to the owner for doing such an awesome job. I did not see any forum that was proper to introduce myself in, but just wanted to let you all know that I enjoy the site.
Last I heard was that there is someone watching from a window, waiting to release it. Not sure if this is true still.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom