The Official 1971-1999 Picture Thread

willtravel

1976 Main Street
197710DWMainStMovies-Copy.jpg
Thank you. I was just looking at how everyone was dressed. Very nice for WDW and how casual we dress today.

Minnie1976

My Darling Daughter saw this and asked why those boys were sitting at tables were Ariel and Eric Meet. I think the restaurant would have been nicer.
Because we were having lunch. It was a GOOD restaurant and back then there wasn't any really good Disney food.
It was kind of Chinese. I'd have to look up the name. Also there were fish in the water and they were checking out the fish. It was our favorite place to sit and have lunch. At that time the characters weren't in certain places and just walked around.

These are all great! Anytime your taking a picture it's limited time at the moment but he picture help relieve that moment! I wish I could find our video and pics from 93 we stayed at Dixie Landings and the Poly that was one of my most favorite memories of my young life! It has been years since I have been back to WDW I can't wait ( been like 7 years) can't wait to get back making a trip back real soon! Again great photos everyone!

MadMax11

This isn't my own picture and I know a lot of people hated it, but I thought the 1997 25th anniversary castle cake was AWESOME! I really wanted to go see it, but we opted to wait a year so we could experience Animal Kingdom. I wouldn't mind at all if they did something like this again!

4b.jpg
I got married in 1997. In 1996, I proposed to her in the castle..King Stefan's. In 1997, we went back for the honeymoon at Wilderness Lodge. My parents paid because we were dirt poor and I was just starting law school. I hated that cake looking facade for the castle..particularly being there on my honeymoon and wanting to see the castle the way it was when I asked her to marry me :)

Goofyernmost

I got married in 1997. In 1996, I proposed to her in the castle..King Stefan's. In 1997, we went back for the honeymoon at Wilderness Lodge. My parents paid because we were dirt poor and I was just starting law school. I hated that cake looking facade for the castle..particularly being there on my honeymoon and wanting to see the castle the way it was when I asked her to marry me :)
You could have just imagined it a Disney surprise Wedding Cake...made specially for you. The whole place is based on imagination. You must have forgotten that. :joyfull::joyfull:

MadMax11

Yeah I can TOTALLY see that but at the same time it's still a theme park and people can't expect it to always stay the same. Change is good =D

Yeah, I don't think change is necessarily good. Good change is good...but not all change is good :)

Either way, it's not life-changing. I got over it, and I've lived a healthy well-adjusted life ever since :)

Goofyernmost

Yeah, I don't think change is necessarily good. Good change is good...but not all change is good :)

Either way, it's not life-changing. I got over it, and I've lived a healthy well-adjusted life ever since :)
I'm glad you had the internal strength to pull yourself through it. :joyfull: My son in law mentioned to me that they went there on their Honeymoon (I should have remembered that myself, cause I paid for it) and both he and my Daughter loved it. Coincidentally, I think I said you should have thought of it as a Wedding Cake the Disney built just for you, when I mentioned it to them, they both told me without prompting at any point or them knowing that I had mentioned anything on the boards, said..."We just figured that Disney made a Wedding Cake for us. We loved it" How's that for Father and Daughter similarities. :cool:

Dragonrider1227

I love when they "dress up" the castles - it makes it a lot more exciting and interesting. They've been there for so many years, why not have some fun and get creative for a small period of time? I even loved what they did for the DL's 50th Anniversary:

450px-Magic_Kingdom_Cinderella_Castle_50TH.jpg

I can kind of understand if you are traveling an insane distance (west coast of US or internationally) and may only have one opportunity to see it - you probably want it to be in its original state and not a cake lol. But for those of us who are lucky enough to go multiple times, it spices things up. I've seen it be a normal castle plenty of times enough already and will see it plenty of times more. The only thing I didn't like was the toilet paper for the opening of Stitch:

2808071916_090b6c666d.jpg

It was only for that one day but still, you're going to TP and graffiti your own building?!?! Not my style.
I don't know, I wasn't a fan of the castle cake but I thought it was hilarious when it got TPed.
and I absolutely loved the gold trim make over as well. that's doing it right. Dressing it up for a special occasion without over-doing it in my opinion

FettFan

I hate to bump this thread, but I just have to thank all of you who have posted these amazing pictures. I love looking at pictures of what it was like at WDW back then. The tourists choice of clothing, the many accessories people used as that one lady who had a ginormous camera mounted on her shoulder in the first post; and much more. It really gives people a sense of what it was like in one single frame.

No apologies necessary. Threads like these deserve to get a bump every so often for more people to add more photos. :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom