The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
Marvel should stay at UNI, at least in Florida. Like Potter, I think UC has a better grasp in how to Utilize the brand, especially with the attractions, anyway. UNI and Marvel are a perfect match. The only way it can work is a third gate.

The rnrc... Overlaying an existing attraction with a popular IP instead of creating its own attraction just feels tacky. What does this remind me of? o_O

There currently isn't a RNRC in California, I think the ride would be built from the start with the intent of being Marvel driven. I'm not sure if te track layout would be identical or if the ride would be similar to RNRC, Spirit can perhaps speak to that better.

71jason

I don't know. I considered doing an indepth study of the man in 2011 when his whole empire came into view for me. I don't know how successful his law career truly was if he gave it all up to be WDW's top BRAND advocate. Lawyers who are successful make real money. No matter how successful a Lifestyler is, they have limits to what they can earn. No doubt the Lou BRAND has value. What that is, I dunno.

Without naming names, because I respect him, but the last guy to become the go-to online source for WDW info and build up a cult following has done very, very well for himself. True 1%er, maybe even 0.5%er. Better than any lawyer who isn't an ambulance-chaser with ads on daytime TV or on a partner track at a white-shoe firm in a major city. I don't think Lou was either. He was probably comfortably well-off but I bet he's making more money now. Not to mention the ego boost of being a semi-celebrity.

Mike S

Well, this has nothing to do with TDO ... this is an Anaheim situation and we all know why (want to do an over/under on how long before someone says WDW can get those Marvel rights?)
Speaking of the Marvel rights in WDW I've had a suspicion for a while now that has only grown since my latest visit to the world. Remember the whole deal with the Avenge-O-Rail and how it couldn't enter Epcot? Well, a huge honking Gaurdians of the Galaxy poster currently sits on the backside of the Great Movie Ride clearly inside a Disney theme park east of the Mississippi. This just has me thinking that should they want to do it a GotG attraction would be good to go since it doesn't seem to be covered in Uni's contract with the whole "families" thing. If you could clear this up it would be appreciated.

Edit: Also that whole appearance of Star Lord and Gamora at the Villains party.

Last edited:

PhotoDave219

Dave, Please forward this Memo to all current executives at the Disney Company. This poignant reminder my prove useful in preventing the strengthening or launch of a fierce competitor in our industries of dominance.....

...what's that you say? It's already happening again? Comcast.....hmmmmm....

*1023*

As much as Universal is doing fantastic things up the road, the fawning foaming fanboiz of Comcast have essentially done and killed my attention span when it comes to Uni v Disney. (I just dont care anymore because they're so damn insufferable.) Universal is doing some great work, I still think they have long strides to go when it comes to guest service.

I find inaction, inactivity and squeezing every dollar to be a greater threat to the Mouse than "The House of the Philadelphia Flyers" Comcast. Disney does more harm to themselves by sitting back and doing nothing. In the post 2001 years, Disney had a golden opportunity to drive a stake into Universal's Orlando market share but instead chose to do nothing because while Universal was owned by Blackstone, absolutely nothing happened. (See all the Busch parks these days for current examples of Blackstone's crap)

It would not take much on Disney's part to get the buzz back in Orlando, but the longer they wait, the more money they'll have to spend. Star Wars is coming, just not as fast as we want. A Studio's makeover is coming, just not as fast as we want.

The biggest problem with the folks at the head of Parks and Resorts? They believe that the guests will always come. Same with the divine right of kings of the middle ages, the idea that "it will always be this way." Inaction will always prove foolish whereas investment will always be the key. If you want the guests to always come back, you have to always give them something new.

(And how are they supposed to hit margins for next FY and improve on the revenues of all these upcharge parties!??!)

PhotoDave219

Speaking of the Marvel rights in WDW I've had a suspicion for a while now that has only grown since my latest visit to the world. Remember the whole deal with the Avenge-O-Rail and how it couldn't enter Epcot? Well, a huge honking Gaurdians of the Galaxy poster currently sits on the backside of the Great Movie Ride clearly inside a Disney theme park east of the Mississippi. This just has me thinking that should they want to do it a GotG attraction would be good to go since it doesn't seem to be covered in Uni's contract with the whole "families" thing (at least to me). If you could clear this up it would be appreciated.

Edit: Also that whole appearance of Star Lord and Gamora at the Villains party.

Please please please please please for the love of almighty god, don't start this Universal/Marvel rights debate again.

AEfx

You had me until you took a shot at Bette and Julia. Touchstone was a great idea ... one from Walt's son-in-law that Michael and Frank ran with.

Disney as a Studio has become nothing but a tentpole factory. And you have three examples above of why only making one kind of film (at least budget wise) isn't a smart long term strategy.

Oh, absolutely. That's really all Hollywood these days, unfortunately. You are either a picture with a budget so high that anything under $300M domestic is a failure, or something that ends up premiering online.

Don't mistake me, though - I'm a Touchstone fan. If only we could get those types of films again...I could write an essay about how they were the last to make classic Hollywood star vehicles - before that term became a pejorative. No joking, several of my favorite movies are Touchstone, LOL (I feel cheesy saying that, like "Some of my best friends are finger-sniffing chimps, I swear, I'm not elitist!).

The reference was, for those who do think that Star Wars/Marvel have "objectionable" material or "un-Disney" material, or that for whatever made-up lifestyler reason (or do the lifestylers like them now? me gets so confused...), I simply was presenting the one piece of incontrovertible evidence to rebut that: Julia Robert's left ta-ta.

The only time Julia Roberts has shown her bazzoms (or at least, a bazoom) on film was in a Disney picture, kids. Since that's another part of Disney's history, if Marvel and Star Wars aren't "Disney" enough, I don't know what the heck is.

PeterAlt

A fascinating tidbit from my trip that I think you all might be interested in...

While in Hollywood, I was part of the studio audience of three episodes being recorded for Craig Ferguson's new game show. I had a very long chat (during commercials and between episode recordings) with this young woman sitting next to me. She said she lives in the LA area and identified herself as a "Disney nut". Take a guess what we were talking about?

Well, she's never been to Florida. Her dream is to go to WDW some day. Her opinion about Cars Land echoes our opinions here concerning FLE. She said Cars Land doesn't have enough rides and has too many gift shops. She said Tomorrowland doesn't have enough rides. I told her that Star Wars attractions may be moving in there. She was excited to hear this.

I told her about this site and she said she's already a member. So, if you're reading this, say "hi"!

Mike S

Please please please please please for the love of almighty god, don't start this Universal/Marvel rights debate again.
I'm not trying to start that debate. I know what everyone has said about Marvel but it seems to me that GotG doesn't seem to be covered in the "families" clause. All I'm looking for is an answer to my suspicion that shows GotG is in the same clearly off limits boat as Spider Man, Iron Man, Hulk etc.

PhotoDave219

Oh, absolutely. That's really all Hollywood these days, unfortunately. You are either a picture with a budget so high that anything under $300M domestic is a failure, or something that ends up premiering online.

Don't mistake me, though - I'm a Touchstone fan. If only we could get those types of films again...I could write an essay about how they were the last to make classic Hollywood star vehicles - before that term became a pejorative. No joking, several of my favorite movies are Touchstone, LOL (I feel cheesy saying that, like "Some of my best friends are finger-sniffing chimps, I swear, I'm not elitist!).

The reference was, for those who do think that Star Wars/Marvel have "objectionable" material or "un-Disney" material, or that for whatever made-up lifestyler reason (or do the lifestylers like them now? me gets so confused...), I simply was presenting the one piece of incontrovertible evidence to rebut that: Julia Robert's left ta-ta.

The only time Julia Roberts has shown her bazzoms (or at least, a bazoom) on film was in a Disney picture, kids. Since that's another part of Disney's history, if Marvel and Star Wars aren't "Disney" enough, I don't know what the heck is.

Julia Roberts' Side got me through middle school.

PhotoDave219

I'm not trying to start that debate. I know what everyone has said about Marvel but it seems to me that GotG doesn't seem to be covered in the "families" clause. All I'm looking for is an answer to my suspicion that shows GotG is in the same off limits boat as Spider Man, Iron Man, Hulk etc.

How many angels can dance on the head of a pin? How many grans of sand are on a beach? How many fanboiz would do blow with an imagineer? All of these are questions we'll likely never know the answer to.

Disneyhead'71

I don't think a M&G with this Cap
article-0-0B18D2A6000005DC-766_634x396.jpg

on Main Street would be the end of the world. Cap on his '40s motorcycle would look more in theme than a 6' rodent (I'll wait while most of you guys pick yourselves up and get back in your chair.)

I am not a Marvel fan at all, but I don't see it as any darker than the classic Disney content. A big Queen ordering her minion to cut out a teenage girls heart and then eventually poisoning the girl herself isn't really Hello Kitty territory. And while Superheros aren't Princesses, they are right next to each other in the toy department.

And yes, your Spiritness, Hans and Frans are very "dated". That is why they are in a commercial now. It's that nostalgia thing Disney loves so much. Hey, maybe now is the perfect time to reboot Cranium Command. Or maybe PIXAR can rework it into a feature. Oh, wait.....

AEfx

Tron Legacy IS a good film.
You really missed something special not seeing it when it was originally released...in glorious IMAX 3D.
FANtastic experience in the theater and the crisp IMAX images and atmospheric dimentional effects were great.

:)

Funny enough - kid of the video game generation (born late 70's, so I did luck out and get a soul before they ran out in the early 80's), rented movies at least two weeknights a week, saw at least one film in the theater a week (if not two) every weekend, yet...I still have yet to see the original. As a kid, I remember looking at that sad dirty white-rimmed Live Action Disney VHS case and thinking it was cheesy and outdated then, LOL. If I really thought of it at all, though I do recall seeing the case in the "Family" section long after I stopped getting films there.

But I just happened to have a copy of the Blu-ray fall in my lap of Legacy, so I figured what the heck. I'll definitely be checking out the original now (though I don't expect to be blown away LOL). I wasn't entirely blown away with Legacy, but it was very good - a lot of potential, and it was really well plotted/thought out - much more so than your standard tent pole where basically they make a list of some situations/scenes and then randomly assemble them and call it a plot.

AEfx

A similar 'dish' has been available in Carsland since it opened. But there it's chili instead of M&C+bacon. At least in DCA there was some semblence of a theme integration. Not needed at WDW.. shocker.

Whoa whoa whoa...chili in a bread bowl is pretty normal, but the mac and cheese in one is...very different haha. I thought the same thing when I saw Mac and Cheese Pizza somewhere awhile back.

It's the carbs with carb sauce on top of carbs that makes the gut ache, LOL. At least chili has some meat in it, LOL.

Mike S

How many angels can dance on the head of a pin? How many grans of sand are on a beach? How many fanboiz would do blow with an imagineer? All of these are questions we'll likely never know the answer to.
Yeah. I guess the only way I would get that answer is if a ride was actually announced (and we all know the odds of that, GotG or not). Other than that just speculation over if they could be used or not. Thought I would be able to get some insight on this.

PhotoDave219

Yeah. I guess the only way I would get that answer is if a ride was actually announced (and we all know the odds of that, GotG or not). Other than that just speculation over if they could be used or not. Thought I would be able to get some insight on this.

Oh I'd love that to be definitely answered as well... but something tells me that even legal doesn't know.

Animaniac93-98

I don't think a M&G with this Cap
article-0-0B18D2A6000005DC-766_634x396.jpg

on Main Street would be the end of the world. Cap on his '40s motorcycle would look more in theme than a 6' rodent (I'll wait while most of you guys pick yourselves up and get back in your chair.)

I am not a Marvel fan at all, but I don't see it as any darker than the classic Disney content. A big Queen ordering her minion to cut out a teenage girls heart and then eventually poisoning the girl herself isn't really Hello Kitty territory. And while Superheros aren't Princesses, they are right next to each other in the toy department.

And yes, your Spiritness, Hans and Frans are very "dated". That is why they are in a commercial now. It's that nostalgia thing Disney loves so much. Hey, maybe now is the perfect time to reboot Cranium Command. Or maybe PIXAR can rework it into a feature. Oh, wait.....

Cap on Hello, Dolly!-esq Main Street would still look out of place, but in a USO-style show on Sunset Blvd at DHS? Fits better than BatB and is true to the character's MCU storyline.

I have no problem with Marvel in Disneyland. If they want to make Innoventions into Marvel Fairytale Hall, fine. Build an Iron Man or Guardians ride? Great. I don't think the guests would mind either.

Marvel as a property is already marketed in different ways to different demogrpahics. Making a more "family friendly" version, or removing the more violent aspects of the current movies, would not be strange or unusual. They already did this with Indiana Jones not having all the gross-out elements of Temple of Doom or the shock horror of Raiders' climax, for example.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom