The Problem with Modern Optics

thomas998

Interesting read...but I cringed at the photos supposedly showing the faults of newer lenses... Their point isn't going to be made by simply showing me bad photos shot with a new lens unless they can shoot the same scene with the supposed good old lens to show me the difference... Otherwise the cynic in me says they picked a good photo from an old lens and bad one from a new lens...Not rocket science if you have an agenda.

KeithVH

Maybe, I get the point but I'm not sure the hypothesis matches the data presented. Anecdotally? I'm more on board. I have a early 70's Canon FD 50/1.4 SSC. It's as good, if not better, than most of my L glass. Subjective? Yes, but visually the results don't lie.

Then again, remember a few years ago when there was this big stink about lenses with thorium or lanthanum were supposed to be the greatest thing around? I'd probably have to agree someone has an axe to grind.

NowInc

I shoot a mix of both new and old glass, and its really all dependent on the particular model. For example, I have an old model sigma 24-70 that flares HORRIBLY compared to newer models...and although it can be used artistically...it is completely unreliable for day to day use.

On the other hand, my Nikon 50mm is the newer model and the output I get from it seems a bit less crisp than that of the (much) older model that I've borrowed from the same brand.

PhotoDave219

I shoot a mix of both new and old glass, and its really all dependent on the particular model. For example, I have an old model sigma 24-70 that flares HORRIBLY compared to newer models...and although it can be used artistically...it is completely unreliable for day to day use.

On the other hand, my Nikon 50mm is the newer model and the output I get from it seems a bit less crisp than that of the (much) older model that I've borrowed from the same brand.

Yeah, hold that 24-70 for the days you wanna rock the flare.

I have some old MF nikon lenses (24, 85) that i use for remote stuff. Great glass.

thomas998

How would you like to be able use AF with some of that great Nikon Ai glass?

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/worlds-first-time-autofocus-test-with-nikon-ai-lenses/

That capability has existed for decades... the old Nikon TC-16A would allow you to make a manual focus lens auto focus on the early Nikon cameras of the day... my guess is the device Sonyalpharumors is showing is based on the same technology which worked by putting additional glass between the lens and the camera body degrading the optics and losing almost a full stop in the process.

fractal

Original Poster
That capability has existed for decades... the old Nikon TC-16A would allow you to make a manual focus lens auto focus on the early Nikon cameras of the day... my guess is the device Sonyalpharumors is showing is based on the same technology which worked by putting additional glass between the lens and the camera body degrading the optics and losing almost a full stop in the process.
No loss of IQ or light. The adaptor utilizes the on sensor PD AF on the A7rii, A7ii, and the A6000.

thomas998

No loss of IQ or light. The adaptor utilizes the on sensor PD AF on the A7rii, A7ii, and the A6000.
So you are saying they aren't using any lenses on the tail end of the manual focus lens? I'm not sure I understand how they could focus the lens then without some additional lenses on the back side... I understand the PD AF is used to determine what is in focus or not but it wont make anything focus so unless they have some way of moving the focus ring on the manual focus lens I see no way to get an out of focus lens to focus without lenses.

fractal

Original Poster
So you are saying they aren't using any lenses on the tail end of the manual focus lens? I'm not sure I understand how they could focus the lens then without some additional lenses on the back side... I understand the PD AF is used to determine what is in focus or not but it wont make anything focus so unless they have some way of moving the focus ring on the manual focus lens I see no way to get an out of focus lens to focus without lenses.

No additional glass. Moves the lens back and forth until AF confirmed by FD points. This is only currently available in M to Emount. The Nikon lens used a dummy Nikon Ai to M adaptor attached to the new M to E-mount adaptor with AF.

thomas998

No additional glass. Moves the lens back and forth until AF confirmed by FD points. This is only currently available in M to Emount. The Nikon lens used a dummy Nikon Ai to M adaptor attached to the new M to E-mount adaptor with AF.
Then I would really like to see one of these up close... I suspect if has no glass and only moves the lens forward and backward that it would only be able to focus certain lens as some of them would probably require a significant distance shift.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom