The Official 1971-1999 Picture Thread

redpill101

I also have my Auto graph book from 93 that I'm planning taking with me this Oct when I return :)
IMG_207625694607597.jpeg

Clamman73

Me and my brother in a restaurant in Epcot., 1988. I can't remember the name of the restaurant, it was huge, had tiered seating and a stage. we had no idea, but during eating, Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Goofy and Donald all came on stage, did a show then came into the crowd for pics. I can't remember this picture being taken, nor can I remember anything much about Epcot other than Figment, the smell of Oranges on Horizons, Martin Short on Body wars, and Walter Kronkite's For eons....) BUT I can remember the song they came out to sing:
Clap your hands!!!
Everybody have a ball!
Clap your hands!!!
Now it's time for everyone to clap your hands!
Let's freak out off the wall, Clap your hands!
We're gonna have a ball.
Mickey's here and Minnies here to dance the night away
It's a partytime on Main Street USA
??????
New and discovering you can fly, you can fly you can fly!!!!
Have a party, full of wonder, there is such a world to see!
Party! from 3 to 93, put your hands together, come on everybody!
Clap your hands!! etc etc.

Or I think it went like that!

Pic should be the Odyssey

Minnie1976

Here are some park tickets I have from when I went in 93/94 :)

View attachment 30750
I know everything is technology these days. I use to love the paper tickets. You could see the days you were at the parks. If you didn't use all your days, you would bring them for the next trip. You could also look at the ticket and see how many days were left on it. Life was good and tickets never expired.

willtravel

4b.jpg

Sadly, the complainers have won and in the process we have all lost something. We lost Disney's motivation to do something spectacular. This one must have cost Disney 100's of thousands of dollars just for the 25th Anniversary. I thought it was incredible. What a creative design, what a jaw dropper.

The argument was that people have come here and were disappointed that they didn't see the actual castle. These are the same people that are all breathless about those cardboard overlays on HM and Small World for seasonal changes. Well, I say the same thing that they do when justifying changing it. If someone wants to see the original all they have to do is come back at another time. In the mean time there are plenty of pictures of it to look at. We wonder why there is no more imagination and creativity coming out of Disney. Somebody was very excited about the castle cake and rightly so...it was stupendous. All they got out of it was grief. They want the parks to be fresh and vigorous just as long as they don't change anything to achieve that goal. Can't be done.
I wonder who uuuhhh came up with this idea for the castle?:jawdrop:

Goofyernmost

I wonder who uuuhhh came up with this idea for the castle?:jawdrop:
I'm assuming that you are being critical of it and all I can say is if you were to see it in person and see just how detailed and extensive this was, took 2 seconds to understand how much time, energy and money it took just to entertain people that have no sense of whimsy you would know just how awesome it was. It never would have been something like the Mickey Hand in Epcot that was a unattached side build or the Stupid 'd hat in DHS that is a free standing addition, the Castle Cake was never meant to last longer then the 25th anniversary promotion.

I also would like to know who thought it up cause I would like to meet them, shake their hand and tell them what an absolutely wonderful thing they had created for such a short duration. If for no other reason some recognition to the imagination, engineering and labor that went into it should be forthcoming from all the armchair imagineers out there that always seem to know what is best.

Goofyernmost

I know everything is technology these days. I use to love the paper tickets. You could see the days you were at the parks. If you didn't use all your days, you would bring them for the next trip. You could also look at the ticket and see how many days were left on it. Life was good and tickets never expired.
Yea...and you could easily sell them to anybody with the money. Mickey didn't like that, he didn't! :greedy::(

willtravel

I'm assuming that you are being critical of it and all I can say is if you were to see it in person and see just how detailed and extensive this was, took 2 seconds to understand how much time, energy and money it took just to entertain people that have no sense of whimsy you would know just how awesome it was. It never would have been something like the Mickey Hand in Epcot that was a unattached side build or the Stupid 'd hat in DHS that is a free standing addition, the Castle Cake was never meant to last longer then the 25th anniversary promotion.

I also would like to know who thought it up cause I would like to meet them, shake their hand and tell them what an absolutely wonderful thing they had created for such a short duration. If for no other reason some recognition to the imagination, engineering and labor that went into it should be forthcoming from all the armchair imagineers out there that always seem to know what is best.
To each his own.

Goofyernmost

To each his own.
So true, but, when people get all upset by something as innocent as the Castle Cake and spend every available moment complaining about something they don't like, then in the process deprive others of it, I get a little upset. For example, I hate, hate, hate the entire Lion King franchise, but, I don't go to Disney and tell them how much of a stupid thing it is. Know why, because I know it's to each his own. I don't ridicule whomever came up with the idea, because apparently many people liked it. I can only question myself as to why I don't, not tell other people that they are fools for liking it. That is what happens with the Castle Cake. People with what I can only think of as having some warped sense of reality, felt that replacing a fake castle with a fake castle cake was some sort of abomination and end of civilization as we know it. Kinda like the ruined lives coming out from the Starbucks decision. Perhaps I just need to get some sleep. :grumpy:

willtravel

So true, but, when people get all upset by something as innocent as the Castle Cake and spend every available moment complaining about something they don't like, then in the process deprive others of it, I get a little upset. For example, I hate, hate, hate the entire Lion King franchise, but, I don't go to Disney and tell them how much of a stupid thing it is. Know why, because I know it's to each his own. I don't ridicule whomever came up with the idea, because apparently many people liked it. I can only question myself as to why I don't, not tell other people that they are fools for liking it. That is what happens with the Castle Cake. People with what I can only think of as having some warped sense of reality, felt that replacing a fake castle with a fake castle cake was some sort of abomination and end of civilization as we know it. Kinda like the ruined lives coming out from the Starbucks decision. Perhaps I just need to get some sleep. :grumpy:
I do believe you are making more out of this. I simply made a comment (a small one liner) about a cake castle and you go off on a tangent that really doesn't have anything to do with the picture. Great you like it, IMO I found it a bit too too. The earth will still spin today.

Goofyernmost

I do believe you are making more out of this. I simply made a comment (a small one liner) about a cake castle and you go off on a tangent that really doesn't have anything to do with the picture. Great you like it, IMO I found it a bit too too. The earth will still spin today.
Yes, I did get carried away, it really isn't about what you said either. You certainly do have a right to dislike something and you expressed it that way. For every defense I can come up with there will be those out there that hold to the stance that more then the fact that they didn't like it...it was almost a crime to do it. They are the ones that were vocally persistent about how awful and immoral and stupid and making Walt spin in his grave an offense this creation was. It was those that could not stand to see the status quo change at all. Anything different was attacked as being sacrilegious and evil and at the same time complaining that.."boo hoo, we never get anything new here!" All the Disney boys need to enhance their own bonuses is to be able to tell the Imagineers and BOD to not bother to come up with anything new, it will just cost us extra money and "the public doesn't want it". It will destroy the shrine.

So anyway, sorry for unloading. It just seems that everywhere I turn lately there are people with almost no ability chronically being critical of the things that those with ability do. It's never good enough and it is getting frustrating. As I said in my post...I guess I just need more sleep to stop the grumpy :grumpy: and get back my usual cherub like demeanor.:happy:

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom