The Spirited Back Nine ...

Mike S

Look at those eyes... He can tell you've never been that far before.

EPCOT is my favorite WDW park. I spent two full days there during my vacation. The CMs are always great, the countries are supurb for what they are. I just love that park... Having said that, UOE and Imagination are in desperate need for an upgrade. The Captain EO novelty has worn off. And WS needs real new attractions. Maelfrozen doesn't count as new. It doesn't even need a new country... just some plussing. AK is in desperate need of attention. It's not even funny. During my vacation Dinosaur went down and the park became an absolute mess. There was nothing to take up the slack. Beautiful park. Cool CMs. Not enough rides. I can finish DHS in 3-4 hours. That's not good.
DinoLand sure could use a makeover. Update Dinosaur and bulldoze Chester & Hester for an area based on the extinct mammals. I like the idea the guy from idealbuildout came up with for a ride called "Mammoth Falls."
image.jpg

JustInTime

Should this be moved to
I agree with this.

But between TSM and GMR, which one are they more likely to keep? They're definitely keeping TSM and if the rumors are correct about Toy Story Playland, what location logically makes the most sense for it? Up where the backlot entrance used to be? Create a long, narrow, dark, congested area of Pixar Studios / Playland?

Or does it make more sense to tear down the GMR building, build Toy Story Playland across from the expanded TSM and integrate the two areas together. It would open up the walkways in front of TSM and help get rid of the "studio" themeing that they seem to be doing?
So instead of seeing a big, blue hat you will now see toy story carnival rides as you walk in? I highly doubt this will happen.

TeriofTerror

And if you are a long term repeat visitor those are the thoughts going through your head, even FIRST timers are commenting on how 'Dirty' three parks are
That's for sure. I encountered at least three bathrooms that were beyond disgusting, and no cast members nearby to notify. Somehow I just can't bring myself to complain to a CM in France that the bathroom was a swamp of pee-water in Morocco...

BrerJon

Transformers got your adrenaline pumping for a bit, and then you started realizing that you really had no clue what was happening. By the end, I was like wow, that was fast-paced! Now can someone tell me what I just experienced?

At least it's true to the movies, for which the same applies.

Stitchon

Not in the parks, but the rest of Disney:
  • Steve Jobs was the largest individual owner of Disney stock.
  • Bob Iger is on Apple's board.
  • Apple apparently consulted on the now dead Imagination Park Disney Store concept.
  • Disney Movies Anywhere currently only works with iTunes.
  • The square iPod nano had Disney watch faces and so will the Apple Watch.
  • Disney Store and Walt Disney World are delayed Apple Pay partners.
And slightly related, but more just an interesting factoid, Macs are the default computers used at Google.

Bold mine.

I wouldn't say the Imagination Park store concept is dead. They just opened a new ground-up store in Jacksonville and are still remodeling stores to the concept, they're just being very picky about what stores they choose to continue operating and to remodel.

Tom Morrow

Or the Tower of Terror. That thing is just note-perfect. Satisfying in every way. And unfortunately, it's probably the last really impressive, envelope-pushing ride we will ever see in any American Disney park, and we can thank Robert "Screw The Parks, The Stockholders Love Me!" Iger. :(
and as much as I / most of us love Tower of Terror, even it is unfortunately starting to show its age and lack of any proper refurbishment ever. Shoddy audio, video screens/projections improperly programmed, incorrect lighting, special effects out, etc.

Also, they could do so much more today with the space that is the 5th dimension scene. The scene remains a wow factor because first time riders do not expect the elevator to travel horizontally, but the scene itself has never been effective. Most people do not even know what it is supposed to convey: you are moving up an elevator shaft as if you were on your back facing upward. Also the effects and props are cheesy compared to what could be done today, and you could experience more of the hotel and story rather than just the elements of the Twilight Zone opening sequence. I posted a thread a while ago about how I would love to see this scene gutted and re-imagined as the hotel's Tip Top Club with an elaborate set and effects, but of course it received a knee-jerk reaction of "no the ride is perfect don't ever change or enhance it!"

Last edited:

Phil12

The trouble is, there isn't much gushing about positives. The majority of the posts seem to be negative and/or fault finding. As I've said before, it can make you wonder why you want to go back for a vacation.
I agree. Most of the complaining here is totally unjustified. For example, have you seen that great new lumberjack show over in the World Showcase at Epcot?

doctornick

Most people online seem to have the opinion that Epcot is the Alpha and the Omega of the themepark experience.

Yes. There seems to be this idea that classic EPCOT Center is some idealized Platonic form of a theme park and current Epcot, by falling short of that standard, is now totally worthless. It's being held to a standard that it probably wouldn't keep even under the most ideal circumstances. Some don't seem able to simple judge Epcot on what it is today rather than what it was or what they perceive it should be.

Put it a different way: if Epcot was an individual existing park and not part of WDW park hoppers, I would expect that it would still draw healthy attendance in its current form. OTOH DHS and DAK individually would simply have attendance collapse and close without being tied to the rest of WDW.

Last edited:

doctornick

While Epcot isn't as problematic as AK and DHS, the Attendance for Epcot doesn't tell the whole story. I argue that issues with AK and DHS should have started to be address sooner by Disney even at the 2009 D23 that Disney only had Star Tours: The Adventure continues for those two parks combined and had their focus at Fantasy Land for MK instead.

It is very hard to say with a straight face that Epcot's attendance isn't helped by the Flower and Garden Festival, and the Food and Wine Festival. Those two events make the attendance way better than it would be without and that is something to consider. Those two festivals are not hard ticket items unlike Magic Kingdom.

The two parties that MK has doesn't affect attendance much since guests are likely spending time there before the Halloween Party or the Christmas Party starts unlike the two festivals Epcot has. Disney is having Festivals for Epcot at times of the year that isn't exactly the busiest for the park and that could speak about what Epcot has all around without the festivals.

I am bringing up the 2 events for Epcot because they do bring up the Attendance like Star Wars Weekends does for DHS except Epcot has the festivals much longer. This year, the International Garden and Flower Festival ran for 73 days and the Food and Wine Festival for another 53 days. I think that speaks how much Epcot is depending on the two festivals and Disney wants to increase the Food and Wine Festival.

When I was at WDW in the later part of August to Labor Day this year, Epcot on Weekdays isn't as busy this year compare to years past at the same time of the year.

And?

I've seen this sentiment, but I don't get it exactly. The idea seems to be that people like F&W and G&F and go to Epcot more during those times. Is that a bad thing? Is that a problem? We often see people bemoaning the lack of seasonal offerings at the parks, but those are basically a similar type of offering that gives Epcot a special appeal and fits in great with the ambiance/theme of the park. Why should they be discounted?

I guess the premise is that people don't go to Epcot except for the festivals or something, but that's not true at least in my experience. The park has busy days and light days, but people go. It's also a huge park physically, so it takes a lot of guests to really feel busy the way MK or DHS can.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom