The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

Rasvar

Long absence for me here and at the parks. I haven't been to WDW since last May. Went to DL in August. I'd rather go back to DL right now. I noticed a comment about Disney pricing the middle class out earlier in the thread. I don't think it is so much that as it is gearing it down or up. It's the same reasons that mid level retail and restaurants are having trouble. What you are seeing is focusing on cheaper packages or very expensive packages. In order to have the cheaper packages with free dining and such, you end up cutting back elsewhere. But rather than maintain the prior level of service, you create a higher premium level for those who will pay for it. Where visiting a Disney park used to be, mostly, a level experience, it is now going to two tiers. You will have the Walmart level and the Four Seasons level.

I personally don't like the Walmart level and can't afford the Four Seasons level, so I'm left on the side of the road with either hold my nose and accept Walmart or don't go. Since May, I have been in the latter. It's not really the money because, if I didn't want to pay for the parks, I have a number of friends who could pass me in. I just choose not to do it. The sad thing is that there has been nothing that has made me want to go. I'll go to Universal right now. They seem to be trying. Maybe if something comes of Avatar and wows me, I'll change my mind. But I'm tired of most of the construction being DVC's or some other get people to stay thing. I know that some who just wants to visit a weekend here and there, I'm low on the list of customers they care about. It is night and day between WDW and DL for the experience to me right now. I'm just on the wrong coast.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Like NFL players owning and torturing dogs that fight to the death, others that murder acquaintances or those accused of rape? Sexual orientation isn't a distraction, it's the homophobic or naive reactions that are distractions. I find it ridiculous that teams are willing to support athletes convicted of crimes, but flinch when an known athlete is attracted to individuals of the same biological gender. I don't know about you but I don't spend my time worrying about who football players are dating.

He seems like a great kid. He is courageous.Completed college, hardworking athlete, comes from a caring family and is unwilling to play a role which is ingenue to his true self. I would be proud if my son had those traits.

Agree, Why is it fine to be a thug with a long criminal record in the NFL, But everyone gets their panties in a twist because of someones dating preference.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Very nice a now departed friend of mine had a 'King Arthur' machine from the 1940's which was still operational.
Yeah, I'm not as into the really old EMs.. I just like some for balance. That game I have mainly because it was so cheap when I bought it. I have games from 5 different decades and three tech levels.. ElectroMagnetic, Solid State, and DMD era

70s - Gay 90s, Flip Flop
80s - Flash Gordon
90s - Twlight Zone, High Speed 2: The Getaway, Indianapolis 500
2000s - The Lord of the Rings
2010s - AC/DC Premium

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Why do we bother having separate men and women locker rooms?

You DO have a point there and the potential for sexual harassment on a 'same-sex' basis is now in play, I've always thought a 'don't ask, don't tell' policy was probably the best one for harmony between the LGBT community and the RoW, One of my best friends is flamboyantly gay I'll do a lot of things with him, Taking a shower is not one of them. Guess I'm not sufficiently liberated yet.

John

Agree, Why is it fine to be a thug with a long criminal record in the NFL, But everyone gets their panties in a twist because of someones dating preference.

I think some of you are missing the point. It has nothing to do with who this young man is as a person I believe he is a fine young man. It has nothing to do with anybody's personal beiliefs. It has nothing do with anybody having to accept it or not....or put their "big boy pants on". Also, in most of the cases that people here have mentioned about problem athletes most of those problems occurred after they were drafted already. Their was an investment in that player and like it or not they were protecting an investment. Look at some of the players that did have some history...TO and Randy Moss for instance. There came a time when they might have had a few years left in them but nobody wanted them. Why? because it was to much of a distraction.

I again applaud this young man. It takes courage what for he has done. Now like it or not you have to understand also what this means for a team that drafts him. Lets say he isn't good enough to play in the NFL, the team cuts him, Now you have every media outlet saying you cut him because he was gay. What if he doesn't play....sits the bench...again the team is questioned....or if he is traded.....on and on. I am not saying its right. But teams are not there to forward the homosexual cause. They are there to win football games. What ever happens to the player there after the team will be questioned. If you were a head coach and you could avoid that situation would you?

I will tell you that I was a head coach for 20 yrs. Not in the NFL but from high school age on down to pee wees. I also am friends with a very well known NFL players agent. I know a few players, what I am getting at is I know the inner workings of a football team. AGAIN, this isn't about what is right or wrong. Its about the reality of the situation. He will get drafted. Someone will take him. That team has to be commended and will also have to deal with these issues I mentioned. But don't start calling teams are being homophobic if they choose not to have to deal with these issues.

Last edited:

Funmeister

You DO have a point there and the potential for sexual harassment on a 'same-sex' basis is now in play, I've always thought a 'don't ask, don't tell' policy was probably the best one for harmony between the LGBT community and the RoW, One of my best friends is flamboyantly gay I'll do a lot of things with him, Taking a shower is not one of them. Guess I'm not sufficiently liberated yet.

According to law I am not sure if you can technically "sexually harass" the same sex. I think the way the laws are written is that sexual harassment can only occur between opposite sex. At the same time they can file a normal harassment suit. I am not a lawyer but believe any sexual harassment between same sex must be filed as a regular harassment suit.

flynnibus

Premium Member

doctornick

The breakout hit of the year will be The Lego Movie - more clever than any WDAS film ever, doesn't hit you over the head with the love trumps all angle Disney Corp. has pedaled since its inception. Has a nice clear modern fable of "anybody that can imagine will be more special than a drone".

To be honest, your description could easily apply to Wreck It Ralph. Which personally I think was underrated and quite good.

(Haven't seen The Lego Movie yet, but look forward to doing so.)

SirLink

To be honest, your description could easily apply to Wreck It Ralph. Which personally I think was underrated and quite good.

(Haven't seen The Lego Movie yet, but look forward to doing so.)

No it couldn't Wreck it Ralph still relied on the old-shtick from any number of past Disney films, the underpinning message isn't about being yourself. It is a clear fresh message that without creativity all you are is a drone. The ending is a-maz-ing though.

Warning it gets meta about 3/4 through.

bhg469

No it couldn't Wreck it Ralph still relied on the old-shtick from any number of past Disney films, the underpinning message isn't about being yourself. It is a clear fresh message that without creativity all you are is a drone. The ending is a-maz-ing though.

Warning it gets meta about 3/4 through.
Which movie has the amazing ending?

Skibum1970

Interesting. A forum on WDW by the infamous Spirit has morphed into a discussion on sexual preference. My preference is that we talk about stuff that matters, as in, who is the strongest Power Ranger? Or, who did frame Roger Rabbit? I'm thinking that the Judge was actually OSWALD in disguise. Oswald was an assassin, of course.

Seriously though, has there been any movement of any type on the pending DHS projects or are those truly on hold while MM+ gets fixed?

WDWFan_Boston

The breakout hit of the year will be The Lego Movie - more clever than any WDAS film ever, doesn't hit you over the head with the love trumps all angle Disney Corp. has pedaled since its inception. Has a nice clear modern fable of "anybody that can imagine will be more special than a drone".

Wow! Ever. Nice hyperbole!

Sounds like you're snorting brick dust.

tirian

Interesting. A forum on WDW by the infamous Spirit has morphed into a discussion on sexual preference. My preference is that we talk about stuff that matters, as in, who is the strongest Power Ranger? Or, who did frame Roger Rabbit? I'm thinking that the Judge was actually OSWALD in disguise. Oswald was an assassin, of course.

Seriously though, has there been any movement of any type on the pending DHS projects or are those truly on hold while MM+ gets fixed?

Yes, let's get this conversation on track before the thread is closed.

Around 2006, a Monsters Inc. door coaster was all but greenlighted. In fact, Soundstage 1 was closed in preparation for the coaster that was never built. This is partly why the bridge on the far end of Pixar Studios takes design cues from the movie.

About a year ago, Cars Land was a done deal. Then the trigger was almost pulled on a Star Wars area that would have begun where American Idol currently stands. The BAH was supposed to come down too—that's not an Internet fanboi myth.

In Epcot, Imagination was supposed to close in January even though the exact details of version 4.0 hadn't yet been determined. One version extended the track into the 3-D theater. A permanent WS location for characters (similar to a second Character Spot) was considered, too.

At DAK, James Cameron was not impressed during his first few tours with Joe Rohde. Cameron fixated on how poorly Disney was running its operation—the empty expanses of nothing didn't escape his criticism. Then Disney worked out a deal re: Avatar and Rohde was set loose to create a night time show, too. Those lighting FX have been in testing since last May, BTW. Nearly all the animal exhibits around the Tree of Life are slated to be removed. The entrance will be reworked, too.

At the MK, the cameras and microphones for 100% talking Mickey were installed around May or July. An expanse of land near FrL is still earmarked for a new attraction.

Legitimate plans get made and cancelled all the time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom