The Spirited 8th Wonder (WDW's Future & You!)

NeXuS1000

It's funny but you "might" not be as unlikely a candidate for DVC as you think.

With 5 visits in 30 years you have averaged going every 6 years. But what if you were simply to double that rate to once every 3 years? I know nothing of your personal situation, but perhaps you are now at an age where that would make sense financially and match your interests.

Well you might be able to find a small resale contract of around 30 points for say $80 per point, or only $2400 to buy in, which is a pretty low barrier to admission relative to the typical costs of WDW vacations. With banking and borrowing these points you have 90 total points to use for a once-every-three-year vacation, which is more than enough for an entire September week in a Standard BWV studio. And your maintenance costs for those points will be well under $100 per night as @ParentsOf4 has pointed out, yet you are staying in a Deluxe (albeit declining) resort right in the middle of the action.

My purpose with this example is not to shill for DVC, just to show that the conclusions to be drawn about the effects of DVC aren't so simple and straightforward.

In those 5 times (soon) we have gone, only 2 of them - the most recent - have been onsite, and due to travel expenses going that far, we have generally looked for cheaper accomodations than Disney. Even so, doubling the rate is a large expense, and while we do go on vacation every year, we do like to mix it up, and the thing about DVC and timeshares that I dislike is how bound you are, even if it would save you money.

71jason

They just have meetings where the behavior is coiffed in nice terms in case anything ever goes public. ...

Please tell me this will be a chapter in your book. Even with Orwell-speak, can't believe a major corporation acknowledges something like this.

(Would also be curious to hear your news about Golden Oak--at least a post if it doesn't warrant a thread.)

stlphil

In those 5 times (soon) we have gone, only 2 of them - the most recent - have been onsite, and due to travel expenses going that far, we have generally looked for cheaper accomodations than Disney. Even so, doubling the rate is a large expense, and while we do go on vacation every year, we do like to mix it up, and the thing about DVC and timeshares that I dislike is how bound you are, even if it would save you money.
Sorry, I wasn't really trying to convince you to buy DVC (like I said, I don't know your situation, and besides that I don't get any commissions from DVC :)). I just saw the information you shared as a good jumping-off point to demonstrate that the DVC value proposition coupled with some pixie-dust allure may extend far beyond the obvious demographics.

WDW1974

Original Poster
That is just sad on so many levels. Why does Disney seem to be hell bent on getting rid of the people who still understood 'it'? I wonder, have those people ended up where I think they did? Could explain those rumors about a certain third park being of that same quality.

Because if you 'get' it, then you're apt to want to do things in the old ways, ways that today's business model won't allow. So you marginalize talent (like Tony Baxter) or you move it out (The Kirks, Tim Delaney, countless others). You replace that experience with 'talent' that thinks The Little Mermaid is a great attraction and so on ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
You can ask me. I booked using a PIN code they mistakenly sent in my grandson's name back in February for 8/17-8/24 garden view at GF. The rate is 317.20 per night for Sun-Thurs and 340.60 for Fri-Sat. The total for the 7 nights is 2550.66 tax in which is 364.38/night.
I don't think it's cheap or a deal but I am okay with the cost for the location. This is top amount I would pay for a deluxe room at WDW at this point, although I will admit I did pay rack rates to stay at the POLY 2 years ago over Thanksgiving and it was alot more than this for standard view.
I think there are some of us working class that stay deluxe, utilizing whatever discounts we can take advantage of for the dates we want to be on property for the following reasons:
We have found the deluxe resorts to provide a level of comfort and relaxation and amenities we are looking for on a brief vacation.
We may also travel with family members and the parks and other activities/attractions on property provide those family members with plenty of entertainment so we don't have to be the total vacation planner/coordinator all the time while on property.
We also like the parks and other attractions, though at a much less intense pace.
If you are going to spend high 4 figures on a 10 day family friendly resort experience, WDW deluxe is competitive with places like Atlantis or even staying at the lodge at Yellowstone or on a dude ranch....
And then for me personally, unless it's a weekend, I never take a real break from work at this point. So WDW with cell phone coverage and WiFi practically everywhere allows me to work while I am "vacationing".

I generally don't believe in telling people how to spend their money. Sometimes, it doesn't make sense ... why am I cruising on the Disney Fantasy in an inside cabin for four times the cost of a veranda cabin on the MSC Divina? Yep, a little crazy.

But while I think it's easy to rationalize bad financial choices, it doesn't make them right. While you got a relative 'bargain' for the Flo, since rooms there can often be $600-1,000 a night, the reality is you could have gotten a nicer (subjective, since nothing is going to be on the monorail across from the MK) resort in O-Town for UNDER $100 a night.

I don't compare Atlantis with WDW because I realize there isn't another resort of that caliber in Nassau (one might argue there isn't any reason to even visit that island if you aren't going there). I don't compare National Park Lodges either because they are the only option IF you don't want to drive in and out of the parks daily (something I usually do and gets old, especially in Yosemite!)

But WDW exists in one of the largest and most competitive hotel markets in the country. You don't even have to go off-property to save money with options like Swan, Dolphin, DD resorts or the Bonnet Creek resorts (technically off-property, but not really). I'd never give Disney another $165 a night to stay at the Grand over the Waldorf, which has $199 rooms thru Labor Day, for instance.

But, yeah, we all make choices. Often emotions get the best of us. Sometimes we pay for a perceived convenience that isn't really there.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Wow, I had no idea how horrible it is. The DVC add-on is just a parody of the original.

It's actually quite nice ... on the inside!

But, of course, they cheaped out on the outside and various design elements because that's today's Disney.

Again, today's Disney thinks plastic armbarnds are as much an attraction as Diagon Alley. That is the institutionalized insanity that is part of the MAGIC of The Walt Disney Company.

WDW1974

Original Poster
But this is where the logic breaks for me; I know Disney wants to proclaim that you can stay at Deluxe resorts for value/moderate pricing levels, but is this really the case? Looking at a customer's lifetime DVC cost, versus someone who would go to a Deluxe resort every 4th year, which income stream is better for Disney?

Of course it is ... sorta. Once you pay off the original purchase price, you are paying very little for Walmarted Deluxe accommodations. Someone here mentioned that they went to the Disney site to look at Pop Century and it was advertising rooms ... as 'value' rooms from $140 a night. How is that a value? Within spitting distance of that hotel (literally) is the Waldorf Astoria.

I think your comparison is off because most DVCers were never in the deluxe pool of visitors. And many that were, well, they likely visited more often than once in four years (hence, why they thought DVC was a 'deal' to begin with).

I'd argue that Disney's best income stream for long term health of the resort is having deluxe resorts at high occupancy levels that aren't inflated via discounting and/or converting units to timeshare.

I would theorize that this business model simply makes more sense for Disney since they secure long-term resort customers, which is necessary when it's hard to fill out the 25.000 rooms year round. Yes, it wasn't a problem in the 80's, when a fraction of those rooms existed, but apparently, as you say, it is today. Sure, we could also theorize that they could feel rooms via other means, e.g. lowering rates, but I'm not sure that would be a financially viable decision. Or at least I would argue that someone should do forecast calculations based on those scenarios before bluntly stating that what Disney is doing is outright stupid.

Perhaps, Disney overbuilt in a greedy feeding frenzy to get every Orlando guest to be a WDW guest?
Perhaps, Disney simply uses a pricing model that can't possibly sustain itself and is in the process of collpapsing inward?
Perhaps, the people who run Disney aren't interested in what the resort will be like in even five or 10 years time because they will be long gone and it will be someone else's problem (see: deferred maintenance, infrastructure that is crumbling, transport/monorail issues)?

Bluntly, while I'm not a financial Spirit, I have talked at length and over years with people in the hospitality business. Disney makes a profit on occupied rooms at a very low threshold (one that would likely shock many here). It differs from resort ... but if I said that $50 a night made Disney money at the Grand Flo, I'd likely be very close to reality.

So, this notion that having pricepoints that are somewhat real world wouldn't be financially viable just isn't accurate. Sure, Disney would 'lose' money based on its current modeling. But that means nothing.

On the other poster's vastly discounted $365 a night room at the Grand Flo, Disney is rolling in profit.

And because location still counts most of all in real estate, I'd argue (and will til I get bored) that WDW could easily run at upper 90s percentile load levels IF its prices weren't so out of whack with the market. Hell, if Disney ran rooms at that crazy $365 point year-round, I doubt you'd be able to get into the Grand Flo except a few very lousy periods a year.

Does DVC owners have any say in what they pay in annual fees? Does the DVC owners decide how much of their money go to the common areas (I would think that's something the resort works out as a DVC extension/conversion is done). Do you have examples of that wear and tear that at the same time is not a symbol of bad management, i.e. not happening at non-DVC resorts?

No, they do not.
No, they do not.
No, I do not.

No, I haven't read every single thread in the past 70 pages :) I simply don't have the time to do that. Does that mean I can't ask a question?

No, of course you haven't. You've just dropped in to the middle of a discussion and want people to answer or discuss things that it would be rational to assume have already been brought up. Even multi-tasking, I simply don't have the time (nor the desire) to keep repeating things when they can be found elsewhere.

Besides the elitism going on in that post, I still don't understand why DVC is that much more appealing to lower-income families; isn't the initial upfront cost of membership quite substantial? I mean, you need to find that money somewhere, right?

Ah, so there's the elitism argument. DVC is going to appeal to people who could never afford deluxe resorts, but can afford to make a one-time purchase (sometimes on credit) or finance a timeshare. ... Generally, the wealthy didn't get that way by making dumb financial decisions Timeshare is almost never a smart financial decision, DVC or anywhere else. There's a reason why the industry, Disney included, thrive on an emotionally charged atmosphere where they don't want you leaving without signing on the dotted line ... very akin to what buying an automobile has traditionally been known for in the USA (since you're from Denmark and I don't know what their auto dealers are like!) :)

Well, that's just plain sad, if true. I mean, DVC owners and hotel guests alike are all bound by rules, and while you never want to come away as offensive, when your name is Disney, this just sounds like a weird way of handling that situation.

But explain to me why Disney treat DVC owners with more care than they would normal resort guests then?

Yes, if no one is lying and making things up to paint DVC in a bad and unfair light, you are right. That is sad. It also is reality.

Disney doesn't do confrontation well. And it never wants to confront guests (see other threads you haven't had time to read where we talk about Disney letting guests shoplift almost at will rather than do anything about it).

But, yes, you are correct. It is a weird way of handling things. It's just another reason why that entire management structure needs housecleaning and a ... major refurb!

MickeyKimmy

Yes. That all plays into the mental health and addiction issues. And you better believe Disney actively takes advantage of it. They just have meetings where the behavior is coiffed in nice terms in case anything ever goes public. ... Disney most assuredly doesn't wish to be known as a company that takes advantage of the mentally feeble, even if that is what it does.

So just to clear this up, are you saying that anyone who buys DVC has mental health and addiction issues in addition to being mentally feeble??? If not, can you please clarify what you meant by this?

ABQ

Disney doesn't do confrontation well. And it never wants to confront guests
If only they would, I'd rather not sit next to someone in swim trunks @ Jiko. Call me elitist, but it's hard to justify signature dining costs when a great portion of the clientele looks like they just walked in from the beach. And that's one of the few restaurants with food worthy of the cost.

Nemo14

So just to clear this up, are you saying that anyone who buys DVC has mental health and addiction issues in addition to being mentally feeble??? If not, can you please clarify what you meant by this?
No, what he said is that Disney knows how to target those who might be a bit challenged in the common sense department. That doesn't mean that all DVC members have issues, (but a rather large proportion of them probably do).

PlaneCrazy1978

No, what he said is that Disney knows how to target those who might be a bit challenged in the common sense department. That doesn't mean that all DVC members have issues, (but a rather large proportion of them probably do).

So what you are saying is a large portion of people who have bought DVC in the past lack common sense? How many do you think that have bought DVC are lacking in that common sense? 80%, 90%? What's your best guess?

NeXuS1000

Of course it is ... sorta. Once you pay off the original purchase price, you are paying very little for Walmarted Deluxe accommodations. Someone here mentioned that they went to the Disney site to look at Pop Century and it was advertising rooms ... as 'value' rooms from $140 a night. How is that a value? Within spitting distance of that hotel (literally) is the Waldorf Astoria.

I think your comparison is off because most DVCers were never in the deluxe pool of visitors. And many that were, well, they likely visited more often than once in four years (hence, why they thought DVC was a 'deal' to begin with).

Alright, so the core argumentation begins with the cost-to-quality ratio difference between "on-site" resorts and those not operated by Disney? If the prices are really that out-of-whack (I haven't done that much direct comparison, but it didn't seem that much more expensive when we booked our August trip - we're staying at the Yacht Club, and for 5 people (sharing room though, tbh) for a week (7 nights), with 6 day passes (incl. park hopper and waterparks) as well as the Deluxe Dining Plan, we payed roughly $8.500, which is a lot, yes, but considering that it includes park tickets, dining etc., I never found it to be outrageous.)

But I understand your point, and if Disney is using DVC to combat their own occupancy problems, created by artificially inflated prices, then I agree it's a stupid move. But have they ever had true occupancy problems? What's their lowest occupancy rate they ever hit? And again, doesn't DVC provide a better cushion for economic turmoil, that could otherwise significantly hit occupancy rates?

I'd argue that Disney's best income stream for long term health of the resort is having deluxe resorts at high occupancy levels that aren't inflated via discounting and/or converting units to timeshare.

Not saying I disagree, but I'm just curious about why you think that provides the better long-term result for Disney?

No, of course you haven't. You've just dropped in to the middle of a discussion and want people to answer or discuss things that it would be rational to assume have already been brought up. Even multi-tasking, I simply don't have the time (nor the desire) to keep repeating things when they can be found elsewhere.

Let's not get all passive aggressive here :)

I didn't read the entire thread (but a lot of posts though), but I still have the right to post and ask questions, and it's not like I specifically aimed them at you. I'm grateful for anyone who takes their time to answer, but people not reading 80-page long threads just to jump into discussions and ask questions is part of the internet ;)

Ah, so there's the elitism argument. DVC is going to appeal to people who could never afford deluxe resorts, but can afford to make a one-time purchase (sometimes on credit) or finance a timeshare. ... Generally, the wealthy didn't get that way by making dumb financial decisions Timeshare is almost never a smart financial decision, DVC or anywhere else. There's a reason why the industry, Disney included, thrive on an emotionally charged atmosphere where they don't want you leaving without signing on the dotted line ... very akin to what buying an automobile has traditionally been known for in the USA (since you're from Denmark and I don't know what their auto dealers are like!) :)

I know that timeshare in general is, well, not a sound financial decision for the buyer. I definitely get that (which is also why I fail to see why it's bad for Disney's bottomline).

And regarding the elitism; I haven't experienced some of these "tales" first-hand, but when I'm going there in August, with a lot of signature dining restaurants booked, I definitely don't plan to come in wearing my finest suits. They do write that you can't have t-shirts with offensive languages, and swimwear, and tank-tops, etc., and that I will definitely respect, but I will still come in casual clothing, and I don't see the problem in that. It's a vacation resort.

But... what I do understand the criticism of is if people break those rules, e.g. show up in swimwear, and Disney does nothing about it. As in, going directly against prescribed rules. That sounds like a veeery weird policy to me, for sure.

MickeyKimmy

I really think this is a ridiculous thing to say. Just because someone buys something that you do not see the value in, does not make them mentally feeble or mean they lack common sense. There are a lot of things that people spend their money on that seem stupid or not worth it to me, but I don't automatically think there is something wrong with them because I don't agree with their choices.

Nemo14

I really think this is a ridiculous thing to say. Just because someone buys something that you do not see the value in, does not make them mentally feeble or mean they lack common sense. There are a lot of things that people spend their money on that seem stupid or not worth it to me, but I don't automatically think there is something wrong with them because I don't agree with their choices.
I think it depends on the reasoning involved though. If it was a decision made because it "fit" the vacationing habits of the buyer, and most importantly if it was paid in full at purchase time, then I have no issue with that decision. If it was made for strictly "magical,pixie-dusting" reasons, and if the buyer agreed to pay exorbitant interest rates, then there's a certain amount of questionable sanity there, don't you think?

Last edited:

seascape

All I can say is wait until 8/5/14 and we will see Disney's quarterly statement. How Disney is doing is graded everyday on wall street and reports have to be issued quarterly. Disney parks will be judged in 2016 on if the Shanghai investment was good or not. Just like universal will be judged on how DA is doing when the September financial results come out. Summer is the busiest 3 months of the year so we will not have to wait long to see the DA results. I have my money on Disney and their executives. If you don't like what Disney is doing don't go and don't give them your money. It's your money and you should only support businesses you like. Many of us love Disney and what they are doing. We see the investments Disney is making and their returns.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom