The saddest day at Disney...

BuddyThomas

Don't be sad. Be glad that you had a wonderful vacation and that you were in the position to afford such a vacation in the first place. Be glad that you've made a bunch of memories and be glad that you will probably be back again one day. If Christmas were every day, it wouldn't be special. Same applies to Disney. Plan something fun for the first week when you get back ---- a concert, a cool dinner out somewhere you've always wanted to go, a little mini trip somewhere nearby, whatever you can afford and will make you happy. Something to look forward to so you don't waste a rare Disney day being sad that it is almost over. Disney is like Frosty the Snowman. It'll be back again someday. So be happy.
:)

Sonconato

is the day I have to leave. The thing that keeps me going, is knowing that I will return someday.

The people here made me feel welcome and I feel as if I made some friends...if only for a moment. And I thank you for that, the people of WDWMagic. So I guess I should close with a question.

Have you ever lost the ice cream on your cone at Disney World?

Just like @nelsonj3 said, I too used to be very sad when I had to leave Disney and head back home to Boston. I very much understand where you're coming from. So much so, I decided to move to the Orlando area. In fact, this happened twice because we moved back to Boston so my son could grow up around my mother. We finally made it back to Florida and we're here to stay.

However, there is sadness that comes in different forms now. As most have been saying, it's when you have to leave. For us, since we now visit the Parks on a weekly basis, we often form friendships with those that work at Disney. We have formed friendships, in particular, with those that are in the entertainment part of Disney. I think now, without a doubt, the saddest day since we moved here is when Disney terminated their contract with Off Kilter. If you didn't like the music, this wouldn't mean much to you. However, for me, not only did I lose one of my favorite attractions, I also lost a bond that many didn't get to experience. It's like my friends were fired! I, as with many, will never forget their last performance…it was outstanding yet very, very emotional!:(:cry:

nelsonj3

Just like @nelsonj3 said, I too used to be very sad when I had to leave Disney and head back home to Boston. I very much understand where you're coming from. So much so, I decided to move to the Orlando area. In fact, this happened twice because we moved back to Boston so my son could grow up around my mother. We finally made it back to Florida and we're here to stay.

However, there is sadness that comes in different forms now. As most have been saying, it's when you have to leave. For us, since we now visit the Parks on a weekly basis, we often form friendships with those that work at Disney. We have formed friendships, in particular, with those that are in the entertainment part of Disney. I think now, without a doubt, the saddest day since we moved here is when Disney terminated their contract with Off Kilter. If you didn't like the music, this wouldn't mean much to you. However, for me, not only did I lose one of my favorite attractions, I also lost a bond that many didn't get to experience. It's like my friends were fired! I, as with many, will never forget their last performance…it was outstanding yet very, very emotional!:(:cry:

I was there that day too. What a crowd and what a send-off for some great performers and overall great people! It's a shame that their contract was terminated. The show that is there now is a joke.

Sonconato

I was there that day too. What a crowd and what a send-off for some great performers and overall great people! It's a shame that their contract was terminated. The show that is there now is a joke.
I have only been by the Canadian Pavilion once since their last day. We refuse to see the Lumberjacks, it simply doesn't belong at Disney World. We have very little motive to go to EPCOT anymore and when we do, we never go that direction. We usually head toward the Mexican Pavilion side to go see certain performers at the various concert series.

DisneyJayL

In the Parks
No
I really hate leaving Disney. It sucks so badly. I didn't know they served alcohol until 2011 when I went back after 15 years. It made my experience sooooo much better.

Now I'm sad again. And I can't drink right now.

SW_matt

I often feel sad when I reach the airport for the flight back, especially as we can only really get to WDW very infrequently. My last trip was in 2009 and I am 85 days away from my next however this makes me excited envisioning things that will be new when we return!

JennSmith

is the day I have to leave. The thing that keeps me going, is knowing that I will return someday.

The people here made me feel welcome and I feel as if I made some friends...if only for a moment. And I thank you for that, the people of WDWMagic. So I guess I should close with a question.

Yes! My daughter lost the ice cream from her cone at Disney World and I caught the whole sequence on film!

mousefreak

Don't be sad. Be glad that you had a wonderful vacation and that you were in the position to afford such a vacation in the first place. Be glad that you've made a bunch of memories and be glad that you will probably be back again one day. If Christmas were every day, it wouldn't be special. Same applies to Disney. Plan something fun for the first week when you get back ---- a concert, a cool dinner out somewhere you've always wanted to go, a little mini trip somewhere nearby, whatever you can afford and will make you happy. Something to look forward to so you don't waste a rare Disney day being sad that it is almost over. Disney is like Frosty the Snowman. It'll be back again someday. So be happy.

Great idea @BuddyThomas. Planning something fun to do back home after such great vacation. I feel very fortunate that I can provide my family such a wonderful vacation.

sublimesting

OH I hear that. I'm at work right now listening to Mouse World Radio and planning my trip next year. NEXT YEAR!!!! :arghh:

Disnee4Me

We went fairly regularly from Connecticut since we got married in '87 -- '87, '89, '91, '92, '94 (twice), '97, '98, '01, '02. But in '03 my DH was forced into early retirement and of course it effected us financially. We finally went back in 07, '08 and '09 and are going back this year (after 2 delays for medical reasons in '13 and '14). It saddens me to think this will be the last trip for a long while, but on the positive side, having not been in so long, I've built up Disney $$$ and Discover $$$ (to buy Disney gift cards) that right now I am about $500 away from a free trip ---- FREE Resort, FREE Tickets, FREE Dining. So sometimes things are worth the wait.

Club Cooloholic

The saddest day was in May 2011. On the last day of our trip, we left early because some in my family wanted to go to Joe's Crab Shack in Celebration.

I was game. I was a bit disappointed that we weren't staying for the fireworks like we usually do on the last night.

Then we got to Joe's.

Mediocre food, rude staff, sorry service, and music so loud it vibrated the kidneys. After numerous complaints they finally decided to appease us by slashing our ticket in half. But, lesson learned, I will never be returning to that place. I honestly felt cheated out of that last night, especially since I was trying to rally my group together for a PhotoPass pic in front of the train station flowerbed before Wishes, but they were all wanting to go eat.

Which is why I made up for it this year by booking us a dinner reservation at Fulton's Crab House at Downtown Disney. ;) On TUESDAY night, so on our last day we can get back to our regular routine.
I had one of the worst experiences ever at a Joes in Orlando.

John C. Shepherd

Saddest i was at Disney when we left after Fireworks the final night we were there, knowing we wouldn't be back for a couple years. It was my youngest daughters first trip, she held my hand and told me she didn't want to leave. I agreed with her and off we went to the car. Next day it was 8 degrees and i was missing it big time.

Planning next trip already.

ScarletBegonias

I was actually in Disney when we got a phone call that a family friend had passed away in a car accident. I was teenage and embarrassed because my mom was crying loudly in the park. Now, it makes me sad looking back.

Leaving is always sad too. Something about knowing you have to go back to real life... bummer.

nelsonj3

I totally agree. Great points! That's one of the reasons (besides money) that I don't go to the parks more often is that I don't want the "magic" to wear off. I live close enough to go every day or so, but I choose not to. The first year I lived here, I went all the time, and I started to take it for granted. I never want to take WDW for granted, so I started to moderate my trips a bit. :)

BuddyThomas

I totally agree. Great points! That's one of the reasons (besides money) that I don't go to the parks more often is that I don't want the "magic" to wear off. I live close enough to go every day or so, but I choose not to. The first year I lived here, I went all the time, and I started to take it for granted. I never want to take WDW for granted, so I started to moderate my trips a bit. :)
Another alternative (but never my choice) is just to embrace the sadness, because as we learned from Inside Out, there can be no Joy without Sadness.

nelsonj3

Another alternative (but never my choice) is just to embrace the sadness, because as we learned from Inside Out, there can be no Joy without Sadness.
I remember riding back to Indiana in the car from Orlando with my family (several years ago), and being very upset and depressed. However, usually, about halfway through the trip, I'd start to remember the good times we had at WDW, and I'd start to smile again. I think it's okay to be sad about leaving, just like you said - just so that it doesn't last too long...

mortimor

Our sadness sets in within the first couple days of arriving back home. Realizing where we were the day before vs. what we are doing now truly ends up being worlds apart. We enjoy getting home and back into our grove in our house, but disney is such a huge part of who and what we are that not being there is extremely depressing. An example of how bad the disney bug can affect you... we were there for 10 days in January for the marathon, made a return 10 day visit in June and then cancelled our August trip due to all the things we need to get wrapped up before the kids go back to school. We still have our December trip that will be 10 days prior to and through the Christmas Season. So one month spent at WDW and it still isn't enough. I squeak by each day checking my disney websites for ideas, thoughts, gripes and any other interesting information I can find to build our next commando RD every day trip! FD is all locked in and the needed reservations are set.... just a short time to make FP+ reservations and we will be "Welcomed Home" before we know it.

POLY LOVER

I remember going to the Chef Mickey breakfast and having Chip and Dale come over and our kids hugged them like they were the best thing ever. I still have that picture and it makes me happy and sad at the same time. Then the day we left pulling out of the Wilderness Lodge and seeing the sign in the rear view mirror and our kids hanging on to their souveiners looking very sad that day. Our kids are 22 and 25 now and we still go back and have a ball on a whole different level now. We keep our traditions at WDW.

the saddest day for me hasn't happened yet, it will be on sept 2nd that will be my very last day at disneyworld. i retire next year and it costs a whole lotta money from uk. so i cant wait to go(20 days) but i dont want it to end! Boo Hoo.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom