The "Skip It" List

MerMom1981

It starts at the airport as you're waiting for your return flight to depart. You're sharing your favorite moments, and someone says "Disney World was great, but next time, i'd do things a little differently..."

We're planning a visit next spring, but there's a few things we just gonna skip...

In General:
The Dining Plan - it just didn't end up being a value for us. It gave us too much of what we don't need (snacks and dessert... nobody needs dessert after every meal) and not enough of what we want (good food)

Counter Service restaurants - with very few exceptions, I found the QS options to be awful. Dried-out, bland food that was probably in a steam tray since the day before. The only good CS meal I had in my week at Disney was Cooke's of Dublin. It was fresh and yummy and it blew me away

Character Meet&Greets - I'm not saying none at all, but we don't need to devote so many hours of our week to them.

Magic Kingdom:
Mad Tea Party - momma just can't spin
Aladdin's Magic Carpets / Dumbo / Astro Orbiter - the kids will be tall enough for "big kid rides" so let's ride 'em
The Barnstormer - see above
It's a Small World - don't hate me! I just feel like "OK, I've seen it. I'm done now"

Epcot:
Mission Space - momma don't spin
I know Imagination makes most "skip it" lists, but I can't say. We didn't do it. Or Living with The Land, or Text Track, or Innovations...Those M&G's really eat up your day!

Hollywood Studios:
Disney Jr - the kids will be a bit old for that... At least I hope!

Animal Kingdom:
All of it. It's a beautiful park, but we have great zoo's at home, and I'd rather have two days at the other three parks.

So what do you skip? Am I making a horrible mistake?

Last edited:

BransonJ

We finally realized the dinning plan is nothing great. So we will never be using that again unless some serious changes are made to it. It just keeps us so confined that we lose value.

Other than that I could make a long list of things we are skipping this next trip since it's just me and the wife such as all kiddy rides. But we plan to just wing it around our dinner reservations and enjoy the little things this time.

Also agree with the meet and greets, most long lines with no shade and screaming kids, no thanks. Though if there's a short line or one of our favorite characters count us in.

Upvote 0

lunchbox1175

Dining plan is definitely a no for me. Basically all of the kiddie rides in Fantasyland. Mission Space....I am too claustrophobic. If it wasn't for EE, I would completely skip AK.

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

It starts at the airport as you're waiting for your return flight to depart. You're sharing your favorite moments, and someone says "Disney World was great, but next time, i'd do things a little differently..."

To the OP, it's a very personal thing, but I'd feel I was really missing out if I didn't do it's a small world, and the Animal Kingdom is worth it at least once, even if all you do is Kilimanjaro Safaris, Expedition Everest, Dinosaur and the Finding Nemo show (or Lion King, if it's back open) and then leave that park behind forever.

FWIW, here's my family's "skip it" list:

Magic Kingdom:
Stitch's Great Escape (because it's awful and a waste of time)
Tomorrowland Speedway (I hate the fumes, but I'll give in if the kids beg hard enough)
Half of the Meet-and-Greets (the kids each get to choose 3 characters they want to meet per trip, that's it)

Epcot:
Ellen's Energy Adventure (at 35+ minutes, it's just too darn long -- if we ever have enough spare time, we'll do it)
The Circle of Life film (saw it on Youtube and found it to be a yawner)
Mission:Space Orange (we do the other version -- Orange makes me nauseous)
Character Meet-and-Greets (unless the kids select Character Spot to fill their M-&-G allotment)

Hollywood Studios:
The Backlot Tour (no longer worth the time it takes to do it, although I do miss experiencing Catastrophe Canyon)
Lights, Motors, Action (maybe when the kids' attention span gets longer)
Tower of Terror (just don't enjoy the sensation of falling, although the queue alone is worth the wait)
American Idol (if I want to watch people sing, I can do it in my own living room at home)

Animal Kingdom:
Flights of Wonder (lovely show, but saw it on Youtube, and it's very similar to the bird show at our local zoo)
Pangani/Maharajah trails (great the first couple of times, but now are a lot of walking for little profit)
Rafiki's Planet Watch / Affection Section, etc. (read too many bad reviews, doesn't seem unique)
Primeval Whirl (read too many bad reviews, don't like to get whiplash on vacation)
Camp Minnie-Mickey (now gone anyway) and the Character Meet-and-Greets

Upvote 0

RubyLee

Dining Plan definitely...as for the parks....

MK:
Laugh Factory (unless there are young kids in the group)
Astro Orbiter/Magic Carpets - prefer the classic Dumbo
Speedway
Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse

HS:
American Idol Experience
Backlot Tour

Epcot:
Journey into Imagination....can only imagine how the ride used to be
Captain EO

AK:
Skipped altogether last two trips

Upvote 0

Mukta

My skip list is VERY long. That is because I have been to WDW many, many times and I can go to DL whenever I want to. I also don't like coasters, so I skip all of those.

I think skipping the Dining Plan and QS places is a good idea. Try some Signature places next time.

Upvote 0

MerMom1981

Original Poster
To the OP, it's a very personal thing, but I'd feel I was really missing out if I didn't do it's a small world, and the Animal Kingdom is worth it at least once, even if all you do is Kilimanjaro Safaris, Expedition Everest, Dinosaur and the Finding Nemo show (or Lion King, if it's back open) and then leave that park behind forever.

FWIW, here's my family's "skip it" list:

Magic Kingdom:
Stitch's Great Escape (because it's awful and a waste of time)
Tomorrowland Speedway (I hate the fumes, but I'll give in if the kids beg hard enough)
Half of the Meet-and-Greets (the kids each get to choose 3 characters they want to meet per trip, that's it)

Epcot:
Ellen's Energy Adventure (at 35+ minutes, it's just too darn long -- if we ever have enough spare time, we'll do it)
The Circle of Life film (saw it on Youtube and found it to be a yawner)
Mission:Space Orange (we do the other version -- Orange makes me nauseous)
Character Meet-and-Greets (unless the kids select Character Spot to fill their M-&-G allotment)

Hollywood Studios:
The Backlot Tour (no longer worth the time it takes to do it, although I do miss experiencing Catastrophe Canyon)
Lights, Motors, Action (maybe when the kids' attention span gets longer)
Tower of Terror (just don't enjoy the sensation of falling, although the queue alone is worth the wait)
American Idol (if I want to watch people sing, I can do it in my own living room at home)

Animal Kingdom:
Flights of Wonder (lovely show, but saw it on Youtube, and it's very similar to the bird show at our local zoo)
Pangani/Maharajah trails (great the first couple of times, but now are a lot of walking for little profit)
Rafiki's Planet Watch / Affection Section, etc. (read too many bad reviews, doesn't seem unique)
Primeval Whirl (read too many bad reviews, don't like to get whiplash on vacation)
Camp Minnie-Mickey (now gone anyway) and the Character Meet-and-Greets

Ah! Lights Motors Acton! I forgot about that one. Skip that too. I think Stitch & American Idol get their own category. Never tried it & not going to!

We did AK last visit and had a bit of fun. We did the safari, The Boneyard (never again), the Dino version of Dumbo, met Pochahontas & saw The Lion King show. But we don't do park hoppers & I think we'd have more fun at the other parks.
I have not done EE, so I could be totally wrong about this choice. If the kids are both tall enough, I may have to retract my "skip" ;-)

Upvote 0

AndyS2992

My skip list

Magic Kingdom
-Stitch's Great Escape
-Country Bear Jamboree
-Tom Sawyer Island
-Peter Pan's Flight (Will only ride if the the line is 15 mins or less, terrible ride)
-Enchanted Tales with Belle
-Fairy Tale Hall
-Hall of Presidents
-M&Gs

Epcot
-Soarin (Hate it with a passion)
-Mission Space
-Journey in to Imagination
-Ellen's Energy Adventure
-Captain EO
-American Adventure
-Country films

Hollywood Studios
-Disney Junior Live
-American Idol

Animal Kingdom
N/A, So few rides you might as well ride them all to get the best value.

Will only eat quick service, cheap..ish and cheerful. Can't be bothered wasting money on the high end over priced restaurants.

But in response to your question, yes you are mad skipping It's a Small World and Animal Kingdom. In fact your Small World comment offends me a little lol

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Philo

Skipping AK altogether?!?!? That's something I'd never do! Aside from having a few of my favourite rides, the environment / theming is excellent and being there is one of my highlights of a trip.

I'm not sure if there is anything on my permanent skip list, but those I really don't care about:
-Stitch's Great Escape
-Country Bear Jamboree
-Tom Sawyer Island
-Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse
-American Idol Experience
-Tower of Terror - not my choice, my wife hates it :(
-Meets and greets (unless with kids)
-Laugh Floor

I'm anticipating TTA being added to the list though. I haven't been since the last round of changes a few years back and I loved the way it used to be, not sure if I can adapt (but hopefully it won't be as bad as I'm imagining).

Upvote 0

got2lovedisney

In the Parks
No
MK: Tomorrowland Speedway, Stitch (hate him!), Dumbo, Hall of President (makes me sleepy), Tiki Birds (ditto)
Epcot: Captain EO, Mission Space, all world showcase films especially the 360s. Ellen is on the short list if time crunched.
Studios: Idol, never been and have no interest. Usually skip ToT also.
AK: since it's usually our drive home day (short day)...skip Kali, Rafiki, treks

Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

It's funny - everyone's musts vs. skips are often so different, but I think that's the beauty of it all.

MK- I would never dream of skipping IASW, but that's me. Of the things I'm content to skip time after time... Philharmagic, Enchanted Tales with Belle, and the Magic Carpets really aren't my thing.

AK- We've skipped this altogether on shorter trips. Dinosaur and Everest are really the only things we consistently want to do- i.e. everything else is skippable.

DHS- I know it's an amazingly themed ride, but I HATE free fall rides. I have been on ToT once and that was enough. I really would like to skip Great Movie Ride most trips, but we run out of things to do :(

Epcot- Well, I saw Captain EO shortly after it debuted and that was enough. Beyond that- I wouldn't totally skip over anything at Epcot if I had the time.

As for food, there are some good quick service options out there, but for the most part, I prefer TS. I also am not a fan of DDP. I know it's a convenience thing and people like having things paid for them in advance, but considering I prefer appetizers to desserts, have given up soda, and hate feeling like I need to order the most expensive items to get any value out of it...yeah, skipping DDP.

Upvote 0

wendysue

Definitely dining plan, not worth it. At MK it's a small world, (it takes weeks to get that d*** song out of your head). Basically, anything that spins or drops quickly in any park...(used to like that stuff when I was younger). We do like BTMRR and will try the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train. Fantasmic...saw it, liked it, but don't like the long wait to get in to get a seat. Lights, Motor, Action because we have seen it 4 times, that's enough.

Upvote 0

COrunner

We definitely do not do the character meet/greet and instead pick one morning to do the character breakfast, this way you get some food and they come to you.

AK isn't a must skip but we only make it a half day at most, do EE and safari ride then usually hit the exit and head back to our hotel pool.

It's funny to see Soarin' make peoples list, Mrs. COrunner can't get enough of it, but I can't stand it!

Upvote 0

DisneyPrincess5

Our "skip it" lost includes:
Stitch
Indy Cars
Everything in Fantasyland/New Fantasyland except for dark rides
Aladdin Magic Carpets
Tree House
Astro Orbiter
Kali River Rapids
Nemo musical
Festival of the Lion King
All of Dinoland excluding Dinosaur
Ellen's Energy Advanture
Captain EO
China show
France show
Circle of Life show
American Idol
Indiana Jones
Lights Motors Action

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom