The Jungle Book

Disneyfanman

Original Poster
The first 12 reviews are posted to Rottentomatoes.com and it sits at 100% Fresh! I know it's early but still impressive. Disney seems to be on quite a roll.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
And just like that, it's getting a sequel

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/jungle-book-2-jon-favreau-1201750384/
Disney is developing a sequel to “The Jungle Book,” which opens Friday in the U.S.

The studio is talks with director Jon Favreau and screenwriter Justin Marks to return for “Jungle Book 2.”

The live-action-CG hybrid is expected to dominate the domestic market this weekend. Critics have embraced the movie with some of the best reviews of the year for a studio production.

“The Jungle Book” grossed $28.9 million in a number of Asian and Latin American territories, including $7.6 million from India, the second highest industry opening for an American release. It also grossed $6.2 million in Russia, $2.6 million in Australia.

Besides the U.S. launch on Friday, “The Jungle Book” will also debut this weekend in China, Brazil, France and Mexico.

The movie is based on the Rudyard Kipling stories about Mowgli, a human boy who becomes friends with jungle animals after being raised by wolves. Disney released an animated version in 1967.

Favreau’s film includes Bill Murray voicing Baloo the bear, Ben Kingsley as Begheera the panther, Scarlet Johansson as Kaa the snake and Lupita Nyong’o as Raksha the mother wolf. Newcomer Neel Sethi stars as Mowgli.

The news was first reported by The Hollywood Reporter.

Phroobar

Hopefully its as good as the animated version.

p31394_p_v8_ab.jpg

Magenta Panther

Hopefully its as good as the animated version.

p31394_p_v8_ab.jpg

Now, that movie was pretty good for a sequel, except that it made no sense that the little girl and her brother could understand and speak to Baloo and Bagheera as well as Mowgli could. Mowgli was brought up in the jungle by jungle animals, but the girl and boy weren't, so how...? That really took me out of the movie for a while.

prberk

I'll be curious to see if they still use Walt Disney's own ending. It was one of the last things he did. They could not figure out a good ending, as the Disney story was an adaptation of so many blended together from Rudyard Kipling's original series of stories. When the writers were having trouble, Walt, it is told, said to give it to him and he would come up with something... which turned out to be to use the attraction of the girl to turn Mowgli's attention out of the forest and into the man-village for good. It made cute ending to the animated version. Wonder what they will do here.

FigmentForver96

Just got back from seeing it and honestly it was probably the best live action film I've seen by far. The scenes were beautiful and the acting was superb. It had a very great classic feel to it, like something Walt Disney would have helped done. The music was amazing and the little nod at the end was very nice. (No spoilers here). If you haven't seen this movie you need to make plans to do so!

Disney Analyst

I also absolutely loved it! Saw it in IMAX 3D as well, and it was truly spectacular! One of the most impressive films I have ever seen. Such gorgeous animation, and it looked so real! Bravo Disney! Really hit this one out of the park, definitely the best Live-Action Remake yet! This gets me so excited for Beauty and the Beast!!

RobUK

Gorgeous film, a great story, and well acted by the little kid. 8/10 for me, potentially rising to 9 following rewatch when it gets on telly.

Donaldfan1934

I saw it last night and here's what I thought.

What they got right: I loved the hand drawn Disney logo at the beginning. The visuals were stunning, the 3D was great, the action scenes were very well done, the wolf family was good and cute, most of the characters were well cast and despite King Louie being a very different character from the beloved original, you can't go wrong with Christopher Walken in any role. I loved how Mowgli summoned him with a cowbell. The end credits sequence was fun as well.

What they got wrong: Kaa shouldn't have been gender swapped, but "she" wasn't in the movie much, so the exposition footage that "she" gives could've been shown with Bagheera's narration at the beginning. Also, Bill Murray just didn't work as Baloo. They changed him from a lovable, jolly, father/brother type figure into a surly con-artist and whatever charm he or the relationship between him and Mowgli was gone from this movie. I know that this is a very different movie, but completely missing the point and purpose of Baloo was a big mistake making the movie loose much of the heart that the original had.

Overall, I enjoyed the movie a lot, it just missed a few key things, particularly on the Baloo front, that really kept the movie from different yet equal to the original for me.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom