The Spirited 11th Hour ...

artvandelay

Is this becoming a common thing? Shouldn't this kind of work be done overnight?

image.jpeg

PhotoDave219

Observations....

Disney Springs draws people. Fills up restaurants. Ridiculously difficult to get into a garage if you're not coming from I-4....

The guests at Trader Sam's don't get the jokes and the current cast doesn't do it right, not like opening cast. Seems toned down. I blame Frank.

All of South Florida and New York seem to be in the 407 right now.... Oy. I'm judging that by the amount of people with New York and New Jersey plates that cut across three lanes to cut me off. Now when I'm north of DC, I expect that (starting with you Maryland drivers) but when I'm traveling, not so much....

To quote a very good friend... "I've stayed at courtyards nicer than Disney rooms" is beyond the truth. Got a deal at a timeshare place on Turkey Lake and it's by far the nicest hotel room I've stayed in. Better than the Westin suite in Boston, better than Concierge at Wildy or Poly, better than Swolphin, and better than the hard rock at Universal. And that's just the room itself.... It is exactly what I would expect for Disney deluxe prices - and I'm not paying that. Huge stall shower, jacuzzi and giant king size bed, water view. It's beyond my expectations and makes up for every shady Hotel trick I fell for in the past. Seriously, $250+ a night means kickass bed, kickass bath and a small fridge. Their parking situation leaves a lot to be desired tho, especially after partying with pole dancers until 3AM.

My waitress is a size 2 and oh dear god the rest of that observation shall remain unfinished....

The amount of Harry Potter costumes for sale at target and the appropriate accessories are rather surprising. Complete, full on Halloween costumes. I feel Disney is missing out on the Star Wars costumes/cosplay market.

A dodge dart is simply too small to have an average sized driver. I keep knocking my hat off when i check my blind spot. Dont rent one.

As someone I cant stand put it "Twitter isn't real life" (says the Alabama fupa)... and its really interesting to meet people from the Disney-twinker only to find that they have fantastic electronic social skills but lack the certain je ne ce quois of everyday social interactions. Point being, people need to learn how to interact and function in society. IMO.

There are plenty of hardcore Disney parks fans that realize and want to see the rest of the outside world. Why see the imitation of Independence Hall, an imitation Liberty Bell, and have imitation funnel cake when Philadelphia is cheaper to get to than Orlando?

The abject difficulty of coming to Orlando - getting my Bags shouldn't take half as long as my flight - in addition to traffic, it does not make me want to keep coming back. Rampant development in the tourist corridor grows unabated exponentially whereas the infrastructure hasn't changed since before I lived here in 2004. Given the pricing model that the mouse has adopted and Universal is slowly following, I simply cannot see how the economy is sustainable anymore - there simply aren't enough upper middle class people in the world to pay for all this. There's a giant bubble forming again and it's readily evident. Trompe l'oeil

The vast disparity that exists between classes when you visit the Caribbean is beginning to show in Orlando, considering Orlando is now essentially a service economy. Seeing the enormous differences between the guests and those serving them and how people treat them is a vast disparity and a rather shocking development in America 2016.

Dear god that waitress...

HauntedMansionFLA

Observations....

Disney Springs draws people. Fills up restaurants. Ridiculously difficult to get into a garage if you're not coming from I-4....

The guests at Trader Sam's don't get the jokes and the current cast doesn't do it right, not like opening cast. Seems toned down. I blame Frank.

All of South Florida and New York seem to be in the 407 right now.... Oy. I'm judging that by the amount of people with New York and New Jersey plates that cut across three lanes to cut me off. Now when I'm north of DC, I expect that (starting with you Maryland drivers) but when I'm traveling, not so much....

To quote a very good friend... "I've stayed at courtyards nicer than Disney rooms" is beyond the truth. Got a deal at a timeshare place on Turkey Lake and it's by far the nicest hotel room I've stayed in. Better than the Westin suite in Boston, better than Concierge at Wildy or Poly, better than Swolphin, and better than the hard rock at Universal. And that's just the room itself.... It is exactly what I would expect for Disney deluxe prices - and I'm not paying that. Huge stall shower, jacuzzi and giant king size bed, water view. It's beyond my expectations and makes up for every shady Hotel trick I fell for in the past. Seriously, $250+ a night means kickass bed, kickass bath and a small fridge. Their parking situation leaves a lot to be desired tho, especially after partying with pole dancers until 3AM.

My waitress is a size 2 and oh dear god the rest of that observation shall remain unfinished....

The amount of Harry Potter costumes for sale at target and the appropriate accessories are rather surprising. Complete, full on Halloween costumes. I feel Disney is missing out on the Star Wars costumes/cosplay market.

A dodge dart is simply too small to have an average sized driver. I keep knocking my hat off when i check my blind spot. Dont rent one.

As someone I cant stand put it "Twitter isn't real life" (says the Alabama fupa)... and its really interesting to meet people from the Disney-twinker only to find that they have fantastic electronic social skills but lack the certain je ne ce quois of everyday social interactions. Point being, people need to learn how to interact and function in society. IMO.

There are plenty of hardcore Disney parks fans that realize and want to see the rest of the outside world. Why see the imitation of Independence Hall, an imitation Liberty Bell, and have imitation funnel cake when Philadelphia is cheaper to get to than Orlando?

The abject difficulty of coming to Orlando - getting my Bags shouldn't take half as long as my flight - in addition to traffic, it does not make me want to keep coming back. Rampant development in the tourist corridor grows unabated exponentially whereas the infrastructure hasn't changed since before I lived here in 2004. Given the pricing model that the mouse has adopted and Universal is slowly following, I simply cannot see how the economy is sustainable anymore - there simply aren't enough upper middle class people in the world to pay for all this. There's a giant bubble forming again and it's readily evident. Trompe l'oeil

The vast disparity that exists between classes when you visit the Caribbean is beginning to show in Orlando, considering Orlando is now essentially a service economy. Seeing the enormous differences between the guests and those serving them and how people treat them is a vast disparity and a rather shocking development in America 2016.

What restaurant was this waitress working at? :) :) :)

MuteSuperstar

Sad, but not shocking to me at all with the way the criminal corporate executive class has been stealing everything for themselves over the past 10-15 years, and in turn treating their employees with contempt.

I've had the same thoughts as you...how is all of this going to be sustainable? I don't think it is, for too much longer.

Soarin' Over Pgh

Observations....

Dave you're a dog.

But that's ok. I still like you.

Goofyernmost

Sad, but not shocking to me at all with the way the criminal corporate executive class has been stealing everything for themselves over the past 10-15 years, and in turn treating their employees with contempt.

I've had the same thoughts as you...how is all of this going to be sustainable? I don't think it is, for too much longer.
It's fun to put the entire responsibility on the "criminal executive class w/contempt for employee's, but, let me give you a small example of what the "employee" of today is like. Just today I was in Walmart buying some groceries and I overheard some workers talking with their supervisor about being late for work. The supervisor told them that after 9 times (pretty liberal, I thought) being late they would automatically be terminated. You never heard such an outcry of anguish as I heard. It was unfair, I have trouble waking up, one said. Another said... look I'm not a slave to my job, mess with me too much and I'll be out of here anyway.

Now, I know I'm older then dirt, but, never, ever, ever during my years of working my way through the ranks did I ever know an employee that wasn't aware of the problems of being late and how it made them look totally undependable. Today's worker figures that a job is more of a hobby, owed to them, because... they are wonderful and valuable. News Flash, you are not worth anything if you are not there. Not sure why you can't see that. You put additional burden on your fellow workers and tax the management to the limit. Good for you... you're your own man/woman but your value is greatly diminished with an attitude like that. It isn't all management that creates that don't care factor. Remember they are drawing a paycheck and will be long after your butt has cleared the door. You are not anywhere near as valuable as you think you are and a history of being late is all that is needed to keep that management person comfortably in his well apportioned office chair for a long time while you live in poverty.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
That's what hitchbot thought too.
Before his visit to Philly:
image.jpeg

And now after:
image.jpeg

Don't worry, if you aren't a lame excuse for a robot incapable of doing much of anything we'll treat you just fine;)

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
It's fun to put the entire responsibility on the "criminal executive class w/contempt for employee's, but, let me give you a small example of what the "employee" of today is like. Just today I was in Walmart buying some groceries and I overheard some workers talking with their supervisor about being late for work. The supervisor told them that after 9 times (pretty liberal, I thought) being late they would automatically be terminated. You never heard such an outcry of anguish as I heard. It was unfair, I have trouble waking up, one said. Another said... look I'm not a slave to my job, mess with me too much and I'll be out of here anyway.

Now, I know I'm older then dirt, but, never, ever, ever during my years of working my way through the ranks did I ever know an employee that wasn't aware of the problems of being late and how it made them look totally undependable. Today's worker figures that a job is more of a hobby, owed to them, because... they are wonderful and valuable. News Flash, you are not worth anything if you are not there. Not sure why you can't see that. You put additional burden on your fellow workers and tax the management to the limit. Good for you... you're your own man/woman but your value is greatly diminished with an attitude like that. It isn't all management that creates that don't care factor. Remember they are drawing a paycheck and will be long after your butt has cleared the door. You are not anywhere near as valuable as you think you are and a history of being late is all that is needed to keep that management person comfortably in his well apportioned office chair for a long time while you live in poverty.

The fish rots from the head down with the lack of leadership and the bad example being set by those in the executive suite who in many cases are not earning the salary paid them and who exude a sense of entitlement.

Goofyernmost

The fish rots from the head down with the lack of leadership and the bad example being set by those in the executive suite who in many cases are not earning the salary paid them and who exude a sense of entitlement.
No, to easy. This is a social thing. The discrepancy between upper level and lower level has always been there. The entitlement comes from society and may play on the behavior of leadership, but, isn't the cause of it. It's all part of the everybody gets a trophy syndrome. It becomes a matter of expecting that whatever degree of effort we put into things, we will or should still be rewarded equally. Life is a game. You play it by the rules. Not everyone is going to win, but, at least you have a chance if you sell yourself as a valuable asset. If not, you're just overhead and can be replaced easily. If you're the one getting replaced, you have shown those fish heads a thing or two, haven't you? No, but, you hurt yourself. Not to bright in my mind.

MuteSuperstar

No, to easy. This is a social thing. The discrepancy between upper level and lower level has always been there. The entitlement comes from society and may play on the behavior of leadership.

You are certainly right about the attitude of some employees these days and I have no sympathy or tolerance for these terminally late idiots. However, when the pay of upper management compared to the average non-management employee at a lot of companies used to be more like 20-1 instead of 250 or 500-1, while yearly reviews for the rabble yield maybe (MAYBE) a pat on the back and yet another "well no merit increases this year", it's not hard to see why a lot of people are sick and tired. Easy solution, I know....just become a CEO. Problem solved.

Goofyernmost

You are certainly right about the attitude of some employees these days. However, when the pay of upper management compared to the average non-management employee at a lot of companies used to be more like 20-1 instead of 250 or 500-1, while yearly reviews for the rabble yield maybe (MAYBE) a pat on the back and yet another "well no merit increases this year", it's not hard to see why a lot of people are sick and tired. Easy solution, I know....just become a CEO. Problem solved.
True, and that is part of what I'm saying. Somewhere along the line those people drawing that type of salary made someone believe that they had value. You and I both know that NO ONE is worth the kind of money that those people are getting paid. I repeat NO ONE. The board of directors, however, have been convinced that the place will not survive without them because those people basically have sold them on that idea. No CEO works in a vacuum. He/she relies on others for advice and ideas. Without them he/she is nothing. Wanna bet that the CEO treats them like crap also. Yup, but, at least they are getting paid a lot to be a professional doormat. Not a luxury afforded to a person just starting out in the corporate world.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom