Pre-Trip The OMG are you serious? Pre- Trip Report

2wnwz1d.jpg
[/IMG] Hello to all of my WDW magic friends.

Some of you might remember me from when I attempted to write my first ever trip report back in February. Well a combination of adulting (ugh) and the fact that it was already 6 months past my trip and I had taken zero notes made that trip report become a failure.

Please don't be mad at me. I was VERY disappointed in myself for not finishing but this time I will be prepared and it will all begin with this Pre- Trip Report

In case I am new to many of you my name is Alisa. Born and raised in NYC and now living in New Hampshire with my prince and better half. I am a certified Walt Disney Addict, I have been traveling to the world every year since I was 2. Im the kind of addict who cries at a mention of Spectromagic and when driving under that big beautiful welcome sign. My prince on the other hand went on his first trip last year with my whole family (Thanks Dad). Below is a picture of all of us last August.
2wnwz1d.jpg
[/IMG]
2wnwz1d.jpg

That is me and my prince charming on the left, the best boyfriend a girl could ever ask for.

We both work and adult pretty hard sometimes. My prince works on the road so sometimes he is gone for weeks or month at a time. It's really hard spending time apart so when we are together we try to make every second count. Dinners, vacations, road trips you name it. We like to do stuff and make memories together whenever possible.

So fast forward to last week and he was going to be home for a few weeks so we head down to Mexico for an all inclusive much needed vacation. We were having an absolute blast. Swimming, bike rides, ziplining, mayan ruins the works. The photos below pretty much sum up the epic adventure that was unfolding. I know they are non Disney but thought you guys would enjoy. Thats us diving into a prisine hidden cenote. The clearest water I have ever seen in my life.

2ivk3tk.jpg

k1fjmb.jpg

Anyway the last night rolls around and we're relaxing in the room and my prince hands me a card and says "I don't know how this got into my bag". I open it and there is my favorite Mouse staring back at me. I'm starting to freak out a little bit and when I open it it says i know your birthday is still a ways away but its time for us to start planning our Disney adventure together. I immediately start crying so hard. Not only had he already booked the trip but that also meant that he was going to be home for my birthday (which isn't always the case). I still can't believe he had already planned the whole thing by himself, I thought I was going to have to drag him back to Disney by his beard lol. We will be in the world October 25th - October 30th and are staying at the Coronado Springs. My birthday is October 26th. He said him and my parents went back and forth a lot on whether or not to tell me now or as I was getting on the plane on the 25th but everyone decided I would want to make dining reservations and all that fun stuff and they were right.

So there you have it the extremely long winded version of how this trip came to be. :happy: I will be back in a bit with all the specifics.

dclfan

Original Poster
That is awesome!! Only about a 150 days to go! (I'm not creeping...my bday is the 20th and I already have a countdown going lol).

haha I love the countdown. I have one too, everyone should have a birthday countdown.

Are you going to be in Disney as well?

dclfan

Original Poster
Ok guys I'm back.

Like I said before we are going to be in Disney World from October 25th- October 30th. Staying at the Coronado Springs with all the works park hoppers, dining plan, memory maker. My lovely prince even said he wanted to take me to Mickey's not so scary Halloween party. Excuse me for a second while I pick my mouth up off the floor. You not only know what Mickeys Not So Scary Halloween Party is but we're also going......AHHH the excitement.

Not only that but its FOOD AND WINE festival. I have been waiting to go back to food and wine since I was old enough to love wine and I also love to eat so this is too much for me to take. I am beyond excited and plan on spending extra time in Epcot to partake.

Anyway I have yet to come up with a solid day time itinerary but I have "mostly" figured out our nigh time plans. THIS IS WHERE I NEED YOUR HELP.

My dining plans

October 25th - Epcot - San Angel Inn ( an absolute must do considering I found out about the trip in Mexico and I also adore guacamole and all things tacos) Also Epcot is having extra magic hours so BONUS

October 26th - My Birthday - Magic Kingdom Extra Magic Hours - California Grill

October 27th- Spice Road Table. I ate here once 2 trips ago and fell in love. Their small plates are too die and wine list is amazing. Not to mention a great spot to watch Illuminations.

October 28th - 5:10 at Coral Reef. My prince's favorite. The plan is to head to DHS extra magic hours after dinner and then we have a 10:10 reservation for the kitchen sink at Beaches and cream

October 29th- Sanaa umm bread service.

So here is where I need you help.

California grill is currently booked up on my birthday and I am kind of freaking out. I don't know what to do. I have never been to California grill in ALL of my trips to WDW and I was so excited to finally try it on my birthday.

Should I just push forward with the original plan and hope a table opens up or do I book a different restaurant for my birthday? Do you guys have any suggestions.

The second idea is too eat at Spice Road Table on my birthday and watch Illuminations and then shoot over to MK in time for 10 Wishes and EMH and on the 27th eat at California grill (the day after my birthday).

I am open to any and all of your suggestions. Talk to you soon.

prfctlyximprct

That is so exciting! What an awesome way to find out about your trip! I basically had to bribe my boyfriend to go back with me this November.. LOL! So happy we both get to celebrate our birthdays in the world! Keep trying for Cali Grill, it will open up! I was only able to get a 7:40 ressie when the fireworks are at 10, but I think it will work. I look forward to your plans!

dclfan

Original Poster
That is so exciting! What an awesome way to find out about your trip! I basically had to bribe my boyfriend to go back with me this November.. LOL! So happy we both get to celebrate our birthdays in the world! Keep trying for Cali Grill, it will open up! I was only able to get a 7:40 ressie when the fireworks are at 10, but I think it will work. I look forward to your plans!

I hope it works out too, I check everyday like a crazy person. Wishes is also at ten on the night of my birthday so you have given me hope. I'm so excited for us birthday girls. I've been following along with you pre trip report as well, sounds amazing. I can't wait to read your report they are always the BEST.

dclfan

Original Poster
You could always book a different reservation for now and keep checking on Cali Grill. Then if something opens up, drop the other and book there!

I know. Do you have any suggestions of good places on the monorail? ohanas is good but I feel it isn't birthday dinner worthy lol. I'm such a dork

blreinsel

I know. Do you have any suggestions of good places on the monorail? ohanas is good but I feel it isn't birthday dinner worthy lol. I'm such a dork

I totally get what you mean! The only monorail restaurant I've done is 1900 Park Fare, which also isn't birthday dinner worthy lol. What about The Wave? I've seen some good reviews for there. @lostpro9het @Tuvalu have either of you eaten there or do you have other suggestions?

Tuvalu

Premium Member
I totally get what you mean! The only monorail restaurant I've done is 1900 Park Fare, which also isn't birthday dinner worthy lol. What about The Wave? I've seen some good reviews for there. @lostpro9het @Tuvalu have either of you eaten there or do you have other suggestions?
I have only eaten at the Wave once, several years ago when it first opened. I remember it being very dark and uninviting, and obviously wasn't impressed with the food or we would have gone back!

@dclfan, if you are unsuccessful at scoring a Cali Grill ADR on your birthday (keep trying!) you have a couple of options:
1. Arrive at the California Grill check-in desk (2nd floor of the Contemporary) around 4:30-4:45. You may be accommodated as a walk-up when the restaurant begins seating at 5 pm. (Tip given to us by a CG server.) Be sure to tell them it is your birthday! Though you may have to eat earlier than you'd like, you can return to CG for the fireworks as long as you have your receipt.

2. Walk-ups are usually accommodated if you want to sit at the bar. The couple checking in ahead of us on our visit earlier this month was doing just that. They sat near us and ordered full meals ~ appetizers, entrees and desserts.

dclfan

Original Poster

I have eaten at the wave and really enjoyed it. I had totally forgot about that place. Thanks for the reminder. :)

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Citricos is also an excellent option on the monorail.

I love The Wave, but it's on the ground floor and has no windows--it's cool, but a little casual for a birthday celebration (IMO, of course!) Citricos will give you more of a Cali Grill feeling as it is on the top floor of the restaurant with walls of windows, so you'll get a view. :)

Definitely book something, you can keep checking for CG right up until the day before and cancel the other reservation.

Last edited:

bee

I agree with other posters re: birthday dinner. I like The Wave for breakfast and drinks (haven't had lunch/dinner there yet) but it's very casual and is not comparable to Cali Grill for experience and service. I haven't done Citricos or Narcoosee but they are on my list for the future. You could also do as @Tuvalu suggested and try to wing it the day of at CG.

lostpro9het

The Wave and Citricos both have excellent food. I actually prefer The Wave over Citricos though. Probably my biggest beef with Citricos is I see more people in swimming attire than I should in such a restaurant.

dclfan

Original Poster
Thank you all so much for helping with the decision making process.

@Tuvalu thanks for the heads up. I would have never even thought to try and be a "walk up". I cant remember the last time we did that in Disney lol. We will definitely try that out if we don't secure a reservation before the 26th. Me and the prince like eating early in the night anyway so a 5:00 reservation wouldn't be too much of an inconvenience. We are complete foodies so Im trying to go more for the food, wouldn't mind being in MK for Wishes.

@bee and @lostpro9het @Tiggerish. Thank you for all of the suggestions. I remember loving my dinner at the wave but I feel like the atmosphere was just bleh though. I also feel like our server yelled at us for asking bread out of order. I'll have to ask my parents to refresh my memory on the full story, it's a good one

Can't I just move to Disney and eat all of my meals there?

I think I'm going to make Citricos as a back up. I'm already craving the oak fired filet. It might be fun to dress up and have drinks at Grand Floridian before dinner. I've never done that before. All about trying new things at the world.

I'm sure I'll go back and forth a bunch still before the trip but Im happy that I at least have options.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom