The Spirited 8th Wonder (WDW's Future & You!)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
@WDW1974 , Assuming Disney's plan is to continue to build DVC at the deluxe resorts why did the Poly DVC get scaled back? Is it just to save money on construction of new buildings? Poly DVC is going to sell fast since it's arguably the most popular WDW resort. The original rumored plans only converted 1 longhouse to DVC and had 2 new DVC wings. Maybe the infrastructure couldn't handle that many additional rooms. They would have definitely had a parking issue.

SandraAnn

I meant to add to my first comment...

I had a rough idea what this thread was going to be about with the clues given :)

But I was really betting that it was going to be that Disney was going to start using FP-Plus to boost occupancy onsite, or at least at the deluxes.

I have to say I'm surprised they aren't doing this in some way, other than the booking window, which really isn't a big deal other than Anna and Elsa and maybe Mine Train.

I know it wouldn't be worth the price of upgrading necessarily, but it would be a nice perk.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Man, I've seen Spirit allude to DVC people reading his threads. I really hope that is true, because it would be an eye opening experience. I think the most positive comments I've read about DVC (and I'll admit I've not read every post in the thread) was basically:
We like it because it's convenient.

Not the rooms, the amenities, the experience, any of that. Just "it's close to the parks and not typically hideous".

I find that so strange.

But I also find it strange when people who take buses, while standing up with others of varying hygiene at 2 a.m., and spending 20-90 minutes in transit thinking that WDW resorts are so much more convenient than having a car and driving 10 minutes.

But I am a thinker ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
What do you think the problem with the Beach Club is exactly? I have stayed there a lot in the past, probably 7-10 times, but not recently. I am going back in september, but staying in the villas with my family. Last time my parents went, they were extremely disappointed in the room. It was a corner around the lobby area and they said it looked like they just took mismatched furniture and threw it in there. They are actually being comped one night in the villas for telling them they were extremely unhappy with the room.

It's run by management that is poor and is more (only?) interested in the bottom line.

I haven't stayed at BC since the Villas opened in 2002.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Have you ever seen how Time shares are sold???? Part of it is a snob factor honestly, being in an exclusive group etc. etc. Also it's investment for years to come for your family etc. etc. I could probably make the case either way if I sat down and ran the numbers counting in inflation. Of course if you own a DVC and ticket prices at the park doubles in 10 years your saving on the room would be suspect at best.

Doesn't matter I live in an area where their was a big wave of time shares sold and I know people who made a good amount of money selling them. I know exactly how they sell them.

Snobbery absolutely plays a factor (and is a BIG deal in the Disney fan community ... on my recent Panama Canal cruise there seemed to be lots of folks enjoying one-upping others by the number of DCL cruises they had taken).

Hell, my own cousin used to brag about her DVC as ''we own a condo inside WDW'' and I'd not-so-gently remind her that all she did was buy into a pre-paid vacation plan and owned absolutely nothing.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
I find that so strange.

But I also find it strange when people who take buses, while standing up with others of varying hygiene at 2 a.m., and spending 20-90 minutes in transit thinking that WDW resorts are so much more convenient than having a car and driving 10 minutes.

But I am a thinker ...
But the bus system is so magical and convenient! It's totally worth more than the parking rate to take 2-3 hours out of your day to go a couple miles.

WDW1974

Original Poster
With 25,000+ rooms WDW left the them park business years ago. They have been in the hotel business. They are now canabalizing their future hotel business by selling part of it off.

I can't predict the future, but trading into DVC from another timeshare is still one of the hardest things to do. There is quite a bit of demand. If DVC owners trade out through RCI their rooms are still filled just with someone who trades in. DVC resorts run at 95% occupancy.

Repeat after me: WDW Co. is a real estate development and hotel/timeshare management company with theme parks as ANCILLARY businesses. I have been preaching this for at least a dozen years now.

WDW1974

Original Poster
They had the best pasta primavera (or at least I thought so) :) back in the late 80s. Whenever I see it on a menu elsewhere, my first thought is the one they had in the CBR food court. And it was so well themed. But that was also pre- 'Value' resorts and their food courts. It was more a novelty and special then since the only non sit down snack bars/ fast food in the resorts (Contemporary, Poly, GF) were Captain Cooks, and Fiesta Fun Center.

Yes. They also had amazing freshly grilled burgers and a deli that made amazing sandwiches etc.

BTW, CBR was considered a value resort when it opened. It wasn't until Disney decided to build the All Stars that the term 'moderate resort' was coined. That's when they hastily took a chunk of the food court out and added a full service restaurant and also removed the mini-bars from the rooms.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I dont think John will be good as CEO.
a CEO is the one who directs a company financial. John is more lik a visionary with imagination.. he needs to fly..
If he somehow was elected CEO, I bet they will try to tie him down to a chair, force him to attend boring meetings and burn his sanity until he becomes yet another wall street drone.

Don't want to veer too far in this discussion, but John Lasseter wouldn't be capable of running TWDC and I can assure you that while he wouldn't mind the money, he has no desire to be CEO (nor would be ever be considered).

the.dreamfinder

Don't want to veer too far in this discussion, but John Lasseter wouldn't be capable of running TWDC and I can assure you that while he wouldn't mind the money, he has no desire to be CEO (nor would be ever be considered).
John would function best in a management culture that instinctively believes in the value of creativity and passion while also using restraint when necessary.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Do you not use DVC points to stay on property?

I have used DVC points THREE times to stay at WDW in my life. Two were points gifted me from friends for one bedroom units at the BW. Last year, my girlfriend and I stayed at OKW (studio) and DAK Lodge (one bedroom) on points that she purchased before she met me.

I have never paid a penny to stay at WDW DVC resorts except when I booked units (with CM or AP discounts) many years ago through Disney as a 'cash renter'.

WDW1974

Original Poster
There are plenty of positives, but most of them date back 20 or more years.

I still think there are positives, but they are here and there. A new restaurant or menu ... a new line of merchandise ... the nice new parade at MK (the first one in years that can be mentioned in the same breath as those at international resorts and DLR) ... hell, even the SDMT and the LOOK of new Fantasyland, the new Frozen fireworks. Or my favorite relatively new thing, the Celebrate the MAGIC projection show.

There's plenty good.

The problem is it's a drop in the bucket because so much else is going to hell and/or not being fixed or being Walmarted. Things do improve on the micro level, but continually fall on the macro level. If they hadn't of given up on the resort more than a decade ago, then all this stuff would be icing on a spectacular cake. But they did give up.

WDW1974

Original Poster
The thread is about one topic that most seem to see as something negative (I would agree with that assessment personally). And since the owner and the moderators of this website asked everyone to stay on one topic in this thread, that's what is being discussed. There are plenty of positives being discussed all over this website in other threads. And I think plenty of us read more than just this one thread on this website, so we do get a varied picture.

Congrats on having Post 999. There is room for a thousand and more and more ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
What @WDW1974 wrote about a possible lounge seemed to be about a concierge lounge. I took that as meaning that they are considering to add club level villas like they have them at AKV-Jambo. Those are wildly popular. And the WL CL seems to be very popular, too. So I think it is more a perk to sell WL lodge, even to get existing DVC members to add on there for the home resort advantage for these CL villas. There were rumours about CL being added to the VGF, but that did not happen.

That's exactly what the current plan is. :)

WDW1974

Original Poster
Any room that is not booked 30 (I think, might be a different number) by a DVCer goes into "breakage" and DVC can then sell this room internally to Disney which can then rent out the room as a normal guest room. I am pretty sure the "breakage" fee that is paid internally is much lower than the rack rate for the room. Of course it depends on whether Disney can sell the room...

I know in the past (think pre-2008), I was able to book DVC units with either CM or AP discounts a few months in advance.

WDW1974

Original Poster
That seems to be the design intended for all the resorts now.
I hadn't checked out the FS since they had concept art up, but after checking out the photos of the resort & comparing it to the hack job upgrade at the GF. It is clear that Disney deluxe resorts are in trouble.
  • the massive water play area for children
  • the lazy river
  • adult only pool
  • Capa (steakhouse)
  • Ravello (Italian)
  • Beautiful rooms with views of Wishes Fireworks & Epcot.
I just don't see any disney deluxe coming close to FS.

That's fine. How many typical WDW guests today, even those who pay top dollar at he Grand Flo or the Poly would be comfortable even setting foot in a Four Seasons.

Hell, I wouldn't walk in dressed like I am right now (yes, I am wearing a tee, albeit designer, and JORTS!!!)

When I was in O-Town for the 4th, I visited the amazing Hilton Orlando (at the CC) where a friend's family was staying (I have Pricelined the place for $53 a night!) and even there with no real conventions going on, the people were dressed noticeably better than the Walmart look that is typical at WDW resorts today.

WDW1974

Original Poster
@WDW1974 , Assuming Disney's plan is to continue to build DVC at the deluxe resorts why did the Poly DVC get scaled back? Is it just to save money on construction of new buildings? Poly DVC is going to sell fast since it's arguably the most popular WDW resort. The original rumored plans only converted 1 longhouse to DVC and had 2 new DVC wings. Maybe the infrastructure couldn't handle that many additional rooms. They would have definitely had a parking issue.

I asked this of a few folks and don't have a definitive answer. My best guess is that the Poly has an extremely loyal group of guests, many who return year after year. I think TDO was afraid of completely alienating them because most of the loyalists are not DVCers.

GrammieBee

No one is telling you not to. If it's worth it to you, then it's worth it to you.

In any case, if someone was telling us not to, we wouldn't pay any attention to them. I agree that a deluxe resort hotel room may not be worth the rack rate. They are, except maybe the Grand Floridian, four star hotels. If we could not get a discount we would book a campsite in Fort Wildernes and rent a fifth wheel trailer. A much better financial value and we would still be on property. Value is such a subjective concept. At our age the value of a hotel roon on property has much more to do with intangibles such as memories, convenience and a leasurely pace to just enjoy the surroundings.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom