The Official Hurricane Ivan thread...

SpongeScott

pinkrose said:
I'm south of Hoover. I'm not sure where my husband heard it was a 2 (I'll ask him). I was thinking it was a one. It def. was above tropical force. I'll ask him when he gets home. It was a three for quiet a while after making landfall. My parents live in Hoover and it was worse here than up there.
Well, if you're south of Hoover I guess there would be a chance that you could have had a Cat 2 still. Our tropical force winds were bad enough; I wouldn't have wanted anything stronger.

BTW, the tree stump that we signed in the above picture is going to become a front porch table--sealed and finished.

pinkrose

SpongeScott said:
Well, if you're south of Hoover I guess there would be a chance that you could have had a Cat 2 still. Our tropical force winds were bad enough; I wouldn't have wanted anything stronger.

BTW, the tree stump that we signed in the above picture is going to become a front porch table--sealed and finished.

I myself aren't so sure of the two, but I'm going to ask. He's watched the news alot, so he could have heard it there. I dunno. lol

That stump will be a really neat piece of history. What a great idea of making into a table!

Tim G

Hurricane Ivan; The Aftermath (photos)

(17-20)

Attachments

• 3738119_320X240.jpg
    3738119_320X240.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 139
  • 3738120_320X240.jpg
    3738120_320X240.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 131
  • 3738147_320X240.jpg
    3738147_320X240.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 130
  • 3738148_320X240.jpg
    3738148_320X240.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 132

Tim G

(21-24)

Attachments

• 3738149_320X240.jpg
    3738149_320X240.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 131
  • 3738406_320X240.jpg
    3738406_320X240.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 130
  • 3738428_320X240.jpg
    3738428_320X240.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 135
  • 3738447_320X240.jpg
    3738447_320X240.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 129

Tim G

(25-28)

Attachments

• 3739286_320X240.jpg
    3739286_320X240.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 136
  • 3739304_320X240.jpg
    3739304_320X240.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 132
  • 3739935_320X240.jpg
    3739935_320X240.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 136
  • 3739949_320X240.jpg
    3739949_320X240.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 135

Tim G

(29-32)

Attachments

• 3740557_320X240.jpg
    3740557_320X240.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 133
  • 3740564_320X240.jpg
    3740564_320X240.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 132
  • 3740570_320X240.jpg
    3740570_320X240.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 139
  • 3740574_320X240.jpg
    3740574_320X240.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 135

Tim G

Hurricane Ivan, The Aftermath

Victims Of Hurricane Ivan Begin Slow Recovery

UPDATED: 9:27 am EDT September 18, 2004

PENSACOLA, Fla. -- Dazed victims of Hurricane Ivan in Florida and Alabama faced the grim reality Saturday of living without air conditioning and standing in lines for necessities in the summer heat, beginning the long process of recovery with a pledge to rebuild the shattered pieces of their lives and property.
Officials said Friday it would take weeks for power, sewer and water services to be restored in parts of Florida's Panhandle, another storm-ravaged section of a state already hit by Hurricanes Charley and Frances during an otherwise steamy summer.

Residents of the Alabama Gulf Coast and the Panhandle returned to their neighborhoods to find their homes gutted, appliances missing and clothing littered in the streets. Emergency officials promised to deliver needed supplies such as water and bedding, but found it difficult because of debris-strewn roads, washed out highways and power outages.

Florida Gov. Jeb Bush offered a bleak assessment of the damage from Ivan, which struck the Gulf Coast on Thursday morning with the sledgehammer force of 130-mph winds and major storm surge.
"The power issue is going to be a bigger issue than in Charley or Frances," Bush said Friday. "Living without air conditioning, it's not just an inconvenience, that's a health issue for a lot of people."

Gulf Power Co. had repaired its main generating plant, 20 substations and about 150 miles of transmission lines on Friday, the company said. But few customers had their power restored.
About 790 miles transmission lines -- more than half of the total lines -- were damaged in the hurricane.

Ivan was the deadliest hurricane to hit the United States since 1999's Floyd, blamed for 56 U.S. deaths. In all, Ivan was blamed for 70 deaths in the Caribbean and at least 40 in the United States, 16 of them in Florida.
David and Melinda Hastings waited in line Friday at the Family Foods Market in Pensacola, among many frustrated people seeking water, food and cigarettes.
"I've been here since '71 -- and I'm sick of it," said David Hastings, 33, who works for a towing company. He spent 23 days in the St. Petersburg area helping clean up from Charley, returning a week ago only to find himself in the midst of another hurricane.
"It's devastating. There's so many people who lost so much," said Melinda Hastings, 32. "We'll make it if everybody holds together and puts it back together. We'll be all right."

Bush deployed about 2,000 National Guard troops to the Panhandle. His brother, President Bush, was expected to visit the area Sunday -- the president's third trip to review hurricane damage in Florida.
The Red Cross has appealed for more donations and volunteers in the wake of the hurricanes. The combined cost of the hurricane season before Ivan was expected to be $50 million, about $14 million more than what had been donated to the agency nationwide this year. Agency officials said it was still too soon to say how much Ivan might add to that price tag.

Bush and Sen. Bill Nelson flew in a helicopter Friday over the normally picturesque barrier islands that dot the Gulf Coast.
"All of the dunes are gone," Nelson said. "All of those sugary white beaches and the dunes have been washed over the entire barrier island. It looks like its the entire white barrier island."

Ivan struck at a time when Florida is still reeling from Charley and Frances. Charley ravaged the state's west coast five weeks ago, while Frances pounded the east over Labor Day weekend. Those storms left Floridians without power for weeks.
Insurance experts put Ivan's damage at anywhere from $3 billion to $10 billion. Charley and Frances had combined estimated insured damages between about $11 billion and $13 billion.

Pensacola firefighter Al Jackson, 52, returned to the Gulf Breeze condo he owns with wife Donna, 52, a retired retail worker. They arrived to find it had been inundated and severely damaged -- the storm surge crushed part of the home, which had a water mark at the top of the front door.
"You don't realize it's going to be this bad," Donna Jackson said. "It's pretty much history because the ceiling has caved in."
Added her husband: "We're overwhelmed, just overwhelmed."

Naval Air Station Pensacola suffered massive damage during the storm, estimated in the hundreds of millions of dollars, the Navy said Friday. Ninety percent of the buildings on the base suffered "significant" damage, although no one was reported injured, according to a Navy statement.
Some military aircraft stationed in the Pensacola area had been flown out ahead of the storm, but other aircraft left behind may have been damaged.

Near Pensacola on Friday, divers recovered the body of a truck driver who died when the cab of his tractor-trailer fell off an Interstate 10 bridge that had been broken apart by the hurricane. The trailer was perched precariously on the bridge, its front portion apparently torn off by Ivan's winds.
The bridge closing over Escambia Bay diverted local traffic to U.S. 90, which was backed up for more than 10 miles.

Ivan weakened after coming ashore, but it continued to spin off tornadoes or cause flooding along much of the U.S. East Coast, already soggy after Charley and Frances. More than a million people were without power across eight states. In Florida, about 399,000 homes and businesses were without power Friday, down from a peak of about 443,000, state officials said.

JonnyK

Hey everyone its jon aka wdwfreak here saying that I'm ok and made it thru the storm. I don't have power still and I'm typing from my phone so I could let everyone know I'm fine.

Wow the storm was the worst I ever had in my life.. I mean that was a wild and awful storm and damaged everything.

My house is damaged though but not really damaged. Just some trees down and stuff. But however my house ceiling fell down and its leaking water thru the roof had a hole and that's what caused it to break thru and leak with water. Its strange. The house is strong and kinda new but I guess ill have to get these fixed. and the ceilings breaking is in the room next to mine and in the family room also the garage too.

Anyway I'm fine and so is my family. Ill be back online whenever the power is restored.

Take care.

-Jon

Tim G

(33-36)

Attachments

• 14287335.jpg
    14287335.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 175
  • 14287541.jpg
    14287541.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 174
  • 14287694.jpg
    14287694.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 179
  • 14287834.jpg
    14287834.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 165

tigger248

wdwfreak said:
Hey everyone its jon aka wdwfreak here saying that I'm ok and made it thru the storm. I don't have power still and I'm typing from my phone so I could let everyone know I'm fine.

Wow the storm was the worst I ever had in my life.. I mean that was a wild and awful storm and damaged everything.

My house is damaged though but not really damaged. Just some trees down and stuff. But however my house ceiling fell down and its leaking water thru the roof had a hole and that's what caused it to break thru and leak with water. Its strange. The house is strong and kinda new but I guess ill have to get these fixed. and the ceilings breaking is in the room next to mine and in the family room also the garage too.

Anyway I'm fine and so is my family. Ill be back online whenever the power is restored.

Take care.

-Jon

Great to hear that you're okay! From what I hear, Pensacola got hit really bad. Sorry to hear about the house damage, but at least it's not major. I hope your power comes back soon.

Tim G

Authorities Search For People On Gulf Coast After Ivan

Ivan's Death Toll at 45

UPDATED: 9:09 AM EDT September 19, 2004

PENSACOLA, Fla. -- Authorities are searching for missing people along Florida's Gulf Coast in the wake of Hurricane Ivan.

Hundreds of urban search and rescue workers have been scouring demolished neighborhoods, some using tracking dogs to look for victims in the rubble and along flooded river banks.

A Federal Emergency Management search team along Perdido Key, Fla., found about six survivors, none badly hurt. Officials say they received minor medical attention and were given directions to the nearest place to find food and water.

The team also combed through residential structures ranging from washed-out single-family homes to high-rise condominiums "that will definitely have to be demolished."

Twelve people are still missing in Escambia County and at least a dozen in Santa Rosa County. Officials say it isn't clear whether they evacuated without notifying relatives or whether they were in danger.

President Bush plans to head to the region today to get a first-hand look at the destruction wrought by Hurricane Ivan.
The president is scheduled to visit parts of Florida and Alabama that were hit hard by the storm.
This trip amounts to a change in plans for the president. He originally had been scheduled to spend the weekend at the Bush family home in Kennebunkport and make a side trip to New Hampshire to attend a NASCAR race.

The number of U.S. deaths linked to Hurricane Ivan now stands at 45, with 16 of them in Florida. The storm is also blamed for 70 deaths in the Caribbean.

Ivan's remnants rained down on the northeast United States Saturday. Heavy rains spawned floods in parts of New York City.
The floods, in turn, spread garbage and muck over New York's streets.
"This is something you would not expect in New York, in a first-world country," said a restaurant owner.
The flooding also caused part of the city's subway system to close down.

Kadee

Hey Guys! I'm OK....We survived. This was THE worst storm I've ever been through and I've been through MANY hurricanes (even Frederick). We had very little damage on my house. Lost a couple of shingles and my neighbor's tree fell into my yard.....Thats it..... We were truely blessed. Guess it was that constant praying all night long. We finally got power and phone back yesterday. There are still many parts of my town that do not have power or phone. The devestation around town was horrible! There were houses in my neighborhood with trees through the roof and some with part or all of their roof gone. Power lines were everywhere. I WILL NEVER STAY HERE FOR ANOTHER STORM LIKE THAT, AGAIN!!!!! I was terrified. We still have not gotten cable back and since I have cable internet, I had to sign up for that free 45 hours of AOL just to get online. MAN dial up is SLOW! I had forgotten how slow it is. The eye passed right over us. It was pretty cool. We went outside and even took the dogs out. It took about an hour and a half for the eye to pass over.

Anyway, we are ok and getting back to normal. I'll just be happy when we finish getting the tree and all the limbs and leaves out of our yard! It is a mess.

tigger248

Glad to hear that you are okay Kadee! It's also great to know that your house didn't have any substantial damage. I tend to get a little freaked out with a particularly bad severe storm here, so something of the magnitude of that hurricane would have completely freaked me out. That's the good thing about being in kentucky, we don't get storms like that here! I hope you get your cable back soon and that everything can start returning to normal.

It seems to sorta be happening already, my relatives from Mobile left today to return home. They're hoping that their house doesn't have any damage and that it has power for them when they get home. Good luck with your cleanup efforts also!

We said an extra prayer in church today for everyone affected by Ivan and his fury. Just thought I'd let ya'll know that we're still thinking about you!

pinkrose

Kadee, I'm soooo glad to hear you are ok! Thank goodness that your house didn't have much damage.

Tigger, it's so sweet for you and your church to think about those affected by Ivan. The coast sure can use all the prayers it can get. :(

Kadee

You guys are very sweet for worrying about me. Thanks for your prayers. There are a lot of people down here that really need those prayer right now. Tempers are very short due to everything and all the frustration it has caused. Although...it is understandable. I finally had time to let most of those pictures load ( I HATE DIAL UP!...I WANT MY CABLE BACK!) and I hate to say this, but that is nothing compared to some of the damage I've seen around town and on TV. It is horrible! I've got video from just a small area around town and as soon as possible, I'll get it on line. You will be shocked. That one picture with the trailor from the semi truck hanging over the edge of the brigde: That is the Pensacola Bay Brigde on I-10. The last I heard they have no idea what happened to the cab part of the truck or the driver. It is so sad. Gulf Shores and Orange Beach is total devastation. My sister can not even go home yet. (she lives in Orange Beach). SHe is not even sure her apartment is still there. My other sister inFoley may be without power for up to three weeks. I know how lucky and blessed I am. God is Good.

pinkrose

I can believe that the damage is worse than pics show. What frustrates me is that Alabama (Gulf Shores and Orange Beach) are left out on the coverage. The news is focusing on Pensacola. Yes, I know Pensacola was hit hard... as was the Alabama coast. I think that they all should be focused on.

My friend has a condo in Gulf Shores. They are having hard time getting information on it. They did see it on the news, so they know the building is still there. They were told that it would be 2 - 3 weeks before they can go check on it. And I can't belive that the Florabama (that's how you spell it?) was destroyed. :cry: So much devestation. I continue to keep all of you down there in my prayers. We were lucky up here. Even with hurricane force winds, there wasn't near the damage that's down there. Most importantly, it seems that due to the evacuation, there were alot of lives saved. Lives are the most important.

I believe they found the driver of the truck (my friend saw it scroll across the bottom of foxnews, cnn, one of them). That's so sad :(. I wonder why he was trying to cross the bridge in a cat. 4 hurricane.

Lovecraft

We made it! Amazingly, my power was restored last night.

Right now I am so thankful and feel blessed that my house suffered very little damage (small roof leak and messed up trees) after taking 12 hours of hurricane and near hurricane force winds.

Wednesday night and thursday morning were frightening, and the days leading up until Monday night were uncomfortable (to say the least).

I am glad to see some of my neighbors on Alabama's gulf coast made it through ok as well.

The thing that makes me shudder the most when I think about the hurricane we just had and what I saw it do to my little town of Crestview (North of Ft. Walton Beach, East of Pensacola and about 25 miles from the gulf) is thinking about what it did to the place I was living in just 4 months ago. From the aerial photos, it looks like my former condo on the beach may still be standing but filled with sand up to the second story. I feel even more blessed now that I have moved -- I think to myself how close I came to losing EVERYTHING -- and my heart goes out to those who have, and to those who tomorrow, will be allowed onto what used to be one of the most beautiful places on the shores of the Gulf of Mexico, Pensacola Beach.

To those of you that know the area, there is some news I got that is heartening, among landmarks that actually survived are the big Fish Pensacola Beach sign, and amazingly the large white cross marking the location of the first Catholic Mass performed in North America (the Feast of the Assumption, on Santa Rosa Island in what is now Pensacola Beach by LaSalle). The cross stands atop a dune in a series of dunes, my condo was almost directly across from it. In the mornings when I would go to my car it would be the first thing I looked at, and on my returns from many Disney World trips my weary eyes would see it before I went up to bed, happy and exhausted. So I was very worried about this cross and VERY happy to see it made it through yet another storm. The dune right next to it, and some condos nearby, however, didn't.

I could probably use my hurricane sticker and driver's license (which I haven't had time to change to my new location yet) to go see the damage to the beach tomorrow in person, and I thought about it -- but I won't -- the people who live there now, do not need gawkers, even if my gawking is for sentimental reasons. My wife and I spent a wonderful part of our lives together on that little island, I hate to see it so devastated overnight.

Good luck to anyone living there currently-- and when you visit your places tomorrow, my prayers go with you.

Lovecraft

pinkrose

I'm so glad that you and your home are ok!

It breaks my heart that so many people lost everything. I really feel for them. They still have what's most important, their lives. They will all remain in my prayers as will the families of the people that were killed. :(

JonnyK

Im here and back online.

I finally got power restored Yesterday (Tues Afternoon) Its great to have power on.. but I couldnt stand living without power.. especially in these florida heat.. but yay finally got em back on.

Im on 56K Dialup (FREE AOL TRIAL) At the moment since my Cable isnt working.. I use cable internet for high speed internet.. but cable is down and I want it back on now.. i cant stand 56k.. but as long i got the internet to keep you guys an update.

the house is still damaged but everything is pretty much cleaned up right now.. tarping done on the roofing to keep the water out, the ceilings have some holes now and were trying to find someone who can restore our ceiling with some good quality products, carpet has been torned out.. they were wet and dirty from the falling ceilings and were gonna get a new one anyway. Trees has been cut down and cleaned up.. Pool is still icky looking.. (green looking) From leaves.. etc etc debris also.. but it'll be cleaned up soon.

thats pretty much everything for now.

heres a shot of I-10 (to tallahassee) From pensacola.. (I live near I-10 so i took a pic of the damaged bridge)

bridge1.jpg

bridge2.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom