The Sole Imagineer Season 2: Redemption Island - Discussion Thread

spacemt354

Chili's
Here ya go!

The Skyway
This week we were tasked to bring back a lost attraction from Disneyland Park. I chose the beloved Skyway, but this new edition will be much more than transportation, and will have show scenes like the Peoplemover and Disneyland Railroad. It will also have different show scenes depending on the direction you go, so it's worth it to go twice. The new Skyway will use the original round buckets from 1956, as well as the same track.

skywayfant_nelson1959b.jpg

Skyway to Tomorrowland
The Skyway Station in Fantasyland will be designed like the dwarfs cottage, from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. The queue will be outside, with only load and the show scenes on the interior. There are a total of three show scenes on the skyway, one at each station, and one inside the Matterhorn. The one in the Fantasyland station will be of Snow White, singing Someday My Prince Will Come to the seven dwarfs. Inside the Matterhorn would be the scene from Frozen where Anna, Kristoff, and Sven first meet Olaf. "Hi everyone, I'm Olaf, and I like warm hugs" "Olaf, that's right, Olaf!" would play on loop in this scene. The final scene inside the Skyway Station in Tomorrowland would be themed to Buzz Lightyear. In it, Buzz Lightyear and Zurg would be shooting at each other, with Buzz saying things like, "You aren't going to get away with this Zurg!" or "Surender now!". That will be the end of your journey on the Skyway, as you enter Tomorrowland.

1184136_1361628309987_full.jpg

Skyway to Fantasyland
This direction on the skyway will appeal to older audiences, that don't want Disney characters thrown in their faces. The station will be a futuristic looking building, similar to Space Mountain in architecture. The first show scene will be a party hosted by Sonny Eclipse from Cosmic Rays. To your left you see Sonny, and on your right is a multitude of aliens, being projected as holograms. The scene inside the Matterhorn will have the Abominable Snowman, reaching to take out your car, like the Yeti on Expedition Everest. The final scene is themed to Cinderella, where she sings A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes. After that your journey on the Skyway ends, and you arrive in Fantasyland.

Disneyland-Abominable-Snowman-Matterhorn-Bobsleds.jpg
The nostalgic in me loves the choice of the Skyway - it was one of those rides that truly was an icon of sorts at the Magic Kingdom style parks, and in particular Disneyland.

However using the same track, the Skyway closed because (according to a quick Wiki search:D:p) The Disneyland Skyway was removed on November 9, 1994 due to stress cracks in the Matterhorn roller battery supports

It would have been cool to mention how you were going to fix that:bookworm: - maybe a sentence or two on a new high tech support track or something.

But I love the theme to Snow White's cottage and excellent choice! And I love that you included scenes - even if one of them was Frozen:eek: - it makes realistic sense in a way - just as long as it doesn't take over the whole Matterhorn.

And I also like the Tomorrowland to Fantasyland track scene - it's a neat tie in to the attraction. Overall, nice work!

TheOriginalTiki Presents
Rivers of America and Tom Sawyer's Island Overhaul

For this project I took a cue from the brainstorming I and @MonorailRed did back for the Disneyland project that never made the final cut. Everyone's talking about Star Wars Land right now, but one of the things that I'm potentially excited about is an overhaul of the surrounding areas, specifically Tom Sawyer's Island and the Rivers of America. With that I hope to bring back many classic sights and attractions that have long since gone to Yesterland.

Nature's Wonderland

disneyland-update-spring-2016-017.jpg

As promised from the cryptic Disneyland Railroad poster, Nature's Wonderland will be making a grand reappearance for riders aboard the trains. After passing through the new cascading waterfalls, guests enter a cave just short of Star Wars Land to get them through a transitioning point without the train itself heading into the galaxy far, far way.

Once in the tunnel, a version of the iconic Rainbow Caverns plays out, complete with the classic music, blacklights, multitude of tidepools, and the cavalcade of colors. This tunnel stretches on for about the length of the grand canyon diorama and really gives riders a taste of an old classic.

Rainbow-Caverns.jpg

More Action on the Rivers of America!

Two classic Disneyland experiences will be added back into the Disneyland Rivers of America rotation. First of all, after years of being...just a cabin, the famed burning settlers cabin finally makes its grand return just past Fort Wilderness.

burningcabin1956.jpg

The dock for Davy Crocket's Explorer Canoes will be expanded so it can accomodate both the canoes and the return of Mike Fink's Keel Boats. With the canoes and keel boats running together with the larger scale Mark Twain and Columbia should make for a river that's truly filled with life and activity, and bring ROA back to its glory days!

maxresdefault.jpg

Tom Sawyer's Island: Classic Coke Edition

Pirates Lair is no more! Get ready to explore Tom Sawyer's Island with some of the classic features that have long since been abandoned revised for today's audiences. Guests can experience such fun activities as the merry go round and teeter totter rocks, a fishing dock where they can meet Tom and Huck, and an area of rocks that are safe enough to climb on.

2013HAW5.jpg

Of course the big draw of the new Tom Sawyer's Island will be Fort Wilderness. The structure will be entirely demolished and rebuilt from the ground up. Fort Wilderness will feature air blast rifles, look out towers to spot incoming ships from the river, a trained blacksmith giving demonstrations, and much more. It will be a true return of a Disneyland favorite that's been literally rotting away for far too long.

20110109_01_Fort_Wilderness.jpg

Finally, an old Disneyland mascot will be moving into Ranch Del Zoccola. Sharp eyed guests will notice a colorful vending machine in the corner of the dining room that serves Fritos chips. This isn't just any vending machine though. Put in the quarter and you'll hear a familiar voice yelling "send up another bag of Fritos, Klondike!"

That's right, the Frito Kid makes his grand return as the final piece of the Frontierland revival. The vending machine is made to look old fashion, along with the old timey price of a bag of Fritos only costing a quarter as part of its charm! Frito the Kid is sure to bring warm memories to an entirely new generation of Disneyland guests.

And that concludes my tour of the "new" Frontierland. In the midst of all the hype for Star Wars Land and the new technology at play there, I think it'd be very appropriate for the immediate surrounding area to get a makeover. With all the things that have been missing from Frontierland over the years, I wanted to take the opportunity to not just bring back one thing, but to bring back the spirit of the entire land before things slowly started to close. I understand it goes a little outside the lines of reviving a single attraction, but I hope it was a good proposal regardless.

The Nature's Wonderland theme is awesome! That would be such a neat call-back and, with a Star Wars Land planned for that area, to bring back something that won't necessarily generate massive crowds, but will be a unique inclusion in the park is commendable.

I guess reading on though, the one thing that I'm questioning...is that I feel like multiple things were brought back? From the way I read the prompt I thought you could only bring one ride back:confused: Don't get me wrong I really like all of the Tom Sawyer Island stuff, to me it feels like it was several "attractions" -- but I don't have to make a call on that, so I'm not going to:p

For the stuff in TSI (hey...look at that, a TSI project for TSI):bookworm: I appreciated the Ft Wilderness area the most - as I think that would be a great addition. :cool: Solid job once again!
Carousel of Progress

th

It is a shame that one of Walt Disney's most stuning and memorable attractions was taken out of Disneyland in1973 and replaced with a still memorable attraction such as America Sings was. But shouldn't the crown acheivement of WDI at the time be put into the park? Wouldn't it serve as only right? And shouldn't there be a more superior version in Disneyland since that was it's original park. Here is my idea for a return of the Carousel of Progress.

First of all, having an empty space for promotion items like the new Tomorrowland area that used to be inhabited by the CoP is terrible. So this building will again be rethemed back to the new CoP.

Queue

th

Since the whole point of the ride is it's interesting circular theater shape, the building and queue will remain the same so the theater will fit with the backstage area. But the preshow will change. Now, instead a video will be an announcer's voice saying the following:

"Welcome guests to the Carousel of Progress at Disneyland Park. Beyond the closed orange doors will be the entire history of the modern American family, and how we can look to the future to see what technologies will shape our lives in what ways. Please remain behind the blue line until the doors open, then we welcome you to experience the wonders of Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress!"

The doors open, and like always, guests enter into the theater to find their seats. Before it starts, there is a message from Tom Hanks, the narrator, quickly thanking the guests for coming and explains that the attraction was a classic and it is great that it made a return.

Scene 1

Scene 1 will be themed to the turn of the century, just like in the classic ride. There are lit electric lights that help the family see. There are family photographs on the wall, and the family can be seen listening to music on a phonograph. The narrator (played by Tom Hanks) explains that the phonograph is the first way that people don't have to be physically with a musician to hear music and that the new lights let the family do things after dark without the inconveniences of candles. The father on stage says he will be back after he runs a telegram to the post office to be sent to the family cousin. The classic song from the original ride is still heard in the background.

Scene 2

The next scene takes place in the 1930's, at the peak of the Great Depression, the Hanks explains. The children beg to go see the latest serial at the cinema. Hanks explains that at the movies, there used to be continuing stories that you would have to return next week to see the end of. The mother and father let the two go, but in return they will have to postpone the family trip to purchase an Oldsmobile. Hanks explained that this family was very lucky that they were not unemployed and could purchase the new automobiles. The father then silences everyone when the Dodgers game starts on the radio.

Scene 3

Scene three takes place in the late 70s. The family are all wearing the 'unique' fashion styles of the decade. There is now a television, on which the family is watching MASH. Hanks explains it is one of the most popular shows of the decade. The mother also goes to cook in a kitchen with many stainless steel applances. The boy also says he's going to the cinema to see Star Wars again, and he has to wait an hour in line. Hanks explains that the 70s was the birth of the Summer blockbuster with movies like Star Wars dominating the box office.

Scene 4

Scene 4 shows the year 2020. As Hanks narrates that the future is bright and we know this by looking at tge past, kids are playing with VR headsets, and parents are watching a movie by mirroring their smartphone. A vacuum is also cleaning by itself. Outside the window is a bright city . Hanks ends by saying "The future is bright, so we all need to go out there and do our part to make it that way. If we keep discovering and innovating, the world will become an even better place. The background song finishes, and the show ends.

The exit queue is showing a history of Disneyland with pictues.

I hope you enjoyed!

You're barking up the right tree here. I even wanted this in the Road Trip Tomorrowland project:D I think CoP, like it's a small world and Enchanted Tiki Room, are classics that need to be included in Disneyland. In WDW, they even call it Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress. This attraction meant so much to him that it's a shame that in his park it's filled with Super Hero HQ and Innoventions...:grumpy:

I really enjoy the scenes and how you altered most of the timeline, but two things that I probably could have done without...
-Tom Hanks...he's my favorite actor, but I'd rather have an anonymous person be the lead...like the "Dad" in today's version...(who's also the narrator of A Christmas Story, btw:p I figured that out last Christmas watching the TBS 24 hour marathon)

And the second thing is having the future be 2020...that's only 4 years away, and by the time this attraction comes back "the future" will practically be the present, and soon will be the past...so I'd shoot for 2050 or something like that so the attraction has staying power. Though overall, a really awesome pick!
Episode 11 Reward Challenge- @IDInstitue's Submission
The Adventureland-Fronteirland Skyway

The Skyway has always been, in my opinion, right up there with The Matterhorn, Space Mountain, Pirates, etc., of rides that are iconic to Disneyland and one of the things that you can really recognize this park by. It was an icon and a brilliant attraction that delighted many guests year round.
Skyway_Buckets_at_Disneyland.jpg

That is, until they took it down.

There are many rumors swirling about the internet about why they took down the Skyway. However, in Disneyland at least, it really wasn't as bad as people say it was with guest danger or failures in ride mechanism. As Ken Ellingwood of the Los Angeles Times wrote, the problem was simply a money issue.

"..Disney officials said the Skyway’s safety has never been a problem, and its closure was simply a matter of popularity and work force needs. Demand for the ride has fallen off and the 10 workers who staff it will be needed to tend an “Indiana Jones” ride scheduled to open in February. The closing of the Skyway mirrors the closing of “Mission to Mars” and the “Motorboat Cruise” last year following the opening of “Mickey’s Toontown,”"

In addition, many rides similar in design and mechanism to the Skyway started popping up in theme parks all across America (many of which are now gone), simply taking away some of this ride's uniqueness. For these reasons, it is much more realistic to bring back the Skyway than one might think at first glance.

However, this is a challenge also about creativity! For my plan, I won't simply be restoring the original Skyway with the same track and design, Instead, I will be adding a new twist to it- Presenting the brand new Adventureland-Fronteirland Skyway!

Below is a map of what the path will look like. It will be a bit more complex and interesting than the original version. The original DL one was simply a straight path, and in MK it had one turn. For this one, however, it will feature three separate turns to give a more interesting experience and visit through the lands/to make it flow without spending the entire time over the water or over showbuildings, though still a fun amount over the water and through the jungle. The green represents track, the red boxes are stations, and the blue circles are turns.
fxeceo.png

The ride will overall have a very different feel to it. Instead of a 50's fantasy-future crossover theme, it will have a new feeling of an old timey adventure and western-style discovery. The vehicles will have a new theme, as they will look more like wooden supply crates, and the mechinism will play up the whole "gears and ropes" theming to give it that added feel of immersion.

SLS0002-3.jpg

Use this Monkey Depot crate above as just a visual of what a vehicle might look like. Of course, the text would be replaced by all sorts of easter eggs and references to Big Thunder, Jungle Cruise, and other things from Disneyland's past ;)

Overall, with all of the reasoning behind the decisions I think this would be a good fit for the company, as the only real problem was budget for hiring cast members, which can easily be made up for in this day and age. It is a solid people eater, and a great attraction on top of that. Thanks for reading my submission, and I hope you enjoyed it!​
Skyway! Classic. My favorite thing about this project was that it was in a different location - it allows crative flexibility and the ability to tell a whole new story and have new sight-lines throughout the park. I liked it so much that I wish I knew more about it:p

As much as I like the effort to find newspaper evidence to support your project in the intro, I have no idea who Ken Ellington is...he could be a maniac for all I know:eek::p also a link to the newspaper article would have helped give me a better background on it.

I also like the map...and you're the only one who actually included that kind of visual cue, so props there because it helps explain your project a lot better. I probably would have tried to find a better spot in Adventureland...not that there's much room to begin with, but when I walked through it a few years ago it's even narrower and tighter than WDW's (which is already tight) but overall I love the new spin on it, solid job!

TheOriginalTiki

Like I said, I completely understand that I went outside the lines in terms of what the prompt asked for. The way I saw it was that bringing back any one of those things individually wouldn't have that great of an impact, but putting them all together and you could really market the "New Rivers of America" as a call back to the glory days of Frontierland.

tcool123

This attraction meant so much to him that it's a shame that in his park it's filled with Super Hero HQ and Innoventions...:grumpy:
It's actually Star Wars Launch Bay, and an empty second floor! :D Don't think that's any better though... :confused: On the bright side you can now see an "attraction" replacing a showcase which replaced America Sings which of course replaced Carousel of Progress.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom