Trip Report The mistakes that I learned from..Trip back in time..

Friends, I've been thinking,

I need a major distraction, and also, I received too many compliments for my laid back style..
I'm going to continue on the trip report binge and do a comparison of our 2015 trip here. It won't be as long.. I promise. If you want to follow along with my madness, you are welcome. I've had a rough past few days and need something to keep me busy.

So here it goes.. first I should change the title though..
ETA- actually its easier to do in a separate thread.

So here I am....

21stamps

Original Poster
Ha ha! That is just cruel. Yes, Turkish Delights are quite gross. My DD15 was obsessing about them after watching Narnia. For whatever reason the movie made them sound like they actually were delightful. I knew the truth though and told her basically what they were and their consistency which I find revolting.

Was this 2015? We were there the same time! :)

Don't be too hard on yourself. You cannot say yes to everything. Though now I see why you went with a gift card for the 2016 trip.;)

Yes, 2015! Did your kids complain about the heat? This Epcot day was on 9/9/15 It was the only day that it didn't heavily rain, and it was the most hot and humid of them all.

Omg I bought soooo much on this 2015 trip. I had over 10 packages to pick up when we arrived home.lol. Most of the stuff he hasn't touched since then. I just gave away his Mr Potato Head (from Disney Springs) to my nephew.

MySmallWorldof4

Yes, 2015! Did your kids complain about the heat? This Epcot day was on 9/9/15 It was the only day that it didn't heavily rain, and it was the most hot and humid of them all.

Omg I bought soooo much on this 2015 trip. I had over 10 packages to pick up when we arrived home.lol. Most of the stuff he hasn't touched since then. I just gave away his Mr Potato Head (from Disney Springs) to my nephew.
I don't remember hearing more complaining then normal. We did have a double. Sometimes 2 kids would ride in it at times and one of the little ones would sit on DH's stroller. We also spend a lot of time in AC when it is hot. We never spend a whole day in a park. We usually do mornings in one park and then leave around lunchtime. We may drive around in the car sightseeing or go back to the room to relax. We may go back to a park in the evening or hang by the pool. We have tried to be more relaxed on our trips. Since that was our third trip that year we didn't feel like being commandos.

mlegerto

She talks to me, talks some sense in to me. Tells me to CHILL OUT (in so many words), and just enjoy...and remember that this is about him.
Me "of course it's about him!! All of this is FOR HIM!!"
Her "then act like it. Start listening to him. He doesn't know what he's missing. You can't cram your lifetime of experiences into his first trip. Slow down. Missing a parade isn't the end of the world, cancelling a meal isn't the end of the world, just enjoy your time together and do what you can. Get your head out of your phone...it is Disney World, don't take the fun out of it"...
She said a lot more words.. all of them true.

I calm down.
I wash my face.
I walk back out in the room.

T is sound asleep.
I crawl in bed and hold him close to me. Things are going to change right now.

I do not have children so I cannot really relate....but gosh is your kid smart! He's already realized that rushing around and running from thing to thing isn't worth it if you aren't having fun. Reading this made me want to cry - I can only image how you must have felt when calling your mum. You're got one smart mum tho, no truer words have ever been spoken. Sounds like you've learned to be a great mum from one of the best!

Although not pleasant at the time I am sure, so cute that the two of you were just able to take a moment to get back on the same page. Can't wait to hear more!

We get our photo taken on Main Street. I'm actually showing a real smile! So is he!!
img_2155-jpg.193122

HOW.FREAKING.CUTE. You'd never guess that a few hours earlier you were both sobbing uncontrollably. Sounds like getting back on the same page is what you needed!

21stamps

Original Poster
I don't remember hearing more complaining then normal. We did have a double. Sometimes 2 kids would ride in it at times and one of the little ones would sit on DH's stroller. We also spend a lot of time in AC when it is hot. We never spend a whole day in a park. We usually do mornings in one park and then leave around lunchtime. We may drive around in the car sightseeing or go back to the room to relax. We may go back to a park in the evening or hang by the pool. We have tried to be more relaxed on our trips. Since that was our third trip that year we didn't feel like being commandos.

That's smart. Epcot was our only planned full park day. I seriously believe that if I would have used the stroller in WS then he probably would have been fine. Instead, we walked from Soarin' to WS, and stayed in World Showcase for more than 5 hours, not really going inside anywhere..unless you count the open air area of Tangerine Cafe. The shops were all open, one in Morocco was inside though.

I do not have children so I cannot really relate....but gosh is your kid smart! He's already realized that rushing around and running from thing to thing isn't worth it if you aren't having fun. Reading this made me want to cry - I can only image how you must have felt when calling your mum. You're got one smart mum tho, no truer words have ever been spoken. Sounds like you've learned to be a great mum from one of the best!

Although not pleasant at the time I am sure, so cute that the two of you were just able to take a moment to get back on the same page. Can't wait to hear more!

HOW.FREAKING.CUTE. You'd never guess that a few hours earlier you were both sobbing uncontrollably. Sounds like getting back on the same page is what you needed!

Thank you! My mother is a smart lady..even though I'm old now, I still need her advice sometimes.lol

Last edited:

MySmallWorldof4

That's smart. Epcot was our only planned full park day. I seriously believe that if I would have used the stroller in WS then he probably would have been fine. Instead, we walked from Soarin' to WS, and stayed in World Showcase for more 5 hours, not really going inside anywhere..unless you count the open air area of Tangerine Cafe. The shops were all open, one in Morocco was inside though.

Thank you! My mother is a smart lady..even though I'm old now, I still need her advice sometimes.lol
Maybe a hat would have helped T? I know that for whatever reason if I wear a hat when it is super sunny, I can tolerate the heat more. But then would T want to wear a hat with his beautiful couffed hair?;)

21stamps

Original Poster
Maybe a hat would have helped T? I know that for whatever reason if I wear a hat when it is super sunny, I can tolerate the heat more. But then would T want to wear a hat with his beautiful couffed hair?;)
I brought 4 hats for him!! We took one to Epcot with us. He said that it made his head sweat worse, so didn't wear it.

21stamps

Original Poster
Hey LOOK! We got dessert back then..not just a cookie in a cup like we did in '16 ;)
IMG_0349.JPG

Ok so, we've been in AC, we met a bunch of characters, surely T will want to stay for Illuminations, right?

Nope.

"Mommy please, please can we just go on Spaceship Earth, and then go back to the hotel. I just want to swim. Please, mommy."

But..but... BUT.. WE ARE AT DISNEY WORLD!!!
I kept myself in check and did not say that out loud.
I think about the convo with my mom yesterday..and....
Here's what I said- (thru clenched teeth)
"Ok, T. Let's go on Spaceship Earth, then we'll go back and swim."

I'm defeated. :( I'll do it his way.
IMG_0353.JPG

No pics, but, We go to Spaceship Earth. He loved it!

And then we go to the monorail. But first, I stop for an overpriced light toy. We already have maybe 4 of them from our amusement park "But mommy, THIS one is from Disney."
"Fine. We'll get it T."

He's happy.

IMG_2220.JPG

He hasn't played with this thing since the trip..but he loved it that night.

IMG_0356.JPG

Waiting for the monorail..

IMG_0366.JPG

He did turn it off while we were actually on the monorail..

Then right back on as soon as we arrived back at Poly..

IMG_0368.JPG

We head straight to the room to change into our bathing suits.

I'm sad, I think he would have loved Illuminations.. but I'm trying to just have a zen look on my face and roll with it.

MySmallWorldof4

Hey LOOK! We got dessert back then..not just a cookie in a cup like we did in '16 ;)
View attachment 193718

Ok so, we've been in AC, we met a bunch of characters, surely T will want to stay for Illuminations, right?

Nope.

"Mommy please, please can we just go on Spaceship Earth, and then go back to the hotel. I just want to swim. Please, mommy."

But..but... BUT.. WE ARE AT DISNEY WORLD!!!
I kept myself in check and did not say that out loud.
I think about the convo with my mom yesterday..and....
Here's what I said- (thru clenched teeth)
"Ok, T. Let's go on Spaceship Earth, then we'll go back and swim."

I'm defeated. :( I'll do it his way.
View attachment 193720

No pics, but, We go to Spaceship Earth. He loved it!

And then we go to the monorail. But first, I stop for an overpriced light toy. We already have maybe 4 of them from our amusement park "But mommy, THIS one is from Disney."
"Fine. We'll get it T."

He's happy.

View attachment 193719

He hasn't played with this thing since the trip..but he loved it that night.

View attachment 193721

Waiting for the monorail..

View attachment 193722

He did turn it off while we were actually on the monorail..

Then right back on as soon as we arrived back at Poly..

View attachment 193723

We head straight to the room to change into our bathing suits.

I'm sad, I think he would have loved Illuminations.. but I'm trying to just have a zen look on my face and roll with it.
We have the same toy. It still gets played with once in a while. But the last time I tried it the batteries were dead. Did I replace them? No, because I hate replacing batteries because nowadays you always need a screwdriver and that is another hassle. :)And it never made sense that they could wear out when the toy isn't something constantly used.
I always say that I am going to bring some of the other light toys with us so I won't need to buy new ones, but then forget. Got lucky the last couple of trips. DD6 was the only one who wanted a light toy. It was the bubble light up toy. That was a hit

21stamps

Original Poster
We have the same toy. It still gets played with once in a while. But the last time I tried it the batteries were dead. Did I replace them? No, because I hate replacing batteries because nowadays you always need a screwdriver and that is another hassle. :)And it never made sense that they could wear out when the toy isn't something constantly used.
I always say that I am going to bring some of the other light toys with us so I won't need to buy new ones, but then forget. Got lucky the last couple of trips. DD6 was the only one who wanted a light toy. It was the bubble light up toy. That was a hit

Ha ha!! I haven't checked to see if ours still works, I doubt it.

They were selling them right where you returned the strollers. They would have never got me otherwise.lol. I always try to avoid those things.. we have too many!!! We have a rule now- ONE per summer. Only ONE.

I am so horrible.. at WDW and at our amusement park, I have never let him have a bubble blower. He has one at home..just a boring one from Toys R US, not a fancy park one, and he never uses it. So, every time he asks, I tell him No.
He does a pout face, and chases all of the other kids' bubble blowers.lol

#meanmom

21stamps

Original Poster
Alright guys, here's another embarrassing confession-
I was annoyed with my own child.

We were changing into our suits. He was excitedly talking about the volcano slide..
And all I could think of was- we left Epcot with only 1 more hour til Illuminations!! Why didn't we stay?? I should have made him stay. He would have loved it! Why did I come back to swim in a stupid pool? We could do this anytime! I didn't come to Disney to leave the park and just swim!!!

I know my face looked unhappy. He noticed it.

My son, the one I was completely annoyed with, ran up to me and gave me a hug. A tight one. Then he says "Thank you for coming back to the hotel, Mommy."

What is wrong with me???
This trip is FOR HIM.
He doesn't seem to care about Illuminations. He just wants a pool right now.

I squeezed him tightly and said "Come on, let's go to the pool. I'll go down the volcano slide with you. Who's first?"

T squeals- "Yes!! You go first. On your belly."

So, this 38 year old embarrassed and guilt ridden mother went down the volcano slide..on her belly. As my son laughed hysterically.
IMG_0377.JPG

T went next..and maybe 10 more times..
IMG_0380.JPG

Then we walked out to the beach, and this starts..

IMG_0372.JPG

21stamps

Original Poster
T says "Let's go watch the fireworks from the pool, while we're floating on our backs!"

Ok. T. Let's go!

Turns out, a 5 year old was a lot smarter than his mother. This night ended up being my favorite of our entire stay.
Watching the EWP and Wishes while swimming with my child- Priceless.
Much better than any "must do" show that I thought was imperative for him to see.

He was right. I was wrong.

Lesson learned.

IMG_0428.JPG

IMG_0388.JPG
IMG_0396.JPG
IMG_0418.JPG
IMG_0432.JPG
IMG_0440.JPG

MySmallWorldof4

My son, the one I was completely annoyed with, ran up to me and gave me a hug. A tight one. Then he says "Thank you for coming back to the hotel, Mommy."
Awww!!You have such a sweet and again very observant little boy! You are very lucky! Hmm I think we need to get our 6 year olds together. ;):)

So, this 38 year old embarrassed and guilt mother went down the volcano slide..on her belly.
Hey! You are not allowed to go down on your belly at a Disney resort. Feet first and on your back. ;)

21stamps

Original Poster
Awww!!You have such a sweet and again very observant little boy! You are very lucky! Hmm I think we need to get our 6 year olds together. ;):)

Hey! You are not allowed to go down on your belly at a Disney resort. Feet first and on your back. ;)

Ha ha, he has his moments...in either direction.. ;)

I know. I got yelled at, only once... So did T, quite a few times.lol

MySmallWorldof4

T says "Let's go watch the fireworks from the pool, while we're floating on our backs!"

Ok. T. Let's go!

Turns out, a 5 year old was a lot smarter than his mother. This night ended up being my favorite of our entire stay.
Watching the EWP and Wishes while swimming with my child- Priceless.
Much better than any "must do" show that I thought was imperative for him to see.

He was right. I was wrong.

Lesson learned.

View attachment 193734

View attachment 193735 View attachment 193736 View attachment 193737 View attachment 193738 View attachment 193739
Wow! What a great view of the fireworks!

21stamps

Original Poster
We swam for another hour or so, T played in the splash area for a bit, we stayed until the pool closed.
We both had so much fun that night!

Rule breaker ;). I did reprimand him though @MySmallWorldof4 lol
IMG_0441.JPG

Now he's going down correctly..

IMG_0442.JPG

IMG_0445.JPG

We walk back to our room and say good night to the little Duck Family. They were right outside of Tuvalu, every night. T thought it was "super cool" and talked to them nightly.

IMG_0370.JPG

The music is still playing and I can hear voices from Trader Sam's.
This day was ending in perfection. :)
IMG_0447.JPG

Time to go up to the room. I know we'll both fall asleep quickly.
IMG_0450.JPG

Tomorrow's Plans- Magic Kingdom.
These plans may not happen..

MySmallWorldof4

We swam for another hour or so, T played in the splash area for a bit, we stayed until the pool closed.
We both had so much fun that night!

Rule breaker ;). I did reprimand him though @MySmallWorldof4 lol
View attachment 193742

Now he's going down correctly..

View attachment 193743

View attachment 193744

We walk back to our room and say good night to the little Duck Family. They were right outside of Tuvalu, every night. T thought it was "super cool" and talked to them nightly.

View attachment 193745

The music is still playing and I can hear voices from Trader Sam's.
This day was ending in perfection. :)
View attachment 193746

Time to go up to the room. I know we'll both fall asleep quickly.
View attachment 193747

Tomorrow's Plans- Magic Kingdom.
These plans may not happen..
Little T's plan changes made for a great night! Much more relaxing then fighting with the late night crowds after fireworks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom