The Mine Train 'temper your expectations' thread

dreamscometrue

Confused as to why people think WDW would have to build as quickly as Uni. Uni is in catch up mode, not WDW. If you go every other week to WDW and are now sick of their attractions, that seems to be a personal problem.

Yes, Uni hit gold with HP. We get it. But to be reactive to that and let that guide your business would be Disney's worst mistake yet.

This^^

Sped2424

I think the current rumor is that the witch will be seen in the entrance to the mine at the top of the first lift hill (an area not shown in the video). Who knows, though.
I think there is no witch sadly. However it would be pretty wicked if you stop at that first lift hill to look to the fake mine shaft and perhaps see a flash once illuminated you can make out her face leering at the ride vehicle in the shadow of that fake shaft, soon after her vultures set off that box thing to swing at you.

CTXRover

This video was shot sometime in mid-December 2013. You can see that only half of the cottage has a roof and the bridge over the main drop has a railing only on one side and the lights on the railing aren't there in the video. Looking through some construction pics, that would put the video shot somewhere around the week of December 9th.

I like these behind the scenes things they give us, but the unfortunate thing is some are thinking this is the final product and then extrapolate that the apparent 'cardboard cut-out' stand-ins are the final product (just like when they had one dimensional cut-out trees up by Beast's castle early in construction that people judged as the final product or how others felt the painted green mountain sections were the final product to represent grass....) IMO, I'd wait till it's finished to judge.

Mickey_777

If the the seven dwarfs themeselves (AA's) aren't on the level of their neighbors lumiere or sebastian or ursula, I'll be crazy dissappointed. It would make no sense at all to have old school dark ride style animated figures inside the mountain. Whatever your opinion of NFL is, you can't argue that the AA's haven't been mighty good.

Sped2424

If the the seven dwarfs themeselves (AA's) aren't on the level of their neighbors lumiere or sebastian or ursula, I'll be crazy dissappointed. It would make no sense at all to have old school dark ride style animated figures inside the mountain. Whatever your opinion of NFL is, you can't argue that the AA's haven't been mighty good.
The blueprints for those figures were leaked months ago, and in the cgi ride through of the ride the motion is extremely limited just a couple of back and forth movements. The only person claiming that its going to be anything otherwise is Disneyconstruction 23. To be fair he could be right, but that would be as Lee stated something that was done in the past 18 months to upgrade the animatronic figures, which I really doubt. I'd love to be wrong though.

sponono88

These are the pictures I got at the D23 expo.. They will have a pretty good range of motion but nothing too articulate like what we see with Ursula's AA

This Dopey figure will apparently have four functions: Head Nod, Head Tilt, Body Up/Down, and Ears Wiggle

imag6099_1_1-jpg.29318

imag6097_1_1-jpg.29803

imag6101_1_1-jpg.29319

MOXOMUMD

If they want to promote this new ride, IMHO they should experiment with a youtube-only ad. Adam the Woo, Kinsey, Draven (made up like Snow White of course), and friends -- any number of current, nearly, or formerly trespassed individuals file onto the ride. Once the ride starts, all heck breaks loose, lots of fast cuts, screaming on-ride, reacting to everything in a wild-eyed, "YEAH this rocks", gen-X rage. Speed metal music behind close-up reaction shots with weird lighting, making this out like a thrill ride or something dangerous. A "just kidding" reveal showing what they're seeing, the gem mine with Dwarfs animatronics, and that yes this is indeed a family friendly coaster. Everyone wearing Mickey ears w/ their names as they exit the ride, as if transformed by the experience. Ending caption "Spring 2014 - UN-trespass your way to the Magic".

No - of course that will NEVER, ever happen. Might amuse me, but maybe not the general public.

If we're lucky, we might get a 90 second super-ad premiering on Jimmy Kimmel and/or Disney Channel soon, then two chopped up 30 second ads and that feature different aspects of the super-ad. Families with perfect teeth, angular features, wearing pastel colors. A girl in a Snow White costume, a boy mouth agape as if to say "this is not a ride for princesses!". Snow White herself on the ride reacting to show scenes, hands on face saying "Oh". One of the Fab 5 on-ride with family going down the big outside drop. Family friendly, clean fun stuff.
That would totally amuse me! I know Adam would do it up right. :D

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Slight shift in topic (Sorry!)
Your last line highlights the key problem with these price hikes. Who are these target families? How has Disney corporate determined that these families can still afford to take 2 adults and 2.1 (or whatever the new number is) children to Disney? I know of so many typical middle class American families who state they cannot afford even one trip. Reasons are multiple, but almost all of them come down to being financially responsible about their futures. There is no reason a family should feel the need to take out a loan to go on vacation. A new kiddie coaster will not bring them out, I don't care who they have riding it in the commercial.
You assume Disney corporate cares if these families can afford their vacation? In my opinion WDW has been a luxury vacation that a large portion of its guests cannot afford for a while now. Current price hikes don't help, but they are not necessarily going to be a tipping point for a large number of visitors. It doesn't stop people from whipping out a credit card and charging their trip. It happens often and will continue to happen. I made this analogy in another thread: Disney markets WDW to these families the way Lexus and BMW market their cars to a mass audience. Make people feel like owning one of their cars is a sign of success and then saddle them with huge lease payments and crazy expensive repair bills. If they only marketed the cars to people who could truly "afford" them they would have a very small market. WDW is a right of passage for kids and even if a lot of working class families can't afford to visit every year they will save up and/or charge their trip.

Getting back to mine train, this is another attraction that will appeal to families with small kids. Low fear factor, mild intensity, low height restriction = family friendly ride (or if you are a bitter, full grown adult fanboy = kiddie coaster). In a lot of ways the MK is as good as it has ever been if you are a little kid (or the parent of one). They have no reason not to market this ride the same way as the rest of FLE.

jlsHouston

Exactly, it totally "fits" in FL. I remember when I took my kids to DL, and they were 8, 7 and 5 and the 8 and 7 year old never wanted to even enter FL, much less go on a ride. They considered it too babyish, so for the most part they roamed DL with their dad while I went on everthing in FL with the 5 year old. She is now 29 and to this day, Peter Pan is still her favorite ride.

Last edited:

ratherbeinwdw

FYI My Mickey monitor came today. They have a page on the mine train. It says, "You will find yourself on a rollicking, musical ride where a million diamonds shine. It's fast but family-friendly, and includes a one-of-a-kind train where cars will rock from side to side as you explore the mine." It says they are using the archive recordings of the original vocal cast of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and some new performances by Corey Burton and David Ogden Stiers. It also says that one of the two vultures--the latter one, appeared in the original Snow White's Scary Adventure.
It also says that you'll go into the mines where the Seven Dwarfs work just like in the movie, and experience what it's like to be deep underground where glimmering gems are your best friend.
Probably too much info, but I thought I'd share with those of you who don't get the monitor.

jlsHouston

FYI My Mickey monitor came today. They have a page on the mine train. It says, "You will find yourself on a rollicking, musical ride where a million diamonds shine. It's fast but family-friendly, and includes a one-of-a-kind train where cars will rock from side to side as you explore the mine." It says they are using the archive recordings of the original vocal cast of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and some new performances by Corey Burton and David Ogden Stiers. It also says that one of the two vultures--the latter one, appeared in the original Snow White's Scary Adventure.
It also says that you'll go into the mines where the Seven Dwarfs work just like in the movie, and experience what it's like to be deep underground where glimmering gems are your best friend.
Probably too much info, but I thought I'd share with those of you who don't get the monitor.

Oh boy now you got me going. I just googled Mickey Monitor and found out it's a newsletter mailed 4 times a year to AP holders and I have never gotten one...I am on the chat thing now with WDW

ratherbeinwdw

Oh boy now you got me going. I just googled Mickey Monitor and found out it's a newsletter mailed 4 times a year to AP holders and I have never gotten one...I am on the chat thing now with WDW
You can also go straight to it on the passholder area on the Disney site when you sign-in to your account. You can also read many of the older ones.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom