The Park Formerly Known as Disney's Hollywood Studios? Yep ...

JustInTime

Any new updates to this thread? New park name? The hat going? Anybody car to give a summary? 74's threads are too long winded for me. Get to the point.

PeterAlt

The real problem is that everyone one of us had a different level of attention in school when they covered grammar. Disney employees didn't escape that little problem. The "new" name of the the park, I believe, was intended to designate it as a grouping of different studios, not just Disney. It would have been harder to have a park named... "Disney Presents Hollywood Studio's", but it would have said it better. Heck even if they had left off the ('s) from Disney's it would have implied that more.

I've been racking my brain trying to think of something that doesn't connect to some studio other then the movies and I am coming up with nothing. It has covered, Disney Studio, Pixar Studio, Muppet Studio, Animation Studio, Assorted Movie Studios, Music Studio's and Television Studio's. It has done that from the very beginning, especially with the inclusion of TV, with SuperStar Television and the TV house facade (Golden Girls,etc).

What it boils down to is that some people have made their own interpretations of what should be represented in the park without ever trying to understand what it was intended to be. To me, in one form or the other, it has probably stayed more true to it's original theme then any of the other parks have. "The Hollywood that never was, and always will be".
I feel like the kid in school who rises his hand when the teacher asks the class a question. "Oh! I know this!"

The concept for DCA came about when Eisner had his top lieutenants stay at his Colorado home on retreat one weekend for a brainstorming session for the theme of the park. It was decided on California because the idea was they could show off California instead of having tourists travel the whole state. At the time it seemed like a good idea and the consciences went with it.

EPCOTCenterLover

The original concept was a Goofy outdoor/dark ride celebrating car culture in CA. Lasseter saw the opportunity to make it Cars Land instead and expand the concept while exclusively celebrating his favorite IP. He pushed for Cars Land, and it's what we got. Lasseter doesn't give a flying **** that the movie, if it was in a real state, would have taken place in AZ/UT/NM. He wanted to build Radiator Springs, so he spent all his political capital on getting that done.

The CA theme isn't taken seriously by Disney and hasn't been for years. It's too limiting (WHO'S FAULT IS THAT), so they'll continue to ignore it as the park expands.
And with JL doing what he did, DCA became a must see park. I see a distant Ca connection and am not bothered at all by Cars Land being there. It's a damn cool area, too! ;)

GiveMeTheMusic

And with JL doing what he did, DCA became a must see park. I see a distant Ca connection and am not bothered at all by Cars Land being there. It's a **** cool area, too! ;)

It doesn't bother me, but if we're intellectually honest, Radiator Springs isn't in CA, so technically it's not a perfect fit for DCA - but it's definitely close enough in my book.

Unlike DHS, DCA does have some thematic limitations and Disney hasn't been consistent with applying them. DHS though is basically a blank slate, which they should liberally take advantage of instead of shoehorning Elsa into World Showcase (for example).

Goofyernmost

Th locations were called 'studios' because they had more than one studio stage. Like Warner Bros Studios, Universal Studios, MGM Studios, etc. Not because they were a mashup.
I know that flynn, but apparently not everybody does or did. If they did there wouldn't have been such a constant discussion of how the park wasn't staying with the theme. It did and it still does, but, it is far different from what it was when it opened. The basic name change that happened a few years ago really was nothing more then acknowledging that MGM was no longer a partner in the venture. Once the working studio ended its short run, it was then just what you stated above.

Goofyernmost

I feel like the kid in school who rises his hand when the teacher asks the class a question. "Oh! I know this!"

The concept for DCA came about when Eisner had his top lieutenants stay at his Colorado home on retreat one weekend for a brainstorming session for the theme of the park. It was decided on California because the idea was they could show off California instead of having tourists travel the whole state. At the time it seemed like a good idea and the consciences went with it.
Not sure what that has to do with DHS!?!?

Disneyhead'71

So basically your definition is that only things that can only be associated with California belong in DCA? What is that, the Golden Gate Bridge and guys that walk around saying dude all day? :cool:

Stereotypes aside California is a very diverse state that has just about anything you would want to find anywhere in the country. California is a transient state. Many of its inhabitants come from other parts of the country or the world and bring their culture with them. Part of the appeal for the state being home to movies is how it can replicate any part of the world with its diverse landscape. If America has it, chances are California has it represented in some fashion.

Ornament Valley is a reference but unless they called it Monument Valley, it remains an homage that could exist anywhere. To those of us that live here Cars land is very indicative of California culture.
Except the fact that Lightening, while in Radiator Springs, says about a million times that he needs to get out of there and get to California.

FigmentJedi

The original concept was a Goofy outdoor/dark ride celebrating car culture in CA. Lasseter saw the opportunity to make it Cars Land instead and expand the concept while exclusively celebrating his favorite IP. He pushed for Cars Land, and it's what we got. Lasseter doesn't give a flying **** that the movie, if it was in a real state, would have taken place in AZ/UT/NM. He wanted to build Radiator Springs, so he spent all his political capital on getting that done.
It is indeed officially set in Arizona, with the highway maps corresponding to a section of 66 in the state.

That said, there's still a car culture connection as well as the Route 66 angle.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The car culture ties Cars the Movie to California... that's all it needs. The rest is 'close enough' because of the shared southwest.

If you want to argue over physical 'musts' - Fantasyland is a disaster. The California vibe doesn't have to be all about physical presence.. but can be shared with what makes California...

Animaniac93-98

People keep ignoring the most egregious attraction in DCA -- the Monsters, Inc ride. What does that have to do with California?

It's in the Hollywood section, where more or less anything's fine (such is the weak theme of "Hollywood"). Aladdin may have even less to do with the state, but it's there none the less.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom