The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

MattM

Orlando is on the right track with its recently announced airport improvements and what it is doing with the Orange County Convention Center and adjoining hotels. They need to connect all the attractions, resort hotels, airport, convention center, and major shopping areas to a fixed rail transportation network that people would travel a great distance just to see for itself. This system must stay separate from SunRail or any other future commuter rail or system workers and residents may use. Also, the creation of public entertainment spaces and art placed between attractions in spaces where people walk, allowing discovery, making things more interesting, as San Francisco is doing.

There's so much untapped potential for Orlando that it's not really funny. So much could be done that could spark a rapid growth economy in the Orlando area!

Variations of this have been discussed. The airport/convention/I-Drive crowd is all for it, 2 of the 3 theme park companies want no part of it. There have also been talks of connecting the I-Drve area to where the new Orlando City Stadium/New Citrus Bowl/O-rena (for you old schoolers) are located. This would be down the road, but it is at least being discussed.

There are such public space/entertainment/dining/etc proposals in the works for I-Drive that are just down right impressive, in addition to what has been announced or under construction. I-Drive is on the cusp of a renaissance, of sorts. Now, if the projects go through or not, that's the (multi) million dollar question(s).

The local governments are thinking big, and long term. One of the gubernatorial candidates is as well, and realizes the untapped potential of the area (and it's likely not the candidate you think it is, either).

***Hey Everyone! :) ***

Figments Friend

I think you all may be interested in this...

When I was at DL earlier this week, while waiting in line for Indiana Jones, I overheard a woman talking with her group of friends about WDW. I introduced myself and told her that I couldn't help but overhear her conversation and told her I was from Florida. She told me she was from Orlando and works for TDO.

Later, while still in line, she continued talking to her group of friends. I listened in. She was bragging about how cost efficient TDO is compare to TDA. She talked about bloated and "unnecessary" spending at TDA, using Indiana Jones as one example. Using rides that I've been using as examples for why DLR is better than WDW in ride quality on a ride per ride basis (while talking to other people), she used as examples to brag about how TDO is brilliantly controlling operation costs and the wastefulness of TDA's operation costs.

I felt like interrupting and telling her that's nothing to brag about, as show quality is obviously much better at DLR, compared to its WDW equivalent. Even as we walked through the que area, she would point out show elements of the que and say things like "Totally unnecessary - high maintenance."

I guess it's a different mindset of corporate culture between the two Disney operations groups?

Wow.
I felt motivated to comment after reading about this experience.

While i am not at all surprised at her comments, it is still disheartening and disturbing to hear.

I have to chuckle at the irony of this scene taking place inside the Indiana Jones Adventure as well.
One of, if not THE, highest rated Attraction anywhere when it comes to quality, detail, and experience in the themed industry.
It would not have earned that title and respect without a lot of money and effort put into it*s development and build out.
The WDC of today would never build such an Attraction.

The comments from the woman encountered are a excellent example of what the thought processes are between the *business minded* and the *creative minded* camps.
There has always been that friction there between the two divisions, and when the system balanced itself it worked well.
I think it was Marty Sklar, if i am remembering correctly, who used to talk about how Walt actually preferred that slight contrast between those two areas of his company because he felt it produced the best possible solutions to a project.

Now however the scales are tipped....and there is too much intrusion from the business end of things.
The mentality has changed, and in some cases not for the better.
The creatives keep having their fingers slapped or see the purse closed to more ambitious projects being developed.
Marketing potential, synergy with current product tie-ins, and strict budget limits for development and building are *in*.
Unique Guest experiences, original concepts, and more open budgeting mentality is definitely *out*.

A sign of the times, indeed....but all is not lost.
Hidden away are several *good guys* working to try to put the balance back in order.

WDW1974

Original Poster
So, the summer of 2014 is over ...I know it must be because there were crazies paying $100 on top of a hard-ticket fee on top of a regular admission fee to hang out with foamhead and face villains.

What amazing new attractions delighted WDW guests? (Do Olaf cutouts on a stick at Frozen sing-alongs count?)

And why did UNI build up such excitement for what appears to be a home run in Diagon Alley only to sorta let the excitement die down as soon as it opened?

danlb_2000

Premium Member

WDW1974

Original Poster
I know some folks, very few to be fair, have contacted Georgie K regarding the cost-cutting/EPCOT entertainment cuts ... but, perhaps, it might be better to contact his partner, Andrew 'Andy' Hardy who when last I checked was an entertainment finance bigwig for TDO. I am sure he isn't expecting to hear from actual ... GULP ... guests!

Nemo14

I know some folks, very few to be fair, have contacted Georgie K regarding the cost-cutting/EPCOT entertainment cuts ... but, perhaps, it might be better to contact his partner, Andrew 'Andy' Hardy who when last I checked was an entertainment finance bigwig for TDO. I am sure he isn't expecting to hear from actual ... GULP ... guests!
I'm still waiting for my phone call...:cool:

WDW1974

Original Poster
Some Spirited thoughts on a few other threads going around here:

OK, so a cheap-looking window selling the incredibly overrated Dole Whip has reopened. I guess I lose my Fanboi Card if I say that I am not impressed in the least and that I really don't care. But a fanboi friend who had overfilling his cup down to a true art form will likely be broken-hearted when he returns from his non Faux Top One Percent Summer Holiday.

No, there is no 'new' Boo To YOU Parade at MNSSHP&CG. Swapping out a few foamheads for different foamheaads does not a new parade make. You want to see new seaasonal parades and entertainment in a Disney park, then I'd save up and get over your fear of leaving the country.

Yes, I do think anyone who visits WDW (or anywhere) 365 days in a row is a bit 'off' at best and flat out 'nuts' at worst.

Valet my car at TSFKaDD? Why not take the convenient and easy and MAGICal WDW Transport System?

Has Jim Hill broke more of my news recently?

It's nice to see that terrorists do a better job with social media than TWDC.

WDW1974

Original Poster
There was quite a lot of discussion between those who believed that it could not possibly work, or could not possibly have any benefit to guests, and others who believed that it could but were somewhat skeptical that current management would use it that way. I remember being one that defended the technology, but pointing out that one of the major problems with the program was that we (the public) knew anything about it, let alone being somewhat expected to participate in it.

Yes. And all I was trying to do is stimulate a return to the discussion now and see where folks opinions stand.

The good thing about me, beyond being right most of the time, is that I don't go back on my opinions. I've never felt this was a smart investment, a smart spend, and I warned that it would further Walmart WDW.

I see nothing at all to show I am remotely incorrect.

bhg469

Some Spirited thoughts on a few other threads going around here:

OK, so a cheap-looking window selling the incredibly overrated Dole Whip has reopened. I guess I lose my Fanboi Card if I say that I am not impressed in the least and that I really don't care. But a fanboi friend who had overfilling his cup down to a true art form will likely be broken-hearted when he returns from his non Faux Top One Percent Summer Holiday.

No, there is no 'new' Boo To YOU Parade at MNSSHP&CG. Swapping out a few foamheads for different foamheaads does not a new parade make. You want to see new seaasonal parades and entertainment in a Disney park, then I'd save up and get over your fear of leaving the country.

Yes, I do think anyone who visits WDW (or anywhere) 365 days in a row is a bit 'off' at best and flat out 'nuts' at worst.

Valet my car at TSFKaDD? Why not take the convenient and easy and MAGICal WDW Transport System?

Has Jim Hill broke more of my news recently?

It's nice to see that terrorists do a better job with social media than TWDC.
I think 365 is impressive since many of them can't get that many day passes out of the asylum. I wonder if that Philip Kippel guy is going for that record.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
OK, so a cheap-looking window selling the incredibly overrated Dole Whip has reopened. I guess I lose my Fanboi Card if I say that I am not impressed in the least and that I really don't care.

I'm with you on that. Never been a fan of it, and especially not for $5. Unfortunate to see so little effort went into the new Pineapple Lanai. Each addition should bring something visual to the resort - that really doesn't seem to bring anything, other than sales - and of course a fix for the Dole Whip fans.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I look at those bumps in numbers as a sign on the continued better economic news and the fact that many people had put off Disney vacations for so long.

There could also be alight bump due to New Fantasyland and the SWMT.

I think it's a complete stretch to say it has anything at all to do with Fastpass+.

I would be shocked ... truly ... and not much shocks me ... if Disney received any significant bump in bookings due to FP+.

Generally, I view @ParentsOf4 as one of the brightest bulbs we have here, but I don't see a correlation at all. More like a convenient convergence of circumstances.

bhg469

I would be shocked ... truly ... and not much shocks me ... if Disney received any significant bump in bookings due to FP+.

Generally, I view @ParentsOf4 as one of the brightest bulbs we have here, but I don't see a correlation at all. More like a convenient convergence of circumstances.
shocked is an understatement. If people plan a vacation around planning a vacation they truly deserve the lackluster show they are getting from WDW. They won't think its garbage though. I know a family that was there this week and even though they hate what FP+ is doing, and that the parks are stale, they still planned and paid for a trip there.

WDW1974

Original Poster
He did have him on his show for an interview a couple weeks ago, and he did leave in a brief mention of Harry Potter from Tony.

I wonder if he's even been to UNI. You know WDW execs and Imagineers regularly are over there, just like UNI leaders and creatives regularly visit WDW. ... But I really could see him being so into hos role as a BRAND advocate and to the point he never visits any places in O-Town that are not Mouse controlled.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Keep up the China talk. It's nice to see WDI show they can still make something great.

I am hoping to drop some meaty material out soon on the HUGE construction quality issues they are having (remember what UNI dealt with in Singapore with largely Chinese contractors? ... well, they are nothing compared to what is happening in Shanghai. ... This one was an easy one to see coming.

It might have to do with being a Central Florida boy, but there's always been a fascination with that room from the moment you hear about Walt's "secret apartment." Yeah, I know, but still...

Too bad that space didn't stay empty into the day of videos from iPhones ... just think of all those naughty clips of the Princes playing (yes, that really did go on up there!) that would be floating down from 'the cloud' (BTW, yes, the world was a better place when we didn't have things that sound like they came out of scary utopian sci-fi films!)

WDW1974

Original Poster
Uh oh...mymagic problems at MK

As I've largely been disconnected this long holiday weekend, what exactly happened? ... I know folks were being denied entry to MK, but that is it.

I do wonder if my telling people they could have gotten into any WDW park with anything that at one time was a valid admission media might have caused Disney's response of simply creating a holding pen of paying guests. I'd hate if that was just my ginormous ego speaking, though ...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom