The Spirited 11th Hour ...

Figments Friend

Can't like this post enough. It really gets to the heart of why threads like this come into existence, and it's a sentiment that (I believe) should be felt by all Disney fans. I really don't think anyone on these boards hates WDW - no, not even @ford91exploder! But many us do have complaints and worries about how we see the resort, and company as a whole, operate.

It's a mindset that seems to start at middle management and go all the way up to the CEO. It's one that I think can best be described as "grudging appreciation" of the Disney Parks®. They make a lot of money for the company, but they also require a lot of time, energy and investment. And the execs and higher ups hate that "time, energy, and investment" part. They just want return without the constant investment. And that shows in how the parks have been run for the past decade.

Ever increasing prices, dance parties instead of streetmosphere, new attractions where more thought was put into the facade than the ride itself, existing rides where show effects sit dirty and broken, an obsession with expanding DVC, and all the other myriad of things that are done and then justified as, "Well, Disney is a business." And yes, as nitpicky as it is, it goes all the way down to plain napkins, soda "rationing", and a refusal to plant trees and provide benches.

There's no passion or excitement on any decision. Everything is through the lens of expenditures vs. returns. There's a bloated bureaucracy that both inhibits timely change and that also makes anything new much too expensive. That all has to change. As antithetical as it may sound in today's political and economic world, Disney needs to STOP running as a business - because it's slowly killing itself from the inside (no, not in terms of profit and $$$, but in terms of creativity, passion, and expertise).

^ This.
So much.

Folks need to re-read this again.
Speaks volumes.

-

Cesar R M

I'd continue this discussion if you would only read what I have said and not what you think I have said. I believe that is exactly what I meant... It is a family oriented area, not to exclude a group because of intensity. Mild attractions can be enjoyed by everybody, not just the adrenaline junkie's. It's never exclusive to kids unless adults are immature enough to feel embarrassed about enjoying something with their children. I just feel that it is good to have one area where parents can be comfortable about all attractions and not end up with screaming kids. Tell me what better area would there be if not Fantasyland. If people want to push for the "thrills" there are plenty of other locations in WDW to have them. They don't have to be everywhere.
It goes both ways.. just saying.

Cesar R M

I hate Disney's obsession with live-action remakes, but damn this is actually a good trailer

agree, also the voice actors.. wow!

also best part of the whole think imho? they didn't whitewash the entire thing.
a very balanced group of actors!

Don't know why Disney and Warner Bros both decided to put out a Jungle Book film within a year of each other. Makes no sense.

They fight for the hype of the same themes.

Example:
Armageddon vs Deep Impact.
Volcano vs Dante's Peak.

Mowgli's got better survival skills than Simba anyway.
Well....
Mowgli didnt have to deal with a murderous UNCLE who worked in the shadows for most of the film.
The part of Shere Khan was pretty obvious.

PhotoDave219

That's where I am confused, because by most estimates, 7DMT is a mild attraction...

Yeah, I'm the only head case around here. I'm disapointed that I cant ride some things but love that theres plenty enough for me to ride and enjoy at MK. (Studios? Notsomuch. Epcot? Good think I like the bar. DAK? I came for the tigers.)

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Fantasyland is Fantasyland and it is directed to the younger audience, just as Adventureland and Tomorrowland is directed an older group.
I dont think that is true at all. Just because Tomorrowland has Space Mtn does not mean the entire land is directed to older groups. All of the other rides are quite mild. What is in Adventureland that is directed to older groups? The make believe Pirate ride or Jungle boat? The spinner? The big Tree House? Those lands were created with families in mind, not just one subset or age group.

These are all lands that were created back when the Imagineers did not live in fear of daring to speak out. There was a balance and harmony of budget and imagination. It shines through in their design and the detail that has truly stood the test of time. Comparing NFL to any other land in MK its clear to see the difference. The size, the scope, the flow and the ever so touted "immersiveness" are just plain better, (IMO). Take that same group of Imagineers and executives from back in the day and give them $500 million and 5 years to build a new area and I bet dollars to doughnuts we would actually be BLOWN AWAY, not just served up a concoction of phased opening, buzz word hyped clones and meet and greets with a dash of Goofy Barnstormer on protein powder (not even steroids).

JUFL2019

Please stop adding word and thoughts to my posts. As for the highlighted area... there you have 7DMT plus all the rest of WDW. Fantasyland is Fantasyland and it is directed to the younger audience, just as Adventureland and Tomorrowland is directed an older group. Fantasyland isn't all of MK, it has a purpose and everyone seems to be wanting to alter that purpose to fit their agenda.

I am an older person, almost 68 to be exact. There is nothing in Fantasyland that makes my heart go pitty pat and it should stay that way, because that is the Fantasy of Magic Kingdom. That wouldn't stop me from taking my grandchildren in there and sharing their fun. I wouldn't want to force them to sit through CoP with me either unless they wanted too. There is enough to do for all ages and the defined lands serve that purpose.

You really don't understand what the term E-Ticket means, do you?

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Absolutely no one is saying this should be in Fantasyland.
Kingda_Ka_(Full_Layout).JPG

What we're talking about is something like Pirates, Haunted Mansion, or for more recent examples, Poohs Hunny Hunt and Mystic Manor. These are experiences the whole family enjoys, unlike playing pretend with cardboard. SDMT could've easily been MK's fourth mountain and last I checked whole families love those attractions. Once the kid is tall enough they can't wait to ride in most cases.

Im sure they could find a spot to shoehorn it into.....because Kingda Ka takes place in Norway!!! (someone will prove it)

Norway_Full_25732 copy.jpg

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom