The Rose & Crown & Fireworks & Questions

The_Jobu

Original Poster
My suggestion would be to pass by the hostess stand around 3:00PM. Tell them it is a very "magical" occasion and that you really would like the outside table. They should put this in their notes. Also I believe the latest reservation is 7:30, so it would not be rude to hold the table until closing.

Great idea, I hadn't considered that. Thank you.

The umbrelllas are OK for keeping you dry in all but the most drenching downpours

Excellent to know. One less thing to worry about.

alliemoose

Howdy all,

I've read that the patio at Rose & Crown is a great place to catch the 9pm fireworks. The latest reservation I could get was 7:05pm with the fireworks at 9. My question is: Would it be A) rude and B) worthwhile to try and stretch out our dinning until 9pm (2 hours later) or am I better off just eating early and enjoying the park and then just finding a spot for fireworks later?

As others have stated, just let them know when you check in that you don't mind waiting if there is a table that becomes available on the patio. This has worked every time for us. And if you are seated pretty early, just let the waiter know you will be staying for the fireworks, they shouldn't have a problem with that. The 3 times we have been there, 2 of the times it was pouring rain. They did have covers on and put the sides of them up when the fireworks started (we didn't get wet). It was also cold two of the times and they have heaters in the patio area which were great!

Enjoy!

blueboxdoctor

We were seated outside last December. Maybe it took a little longer but it wasn't a crazy wait or anything. As for the food, it's actually not as bad as a previous poster on here said. I have never been at a loss for something to get and have enjoyed what I have gotten. And yes, the outside area is very nice to sit at, definitely one of the nicer seating areas around there (I also like the counter service seating both inside and outside for the Mexican pavilion).

They also have heaters when it gets really cold (like tall space heaters, which work well).

As a previous poster noted, they do have rain protection in place, I never experienced that, but I'd imagine it would be cool hanging out there at night with the rain coming down as you sit outside perfectly dry (though, I may be odd, I do enjoy sitting outside under an under hang when it's nice out).

Last edited:

danyoung56

If you have to ask if it is rude, you know the answer to the question.... Of course it would be

Sorry, but that's a ridiculous answer. The original poster is just trying to find out what the standard practice is at this restaurant, and has received quite a bit of excellent info. Just asking the "rude" question doesn't make you rude.

matt9112

Howdy all,

I've read that the patio at Rose & Crown is a great place to catch the 9pm fireworks. The latest reservation I could get was 7:05pm with the fireworks at 9. My question is: Would it be A) rude and B) worthwhile to try and stretch out our dinning until 9pm (2 hours later) or am I better off just eating early and enjoying the park and then just finding a spot for fireworks later?

when we ate there we where INVITED by our server to return and watch the fireworks from the patio even after we had left. (i loved her accent)

The_Jobu

Original Poster
when we ate there we where INVITED by our server to return and watch the fireworks from the patio even after we had left. (i loved her accent)

Wow, they sound like they have wonderful service there. So they saved you a seat to return after you ate? Did you mention returning or did they just ask of their own accord?

matt9112

Wow, they sound like they have wonderful service there. So they saved you a seat to return after you ate? Did you mention returning or did they just ask of their own accord?

The server brought it up granted I can't remember what time we where seated but it wasn't "directly" before illuminations. And we stood on patio to watch show not really a seat.

HouCuseChickie

I figure I might as well chime in. It's been a while since we tried this (Dec 2010), but our experience didn't go as well. We waited about 30 min to be seated even though it was dead inside, which was odd since we tried over and over to improve our ADR time with no success. It remained dead after we were seated. Our meal was decent and the food service aspect of the meal was good too, but our server didn't make good on her promise to get us out to the viewing area. Everyone had told us that they should take you out to that patio spot to watch Illuminations if you're dining inside (and ask). We asked and reminded our server several times during our meal and she promised to do it, but it never happened. It was a cold night and not many people wanted to sit outside, so we were able to get outside on our own and watch...but it was a mad rush, we ticked off our server (which I wasn't too bothered about considering the circumstances), the spot we rushed into was a bit of an obstructed view, and we missed several minutes of the beginning. I've heard that this is not the norm and that the servers usually know how to do this without issue...just dumb luck on our part.

The_Jobu

Original Poster
I figure I might as well chime in. It's been a while since we tried this (Dec 2010), but our experience didn't go as well. We waited about 30 min to be seated even though it was dead inside, which was odd since we tried over and over to improve our ADR time with no success. It remained dead after we were seated. Our meal was decent and the food service aspect of the meal was good too, but our server didn't make good on her promise to get us out to the viewing area. Everyone had told us that they should take you out to that patio spot to watch Illuminations if you're dining inside (and ask). We asked and reminded our server several times during our meal and she promised to do it, but it never happened. It was a cold night and not many people wanted to sit outside, so we were able to get outside on our own and watch...but it was a mad rush, we ticked off our server (which I wasn't too bothered about considering the circumstances), the spot we rushed into was a bit of an obstructed view, and we missed several minutes of the beginning. I've heard that this is not the norm and that the servers usually know how to do this without issue...just dumb luck on our part.

Sorry you had a bad go of things, sounds like maybe an off night for the staff. Coincidentally I was just perusing the "need suggestions for EPCOT dining" thread, and several people there stated the servers are well trained to guide indoor-seaters outdoors for the fireworks. I hope to try the tips provided in this thread and offer to wait longer to be seated outdoors.

HouCuseChickie

Keep in mind that cast members are rotated in quite frequently. It could have been that you had a newbie, who was a little freaked out by being so far from home. Just a thought . . .

That's entirely possible, although I seem to recall this girl saying that she was getting to the end of her time working there. Still, you bring up a good point since a new server may not be as adept at working the whole Illuminations viewing process for indoor diners.

The_Jobu

Original Poster
Forgot to update since I've returned. In case anyone is wondering, sticking around for the fireworks was no problem at all, in fact the server asked us if we'd be sticking around for them before we even mentioned it. It sounds like 7:30 was an optimal time.

Big thanks to everyone who gave helpful advice, it was one of the highlights of the trip for me.

Jess G

Forgot to update since I've returned. In case anyone is wondering, sticking around for the fireworks was no problem at all, in fact the server asked us if we'd be sticking around for them before we even mentioned it. It sounds like 7:30 was an optimal time.

Big thanks to everyone who gave helpful advice, it was one of the highlights of the trip for me.
nice! I have a 7:50 reserved for my next trip super excited :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom