The "Surprise-We're-Going-To-Disney!" Pre-Trip Report

So I've never posted a regular trip report, let alone a pre-trip report, but I felt this particular trip merited one. On Saturday evening, the hubby and I surprised our kids (DS 13 and DD 11) with a trip to Disney World! It was truly the surprise of a lifetime. But let me start at the beginning.

Our family's last trip to Disney was in March 2011. When we returned to NY, we told the kids that we would not be able to return until March 2014 when we will be going to Florida for a family function. They were horribly disappointed that it would be such a long wait, but they accepted it. Last August 2011 I decided that there was no way that I personally could wait 3 years, and I also wanted to see Disney during the holidays, so I convinced my hubby that we should return in December 2012, I booked the room then, and we booked the airline tickets in March 2012 so the trip was definite. We would leave on 12/12/12, spend one day at Universal because DD and I are big Harry Potter fans and are dying to see the new area of that park, and then we would spend the next 3 days at WDW. We decided to keep it a secret and surprise the kids at the last minute!

It wasn't so tough to keep the secret until we started to get close. By last week I was bursting at the seams to tell the kids. So here's how we hit them with the surprise:

Saturday night was the first night of Hanukah. Our family's usual Hanukah tradition is to give each child 8 small gifts, one for each night of the holiday. We would show them all the wrapped gifts on the first night, and they would get to open one each night. Well, on Saturday night, we gathered around the menorah to light the candles, and there was only one wrapped box sitting there. I had created a document announcing the trip which I had placed in the bottom of the box, covered it with heavy towels to give the box weight, and wrapped up beautifully. After we lit the candles, the hubby and I said calmly to the kids that, as they knew, it had been a tough year with Hurricane Sandy and other expenses, and as a result, we were going to focus on the religious aspects of the holiday this year so there would only be one present for them to share. How we kept straight faces is beyond me! The kids somewhat disappointedly began to unwrap the box. When they saw the towels, they confusedly removed them from the box until they were left with an empty box with a paper on the bottom.

I had folded and taped the paper so they would only see parts of it at a time. When they opened the first fold, they saw: "Go pack yor suitcases." Their eyebrows went up.

When they opened the second fold, they saw: "We leave in 4 days for . . ." The anticipation was rising.

And when they opened the final fold, they saw: "DISNEY WORLD AND UNIVERSAL STUDIOS!!!!"

Pandemonium ensued! The kids started screaming and yelling, jumping for joy, hugging us, hugging each other, dancing around, and nearly crying. The hubby and I were doing the same. It was one of the greatest moments in my life as a parent. DS even said "This is the best moment of my entire life!" LOL. We spent the rest of the evening filling the kids in on all the details we'd planned, finally able to share everything with them.

I want to post a few pics now, but I've never been able to figure out how to successfuly do this, so hopefully this will work. Here's a photo of the certificate I created announcing the news:

2012_09-20Fall2012093A.jpg

My hubby recorded the whole thing on video, but here are two photos of their faces when they read the certificate. It was a combination of disbelief, excitement, and sheer joy:

IMG_0841.jpg

IMG_0840.jpg

And now all that's left is to pack and leave in 2 days to experience the holidays in Disney!!!
Hooray!

Pooh'sBuddy

Congrats! I could never do that. I talk about DisneyWorld constantly, so everybody knows when we're going, where we're staying, where we're eating and what we're doing.

LindsayLoves

Amazing Jill! Glad you and your hubby were able to make it all the way to the surprise without dropping any hints. Can't wait to see more about the trip - the photos are clearly working just fine.

JillC LI

Original Poster
Great story.Thank you for sharing such a happy time with us.
While I think that your daughter is adorable, there's something quite dashing about your son. I just can't put my finger on it...

I knew when I posted the photo that if you saw this post, you would comment on it! LOL

LOL. Yeah, @JillC LI are you guys not Yankee fans?! :D

'Fraid not. We're actually Mets fans which makes us anti-Yankee fans which in turn makes us Boston fans. At least that's how it started, but now DS loves the Red Sox even more than the Mets!

Congrats! I could never do that. I talk about DisneyWorld constantly, so everybody knows when we're going, where we're staying, where we're eating and what we're doing.

It was brutally hard. We couldn't tell almost anyone for fear they would slip. I couldn't tell my coworkers in case I had to bring in a sick child to work one day. I couldn't tell our friends. I couldn't trust my dad whose nickname in our family is "LooseLips" because he can't keep a secret to save his life. The only person I could trust was my mom. And of course I could share ongoing planning details with my hubby (who is a huge Disney fan, but not as over-the-top obsessed as I am). But it was HAAAAAARD!

You should totally adopt me.

LOL, I've actually received several of those requests in the past few days!

Yippee, we leave tomorrow!!!!!

JillC LI

Original Poster
Many apologies if I missed all the details. Where are you staying?

We're staying at CBR. Originally I had booked the trip at Pop Century, but then free dining came out during our stay (yay!), and the difference between staying at Pop with the upgrade from quick to regular dining versus staying at CBR with free regular dining was all of $27, so we upgraded of course! The only time we spend at the resort is to pass out from exhaustion at the end of the night, and we wake up at 6am to start the next day, so it really doesn't matter much, but we do like the ambience at CBR.

Thanks everyone for reading my first PTR!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom