The Spirited 11th Hour ...

MuteSuperstar

Yep. The starry-eyed worship of these CEO types is beyond tiresome, as is the assumption that everyone below upper management is expendable and a nuisance. It's intolerable, indefensible BS. And it has accelerated at a disgusting rate over just the past few years.

But we are off topic (whatever the topic even is at this point :) ) and I will stop now.

ThemeParkJunkee

Yes, I am "management". I worked for a not for profit entity and I took a salary. Needless to say, no stocks or options in my compensation package. I worked 50-60 hour weeks because I cared. We had union workers. Unskilled, trained by us who screamed "unfair" when we enforced the contractual obligations of verbal, written and other warnings when they were fired, often by me because their supervisor was "uncomfortabe" with that role. I became the "dragon lady" and the sound of my heels clicking down the halls was a signal for "Oh Oh somebody is in trouble now". I was a single mom. I paid the bills but couldn't save much. Daycare cost a fortune.

The whole "hey I agreed to work for you cut me some slack" mentality is so foreign to me. The idea that anyone owes you a job, a living or$15 an hour for actually gracing their presence offends me. The "employee of today" is so clueless. Even the employee of yesterday who is given all the rules will bend them.

The problem is integrity and self initiation. There is very little of that in action today.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Spot on! I always find myself dumbfounded when my leaders give me a "way to go" for doing something as simple as recovering the sales floor, or restocking when we're not busy. Like what? That doesn't even deserve any form of recognition, to me at least, because that is a standard duty of working in retail. I've been called an "overachiever" or "butt kisser" because I have self-initiation. Its just bizarre to me. And then some folks wonder why I get selected for professional advancement opportunities while they're still stuck complaining in the fitting room.

I keep it real simple.. when someone is going out of their way to thank me for something that really should just be normal behavior I simply say "That's what they pay me for" :) Or "its what I'm here for..".

raymusiccity

Yes, I am "management". I worked for a not for profit entity and I took a salary. Needless to say, no stocks or options in my compensation package. I worked 50-60 hour weeks because I cared. We had union workers. Unskilled, trained by us who screamed "unfair" when we enforced the contractual obligations of verbal, written and other warnings when they were fired, often by me because their supervisor was "uncomfortabe" with that role. I became the "dragon lady" and the sound of my heels clicking down the halls was a signal for "Oh Oh somebody is in trouble now". I was a single mom. I paid the bills but couldn't save much. Daycare cost a fortune.

The whole "hey I agreed to work for you cut me some slack" mentality is so foreign to me. The idea that anyone owes you a job, a living or$15 an hour for actually gracing their presence offends me. The "employee of today" is so clueless. Even the employee of yesterday who is given all the rules will bend them.

The problem is integrity and self initiation. There is very little of that in action today.

Agreed! You should have some incentive to better your position in life. Flipping burgers or washing dishes is not a position that you should plan as long term employment. Some will say, 'you can't support your family for $15 an hr. Well, you might have to hold down two or three jobs if that what it takes! Unfortunately, it's a much easier path to become unemployable and beat a path to the mailbox to support yourself.

Cesar R M

They already removed the lights. This is to paint and polish the turrets
I know, Im just saying that its a normal view before and after Christmas.
Anyway, I still remember when the turrets were painted shinny silver before giving the final blueish color.
They looked neat on pure silver.

FigmentForver96

Agreed! You should have some incentive to better your position in life. Flipping burgers or washing dishes is not a position that you should plan as long term employment. Some will say, 'you can't support your family for $15 an hr. Well, you might have to hold down two or three jobs if that what it takes! Unfortunately, it's a much easier path to become unemployable and beat a path to the mailbox to support yourself.
Omg yes this times 10000!!! You know since moving to my home time I am now working at Target. I make WAY less money than I did when I was in Orlando and I'm going back to school to seek a new degree. My money is TIGHT and I cannot travel like I once did....practically none. I started last August as a simple Cart Pusher and I have moved through three different ranks. I know and the front of the store lead and have surpassed people working for multiple years. It's so funny to see people complain about me and how they don't get recognized for working so hard. One team member complained to HR for only receving one verbal "good job" after a four hour shift? Like what the heck? Sorry anyway rant over...this had nothing to do with the thread but I needed to chip in.

PhotoDave219

Yep. The starry-eyed worship of these CEO types is beyond tiresome, as is the assumption that everyone below upper management is expendable and a nuisance. It's intolerable, indefensible BS. And it has accelerated at a disgusting rate over just the past few years.

But we are off topic (whatever the topic even is at this point :) ) and I will stop now.

Actually.... We generally discuss these business topics in here. You're good.

..... Just as so you don't post movie spoilers.

Captain Neo

@WDW1974 I wanted to switch gears for a second and ask you about whats going on over at Universal Studios. With the recent acquisition of DreamWorks Animation it seems they are pretty gung-ho on putting more DWA product into the parks (specifically Shrek and Kung-Fu Panda). Now I'm wondering between that, the Nintendo deal, and Harry Potter where does that leave projects like the Lorax ride and new Jurassic Park rides? Are they completely off the table at this point?

Any info would be appreciated!

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
You are certainly right about the attitude of some employees these days and I have no sympathy or tolerance for these terminally late idiots. However, when the pay of upper management compared to the average non-management employee at a lot of companies used to be more like 20-1 instead of 250 or 500-1, while yearly reviews for the rabble yield maybe (MAYBE) a pat on the back and yet another "well no merit increases this year", it's not hard to see why a lot of people are sick and tired. Easy solution, I know....just become a CEO. Problem solved.

And while the rank and Ike employee gets zip the executive management gets double digit increases in pay anyone with a rudimentary understanding of psychology understands that leads to an attitude at lower levels that I'm not getting rewarded for busting my butt and so ill do the minimum necessary to keep my job. You see this dynamic at work today at WDW. Iger makes tens of millions and rank and file have hours cut in the wake of 'record' profits

raymusiccity

And while the rank and Ike employee gets zip the executive management gets double digit increases in pay anyone with a rudimentary understanding of psychology understands that leads to an attitude at lower levels that I'm not getting rewarded for busting my butt and so ill do the minimum necessary to keep my job. You see this dynamic at work today at WDW. Iger makes tens of millions and rank and file have hours cut in the wake of 'record' profits
You'll see by most of the biographies of CEO'S, that they all succeeded by busting their butts up through the ranks.....not by doing the minimum to hold onto their jobs. :)

yellowrocket

@WDW1974 With the recent acquisition of DreamWorks Animation it seems they are pretty gung-ho on putting more DWA product into the parks (specifically Shrek and Kung-Fu Panda)!

I would hope the any interest NBCU has in DWA would be new films and fresh intellectual property. Even though USS has an entire Shrek and Madagascar land, neither of those IPs have a timeless quality about them. The "DreamWorks Experience" package that includes Shrek, Madagascar, Kung Fu Panda, and (to a lesser extent) How to Train Your Dragon has already been ported to Royal Caribbean, Dreamworld park in Australia, and Gaylord Hotels (whose new owner, Marriott, ended their contract with DWA a year early). I believe the new park in Dubai is licensed under a different contract, but it still uses those same core characters that aren't particularly aging well.

Cesar R M

You'll see by most of the biographies of CEO'S, that they all succeeded by busting their butts up through the ranks.....not by doing the minimum to hold onto their jobs. :)
I disagree, a lot of them have higher education levels and are/were of medium-high class or higher (aka born already in a privilege position that lets them have higher education with no really big debts) and had contacts (sorta like Trump.. who "got loaned" a few millions to startup)
Contacts with high social circles is critical than actual pure raw experience or work power.

The new way to win is having contacts and work smarter not harder.
Work harder nowadays and you will probably be expected to work the same hard with the same salary/pay with no rankup opportunity.

Not to mention that the majority of students right now are being purposely "set down" by crippling debts.
Because it seems that nowadays, even a simple job requires a Bachelor.

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

The days of rising to an executive position from the factory floor or mailroom to the executive ranks is long over, Modern HR departments and systems have 'safeguards' to prevent this from happening, These days future managers go straight from business school into management training programs because executive management these days is more of a 'social club' than a strict meritocracy being from the 'Right Community and having gone to the Right Schools' is far more important than native talent or skill.

The only place this is not true is in the tech sector these days and even there the operative strategy is when the 'Pretty People' show up in management it's time to leave.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Not in my state as there is a very high bar to even collect unemployment and welfare is extremely limited for adults, Up here it's have a job or starve.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
The days of rising to an executive position from the factory floor or mailroom to the executive ranks is long over, Modern HR departments and systems have 'safeguards' to prevent this from happening, These days future managers go straight from business school into management training programs because executive management these days is more of a 'social club' than a strict meritocracy being from the 'Right Community and having gone to the Right Schools' is far more important than native talent or skill.

The only place this is not true is in the tech sector these days and even there the operative strategy is when the 'Pretty People' show up in management it's time to leave.

Geez....if I had this attitude about work (or life in general), I would probably still be folding towels in a motel basement.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Geez....if I had this attitude about work (or life in general), I would probably still be folding towels in a motel basement.

Then you obviously know little about modern HR systems and how they are weighted against low level workers advancing through the ranks in the US, Yes a front line worker MAY reach 'store manager' level with a Bachelor's from the local community college but higher level positions frequently have cute little carveouts like 'candidate must have graduated from ivy league college from Years X to Y with a GPA in the range of A to B' these are ostensibly to ensure organizational FIT but in reality serve only as a filter to prevent upward mobility, Another one is 'External Hire Only'.

For all the heat Government workers take these days in the US it's one of the few places outside of Universities that a low level worker can advance on merit alone through the ranks without artificial barriers placed in their path. A similar story is true at universities where I know a bunch of people where someone came in as a glassware cleaner or food service worker and today they are Deans or Senior managers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom