The Park Formerly Known as Disney's Hollywood Studios? Yep ...

Figaro928

But they have *two*, the Earful Tower and the Chinese Theater - there was never any need for a third icon, and both the original ones represent the park far better than a magical hat.
Two extremely weak icons. Nowhere near the level of the Castle, SSE or the Tree Of Life. One is a replication of an already existing movie theatre and in no way representative of an original Disney structure. The second is barely visible and cliché of a "studio" - something that they are finally completely backing away from.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Why do they *need* an icon? I don't see Islands of Adventure, Universal Studios or Sea World having icons, and they do OK.
Um...

IoA has the lighthouse, Uni has the giant Universal Ball and the front gate, and Sea World has a living icon, a Killer Whale.

They all use the icon and "weenie" concepts in their advertising.

BrerJon

Because this is Disney and not Islands of Adventure, Universal Studios or Sea World. All Disney parks have traditionally had a park icon.

They've always had a weenie to draw you into the park for show reasons (the big reveal), and the Theater, Tree, Spaceship and Castle serve that purpose, with clear imagineering defined storylines for the guest experience for each, but I don't think there's ever been a conscious decision to build anything as an 'icon', which is really only a concept that affects merchandise options.

BrerJon

Um...

IoA has the lighthouse, Uni has the giant Universal Ball and the front gate, and Sea World has a living icon, a Killer Whale.

They all use the icon and "weenie" concepts in their advertising.

Fair enough on the globe (I always forget about that as I've been spoiled by DisneySea which has a globe just as good, as well as a giant volcano for its 'icon'), I think calling the Lighthouse or Shamu icons is a stretch though, in my view.

BrerJon

I've seen the term "weenie" being thrown around quite a bit - what does it mean and what's its origin. Completely unfamiliar with the term

Walt came up with the term to describe the castle at Disneyland - presumably it refers to holding out a sausage for a dog to draw its attention, but Californians can clarify this.

The original 'story' of Main Street U.S.A at Disneyland was you enter through the lobby of the theater, past the coming attractions posters, then the curtain goes up as you emerge in a busy, bustling street of yesteryear. You're drawn down the street by - what's that - a castle? Out of place, yet fitting in perfectly, it's the thing that draws the eye and encourages guests further into the park.

Every subsequent park has been built with this in mind. Spaceship Earth at Epcot, the Chinese Theater at MGM, Tree of Life at DAK, the castles at Hong Kong, Tokyo and Paris, and the volcano at DisneySea. The only park without a clear weenie is Disney Studios Paris, although the Hollywood hills backdrop sort of serves the same purpose.

Last edited:

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Fair enough on the globe (I always forget about that as I've been spoiled by DisneySea which has a globe just as good, as well as a giant volcano for its 'icon'), I think calling the Lighthouse or Shamu icons is a stretch though, in my view.
IoA_Tower.jpg

The lighthouse is clearly the icon for IoA. It's used in marketing materials, and the like, as well.

Hard to say it's not.

And yeah, Shamu isn't a Weenie, but it is the park icon for Sea World.

As I said, they all use iconography.

Figaro928

Walt came up with the term to describe the castle at Disneyland - presumably it refers to holding out a sausage for a dog to draw its attention, but Californians can clarify this.

The original 'story' of Main Street U.S.A at Disneyland was you enter through the lobby of the theater, past the coming attractions posters, then the curtain goes up as you emerge in a busy, bustling street of yesteryear. You're drawn down the street by - what's that - a castle? Out of place, yet fitting in perfectly, it's the thing that draws the eye and encourages guests further into the park.

Every subsequent park has been built with this in mind. Spaceship Earth at Epcot, the Chinese Theater at MGM, Tree of Life at DAK, the castles at Hong Kong, Tokyo and Paris, and the volcano at DisneySea. The only park without a clear weenie is Disney Studios Paris, although the Hollywood hills backdrop sort of serves the same purpose.
Thank you for the clarification!!!

lazyboy97o

Yes. I do. As a business like Disney they will want to keep their brand in the parks all their own. It would look ridiculous to use something from a different franchise as the icon for one of its parks. I get where you are going with the "appeal to the masses", but from a business standpoint that doesn't make much sense. They could easily bring back the tower by moving it (it is non-function) to the front and to the side of the theater. OR they could build a totally new icon that will represent the new look, feel, and atmosphere of the new theme for the park. My money is on the latter.
What franchise is the Chinese Theater part of? Why is its ties to Disney less than that of the Carthay Circle Theater?

G00fyDad

What franchise is the Chinese Theater part of? Why is its ties to Disney less than that of the Carthay Circle Theater?

You're not understanding what I am trying to say. The Chinese theater is not a Disney brand. In no way did I say it was less than any other brand.

Figaro928

Food for thought... going back to the drawing board, if the imagineers were going for "the Hollywood that never was" why did they choose the replicate an already existing theater. Why not build an entirely new art deco old timey Hollywood theater and then make it a Disney original. Get me an imagineer circa 1985!!!!!

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Food for thought... going back to the drawing board, if the imagineers were going for "the Hollywood that never was" why did they choose the replicate an already existing theater. Why not build an entirely new art deco old timey Hollywood theater and then make it a Disney original. Get me an imagineer circa 1985!!!!!
Because it had to open before the other Studio park down the street. Eisner insisted! (Grin)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom