The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

Quinnmac000

The Hogwarts Express is an attendance raiser because you have to check in at both parks. So for every guest that rides Hogwarts Express gets a visit to IoA and an attendance number for going to IoA even if they go right back to USF. So for the price of one ride, two parks get attendance boosts.

Also add in the 90%+ occupancy rate at cabana bay then all the guests at the other hotels
Easy to see how they would get record attendance.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Just comparing Disney animated movies about sisters I think Lilo and Stitch had the more interesting and better developed relationship between the two.

Agree - Lilo and Stitch had better character development as well, It also worked on multiple levels like the old Rocky and Bullwinkle show as it was a sendup of Govt Bureaucrats everywhere. Plus Stitch's buddy the frog was cute.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Just remember that what's happening at WDW today largely is driven by all this business-speak gobbledygook. Those calling the shots are, for the most part, business people, not dreamers or innovators.

It's thoroughly depressing to watch WDW 'optimize' itself right out of its own legacy. :(

It is indeed - what a difference from the 80's to today, In the Eisner days there was something new and amazing everytime you went there even if it was just a new atmospheric show, Merchandise was UNIQUE and spanned the scope from cheap plastic baubles to 1 of a kind works of art.

Food was everything from hot dogs to gourmet and prices were on par with the 'real world' and people 'dressed up' I'm tired of being mistaken for a manager when I visit because I wear chino's and a collared shirt.

I'm just sad at how far WDW has fallen.

CDavid

So what? That's a silly number to report. Average daily attendance at Islands of Adventure last year was in the 22k a day range or less than the number of people that board the Haunted Mansion every day. Theoretical maximum daily riders on Hogwarts Express is somewhere in the 32k - 33k range (given a 13 hour operating day) and the same is around 41k for Haunted Mansion. So should we be saying that on many days more people board the Haunted Mansion than enter Islands of Adventure?

That sort of misses the point.

The point isn't that MK is busier than UNI parks; that's a given.

It's that a Universal attraction (which some people derided as a cash grab) is allegedly outdrawing one of the slacking Disney parks.

The number itself isn't really the point (assuming its accurate), but rather if that trend should continue long term (through next year, specifically) it means that at least one of the Universal parks will have greater annual attendance than at least one of Walt Disney World's parks (insert usual dislaimers about unofficial attendance numbers, etc.); Animal Kingdom.

Lee

Adventurer
The Hogwarts Express is an attendance raiser because you have to check in at both parks. So for every guest that rides Hogwarts Express gets a visit to IoA and an attendance number for going to IoA even if they go right back to USF. So for the price of one ride, two parks get attendance boosts.
I don't think so.
I believe it is similar to how Disney calculates attendance, where first park you visit for the day, on a park-hopping ticket, gets the click.

Disneyhead'71

Both resorts use both methods of counting guests, but "First Click" are an internal measure for how many actual people are in the parks. "Gate Clicks" shows who entered which park and how often.

With today's ticket scanners they can break it out and spreadsheet the data to show what ever metric you are looking for. But I can guarentee that if either resort were to report actual attendance they wouldn't use the "First Click" meathod.

EpcoTim

Im sure a resident expert will be along with incontestable actual facts, sorry opinion, sometime soon.

You rang?

The earth is flat, Disney is the greatest, Universal sucks and tricks Filipinos into buying hot dogs, Budweiser is a type of bladder infection, the monorails smell like flowers, Peter Pan is full of dust cause he has a drug problem, Kermit liked Toads Wild Ride so much he rode it twice, refills on beer are free if you wear a grey hat, it's not hot, it's raining, your 100 bucks was well spent, that's a quality T-shirt, Bill Nye can and will out drink you, that sombrero you bought in Mexico was made in China, your ugly and you smell funny, Those aren't collapsing ceiling tiles on Small World--that's a magic ceiling, Walt would be proud.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Spirited Wednesday Musings:

Sorry about the lack of postings, the real world takes precedence and it is far more enjoyable to watch powerbrokers squirm than it is to make fanbois cry.

I see there's an insane eight-page thread about Star Wars that wasn't here when I last checked in. I don't know what that was based on. Bob Iger saying the same thing he has been doing for the past few years? Sorry, but nothing is imminent on that front. And saying an announcement on adding to the parks more IP will come next year leaves him with a timeframe that will stretch, literally, until Episode VII opens before anyone will start calling him out.

But here's something for y'all to chew on. The current DLR plans for Star Wars call for a substantial reworking of an existing area for the new stuff. And it isn't where you think it is ... and it hasn't been said by one person online yet. And, yes, it will have some people thrilled and others fuming beyond belief.

Are folks really going to stick to that 'major reworking of the Studios entrance' load of BS as related to Star Wars? 'Cause it isn't accurate and all.

And Disney's quarterly earnings are just about where I would have pegged them. And P&R got a lift by Easter in the quarter and a May price increase in ticket media in Anaheim as well as great springs in HKDL (yes!) and TDR! But we are supposed to divine some greater truth in those numbers, right? Ah ... nope.

Watching Bob Iger talk to CNBC, even with questions that have already been run thru Zenia (yes, and all you fanbois think Disney and Comcast hate each other blather, blather, drivel, drivel, pop), is a lesson in pain ... like getting a really bad papercut.

Someone made me waste five minutes reading the O-Town Weekly piece. It isn't that most of that story isn't accurate, just that it was written by a UNI fan pushing a largely positive UNI agenda. That comparison he used of HE and DAK was true, but means absolutely nothing. Yet, you can bet it has flown around the Twitverse like the gospel from the mountain.

Yeah, so what did happen with @KevinYee and Micechat? Seems like something went down there.

So, saw Guardians of the Galaxy and just loved it. Dumb fun, but made well enough that you get over the dumb parts. Like the guy in front of me said, ''I paid to see a talking raccoon and a tree branch that speaks three words.'' It worked. I enjoyed it more than ANY other Marvel offering. The soundtrack (you kids know what that is from downloading Frozen, right?) couldn't have been any better if I made the film and I actually intend to buy it as I like/love every song they used. Chris Pratt showed the start power than anyone who has watched Parks and Rec on NBC (yes, I know you all are too kewl for stodgy old networks and prefer crappy Netflix content!) knew he had. ... Hell, I even loved the scene at the end of the credits (although someone here blew it for me and should have their knees broken). I realized that no one under 35 got it, but I don't care ... much better than some scene that basically teases a future film!

You know what's wrong with today's fanbois (or any group you feel like dumping on right now)? They are like WDC management, they view everything short term and don't understand the long game at all. That often results in petulant and ill-thought out behavior that will get them nothing other than the point in the end (just not the way they'd prefer!)

So, is UNI truly breaking records this summer? Depends on who you talk to and what records you are discussing.

So, any Lifestyler spend $600 a night for a room at the Four Seasons yet? And add another $300-400 worth of food? And another $500-800 at the spa? ... I am dying to read those reviews.

ABC's fall comedies look dreadful ... from a network that couldn't give Happy Endings, The B in Apt 23 and Trophy Wife more time.

I've just been informed that special Shellie May's have arrived at Aulani. Get your orders in now while they last. I still think this is a good reason for @WDWFigment to plan another visit.

Oh, and just a note to my fans here (and, especially those who claim to not be!), but I'm going to be here very sporadically over the next month or so as I have gotten much busier. So, I may drop a post in here or there and not be around to discuss or debate it. Feel free to ask my official hillbilly spokesman @Lee for his thoughts.

twebber55

Spirited Wednesday Musings:

Sorry about the lack of postings, the real world takes precedence and it is far more enjoyable to watch powerbrokers squirm than it is to make fanbois cry.

I see there's an insane eight-page thread about Star Wars that wasn't here when I last checked in. I don't know what that was based on. Bob Iger saying the same thing he has been doing for the past few years? Sorry, but nothing is imminent on that front. And saying an announcement on adding to the parks more IP will come next year leaves him with a timeframe that will stretch, literally, until Episode VII opens before anyone will start calling him out.

But here's something for y'all to chew on. The current DLR plans for Star Wars call for a substantial reworking of an existing area for the new stuff. And it isn't where you think it is ... and it hasn't been said by one person online yet. And, yes, it will have some people thrilled and others fuming beyond belief.

Are folks really going to stick to that 'major reworking of the Studios entrance' load of BS as related to Star Wars? 'Cause it isn't accurate and all.

And Disney's quarterly earnings are just about where I would have pegged them. And P&R got a lift by Easter in the quarter and a May price increase in ticket media in Anaheim as well as great springs in HKDL (yes!) and TDR! But we are supposed to divine some greater truth in those numbers, right? Ah ... nope.

Watching Bob Iger talk to CNBC, even with questions that have already been run thru Zenia (yes, and all you fanbois think Disney and Comcast hate each other blather, blather, drivel, drivel, pop), is a lesson in pain ... like getting a really bad papercut.

Someone made me waste five minutes reading the O-Town Weekly piece. It isn't that most of that story isn't accurate, just that it was written by a UNI fan pushing a largely positive UNI agenda. That comparison he used of HE and DAK was true, but means absolutely nothing. Yet, you can bet it has flown around the Twitverse like the gospel from the mountain.

Yeah, so what did happen with @KevinYee and Micechat? Seems like something went down there.

So, saw Guardians of the Galaxy and just loved it. Dumb fun, but made well enough that you get over the dumb parts. Like the guy in front of me said, ''I paid to see a talking raccoon and a tree branch that speaks three words.'' It worked. I enjoyed it more than ANY other Marvel offering. The soundtrack (you kids know what that is from downloading Frozen, right?) couldn't have been any better if I made the film and I actually intend to buy it as I like/love every song they used. Chris Pratt showed the start power than anyone who has watched Parks and Rec on NBC (yes, I know you all are too kewl for stodgy old networks and prefer crappy Netflix content!) knew he had. ... Hell, I even loved the scene at the end of the credits (although someone here blew it for me and should have their knees broken). I realized that no one under 35 got it, but I don't care ... much better than some scene that basically teases a future film!

You know what's wrong with today's fanbois (or any group you feel like dumping on right now)? They are like WDC management, they view everything short term and don't understand the long game at all. That often results in petulant and ill-thought out behavior that will get them nothing other than the point in the end (just not the way they'd prefer!)

So, is UNI truly breaking records this summer? Depends on who you talk to and what records you are discussing.

So, any Lifestyler spend $600 a night for a room at the Four Seasons yet? And add another $300-400 worth of food? And another $500-800 at the spa? ... I am dying to read those reviews.

ABC's fall comedies look dreadful ... from a network that couldn't give Happy Endings, The B in Apt 23 and Trophy Wife more time.

I've just been informed that special Shellie May's have arrived at Aulani. Get your orders in now while they last. I still think this is a good reason for @WDWFigment to plan another visit.

Oh, and just a note to my fans here (and, especially those who claim to not be!), but I'm going to be here very sporadically over the next month or so as I have gotten much busier. So, I may drop a post in here or there and not be around to discuss or debate it. Feel free to ask my official hillbilly spokesman @Lee for his thoughts.
yeah I wondered why no one mentioned Seth as the author because he s an obvious Universal homer

StageFrenzy

I'm done with ABC comedies, let me know when they get to three seasons. I might tune in after that, if my dvr schedule permits it.
The age line for the tag at the end of GotG is probably 28-29
I'd put seth at 65-70% homer for uni, probably would be fair in criticisms but tone of articles will be Ra! Ra! on the resort. He Might write something positive on Disney when Avatar finally opens.

The Empress Lilly

how many times do we have to say that about 90% of the people going to universal already had the hopper
Even so, UNI saw fit to open ticket upgrade windows at both stations and are raking in the cash at them.

And the real Hogwarts money maker is in UNI drastically adjusting their pricing structure ahead of Hogwarts Express. The park-to-park option for a two day ticket, the most popular option, was increased 95% (!) from $21 to $40. That on top of the already massive base ticket price increase.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom