The pricing for Disneyland Resorts!!!

slappy magoo

My thoughts exactly. You usually are required to be wearing a $900,000 gown (or tux) that you purchased with, you know, your mad money, while clutching your pedigree yap dog in your Prada purse and balancing a top shelf martini in your perfectly manicured other hand before you make a comment like that out of plumped plastic lips.
;)
One thing about the deluxe resorts that helps reinforce the notion of there being "a better crowd" there is mostly personal space. Even the biggest Deluxe resorts or DVC like Saratoga, there is still less of a feeling that you're right on top of each other. Fewer tour groups or class trips with barely chaperoned youths. More things to do besides pools arcade and food court. And at least less of an impression of transportation problems (in part because you usually have at least some other options besides a bus to get to at least one of the parks - be it boat or monorail or a short walk). I do think the smaller rooms and more crowded buses and food courts and pools make it a less relaxing time for many people. But as you wrote, wherever you stay you're bound to find some pantloads.

ToTBellHop

"A better crowd?"
Ick.
I'm free to my opinion. I'm not the only one who prefers the crowd at a 4-star hotel to a 3. Is that pretentious? Sure. But we are on boards dedicated to a luxury theme park resort. For the record, I didn't generalize. I said there was a higher proportion of low brow folks. I don't think it is a profound statement to suggest that if there are low brow people at WDW, and there are, and they would like to stay on site, they are more likely to choose values over mods and deluxes. For example, I see far more children not being parented at Pop than I see at Wilderness Lodge. It's worth the money, to me, to not have to deal with that. And over-run food courts. And bus stops that are zoos. My opinion. Which I am allowed to have. Clearly plenty of people are happy with the values. Enjoy.

slappy magoo

I'm free to my opinion. I'm not the only one who prefers the crowd at a 4-star hotel to a 3. Is that pretentious? Sure. But we are on boards dedicated to a luxury theme park resort. For the record, I didn't generalize. I said there was a higher proportion of low brow folks. I don't think it is a profound statement to suggest that if there are low brow people at WDW, and there are, and they would like to stay on site, they are more likely to choose values over mods and deluxes. For example, I see far more children not being parented at Pop than I see at Wilderness Lodge. It's worth the money, to me, to not have to deal with that. And over-run food courts. And bus stops that are zoos. My opinion. Which I am allowed to have. Clearly plenty of people are happy with the values. Enjoy.
Uh...yeah...that...that makes everything better. ..

BuddyThomas

You pretty much just used different words to say exactly the same thing you said in your original post. It wasn't cool the first time to minimalize people out of your "class" and it isn't now. As Kander and Ebb say in the musical, Chicago, about another use of the word: "Whatever happened to class?"

eeyoremum

Wow? Personally it is my experience when you come across pretentious, uppity attitudes the less "wealthy" and more "showy" they are. Stay at your pretentious resort and my very well behaved family will stay with the low brow and likely have WAY more fun meeting families from around the world like the OP and going to Disney way more often because I am not paying an outrageous amount of money for essentially a bed to lay my head.

OP, have fun on your vacation.

disney4life2008

WOW this is the most idiotic thing I have read this week. First of all - what is "low brow" - are you referring to "low income, low SES, impoverished" people? I "only" stay at values on property so I take offense to that argument as you are putting me in a category that is disrespectful to state for anyone. For anyone that stays at any WDW resort they clearly have the funds to do so and as I have mentioned in other posts - that puts them in a different income bracket than most "nationwide". However, to make a comparison from resort to resort is an extreme generalization. I, for example, could afford to stay at GF every trip if I wanted. However, I am perfectly fine at Sports (as for that matter I am perfectly fine at super 8 on international drive). And your eyes must pick out what you want to see - I have been to GF and other expensive resorts plenty of times and see the most arrogant, spoiled brats I have ever seen of all age groups. But I have also seen that at the values (as well as nearly every other hotel or vacation spot I have traveled to). As for the statement "luxury theme park resort" - yes, to an extent. While WDW is expensive it is attainable by a good cut of the American population at even the lowest income bracket. And the transportation statement is laughable at best - every time I visit GF or Poly I end up waiting forever for a bus (excluding monorail) then it makes multiple stops. So i am confused about the zoo argument? And yes, I am very happy with the values and will continue to stay there.

zoenaveau

Original Poster
I would definitely want to avoid renting a car :/ just because we're both under the age of 25 so I think the rates for car rental are SUPER expensive....oh and the little fact that you guys drive on the other side of the road! I would probably crash and die hahaha

Is there any difference between Swan and Dolphin?

ToTBellHop

Y'all make me laugh. Enjoy your resort where they were forced to erect chained corrals to control people at the bus stop and put up "Don't climb on this" on just about everything over 1 foot in height. Clearly Disney sees what I see.

Art of Animation:
Little-Mermaid-Art-of-Animation-040.jpg
"No climbing on the dinglehopper, please."

Wilderness Lodge:

Thank goodness people at Wilderness Lodge know not to climb on the rocks or dive in the river. Do I really need to define low brow for you or has Disney done it for me?

Last edited:

slappy magoo

Y'all make me laugh. Enjoy your resort where they were forced to erect chained corrals to control people at the bus stop and put up "Don't climb on this" on just about everything over 1 foot in height. Clearly Disney sees what I see.

Art of Animation:
Little-Mermaid-Art-of-Animation-040.jpg
"No climbing on the dinglehopper, please."

Wilderness Lodge:

Thank goodness people at Wilderness Lodge know not to climb on the rocks or dive in the river. Do I really need to define low brow for you or has Disney done it for me?

Really? That's your evidence? That signs may have been erected on bright colorful playful looking structures in an incredibly large spread-out campus to not climb on them, but those same signs are not on craggly rocks in well-traveled and observed areas, bases on a single wide shot?

Yes, Wilderness Lodge, the place where no warning signs ever have to be erected to tell the smart wealthy and dare-we-say handsome guests to not be idiots...

st_firerock_01.jpg

Let me guess, that's for the "low-brow" visitors who only came to WL for lunch and some low-brow pool-hopping. Their "betters" know better. Right?

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

There's also this which seems odd as Disney CMs know better and low-brow people can't afford boat rentals...
nowake.jpg
This is growing tiring for me. You don't have to use idle speed everywhere in the Seven Seas Lagoon/Bay Lake...

As for the Firerock Geyser sign, that's thanks to attorneys preempting stupidity. Disney did not think folks at AoA would behave like wild animals in the way that they have. Thus, when I visited AoA in 2012, there weren't no climbing signs. Now there are. Believe what you want to believe. I don't have the energy to video tape behavior at AoA vs. WL, but I know what I see. A simple search of AoA on google shows children and adults climbing on objects and rocks right next to signs that tell them not to do that. I'd love to see the documentation of people peeing on Firerock Geyser. Unless that doesn't actually happen.

slappy magoo

This is growing tiring for me. You don't have to use idle speed everywhere in the Seven Seas Lagoon/Bay Lake...

As for the Firerock Geyser sign, that's thanks to attorneys preempting stupidity. Disney did not think folks at AoA would behave like wild animals in the way that they have. Thus, when I visited AoA in 2012, there weren't no climbing signs. Now there are. Believe what you want to believe. I don't have the energy to video tape behavior at AoA vs. WL, but I know what I see. A simple search of AoA on google shows children and adults climbing on objects and rocks right next to signs that tell them not to do that. I'd love to see the documentation of people peeing on Firerock Geyser. Unless that doesn't actually happen.

"there weren't no..."?

A DOUBLE NEGATIVE?!?!?!

Fetch me my fainting chaise, you're letting your low-brow-ness shine through. Commoner.

ToTBellHop

"there weren't no..."?

A DOUBLE NEGATIVE?!?!?!

Fetch me my fainting chaise, you're letting your low-brow-ness shine through. Commoner.
I left out the quotes. It wasn't a double negative so much as:

There weren't "No Climbing" signs. Thank goodness I can still wear my khaki shorts and polo shirt with popped collar with pride. What would you expect from someone who lives in Connecticut and graduated from Yale?

Thread out! See you at the mods and deluxes (swimming in a pool you didn't pay for? Sorry, had to).

slappy magoo

I left out the quotes. It wasn't a double negative so much as:

There weren't "No Climbing" signs. Thank goodness I can still wear my khaki shorts and polo shirt with popped collar with pride. What would you expect from someone who lives in Connecticut and graduated from Yale?

Thread out! See you at the mods and deluxes (swimming in a pool you didn't pay for? Sorry, had to).
So let me get this straight - the signs at they geyser were put up preemptively by paranoid lawyers even though it totally wasn't necessary. But the shiny colorful fun looking things at climbing level at the Values, the lawyers didn't think to put "no climbing" warning signs up on them at first even though they were totally necessary.

OK. Got it. Your logic is sound. In Bizarro World.

ToTBellHop

So let me get this straight - the signs at they geyser were put up preemptively by paranoid lawyers even though it totally wasn't necessary. But the shiny colorful fun looking things at climbing level at the Values, the lawyers didn't think to put "no climbing" warning signs up on them at first even though they were totally necessary.

OK. Got it. Your logic is sound. In Bizarro World.
Well, they didn't put the signs out at AoA at first, so...

And they shouldn't be necessary. Do you climb on other people's cars? Would your parents have let you do that?

slappy magoo

Well, they didn't put the signs out at AoA at first, so...

And they shouldn't be necessary. Do you climb on other people's cars? Would your parents have let you do that?
Spoiler- they're not real cars. They look like giant toys. Sometimes people think they are toys. So they think they can play on them. Hence, signs saying "please don't climb on them"
Also spoiler - you don't really know that the sign by the geyser was preemptive or proactive. It could very well be that someone thought it'd be funny to climb over the fence and peer in the hole of the geyser for a wacky photo. It just doesn't fit your narrative of low-brow.

And I'll bet at both resorts, on any given day, you'll find people who don't see or ignore the signs and do what they're not supposed to do. That's not about a station in life, it's not about taking what you want or feeling entitled. It's about being a jackass.

So why not let go of this whole low-brow thing? Unless "high brow" is what you call that stuff getting in Paris Hilton's eye during that night-vision video? Because that lady's got class all over her, so much class she just might need to shower some of it off.

MarieTA

To get back to OP's question, the Swan is smaller and tends to have more adults and Dolphin is much larger, more family oriented, and is the site of big conventions. I've stayed at Dolphin twice and enjoyed it. Both resorts share transportation.

BuddyThomas

Spoiler- they're not real cars. They look like giant toys. Sometimes people think they are toys. So they think they can play on them. Hence, signs saying "please don't climb on them"
Also spoiler - you don't really know that the sign by the geyser was preemptive or proactive. It could very well be that someone thought it'd be funny to climb over the fence and peer in the hole of the geyser for a wacky photo. It just doesn't fit your narrative of low-brow.

And I'll bet at both resorts, on any given day, you'll find people who don't see or ignore the signs and do what they're not supposed to do. That's not about a station in life, it's not about taking what you want or feeling entitled. It's about being a jackass.

So why not let go of this whole low-brow thing? Unless "high brow" is what you call that stuff getting in Paris Hilton's eye during that night-vision video? Because that lady's got class all over her, so much class she just might need to shower some of it off.
All great points but we might as well let it go. Ain't none of us low brow trash ever gonna win an argument about class with America's most accomplished and classy Yale graduate.

Now who wants to get together tonight to go jump on things, tip some cows, and huff some paint?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom