The popularity of Toy Story Mania, anyone explain it?

Magenta Panther

The popularity of the ride is mainly due to public affection for the Toy Story films. That's the reason I stood in line for it anyway. But I haven't ridden it since. Guess I don't like Toy Story all that much...or maybe the ride is just that lame. A first-person shooter with screens. Big deal. :p

ItlngrlBella

When we were last there in 2013, we went with another family (friends) and they had it on their must-do list. The line was 90 minutes and it was hot (we were queued outside). Our kids hit "the wall."

You know, @the wall" you hit when you are overcome with humidity, heat, hunger and humanity. We ducked out of line and they thought we were crazy.

The Commissary was the best "attraction!" It had no line, air conditioning, water and sustinence! It was an oasis and was welcomed by my family.

We really felt like we didn't miss anything in light of things. Maybe we will FP it next time.

Cmdr_Crimson

The attraction is great...Maybe they should think of using it For Imagination for an interactive experience for the pavillion with Figment..I mean Habit Heroes even uses the TSM Blasters at Innoventions...
DSCN5075.jpg

rsoxguy

I enjoy it, but not without a Fastpass. I agree with others here that the popularity has to do with a lack of attractions at this park.

On a side note, I'll never forget the first time that I experienced this attraction. I had read on this forum that they were doing sporadic openings when this was first being finished, and I was there with my daughter on a one day trip. I kept taking her back to that section and at one point they opened. We went in and out three times with little to no line. Thanks WDWMAGIC.

PhotoDave219

Went on this for the first ever time on our last visit, despite coming to Disney every year. The reason we've not ridden it before was simply because the queues were always so big. Until last year with the advent of FP+ allowing us to book online in advance, even getting FP's didn't help because even after opening the times were for much later in the day.

Now I'm not bad mouthing the attraction here, which was quite fun (much more so for my wife) and is subjective when it comes to enjoyment. However I'm really surprised by it's popularity and the difficulty in riding it without a good deal of effort. Is it classed as a real gem of an attraction by so many people due to it being so fun, or is the movie Toy Story's popularity the thing that makes everybody want to try it?

Its the only actual ride geared towards kids in the park.

Plus a low OHRC.

Dj Corona

Rode it with my family 3 years ago, just to see what all the hype was about, plus we needed something to kill time an hour plus before the Osbourne Lights show started....it was kind of a neat expierience, but we wouldn't go out of our away to do again with that kind of wait. I know there's a lot of people that question why there's two different "Toy Story" themed shooting gallery rides in two different parks, but I think it works, it would be better if Buzz Lightyear got some TLC maintenance, though.

MaxsDad

I took my grandsons (2 years old) last year for a week. The day we went to DHS it was down. The only other moving rides they could get on were Great Movie Ride and Backlot. If you compare the emotional connection of Toy Story to more or less random old movies, especially to children, you will see that there is really almost no comparison.

Think about that instrumental version of You've Got a Friend in Me playing in the background. Picture the now as large as you Toy Sets. People dig that. It speaks to them.

During the ride itself, I think thew two things that make it fun are:
1. Our competitive nature, especially within our families. I do not know if this is just a cultural thing or not. But we like to play, and we play to win.
2. Character interaction. Now you may say, but wait it is just video screens. And I may say, yes, it is video screens, of video characters! What makes this different? They break the "4th wall" and address us directly in the game. You are not playing with The Toys, you ARE one of them.

Matt_Black

2. Character interaction. Now you may say, but wait it is just video screens. And I may say, yes, it is video screens, of video characters! What makes this different? They break the "4th wall" and address us directly in the game. You are not playing with The Toys, you ARE one of them.

Yeah, it's fun if you miss and hit one of the characters.

DisneyJunkie

It's an ok attraction.....not one particularly exciting or thrilling. So it would have to be the love of kids for anything Toy Story that keeps it so popular. That, plus there's more mobility with the guns and the ride vehicle than there is on Buzz Lightyear.

Raineman

Went on this for the first ever time on our last visit, despite coming to Disney every year. The reason we've not ridden it before was simply because the queues were always so big. Until last year with the advent of FP+ allowing us to book online in advance, even getting FP's didn't help because even after opening the times were for much later in the day.

Now I'm not bad mouthing the attraction here, which was quite fun (much more so for my wife) and is subjective when it comes to enjoyment. However I'm really surprised by it's popularity and the difficulty in riding it without a good deal of effort. Is it classed as a real gem of an attraction by so many people due to it being so fun, or is the movie Toy Story's popularity the thing that makes everybody want to try it?

I don't get the hype surrounding this attraction-I've never experienced it (I didn't want to wait in the hellaciously long lines, and I didn't want to burn a FP+ on it), but I've seen the POV videos online, and when you compare it to Space Ranger Spin at MK, which I did ride, and had a blast on, it doesn't seem to live up to the hype. I loved the fact that in BLSRS, you are always moving, and have physical targets to shoot at. Just my opinion-maybe if/when I do ride TSMM, I'll find out what all the fuss is about.

LauraRose

I didn't get to ride it on my previous trip but I don't remember being too amazed by it when I have rode it. I'm generally not good at them type of attractions. such as buzz lightyear or men in black in universal (shoot me). So I tend to avoid them anyway as I just end up cranky :oops:

Even if I was good though I wouldn't wait that long, everyone enjoys different things though. I think it's the theming for most people.

Goofyernmost

I don't get the hype surrounding this attraction-I've never experienced it (I didn't want to wait in the hellaciously long lines, and I didn't want to burn a FP+ on it), but I've seen the POV videos online, and when you compare it to Space Ranger Spin at MK, which I did ride, and had a blast on, it doesn't seem to live up to the hype. I loved the fact that in BLSRS, you are always moving, and have physical targets to shoot at. Just my opinion-maybe if/when I do ride TSMM, I'll find out what all the fuss is about.
What else is there in DHS to burn a FP on. ToT or RnRC and that's it. You get three. The rest are totally unnecessary.

My family is very competitive and likes to ride Toy Story multiple times. The key is to ride while Fantasmic is underway. We can often ride 4x in an hour using this strategy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom