The next acquisition?

Mawg

Original Poster
Disney's growth strategy seems to be to acquire companies that would be a good match in its family. What do you think the next big acquisition could be, or do you think they will just sit and build on what they have for awhile? I've always thought Lego would fit well in the family. Could they afford a company like Nintendo? Just adding a thread for some thought and chit chat.

FutureCEO

Hasbro would be an interesting fit but doesn't really scream something Disney would buy. Lego is most likely a no because of Merlin. I don't really see Disney buying anything major in the next few years. After all, how big can you get? Pretty soon all companies will be own by one.

Matt_Black

If they were to buy a video game company, I'd bet it would be more Square-Enix or Capcom, as both companies have had working relations with Disney or it's subsidiaries. Also, how awesome would it be to meet Auron from Final Fantasy X or Chun Li from Street Fighter II in the parks?

StageFrenzy

If they were to buy a video game company, I'd bet it would be more Square-Enix or Capcom, as both companies have had working relations with Disney or it's subsidiaries. Also, how awesome would it be to meet Auron from Final Fantasy X or Chun Li from Street Fighter II in the parks?

Disney's video game division has been on an amazing suckage spree. They just shuttered one of the oldest video game studios that had a rich history of great games. They laid off over 800 people this past week, I actually believe Disney interactive is run by the same people at the parks. Give nobody what they want and sit on a humongous IP hoard that DI has no intention of using.

Matt_Black

They just shuttered one of the oldest video game studios that had a rich history of great games.

LucasArts, you mean? They'd been in a bad way before Disney came along. All their big hits for roughly the past decade had been done by outside developers. As far as in-house development, they were but a mere shadow of their former selves. As far as sitting on classic IPs, what did LA do with properties like Maniac Mansion, Grim Fandango, or Monkey Island recently?

StageFrenzy

LucasArts, you mean? They'd been in a bad way before Disney came along. All their big hits for roughly the past decade had been done by outside developers. As far as in-house development, they were but a mere shadow of their former selves. As far as sitting on classic IPs, what did LA do with properties like Maniac Mansion, Grim Fandango, or Monkey Island recently?

Of course those are classic Lucas Arts games and I was talking about LA. But in addition to those classic ips there is Star Wars, mickey and everything else in the disney catalog book. The first Epic Mickey was cool however I felt it was handicapped by the Wii and the stupid paint mechanic.

some guy

Bandai Namco Holdings seems like it would be up their alley. A ton of IPs and subsidiaries, and it would buy them a toy manufacturer.

mahnamahna101

My guess?

Mattel over Hasbro

1. Barbie and Hot Wheels are universally known/beloved toys - so there would be a huge nostalgia factor
  2. Transformers is already at Universal... and it would be rather trollish to buy the rights to another IP that Universal Orlando currently holds
  3. Fisher Price and Monster High would be great backup IPs to the two above
  4. Disney already has a great relationship with Mattel (Disney Princesses, Cars, Toy Story, etc)
  5. Hasbro just doesn't scream Disney aside from My Little Pony (and many on these boards are adamantly against it) - especially G.I. Joe since it's focused on military violence
Only downside - Mattel has next to no classic board games that would work as attractions (similar to Candy Land, Battleship, Clue, etc)

Matt_Black

Oh, lordy... It's bad enough there's more MLP/ Kingdom Hearts crossover fan stuff than there should be. Disney buying Hasbro would open the floodgates of nightmarish crossovers from the demented minds of bronies.

On the plus side, I don't think there's any theme park licenses for G.I. Joe, is there? Because I would punch an old man in the face for an opportunity to meet Snake Eyes and Shipwreck.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom