The Spirited Back Nine ...

Cesar R M

Not all companies are the same. If you have an executive that wants the ability to install applications without having to call you, you're not going to tell them you don't trust their judgment or you will be an unemployed IT guy soon.
Giving administrative access to a local machine is still different to give global network access and/or root access to the main servers.
Also, a smart admin would have set a privacy/networked virus scanner to remove the treats before they reach the inner machines.

Cesar R M

Maybe if it was properly clean regulation blaze orange she wouldn't have a bruise today. You're so insensitive Dave.

In that case she will probably need a sack of some kind medical weed to ease the pain.

That's probably why it happened. She just took "tripping" literally or she was to busy looking at how pretty the stars were that night to look down.:joyfull:

She was probably walking with her face buried in her phone trying to change her FP+ schedule

zufLMZS.gif

BrerJon

Giving administrative access to a local machine is still different to give global network access and/or root access to the main servers.
Also, a smart admin would have set a privacy/networked virus scanner to remove the treats before they reach the inner machines.

I bet the Sony hack didn't get root access, but gathered sources from lots of lower level accounts.

I'm no security expert but I imagine it was a pretty simple process - check LinkedIn, news reports, Facebook etc. to find various high level Sony employees, work out their email (most companies use predictable email addresses for people) then spoof various 'forgot password' forms, send employees a link asking them to change their password for security reasons, and from there you can bet that they use the same password on other systems, and bingo, access to their files and email accounts.

Imagine what would be uncovered if Disney were attacked? Not that they would be, the magical two billion dollars of IT investment for MyMagic has no doubt given them impenetrable security, but if that wasn't the case I bet hackers could cause them lots of problems - or at least leak an HD print of Song of the South and a few juicy emails from James Cameron.

WildcatDen

This is why the NSA collecting all electronic communications is a bad idea because now if someone in power does not like you the government has all your communications which can be released selectively to do maximum damage. Not my definition of a 'free' country.

This time it was hackers, Next time it might be someone in government with hurt feelings effect will be the same. Food for thought
Of course, no worries if you have nothing to hide, right?

PhotoDave219

I bet the Sony hack didn't get root access, but gathered sources from lots of lower level accounts.

I'm no security expert but I imagine it was a pretty simple process - check LinkedIn, news reports, Facebook etc. to find various high level Sony employees, work out their email (most companies use predictable email addresses for people) then spoof various 'forgot password' forms, send employees a link asking them to change their password for security reasons, and from there you can bet that they use the same password on other systems, and bingo, access to their files and email accounts.

Imagine what would be uncovered if Disney were attacked? Not that they would be, the magical two billion dollars of IT investment for MyMagic has no doubt given them impenetrable security, but if that wasn't the case I bet hackers could cause them lots of problems - or at least leak an HD print of Song of the South and a few juicy emails from James Cameron.

They got SysAdmin credentials from a previous phishing expedition. I think.

truecoat

Honestly? Yes. Because it's kept insanely quiet.

The more and more I see about hacking and what's being hacked into, it makes me really want to live off the grid.

The craziest part I think about these texts? People getting system admin credentials through a phishing email… if the end-users would realize that they should never ever never ever ever give out sensitive information to some nameless, faceless email.

We can have the best security in the world and we would still be up a creek because Jean in accounting over there fell for the oldest scam in the book.

The thing is, it's too late to live off the grid. I can find out anything about anybody and I don't have any special skills. It's all available with little bits of info and a little research.

Edit: Sounds like several have said similar things.

Last edited:

Cesar R M

The thing is, it's too late to live off the grid. I can find out anything about anybody and I don't have any special skills. It's all available with little bits of info and a little research.

Edit: Sounds like several have said similar things.
you are hardly "off the grid" even if you dont use the internet.
You could be in thousands of databases already just by having a credit card and purchasing in amazon or other major retailer.

AEfx

Why meet demands of a blackmailer if there is no assumption that the demands will stop? North Korea making violent threats is nothing new. Nor have they shown the ability to project force into the United States, which again is a state with which they are at war. Yes, we like to portray North Korea as crazy but they rattle their sabers for specific reasons, typically to get food. Attacking US civilians stateside would be shooting themselves.

If it was your family, and you were working in a company that just got devastated by said folks making threats against you and your family, and they have the most detailed personal information about you, make bodily threats against your family, I don't think you'd be quite as quick to rationalize it like that.

I answered everything you asked, you just didn't like my answers.

No, you avoided it yet again - still grandstanding and arguing minor points (wrong on those as well, but whatever).

I asked a very specific question which you refused to answer, which is pretty much answering in itself. For a guy who keeps mouthing off about it, you sure aren't putting your money there, so to speak.

If YOUR family was the one being threatened by people who had just perpetrated what perhaps may turn out to be the biggest cybercrime ever, they had all your personal information, addresses, SS #'s, names of your children, medical records, untold amounts of data about you - and in your company email, you received multiple threats including direct threats to your family, would you be so quick "not to cave"?

It's easy to say other folks should make other decisions, since it's not your family that was threatened.

What exactly would they be in danger from? Physical harm (like the blowing up theaters threat) or just some hackers going after their personal information and trying to make it public. Did they have to quit their jobs to disavow Sony or just say they disavowed the company? If they just wanted a statement from me I'd probably comply just in case. If they wanted me to quit my job thats a whole different story.

Employees and their families were directly threatened, and in context with the other emails (which included statements that said if you live near a theater, you shouldn't stay home, and specifically invoked 9/11) was a lot more than "we'll share your personal info".

Not you in particular, but if it wasn't so scary I'd find it funny that other folks keep dismissing any threat like it was ludicrous - because no foreign entity has ever had individuals in the US who were here to commit violent acts...

It's sooooo easy for folks sitting safe at home in front of their computers to say "no big deal, man up!" but it would be far, far different if they were employees at Sony and were getting these kinds of threats in their email. Folks talk all big because, Internet, but it's BS - and they know it. Particularly since, although I haven't seen it mentioned lately, when all this was going on independent security experts were sure that someone had to actually have been on-site to perpetrate this.

Again, this Monday-Morning Quarterbacking by some folks is simply machismo and completely and utterly BS - akin to folks who say they would suddenly become Superman and would have taken down the kid at the Dark Knight screening, when in truth they would have been laying on the floor frozen and piddling in their short pants.

They have a copy of Sony's entire corporate electronic record. Low level employees do not have access to finished digital copies of films, executive emails, etc.

lazyboy97o

If it was your family, and you were working in a company that just got devastated by said folks making threats against you and your family, and they have the most detailed personal information about you, make bodily threats against your family, I don't think you'd be quite as quick to rationalize it like that.
You keep saying this, but we have not seen a massive walkout from Sony Pictures. That means people decided to take the risk you're claiming they did not take. The threats agains theaters for showing The Interview were AFTER and separate from the threats against employees. And now, there remain theater owners who are willing to face the risk as well as patrons willing to face the risk of a theater attack. You're whole point is predicated on mixing up different events. Have there been any attacks on Sony employees for continuing to work? How about attacks against the theater owners pushing for distribution? There haven't even been threats made against Paramount.

misterID

No, you avoided it yet again - still grandstanding and arguing minor points (wrong on those as well, but whatever).

I asked a very specific question which you refused to answer, which is pretty much answering in itself. For a guy who keeps mouthing off about it, you sure aren't putting your money there, so to speak.

If YOUR family was the one being threatened by people who had just perpetrated what perhaps may turn out to be the biggest cybercrime ever, they had all your personal information, addresses, SS #'s, names of your children, medical records, untold amounts of data about you - and in your company email, you received multiple threats including direct threats to your family, would you be so quick "not to cave"?

It's easy to say other folks should make other decisions, since it's not your family that was threatened.

I did answer. I said if they have that information there's nothing you can do but be proactive in doing the best you can, including working with the FBI to minimize the damage, which I'm sure they're doing. I am confident that no physical harm would come to me or my family. You don't want to take the FBIs stance on this, that's your choice. Call it grandstanding all you want. But if you believe in something you stand up for it.

And you have been completely patronizing through this whole thing.

RSoxNo1

you are hardly "off the grid" even if you dont use the internet.
You could be in thousands of databases already just by having a credit card and purchasing in amazon or other major retailer.
Jessie Ventura has a show called, "Off the Grid". Someone should tell him how TV works.

bhg469

He's still around? I thought he went away after it came out that he got punched out by Navy seal in a bar…
He ended up winning a huge lawsuit recently from the estate of Chris kyle for defamation. I don't know the details but there was smore misinformation in Kyle's book.

Having said that, he's a nut!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom