The Super-Duper(Kind Of) Top Secret Surprise Birthday Trip Report

We have returned from our super-duper top secret surprise birthday trip to WDW. Some of you may remember that I wrote a short pre-trip report about this upcoming trip. See here http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=793491. The even shorter version is that I planned a surprise trip to WDW for my husband’s birthday. His birthday is November 28th and I began planning the trip in August. An email to my inbox promoting free dining pretty much made up my mind to set my plan in motion. I proved to be a very bad secret keeper which I pretty much expected lol. But hey, I kept it for about a month which is longer than I thought I could. It didn’t help that everyday Dan would ask me “Where are we going, where are we going???” He kept needling me and finally he asked “Are we going to Disney?” and all I could do was smile. I would lose in a second at poker. So the cat was out of the bag and he knew we were going. Not the grand reveal I wanted, but I really only have myself to blame lol!

So on with the trip! On the morning of Nov 28th we rose dark and early at 2:00 am. We had gotten everything ready the night before but we had some animals to take care of in the morning. The worst part of going on these trips is leaving all our animals behind and hoping they will be all right. We had dropped off our 2 dogs the night before at Dan’s parents house. We also have cats and horses. My friend who boards some horses at our house would be staying the week to take care of them and our cats.

With the pets taken care of and the truck loaded, we were on the road at a bit after 3 am. We had a 6 am flight out of Philadelphia and it takes about an hour to get there. We stopped at Wawa for a quick bite and some coffee! Yum! We arrived at the off-site parking lot at about 4:15 am. We used Winner for parking and I highly recommend them! They take you to the airport in your own car so you don’t have to transfer your bags to a shuttle and wait for a bunch of other people. When you return, they will pick you up in your car and you can either have them drive you back to their parking lot to drop them off or pay a small fee to immediately drive home from the airport and they will find their own way back to their lot.

We flew Southwest for the first time this trip. We usually take Spirit Airlines out of Atlantic City, but their fees have become exorbitant and I can’t justify the convenience of AC over Philly with the large price increases. We paid the extra $10 per ticket for the Early Bird Check in. We were early in the A group for boarding, I think A28 and 29. I really liked this service as I didn’t have to be online 24 hours in advance to get a good boarding position and will def do this again.
Our flight was uneventful (thankfully) and we landed in Orlando a little ahead of schedule. By this time we were a little hungry and didn’t know how long it would be before we would be able to eat so we stopped in a McFood before heading down to the Magical Express buses. Luckily for us, as soon as we got in line they started letting people on the bus for Pop Century, AKL, and CBR. We didn’t even stop in the line and I had no time to get the requisite photo of the ME line. I did get a few photos of the buses though.

DisneyTripNov2011011.jpg

DisneyTripNov2011013.jpg

DisneyTripNov2011015.jpg

On our way to the resort we had a little boy (maybe about 3 or 4 yo) who was so excited to be going to WDW. He was screaming his excitement right in our ears the whole trip. Everytime a new character came on the video, he went CRAZY. He was standing on the floor with his mouth right near our heads. Mom, at least make him sit down! Needless to say it was a long ride :lol:. I totally understand his excitement, but I just don’t think we could handle having kids! Although my mom tells me it is different when you have your own….I just don’t know:p. I think it is just her effort to get another grandchild (my sister has one). We were staying a Pop Century this trip and we were the second stop after CBR.

We arrived at PC and checked in. I think we arrived around 10 am and our room was ready. We had done online check-in at home prior to our trip. We were room 9308 which was in the 80’s section. It overlooked the computer pool. It was pretty chilly our entire trip, so it was never very busy in the pool. We had absolutely no problem with noise in our room. Occasionally we heard people walk by the room, but no different than when staying at CBR, POR or CSR. I have to add that this was our first time staying at a value resort, so I was a little concerned about whether we would like it. Our room was good although a little small, which I expected. It was nice and clean and we had no problems with it. The beds were a little squishier and much smaller than I am used to, but I was comfortable sleeping, but if you are used to a firm bed, you may have a little bit of a problem.

This was the view from our room.
DisneyTripNov2011018.jpg

DisneyTripNov2011019.jpg

DisneyTripNov2011021.jpg

A couple others I took before heading to the parks.

DisneyTripNov2011022.jpg

DisneyTripNov2011023.jpg

Kristia

Original Poster
Our motto this trip was to try and take it easy and relax! We usually go nonstop and totally wear ourselves out. This was a short trip of 5 days/4 nights and we knew we couldn’t do it all so don’t try!!! We had a short trip back in 2006 and nearly killed ourselves trying to do everything.

We headed to the bus stop to go to AK. It was about a 5 min walk to the bus stop. There were a few people in line. We waited about 15 min for a bus which seemed like a long time when you want your vacation to start, but I guess in retrospect it wasn’t too bad. Finally the bus comes and we are headed to our first park! We arrived at AK around 11 am. We decided to head right to EE to try for fastpasses. On the way, I got a bit side tracked taking photos of some of the birds and animals around the Oasis area.

DisneyTripNov2011024.jpg

DisneyTripNov2011027.jpg

DisneyTripNov2011029.jpg

DisneyTripNov2011031.jpg

DisneyTripNov2011033.jpg

DisneyTripNov2011036.jpg

PolynesianPrincess

YAY! Another TR!! :)

Hey, you did better with the secret than I would have! I'm so bad with secrets. So much so that I like to tell my sister about all her Christmas presents before she opens them. lol

We have stayed at the value resorts before (all 3 of the All Stars) and it was just fine for 3 of us. We were hardly ever in the room so it suited us for what we needed it for, which was showering and sleeping.

Kristia

Original Poster
YAY! Another TR!! :)

Hey, you did better with the secret than I would have! I'm so bad with secrets. So much so that I like to tell my sister about all her Christmas presents before she opens them. lol

We have stayed at the value resorts before (all 3 of the All Stars) and it was just fine for 3 of us. We were hardly ever in the room so it suited us for what we needed it for, which was showering and sleeping.

I know! I am surprised I lasted that long although I wish it would have been a total surprise. Maybe next time....yeah right, who am I kidding! :ROFLOL:
The only thing that I didn't like about Pop was that the bus lines were always huge. It seemed like no matter what time we got in line, the line for the park we wanted to go to was sooooo long with at least 3 scooters also in line. I once saw as many as 6 scooters in the line for MK one morning. It was crazy busy!

PolynesianPrincess

I know! I am surprised I lasted that long although I wish it would have been a total surprise. Maybe next time....yeah right, who am I kidding! :ROFLOL:
The only thing that I didn't like about Pop was that the bus lines were always huge. It seemed like no matter what time we got in line, the line for the park we wanted to go to was sooooo long with at least 3 scooters also in line. I once saw as many as 6 scooters in the line for MK one morning. It was crazy busy!

OK, my personal opinion on the scooter thing..... If you wanna use a scooter, go for it. I don't care. But I think scooters should have to wait in line just like everyone else. The rest of the party should wait in the regular line and then when they get to the front, if there's room, the person on the scooter and their party can get on. If not, wait for the next one.... I know that'll never happen but, you know, it's nice to have some wishful thinking :rolleyes: lol

Kristia

Original Poster
OK, my personal opinion on the scooter thing..... If you wanna use a scooter, go for it. I don't care. But I think scooters should have to wait in line just like everyone else. The rest of the party should wait in the regular line and then when they get to the front, if there's room, the person on the scooter and their party can get on. If not, wait for the next one.... I know that'll never happen but, you know, it's nice to have some wishful thinking :rolleyes: lol

I agree. I have to say that Disney was really great sending buses pretty quickly to clear out the lines but it was a little frustrating. I have never seen that many scooters at once in line before. But I don't want to start a scooter debate! :lookaroun:ROFLOL:

Kristia

Original Poster
Ok, enough of that…on to EE!

DisneyTripNov2011055.jpg

DisneyTripNov2011057.jpg

DisneyTripNov2011059.jpg

DisneyTripNov2011061.jpg

And again, I got sidetracked. On our last trip, we didn’t have a chance to see Flights of Wonder which is one of my favorite shows. I wanted to check for showtimes and when we arrived they were just letting everyone in for the next show. We decided to stop and see the show.

DisneyTripNov2011062.jpg

DisneyTripNov2011068.jpg

DisneyTripNov2011070.jpg

DisneyTripNov2011074.jpg

Love this shot!

DisneyTripNov2011076.jpg

Kristia

Original Poster
Some more Flights of Wonder pics

DisneyTripNov2011078.jpg

DisneyTripNov2011081.jpg

DisneyTripNov2011085.jpg

We stopped at a little snack bar (forget the exact one) to get a Coke. It had some cool wall hangings and artwork around the building.

DisneyTripNov2011086.jpg

DisneyTripNov2011087.jpg

DisneyTripNov2011090.jpg

Now, really…on to EE! The standby line was only 15 min! Yay! I love the standby line theming which we don’t often get to see so I was glad to finally have the chance again. I don’t think we were even in line for 10 min. The ride was great, except for poor Yeti. I can only do that ride once as it gives me a bit of a headache. We could have gotten in line again, but that would have been the end of me for the day!

DisneyTripNov2011091.jpg

DisneyTripNov2011093.jpg

DisneyTripNov2011095.jpg

DisneyTripNov2011096.jpg

PartOfYourWorld

Great start! And love the pics!

But I have to agree about POP, me and my mom have stayed there many times and the lines always get crazy long over there!

Kristia

Original Poster
Your pictures are so pretty, cant wait to read more about your trip:)

Thank you! I will hopefully get some more up this weekend!

Great start and great pics!! Can't wait for more!

Thank you!!

Great start! And love the pics!

But I have to agree about POP, me and my mom have stayed there many times and the lines always get crazy long over there!

Thank you! I guess I was unprepared for those lines. Maybe we need to get up earlier, but we are so not early risers!

Kristia

Original Poster
We were starting to get a little hungry but didn’t want a full meal, so we decided to split a meal at Yak and Yeti counter service.

Heading to Yak and Yeti:

DisneyTripNov2011115.jpg

DisneyTripNov2011117.jpg

We had QS Free Dining so we mostly ate counter service for this trip. I only had a couple of ADRs for this trip. One was a birthday dinner for Dan at Boma tonight, so we didn’t want to ruin our dinner. We had the Sweet and Sour Chicken with rice and chocolate cake for dessert. It was a generous portion and would have been fine splitting it even if we had been super hungry! It was really good and I was pleasantly surprised. I wish they would give you a plate though because it was tough to mix in the box. Chicken on top, then veggies, then rice.

DisneyTripNov2011119.jpg

DisneyTripNov2011120.jpg

Some art in the outdoor seating area:

DisneyTripNov2011121.jpg

DisneyTripNov2011122.jpg

After lunch, we decided to head over to Rafiki’s Planet Watch as this was something else we hadn’t seen last trip. Before heading over, we grabbed fastpasses for KS. The wait was only 15 min, but I wanted to be safe in case the crowds picked up after we got back from Rafiki’s.

DisneyTripNov2011123.jpg

DisneyTripNov2011125.jpg

Inside the train station:

DisneyTripNov2011128.jpg

DisneyTripNov2011129.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom