Trip Report The I'm Ditching the Spreadsheets....an Unrecognizable Trip!

We arrived home around 10pm last night from our Disney vacation. The planning for this trip started in March, but by September it was not even close to the original. So how did it all turn out? Did I make the correct decisions? Was this trip as hectic as the last one? Should I have cancelled so many dining reservations? Did we miss too much because upon arrival I decided to rip up the spread sheets..the same ones that I so painstakingly obsessed over?! I'm thinking about all of this as I am attempting to organize my 609,504,302 photos.

There were a few hiccups, including my Etsy order not arriving in time, sprinting to the Magical Express just as the doors closed, leaving our Elf on the Shelf in the room after check out, getting stuck on a ride, a missing boat captain, broken ornaments, and a horrible 3 hour lunch. All in all it was an amazing trip. I do not regret the decision to change from the original plans, or the second, or the 3rd, or even the plans I had when we were on the plane heading to Orlando. I decided to throw out most of them and take a (semi) wing it approach. :)

Last edited:

blreinsel

I really enjoyed your report! T is absolutely precious.. He reminds me so much of my nephew. I admire your laid back approach to this trip.. Maybe someday I'll be like you. ;)

Longers

Just wanted to say I loved this TR - your son is adorable. You had an amazing time and made memories to last a lifetime. Thank you for taking the time to write about your trip and for sharing it with us.

MySmallWorldof4

Oh..not a cake person? That's tough at birthdays! Lucky for her though..pizza and cake are my two biggest weaknesses.

I forgot that you're going in May. You're doing a live report for that one! At least it won't take you 4 months to complete.lol

That stinks about the Surburban!! Hopefully Chevy gave some kind of compensation. How annoying! I would have traded it in for a new one too. That's too much to deal with on such a nice vehicle.
Ha! Compensation? I don't think so. Way out of warranty and paid off(of course).

Live report may be a post or combo of. I can see my DH getting annoyed if I spend more time on my phone instead of 'living in the moment" .

DisneyFan 2000

Read through your whole trip report, what a wonderful vacation. (and what a sweetheart your son seems to be!)
I'm not a parent yet but I could totally see the inner me working up a fit over my child wanting to alter plans we made. Your attitude is admirable, I truly hope when the time comes I'll be able to handle it the same way.

21stamps

Original Poster
I really enjoyed your report! T is absolutely precious.. He reminds me so much of my nephew. I admire your laid back approach to this trip.. Maybe someday I'll be like you. ;)

Thank you! I'm an absolute nutcase when it comes to vacations, although I do prefer the word- fickle. Either way, I wouldn't wish that on anyone ;).
Just wanted to say I loved this TR - your son is adorable. You had an amazing time and made memories to last a lifetime. Thank you for taking the time to write about your trip and for sharing it with us.
Thank you for coming along for the lonnnnggg ride! :)
Ha! Compensation? I don't think so. Way out of warranty and paid off(of course).

Live report may be a post or combo of. I can see my DH getting annoyed if I spend more time on my phone instead of 'living in the moment" .

Ha ha, yeah. Live would be tough...but you could at least get a head start!
Read through your whole trip report, what a wonderful vacation. (and what a sweetheart your son seems to be!)
I'm not a parent yet but I could totally see the inner me working up a fit over my child wanting to alter plans we made. Your attitude is admirable, I truly hope when the time comes I'll be able to handle it the same way.

Thank you!! I'll say it again, my attitude was one that was a result of trial and error.lol

21stamps

Original Poster
Thanks for sharing that TR. T is so adorable; you can't take a bad picture of that kid!

I'm glad to read that the two of you had such an enjoyable vacation together, and you now have some wonderful family memories to cherish.
Thank you so much! We did make some great memories :)
Great report !!
Enjoyed following along.

Max

Thank you!! Now I'm off to catch up on your report!!

amjt660

Premium Member
Thank you so much! We did make some great memories :)

Thank you!! Now I'm off to catch up on your report!!
I forgot to mention that I loved your final thoughts and rambling post.
I hope to do something similar at the end of mine.

Personally I do not know how you handled the DDP issues on your trip.
I (honestly) would have stuck to the plan and gone to / used the meal credits even if my young children suggested different.
Kudos to you for being flexible.

Max

21stamps

Original Poster
I forgot to mention that I loved your final thoughts and rambling post.
I hope to do something similar at the end of mine.

Personally I do not know how you handled the DDP issues on your trip.
I (honestly) would have stuck to the plan and gone to / used the meal credits even if my young children suggested different.
Kudos to you for being flexible.

Max

Part of it was my fault for forgetting about the DDP on 12/1..and not checking in to Wilderness Lodge. I could have at least used 1 CS meal at Tangerine Cafe, and a couple of snacks at the booths. The Garden Grill dinner was a CP package, so that would have been 2 credits and I wasn't planning on using it.

The annoying thing was that I thought there would be a way to convert them into credits when I realized the next morning...but, because my GF bill had already been closed out, it wasn't possible.

I can't credit myself with just being blasé about the meals. We had a long day on 12/3, and when T said that he didn't want to go to Chef Mickey I couldn't really blame him (after I got over the initial shock). He wouldn't have been able to swim at all otherwise. I should have made an earlier reservation.
With BOG, we had been up til midnight the night before, it was our last day, and although I wasn't thrilled with his idea- I knew that maybe a laid back morning would be better for him than rushing to MK while he was tired...with a long day ahead of us.

My biggest mistake was booking the DDP in the first place. My TA tried to change my reservation several times. Because I had the "last available room", she was told that there was no way to change it without her canceling the reservation, and gambling if someone would snatch it up during the process. That was a gamble that I wasn't willing to take.

It was a giant waste of money, and I'm not pretending to be happy with myself for doing so...it would actually have been better on the first part of our trip, but even at then we are at a lot of places that didn't accept the DDP..and a few that were 20% off with my AP.

Live and learn :(

The worst part for me was the more than $100 Garden Grill meal.. without dessert and missing Neil Patrick Harris.. that one stung.

21stamps

Original Poster
Oh btw,

Here's the "piece of Wilderness Lodge" that I had shipped home to surprise T. :) They arrived at our house on the Tuesday after got home. He was thrilled. He has them displayed proudly in his room.lol

IMG_2036.JPG

21stamps

Original Poster
Friends, I've been thinking,

I need a major distraction, and also, I received too many compliments for my laid back style..
I'm going to continue on the trip report binge and do a comparison of our 2015 trip here. It won't be as long.. I promise. If you want to follow along with my madness, you are welcome. I've had a rough past few days and need something to keep me busy.

So here it goes.. first I should change the title though..
ETA- actually its easier to do in a separate thread.

Last edited:

Ms.Sunshine

Loved your report! And now I want to stay at Wilderness Lodge even more:inlove:. Do you get anything for completing the Hidden Mickey Challenge - stickers, a pin, bragging rights (which isn't too bad):D?
Loved the Dabbing on Space Mountain:p. And every time my Husband suggests the dining plan I have to remind him that our daughter eats like a bird. The math for us just doesn't make it worth it.

21stamps

Original Poster
Loved your report! And now I want to stay at Wilderness Lodge even more:inlove:. Do you get anything for completing the Hidden Mickey Challenge - stickers, a pin, bragging rights (which isn't too bad):D?
Loved the Dabbing on Space Mountain:p. And every time my Husband suggests the dining plan I have to remind him that our daughter eats like a bird. The math for us just doesn't make it worth it.
Thank you!
Yes, you do get something for completing the Hidden Mickey Hunt. I have no idea what the prize is though, we obviously failed miserably and didn't get one.lol

The dining plan worked for us in 2015, although I made a lot of mistakes with it. Had I used it correctly I probably would have saved some money on that trip. I don't think I'll ever get it again though. I really enjoy the spontaneity of eating at the lounges.

rshell68

Friends, I've been thinking,

I need a major distraction, and also, I received too many compliments for my laid back style..
I'm going to continue on the trip report binge and do a comparison of our 2015 trip here. It won't be as long.. I promise. If you want to follow along with my madness, you are welcome. I've had a rough past few days and need something to keep me busy.

So here it goes.. first I should change the title though..
ETA- actually its easier to do in a separate thread.

Just finished reading this TR and your 2015. Thanks so much for sharing. Your honesty was so refreshing. I had to read parts of it to my husband. It reminded me of many of our trips.

MySmallWorldof4

@MySmallWorldof4 ...

or Anyone...

Who has been to Great Wolf Lodge?
I need advice from fellow crazy Disney planners... please!
my friends think that I'm packing too much into our short visit.
Been a couple of times. No need to pack too much if you are really just going for the water park. I would pack 1 or 2 bathing suits, and then regular clothes for meals. Nothing fancy required. The one we go to is in Williamsburg, so we usually eat outside the Lodge and not inside, although we did order pizza from their pizza place once. Definitely don't overdo your packing, especially because yours is practically in your backyard.;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom