The Newsroom

tcool123

Original Poster
2017logo-png.178718

Imagineering Newsletter
January 29, 2017

Introduction
Greetings everyone to this ever exciting newsletter! In this Newsletter we'll meet one of the newest members on this board and his breathtaking project. Stay tuned till the end of the newsletter to see who he is, or if you already know good for you :D

Imagineering Events

So, You Want To Be an Imagineer Season 14 : Greatest Hits

banner-png.186794

Announced
this weekend is the newest season of So, You Want to be an Imagineer. Season 14 focuses on the best challenges to have come out of SYWTBAI, giving it the name of Greatest Hits. In fact we here at the newsroom have some of the themes that will be used in challenges :
- Toontown : The first one to be revealed was Toontown project in which Imagineers are allowed to use any IP from any studio as long as it's animated; this allows for a real life Toontown. This theme is from Season 8.
- Legend of the Lost Army : The second one to be revealed is a mythology based project for World Showcase. This theme is from Season 1 .
- Great Broadway Ride : The third challenge to be revealed is a Great Movie Ride, but for Broadway. Two shows must be present, and they are: The Book of Mormon and Hamilton. This ride may be placed at any Disney Parks location.
- Bluesky Project : The fourth challenge to be revealed is a bluesky challenge in which Imagineers must create an E-Ticket from an IP generally considered awful. It may be placed at any Disney Parks location. This theme is from Season 7
- The final challenge's theme is a new theatrical show for a Disney film. However the film chosen must not have an already existing show.
This theme is from Season 2.

Sign Ups were originally posted for Feburary 20th and a start date of March 3rd. This competition was set to have 10 to 15 players. However due to an overwhelming demand things quickly changed. The limit was expanded to 18 players, and the sign up date was pushed to last Friday. Very quickly the slots to be in the competition were filled up. Among the cast we have veteran imagineers @MonorailRed , @spacemt354 , and @RMichael21 just to name a few. However we have some newcomers such as @NAdoTEg , @TrevorA , and joining for the first time on WDWMagic @Snoopy . All in all the cast list looks very promising.

This season of SYWTBAI plans to be a nonstrategy based competition that involves group brainstorming threads that will allow for more diverse themes and greater projects. There will be three teams of six, and the team names all refer to past players who have shown great skill; those team names are Cap, Mist, and Younger. So, You Want to be an Imaginer : Greatest Hits is hosted by @TheOriginalTiki and @MANEATINGWREATH . I strongly suggest watching out for this competition as it looks like it will be lots of fun, and an unique take on the competitions here.
So, You Want to be an Imagineer Season 14 : Greatest Hits

Imagineering Weekends

swbKuGu.jpg

Back again in full force are the Imagineering Weekends with three associated threads. The first and the newest thread is Fear Factor! here Imagineers propose ideas for Disney parks that will cause fans to look away in disgust, hence the name Fear Factor. A fan favorite returns, and that is Where in World? Here Imagineers post a picture of Walt Disney World, and the rest have to guess where it's located in the world. The last thread is part of the second longest running competition, only beaten by SYWTBAI. This competition is the One Sentence competition now on its third season. It is currently hosted by @Pionmycake , and is in its third challenge of episode one. Currently imagineers are tasked in creating a brand new attraction for the Muppets Courtyard. The challenge is due tomorrow at 10 PM.
Fear Factor
Where in the World?
One Sentence Competiton

The Creator Games : Project Revival

2016-12-04.png

It ended abruptly, but while this competition lasted we saw some high caliber projects from both Team Drax and Baby Groot. We here at the Newsroom agree with @IDInstitute with cancelling this competition due to the internal drama. However I must applaud the coaches and players as well for raising the bar high for 2017. Each challenge saw a different way to submit an Imagineering proposal. In challenge 1 we saw the classic forum post, and tradition website. In challenge 2 we had the return of the blog format which had been absent since the last Creator Games with @tcool 's Tomorrowland project. However it wasn't fully embraced the way showcased this season. Finally in the last episode we had a book telling the story of the ride synced to music. Overall everything was very impressive, and once again some applause for those that participated.

Imagineering Spotlight

Welcome one and all to Imagineering Spotlight! This time around we are putting a spotlight on the first post of an extremely talented Imagineer. You may not know him, but you'll love his project. @jsurbs for Remember... Dreams Come True. This project is the best nighttime spectacular I've seen on these forums, and is also probably my favorite use of Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 to date on the forums. The amount of effort put into this show is breathtaking. Here's an interview with @jsurbs to get to know him and just how he created this.

How long did it take you to create this spectacular?
All of 2016. A long, but gratifying year. By the end of it, I was wearing a wrist brace from how painful it was to continue clicking and tinkering. Perfection, although ambitious, was the end goal here. I’d like to think it was all worth it in the end.
From January to March, I was curating. Searching Disney park images, looking at show concept art, and watching nighttime entertainment videos/presentations that would inspire me to create this show. What really struck me was Steve Davison’s preview presentation of “Remember” back in 2005. You can watch it here.
I went into stage development from April to May, starting from a traditional Main Street U.S.A. and finally ending up with a five turret L-shaped, castle-themed platform surrounded by water. For the remainder of the year, the show was broken down into 10 segments and one-by-one I programmed the show lighting followed by the pyrotechnic elements. December was simply recording and video post-production.

Was there any planned segments you wished to include, but due to time constraints were excluded? If so which ones?
There is a saying that you can only fulfill so much of your vision. In this case, it was true.
- Projection mapping. Yes, every Disney park is now doing it. And although “Disneyland Forever” was a bit of a disappointment to me (lacked the heart and soul that “Remember” or “Wishes” had), the projections really impressed me with how immersive it was. For this particular project, all of it could be done with post-production through chroma keying and garbage mattes. With multiple attempts, some elements of the show would have been compromised or completely removed. In the end, it was not worth sacrificing the foreground pyro for projections.
- Water Screens. Just like the ones in “Fantasmic” or “World of Color”. If I couldn’t have projections, maybe a giant water screen would work. Unfortunately, the water screens were getting in the way of too many lights and fireworks. Idea was scrapped immediately.
- Tinkerbell. Back in 2005, Tink’s new flight was groundbreaking for “Remember” and I wanted to bring her into my project. Unfortunately, this is just something beyond my time and energy (and arguably, I think its beyond the capabilities of Roller Coaster Tycoon 3).
The good news is that all segments of “Remember… Dreams Come True” are included in the final video. No section is left missing! :)

To create a show of such caliber you must have had lots of practice. So my question is have you done this in the past, and if so any examples you could provide?
From 2006 to 2009, I was creating Disney shows on the RCT3 platform and it’s all because of “Remember”. When I first watched “Remember” in 2005, it changed my perspective on Disney Parks forever. I was in such awe. I teared up as the finale blew up the sky with golden brocades and chrysanthemums to “When You Wish Upon A Star”. From then on, I knew I wanted to make shows for the Disney niche, and more so I wanted to be an imagineer!
You can view any of my work on my YouTube channel. My most popular show is “Believe… There’s Magic In The Stars” from 2009.
After that show, I retired as I got busy with high school and went off to college. Now, 7 years later, I caved in and made “Remember”. It was the one show I always wanted to make and I just had to do it. I really gave it my all and you can tell that my sense of style and design has matured vastly.

Finally, can we expect to see you again on these boards anytime soon, or is this a one and done kinda thing?
As a full-time working professional in the television industry, I don’t have a lot of time on my hands but I do plan to release shorter and seasonal shows during the holidays.
You’ll definitely see me again — and I hope to be an active member of the space as well!

Mark Your Calendars

Monday: Croissant Day
Tuesday: yaD sdrawkcaB
Wednesday: Baked Alaska Day

Thursday: Groundhog Day
Friday: Feed the Birds Day
Saturday: Eat Icecream for Breakfast Day
Sunday: Superbowl Sunday

The Imagineering Calendar

If you wish to see your competition on this calendar please notify either @spacemt354 or me via PM.

January 2017
- The Creator Games : Project Revival by @IDInstitute
- One Sentence Competition Season 3 by @Pionmycake
- So, You Want to be an Imagineer Season 14 : Greatest Hits by @TheOriginalTiki and @MANEATINGWREATH

February 2017
- The Imagineering Gauntlet: Dream Finder's Revenge by @DlpPhantom
- One Sentence Competition Season 3 by @Pionmycake
- So, You Want to be an Imagineer Season 14 : Greatest Hits by @TheOriginalTiki and @MANEATINGWREATH

March 2017
- Quest for the Hidden Temple by @Magic Feather
- The Imagineering Gauntlet: Dream Finder's Revenge by @DlpPhantom

April 2017
- The Great Disney Race by @DSquared

May 2017

June 2017
- Amazing Race Based Competition by @RMichael21

July 2017
- TBN Competition by @Magic Feather and @FigmentPigments

August 2017

September 2017
- A Twist in Time 2 by @tcool123

October 2017

November 2017
- TBN Competition by @Disney Dad 3000

December 2017
- TBN Competition by @Disney Dad 3000
- Year End Competition

Conclusion

I hope everyone had a fun time reading along, I expect everyone of you to come back for the next issue ;)
Until then stay imagineery everybody!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom