The Imagineer's Workshop

DinoInstitute

When it comes to graphic designing ad art online, I usually use Paint, although it isn't to professional. Inkscape is better, but I can't figure out how to upload images onto the computer using it. I tried Art on Google Drive today, and it is ok. What do you all recommend, and the plus/negatives of each?
Good deal. I'll talk about some things later (video editing), but not right now. For obvious reasons. :p
Can we get some advice this soon, or maybe PM me a few things if you aren't too busy?:)

Figments Friend

-

I guess i am a 'old school' WED-head...as i use paper, pencil, ink, and paint with my hands to create artwork, models, and animated figures.

No computer programs.
No digital stuff.
Just the 'traditional' way.

A example some here may enjoy -

This is a hand drawn, hand painted t-shirt depicting Tony Baxter's famous concept art for 'Discovery Bay'.

How was it done with the above tools..?

A photo to help explain the creative process for this particular project -

Top right -
A small copy of the original watercolor painting done by Tony Baxter is used as a reference for the line drawing version, and the eventual painting process to come.

Top left -
A black and white line drawing is made by hand that captures most of the elements from the original painting.
A title 'banner' and Disneyland Logo is added to the drawing to create the finished intended shirt design.
The black and white line drawing is then used as a guide to hand trace this same image onto the fabric of a t-shirt in permanent ink marker.
This is accomplished by using a home made 'light box' which shines a bright light from behind a clear surface, to which the line drawing is taped.
The shirt fabric is stretched over it and tracing can begin.

Bottom center -
Once the line drawing is traced onto the shirt, painting begins in earnest with special flexible fabric paints.
For this particular shirt, all 36+ colors were custom mixed by hand based on the hues from the original watercolor painting reference.
On either side of the finished shirt shown, are two of the many folded pieces of paper used as 'palettes' to mix the various needed colors.

Applied in layers, starting with a 'base color', different shades of mixed paint are applied and details are built up after many applications.
The end result is a permanent, non-fading, non-cracking/peeling graphic on the shirt.

Total time to make this particular shirt, from start to finish was about a week.

Last edited:

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster
-

I guess i am a 'old school' WED-head...as i use paper, pencil, ink, and paint with my hands to create artwork, models, and animated figures.

No computer programs.
No digital stuff.

This is a hand drawn, hand painted t-shirt depicting Tony Baxter's famous concept art for 'Discovery Bay'.

Top right -
A small copy of the original watercolor painting done by Tony Baxter is used as a reference for the line drawing version, and the eventual painting process to come.

Top left -
A black and white line drawing is made by hand that captures most of the elements from the original painting.
A title 'banner' and Disneyland Logo is added to the drawing to create the finished intended shirt design.
The black and white line drawing is then used as a guide to hand trace this same image onto the fabric of a t-shirt in permanent ink marker.

Bottom center -
Once the line drawing is traced onto the shirt, painting begins in earnest with special flexible fabric paints.
For this particular shirt, all 36+ colors were custom mixed by hand based on the hues from the original watercolor painting reference.
On either side of the finished shirt shown, are two of the many folded pieces of paper used as 'palettes' to mix the various needed colors.

Applied in layers, starting with a 'base color', different shades of mixed paint are applied and details are built up after many applications.
The end result is a permanent, non-fading, non-cracking/peeling graphic on the shirt.

Total time to make this particular shirt, from start to finish was about a week.
That is incredible work!

Voxel

President of Progress City
-

No computer programs.
No digital stuff.

Top right -

Top left -

Bottom center -

I don't have the ability to draw.. So I am really impressed.

Figments Friend

-

For those interested -

A photographic example of the process to trace the line drawing onto fabric using a home made 'light box'.

This particular shirt design was extremely complicated, as the line drawing shows.
It was a 'Baxterland' themed design done in honor of a certain Imagineer ya'all may have heard of......

Above you can see the ink lines being traced directly onto the fabric.

A copy of the original line drawing for this design is shown below my hand.
This is used to insure every minute detail is redrawn on the fabric, as often when a image is this complex some of the smaller details are not easily visible from though the fabric.

Last edited:

MonorailRed

Applebees
-

No computer programs.
No digital stuff.

Top right -

Top left -
This is accomplished by using a home made 'light box' which shines a bright light from behind a clear surface, to which the line drawing is taped.
The shirt fabric is stretched over it and tracing can begin.

Bottom center -

Seriously - Spectacular work!

The Discovery Bay Coloring looks spot on! I love it!

Figments Friend

Seriously - Spectacular work!

The Discovery Bay Coloring looks spot on! I love it!

Thank you! That means a lot to me as a artist to hear you say this.
I worked very hard on trying to capture the correct hues, and more importantly, try to capture the feeling of it being a 'watercolor' work even though it was being done with thick fabric paint.

The sky was recreated by using a lot of water applied to the shirt immediately after painting....to 'bleed' the color into the fabric, similar to what one can do with watercolors.

The shirt looks even better in person, but is nothing when compared to Mr. Baxter's amazing original effort.
His 40 year old concept art still impresses and when you see it up close, the detailing is incredible...especially when you take into account it is a watercolor...a medium SO difficult to control on paper!

MonorailRed

Applebees
Thank you! That means a lot to me as a artist to hear you say this.
I worked very hard on trying to capture the correct hues, and more importantly, try to capture the feeling of it being a 'watercolor' work even though it was being done with thick fabric paint.

The sky was recreated by using a lot of water applied to the shirt immediately after painting....to 'bleed' the color into the fabric, similar to what one can do with watercolors.

The shirt looks even better in person, but is nothing when compared to Mr. Baxter's amazing original effort.
His 40 year old concept art still impresses and when you see it up close, the detailing is incredible...especially when you take into account it is a watercolor...a medium SO difficult to control on paper!

I love Baxter's work in general! I've really been looking into Splash and Big Thunder lately….

I think you really did Discovery Bay justice….It really has watercolor painting feel to it - not a "Printed Image on a t-shirt" look that you see a lot. I really enjoy that about it!

Figments Friend

-

Here is the finished "Baxterland" design i created, fully painted.
It features all of Tony's most famous Attractions in one scenic image, plus a logo i created based on the classic Disneyland font.
The 'Nautilus' was added as a nod to his involvement in WDWs '20,000 Leagues Under The Sea' Attraction, and his own personal fondness for the Submarine.

This was created with the exact same process as the previously shared 'Discovery Bay' shirt, but took twice as long to make ( two weeks total ).

There was some special attention given to it during the painting process, which included adding some special iridescent paint ( logo, Star Speeder ), metallic tones ( Sub, Dream Catcher), and fine grain sparkling glitter in a few key spots to create movement ( logo, around Dream Catcher, behind BTMR trains' wheels, Splash Mountain water, Star Speeder rocket flares ).
The awkward angle this photo was taken for was to specifically show those paint effects, particularly where the glitter elements were applied.

This design was a absolute labor of love...so i did not mind the extra time in finishing it.

Last edited:

Figments Friend

I love Baxter's work in general! I've really been looking into Splash and Big Thunder lately….

I think you really did Discovery Bay justice….It really has watercolor painting feel to it - not a "Printed Image on a t-shirt" look that you see a lot. I really enjoy that about it!

Again, i thank you.
Very nice of you to say.

I am also a great admirer of Tony's works, and if you have some time you may enjoy visiting the 'Disneyland' Forum here on WDWMagic and reading my 'Tony Baxter Tour of Disneyland - a venture' thread.
Lots of fun for anyone who appreciates what he has done over the years!

:)

RMichael21

Again, i thank you.
Very nice of you to say.

I am also a great admirer of Tony's works, and if you have some time you may enjoy visiting the 'Disneyland' Forum here on WDWMagic and reading my 'Tony Baxter Tour of Disneyland - a venture' thread.

I've kept up with that and I've got to say, you've got a real heart for Tony and his work! :)

Zweiland

Again, i thank you.
Very nice of you to say.

I started reading that a while ago. Now I'll have to go catch up!

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster
-

Here is the finished "Baxterland" design i created, fully painted.
It features all of Tony's most famous Attractions in one scenic image, plus a logo i created based on the classic Disneyland font.
The 'Nautilus' was added as a nod to his involvement in WDWs '20,000 Leagues Under The Sea' Attraction, and his own personal fondness for the Submarine.

This was created with the exact same process as the previously shared 'Discovery Bay' shirt, but took twice as long to make ( two weeks total ).

There was some special attention given to it during the painting process, which included adding some special iridescent paint ( logo, Star Speeder ), metallic tones ( Sub, Dream Catcher), and fine grain sparkling glitter in a few key spots to create movement ( logo, around Dream Catcher, behind BTMR trains' wheels, Splash Mountain water, Star Speeder rocket flares ).
The awkward angle this photo was taken for was to specifically show those paint effects, particularly where the glitter elements were applied.

This design was a absolute labor of love...so i did not mind the extra time in finishing it.
All these shirts make your avatar all the more appropriate!

Amazing attention to detail...

I am floored.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom