Trip Report The mistakes that I learned from..Trip back in time..

Friends, I've been thinking,

I need a major distraction, and also, I received too many compliments for my laid back style..
I'm going to continue on the trip report binge and do a comparison of our 2015 trip here. It won't be as long.. I promise. If you want to follow along with my madness, you are welcome. I've had a rough past few days and need something to keep me busy.

So here it goes.. first I should change the title though..
ETA- actually its easier to do in a separate thread.

So here I am....

21stamps

Original Poster
We go to check in to our kayak tour.

We were informed that the seas were very rough, but we could still go.
Based on T's meltdown a short time ago.. I decide to nix the kayaking in the rain and waves.

Instead, I think we need to walk out on our pier and chat about why he had that little meltdown.

We sit and look for turtles.. we did see a huge one! We talked, he said he didn't really want to go home, but he thought we were coming to swim and go in the ocean.
"Are you not having fun T? We can do whatever you want right now. You pick something, we'll do it."

"I am having fun, Mommy. I'm just tired of the rain. And sometimes, when I'm tired of everything, I just cry. I can't help it. I'm sorry."

I hugged him, tightly. I think I was very over ambitious with this vacation, it was a long one, I packed too much in, and I accidentally broke too many promises.

Life lesson for both of us. Best laid plans don't always work out.

"T, now that we aren't doing the kayaking, we can go to the lighthouse and other museums. Then we'll see if we can still jet ski later."

"Yes, that sounds fun!"

"Ok. Let's go!"

We both noticed that the sun was starting to shine, I asked if he wanted to swim now.

"No, I'd like to go see the lighthouse first."

"Ok."

Off we go!

IMG_2113.JPG

21stamps

Original Poster
We arrive at the Lighthouse.

T absolutely loved it. We bought a few souvenirs and books here, and spent the next few months learning about lighthouses around the country.

IMG_2116.JPG

Up the 88 stair spiral staircase we go...

IMG_2671.JPG

IMG_2134.JPG

The porthole views on the way were so pretty..

IMG_2142.JPG

And.. the top...breathtaking.

T swears that he spotted a pirate ship ;)

IMG_2152.JPG

We stay up there for awhile, pointing out all of the sights, a 360 view of the entire island, and looking for ships. Talking about how important a lighthouse was to ships back then...and make our way back down to the museum house.

First with a stop at the most gorgeous Banyan Tree.

IMG_2672.JPG
IMG_2673.JPG

My silly, fun loving kid is definitely back. :)

IMG_2178.JPG

MySmallWorldof4

Today's Plans-
Breakfast at a donut shop.
Get on the water- kayak, jet ski.
Swim at our hotel.
Sunset champagne cruise.

Let's start from the top- the Donut shop.

There's a place in Key West called "Glazed Donuts". It's incredible, I've never had a donut like these anywhere else. Everything is made from scratch, the coffee is insanely delicious, just wonderful.

If you're thinking that I'm strange for going on about donuts... I challenge you to try one, your life will never be the same. ;)

I've told T about this shop and he's been excited to go there. We haven't been on Duval the past few mornings due to the rain, but today was the day!!

We were a little bummed by this-

View attachment 197991

But the rain was light, so we were willing to walk around in it.

We arrive to Glazed Donuts...

View attachment 197992

WHAT???????
Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!
No. Just No!!!!

T goes from excited to tears. Literally started crying. I think it was just a combination of all of the disappointments. But there we were, standing on Eaton St, in the rain, my kid crying, and me just staring with a blank look on my face.

I pull it together and tell him we will go someplace even better. No, he's still crying.
Come on, T.. he says "I just want to go home!"

What? Home? Why? This is THE BEST vacation ever!!!

"No it isn't. You told me we were going to get donuts. We can't even get donuts! We can't even do anything that you say!"

Luckily, the majority of people on the island are still probably nursing hangovers, so our audience was small.
But I was humiliated, sad, frustrated.

"T, it's just a donut, let's go. I'm going to take you to my favorite place..there's donuts there too. They're the best!"

"No. I want these donuts! You told me they were the best!"

Once again, I don't even recognize myself or my son. This is NOT us! What have I done to us???

I grab his hand and take him walking with me, in the rain, while he's crying.
He finally stops crying.

We get to Croissants de France, and he cheers up.

We don't need you Glazed Donuts, enjoy your vacay.. we are eating delicious fresh baked from scratch French pastries and French pressed coffee. ;)

Anyway, this is place is amazing, and a staple for me..luckily T agreed after walking in.

View attachment 197993
Unreal!! What were the odds of that???:confused: Like @Courtney6682 said it almost makes you want to laugh. But I won't!:D

MySmallWorldof4

We arrive at the Lighthouse.

T absolutely loved it. We bought a few souvenirs and books here, and spent the next few months learning about lighthouses around the country.

View attachment 197996

Up the 88 stair spiral staircase we go...

View attachment 197997
View attachment 197998

The porthole views on the way were so pretty..

View attachment 197999

And.. the top...breathtaking.

T swears that he spotted a pirate ship ;)

View attachment 198000

We stay up there for awhile, pointing out all of the sights, a 360 view of the entire island, and looking for ships. Talking about how important a lighthouse was to ships back then...and make our way back down to the museum house.

First with a stop at the most gorgeous Banyan Tree.

View attachment 198001 View attachment 198002

My silly, fun loving kid is definitely back. :)

View attachment 198003
What is the place called with all the statues? Looks like you had a really fun day! Finally!!:)

21stamps

Original Poster
Unreal!! What were the odds of that???:confused: Like @Courtney6682 said it almost makes you want to laugh. But I won't!:D
I know!!!! As annoyed as I was with my son's mini breakdown.. I honestly wanted to cry too!! Not even the small plans were working out!

What is the place called with all the statues? Looks like you had a really fun day! Finally!!:)

The statues are at the lighthouse museum.. we do the shipwreck museum and aquarium next.

LisaBelle

So sorry your trip had so many bumps in the road. It certainly sounds like you made the best of it. T is very lucky that you put so much thought and planning into your trip. It is sooooo hard to find that balance between packing in too much and being stressed and being pleasantly busy. I think we've all been there. During our first trip to Disney I should have listened to my son when he said he was hot and just wanted to leave AK. I pushed and said we should just go get ice cream and recharge and we'd be ready for our next adventure (funny how now I can't even tell you what I was so worried about missing). As you can imagine, about 20 minutes later there was a meltdown and we had to cut our losses and head back to the hotel. It took hours for all of us to recover from our misery! As you say, we learn from our mistakes and move on. On our next Disney trip when there was a heat index of 105 on our AK day and our son & daughter both said they were too hot and wanted to go back to the hotel, I started to try to convince them to stay just a little while longer. Luckily a little voice in my head, and then the more insistent rational voice of my husband, reminded me of what happened last time. I forced a happy face and we left and went for a swim. :) Thanks for sharing your experiences. It's nice to know we over planners are not alone!

21stamps

Original Poster
So sorry your trip had so many bumps in the road. It certainly sounds like you made the best of it. T is very lucky that you put so much thought and planning into your trip. It is sooooo hard to find that balance between packing in too much and being stressed and being pleasantly busy. I think we've all been there. During our first trip to Disney I should have listened to my son when he said he was hot and just wanted to leave AK. I pushed and said we should just go get ice cream and recharge and we'd be ready for our next adventure (funny how now I can't even tell you what I was so worried about missing). As you can imagine, about 20 minutes later there was a meltdown and we had to cut our losses and head back to the hotel. It took hours for all of us to recover from our misery! As you say, we learn from our mistakes and move on. On our next Disney trip when there was a heat index of 105 on our AK day and our son & daughter both said they were too hot and wanted to go back to the hotel, I started to try to convince them to stay just a little while longer. Luckily a little voice in my head, and then the more insistent rational voice of my husband, reminded me of what happened last time. I forced a happy face and we left and went for a swim. :) Thanks for sharing your experiences. It's nice to know we over planners are not alone!

Thank you for sharing that! I need to remember all of this in the future.

21stamps

Original Poster
We finish the lighthouse and walk to a kiosk to check if the jet ski tour was still running..

It was, but again I was warned of rough seas. The barker suggested that I let T ride in front of me, I don't know if my arms are long enough, and that didn't sound too comfortable for a 90 minute ride around the island. I asked T if he could hold on tight to me, he said yes.

A light rain was starting, so we decided to drive instead of walk.

We stopped so a chicken could cross the road..

IMG_2187.JPG

We went to check in, but as I looked at the water, I had my doubts. I didn't really want to have my son fly off the back if I hit a wave.

We cancelled.

It's ok. Tomorrow is Dry Tortugas. Our last day, and we're going out with a bang.

Time to learn about Wrecking..

IMG_2680.JPG

We stopped at a palm leaf weaver first. The guy made a Bird for T. He was thrilled.
He had to show it to our tour guide.lol

IMG_2685.JPG

IMG_2686.JPG

I hadn't been to this museum in maybe 15 years, I forgot how neat it was. We spent quite a bit of time in there, and then climbed the tower to look for ships.

IMG_2326.JPG
IMG_2331.JPG
IMG_2677.JPG

IMG_2350.JPG

T spotted a wreck! ;) he had to run down and ring the bell.

IMG_2342.JPG

21stamps

Original Poster
The shipwreck museum sounds like fun! And I love ye olde frock the guide was wearing! @21stamps
They were perfectly in character the entire time!
I'm trying to NOT post so many pics.. but I don't know how to scale them down.lol. This is the part of Key West that I think gets overlooked..all of the museums. They really are neat! I'm complaining about the water sports, and I was sad..but there is still so much to see. I just thought we would be doing both.
I'm almost done.. I've realized that I have wayyy too many photos in iCloud. Even after the deleted favorites. Ha ha

21stamps

Original Poster
We walked around Mallory Square and shipped for souvenirs. I love this place. Steel drums playing in the background, I wasn't letting the 2 self cancelled tours get to me. We're still here, in my beloved Key West, and we were both enjoying this day.

My phone rings. It's a 305 area code but not a number that I recognize.

"Hello"

"Hi this is (some girl) at Key West Charters."

"Hi."

"I'm calling because unfortunately there is a storm on the radar. We have cancelled all flights for tomorrow. I can check availability for another day."

"Tomorrow is our last day. We leave late afternoon tomorrow." (I may or may not have sounded frantic)

"I'm sorry to hear that. You will get a full refund due to the cancellation on our end."

I think that I may have started hyperventilating. I felt like I had been punched in the gut.

"Do you know if the Ferry is still running?"

"I think so. You may want to give them a call."

"Ok, thank you."

O. M. G.

I couldn't. I went and sat down for a moment. I couldn't even process this.
The highlight of the ENTIRE vacation was the Seaplane and Dry Tortugas!!! I booked it 2 months ago!!!

Plan B. We'll take the Ferry.
I call.
"Yes, as of now we are still scheduled. Just so you know, we do depart in the rain. We are not sure if we will definitely go out tomorrow, but as of now we haven't cancelled."

"Will I get a refund if it's a weather cancellation on your end?"

"If we depart the dock there will not be a refund, even if we have to turn around. If we cancel before then, you will get a full refund."

Hmmm. Do I want to risk that amount of money when potentially we could just end up on a boat in rain and rough seas and never even make it?

I have to.

"Ok. I'm going to do it. 2 people, please."

I'm deflated. But, there's a chance that it will all work out. I didn't even want to tell T yet.
He was happily chasing chickens.lol

I'll deal with discussing the situation later.

IMG_2698.JPG

21stamps

Original Poster
T plays by a fountain while I scan the vicinity for an adult beverage.

IMG_2263.JPG

"Hey T, walk with me real quick. We're just going a half a block and will come right back."

I go to Smallest Bar and order a Rum Runner. When in Rome,right? It's 5:00 somewhere.

(Stole this pic from google)
Yeah, my kid stood outside of a bar while I ordered a drink. The weather has driven me to this ;). I'll accept the Mother of the Year Award at any time.

IMG_2699.JPG

We walk back to Mallory Square and ship a few Rum Cakes to family, shop at the Sponge Market, Chat with a Captain, and order some delicious Conch Fritters.

IMG_2700.JPG

IMG_2701.JPG

Time for the Aquarium!

IMG_2410.JPG
IMG_2406.JPG

Once again, I thank God that a shark didn't see my bleeding knee and hand a few days earlier...lol

Last edited:

21stamps

Original Poster
The Key West Aquarium is small, but wonderful.

We got up close and personal with some marine life..even if it was in a controlled environment :(. T fed the sharks inside and outside.

IMG_2702.JPG

IMG_2703.JPG

IMG_2512.JPG
IMG_2704.JPG

And then... My Phone Died.

Lucky for you all because I can't post pics..unlucky for me because our sunset Cruise was in 1.5 hours and we had dinner plans first!!!!

21stamps

Original Poster
We didn't have time to go back to the hotel to freshen up and charge my phone.

We went to dinner exactly how we were dressed. It's KW, anything goes, right?lol

We ate at Half Shell Raw Bar. T had steamers and fresh oysters. I had crab and conch. T ate some of mine as well, I declined his offer to share his plates.

Now I'm frantically searching for an iPhone charger, I had hoped that our server, or some at the restaurant would have one- Of course not.

We stop in a store to inquire about a disposable camera. No? Ok.

I'm really freaking out now. We go check in to our Catamaran Cruise, and I ask if there's an iPhone charger there.

No, but they do sell a disposable camera for $25. Whatever. I'll take it.

We go on our NON Sunset Cruise.

At least we were on the water!!!!!
..and I had champagne.

(Here's the thing about disposable cameras, a few things-
1. They take horrible photos.
2. Walgreens ships them out to be developed.
I received our photos 2 weeks after returning home. They are HORRIBLE.)
So horrible that I've never even scanned them. I'll take a photo of the photos and share here. The coloring is Crazy Bad.

But, we had fun, even without a sunset :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom