Trip Report The I'm Ditching the Spreadsheets....an Unrecognizable Trip!

We arrived home around 10pm last night from our Disney vacation. The planning for this trip started in March, but by September it was not even close to the original. So how did it all turn out? Did I make the correct decisions? Was this trip as hectic as the last one? Should I have cancelled so many dining reservations? Did we miss too much because upon arrival I decided to rip up the spread sheets..the same ones that I so painstakingly obsessed over?! I'm thinking about all of this as I am attempting to organize my 609,504,302 photos.

There were a few hiccups, including my Etsy order not arriving in time, sprinting to the Magical Express just as the doors closed, leaving our Elf on the Shelf in the room after check out, getting stuck on a ride, a missing boat captain, broken ornaments, and a horrible 3 hour lunch. All in all it was an amazing trip. I do not regret the decision to change from the original plans, or the second, or the 3rd, or even the plans I had when we were on the plane heading to Orlando. I decided to throw out most of them and take a (semi) wing it approach. :)

Last edited:

21stamps

Original Poster
Ugh! I hate leaving day!! I am so sad for you and it wasn't even my trip.:cry:
Thank you. Me too!
Loved your report! When is the next Disney trip? You know you need to plan to keep the sadness under wraps, even if the next one is not for a year, or 2, or more.;)

Thank you so much!!
I'm actually going to look at my spreadsheets and list what we cancelled/missed lol. It's A LOT. It was still such a wonderful trip..there's a few things I would change of course, but overall it was amazing. Much better than his first visit!

Ha ha. Well, I booked and cancelled the Easter bday trip. Still debating if I want to do a pre cruise 3 night visit in June. Depends on resort availability (I promised kiddo Poly), passholder discounts, AND if I really can deal with Disney in June. I did it once, with my niece and nephew, I swore never again.lol

I am definitely going for F&W, sans kiddo though :)

21stamps

Original Poster
I've so enjoyed this trip report. I love that you just threw all caution to the wind and let T take the wheel. I know that was hard b/c I am a control freak myself! So are you thinking next trip...NO ADR? LOL

Thanks! It was tough..but I had to remember to not overdo things this time. Sometimes a kid knows more than a parent..even though we think that we know what they would like. Only sometimes though..other times we definitely know better. ;)

I'm sure I'll book ADRs again, hopefully keep more than the '16 trip, but not 2 a day like we did in '15.

21stamps

Original Poster
Loved the report! I'm actually glad it drug on for so long, it gave me something to look forward too!

What I want to know is what will the next resort be when you go back? Poly, GF or WL?:happy:

Lol. Thank you! I'm going to have to go back and read it..I can't even remember the beginning ;). Thanks for sticking with us!

I promised kiddo that next warm weather trip will be Poly again. I'm debating a pre cruise stay in June..as of right now Poly is over $800 per night. So, ummm.. No.
We'll see if a 30% off comes out.

We are cruising out of Miami, so it isn't like Orlando is convenient, and to save money on flights and mostly car rental I would need to do a round trip to MCO. Unless I do RT to FLL and make the drive to Orlando (I hate flying into MIA so that's out). I don't know.. I'm so undecided for what we will do pre cruise in June...we could do post cruise, over 4th of July..but I'm afraid of the crowds even more than I am for June.lol

I am so horrible about planning vacations. I really am. I change my mind a million times.

MySmallWorldof4

Lol. Thank you! I'm going to have to go back and read it..I can't even remember the beginning ;). Thanks for sticking with us!

I promised kiddo that next warm weather trip will be Poly again. I'm debating a pre cruise stay in June..as of right now Poly is over $800 per night. So, ummm.. No.
We'll see if a 30% off comes out.

We are cruising out of Miami, so it isn't like Orlando is convenient, and to save money on flights and mostly car rental I would need to do a round trip to MCO. Unless I do RT to FLL and make the drive to Orlando (I hate flying into MIA so that's out). I don't know.. I'm so undecided for what we will do pre cruise in June...we could do post cruise, over 4th of July..but I'm afraid of the crowds even more than I am for June.lol

I am so horrible about planning vacations. I really am. I change my mind a million times.
pre cruise 3 night visit in June
Yes, do it!
We went for my daughter's(child number 3) bday from June 25- July 1st last year and the crowds were not so bad. We did spend 2 days at Blizzard Beach and it was definitely bearable and not too crowded there.

21stamps

Original Poster
Yes, do it!
We went for my daughter's(child number 3) bday from June 25- July 1st last year and the crowds were not so bad. We did spend 2 days at Blizzard Beach and it was definitely bearable and not too crowded there.

Instigator!!!

IF we do it.. and ONLY if discounts come out...Black Friday and 12/1-12/4 are the first time ever that I ever paid full price for a Disney room, and I won't do it again!!!...we would only have 3 nights, I want to do at least 2 nights in Boca Raton.. so that would leave us with 1 MK day, 1 resort day (mandatory), and 1 other day..probably AK to visit Pandora-only, then leave AK and do HS late afternoon thru evening. We still have to see the Star Wars night time show.

Anyway, I. Don't. Know. Lol

ETA- IF we did post cruise, I guess 4th of July could be our resort day, and we could watch the fireworks from our room.
My 30th birthday (plus 10) is during our trip. So there is a small excuse to celebrate.. or at least try to distract me and ignore the pain..lol

MySmallWorldof4

Instigator!!!

IF we do it.. and ONLY if discounts come out...Black Friday and 12/1-12/4 are the first time ever that I ever paid full price for a Disney room, and I won't do it again!!!...we would only have 3 nights, I want to do at least 2 nights in Boca Raton.. so that would leave us with 1 MK day, 1 resort day (mandatory), and 1 other day..probably AK to visit Pandora-only, then leave AK and do HS late afternoon thru evening. We still have to see the Star Wars night time show.

Anyway, I. Don't. Know. Lol

ETA- IF we did post cruise, I guess 4th of July could be our resort day, and we could watch the fireworks from our room.
My 30th birthday (plus 10) is during our trip. So there is a small excuse to celebrate.. or at least try to distract me and ignore the pain..lol
Ha Ha!! We used my husband's AP for a room discount for the end of June, so they do have them that time of year! Actually, hmmmm...Those discounts may be coming out in a couple of days. ;)

21stamps

Original Poster
Ha Ha!! We used my husband's AP for a room discount for the end of June, so they do have them that time of year! Actually, hmmmm...Those discounts may be coming out in a couple of days. ;)

You do realize that your plan will end up having me in a car for a minimum of 8 hours, with a kid asking "are we there yet?" Repeatedly.
Does that sound fun?!

Will the discounts come out soon? Is July 4th typically included in them?

MySmallWorldof4

You do realize that your plan will end up having me in a car for a minimum of 8 hours, with a kid asking "are we there yet?" Repeatedly.
Does that sound fun?!

Will the discounts come out soon? Is July 4th typically included in them?
Last year the discount came out in the middle of February last year. There are 2 promos that end on the 5th of March for booking, so I am guessing that summer offers will come out next week. I think there are room discounts for AP the 4th. It is not like Christmas. I am looking for those too, since we want to celebrate our daughter's(first born), 16th bday in July. :jawdrop:

MySmallWorldof4

Does that sound fun?!
We do drive 13-14 hours from PA once or twice a year so I am well aware of the "are we there yet?" Luckily the DVD player keeps them quiet and we have taught them to read the mile markers on the road so they know how far we are to the next state. Going isn't the hard part because we want to get there. They get annoying on the way home, because, well, we're going home.:cry:

8hrs. I assume you mean 4 hours each way. My kids are pros in the car so a 4 hour ride is no big deal to them. Well trained kiddos.:)

BigHero4

Great trip report! I looked forward to 'The Many Adventures of T' every day.

We are also from the Buckeye State and I have a son around the same age. We plan to go this year in early December and staying at WL. Reading your report has me more excited than ever!!

KUDOS on your ability to go with the flow. I know it isn't easy, but it usually makes for great memories for the kids! Great job!

Last edited:

21stamps

Original Poster
Final Thoughts, and (more) Ramblings...

The "planning" for this trip started in September of 2015, somewhat anyway. After that trip I decided to do Disney differently..a little more relaxing..with a lot less planning required...as in a Disney Cruise.

I wasn't sure of the when or where, so I brainstormed with my amazingly wonderful TA. Months later, I finally decided on a DCL Fantasy Very Merrytime Cruise the week of Thanksgiving. She booked it.
Then I decided that I didn't want to miss Thanksgiving with my grandfather, so I changed to the Saturday after Thanksgiving.
So, now we had a DCL Fantasy Very Merrytime Western Caribbean. Booked this in March 2016.
A few weeks go by and I think "Well, we're flying into MCO anyway..maybe just do a few days at Disney World..."
I asked my TA to book 2 nights in a theme park view room at the Contemporary.
What? A length of stay requirement? Fine. We'll do 3 nights.
Ok, we'll do one night pre cruise at Disney as well.
Booked the Swan.
Changed my mind to AKL for pre cruise. My wonderfully patient TA booked that.
Then added another night post cruise at CR.
Then I obsessed over dining, MVMCP, crowd calendars. Everything that I wanted to avoid by deciding on DCL in the first place!!!

Fast Forward to September 2016...after final payment with DCL. We had a few changes at work, I could no longer take 2 weeks off during Nov/Dec.

Kiddo had been so excited for DCL and for Disney World. I spoke to him and asked him to choose. I 100% thought he would choose DCL.

He chose the parks!!!! What???? I shouldn't have asked him.lol

So, at that point I change everything around. Availability is now very slim. As you know, we ended with 6 nights GF and 3 nights WL.
All dining had to be changed.
All of my 180 day in advance reservations cancelled.

All of this planning now 60 days in advance again!!! Just like 2015!! Why did I do this to myself?

Here's the thing-

Yes, there was one restaurant that I could not get. One, that I had really wanted, and booked at exactly 180. Everything else I was able to secure.

I decided that I must take a positive approach to this, even though I wasn't extremely excited about Wilderness Lodge, and even though I couldn't get Minnie's Holiday Dine. As you know, I ended up loving WL, and our HS day was too busy for H&V anyway, so both were a blessing in disguise.

I read so many people say that Disney planning is so stressful and it forces you to book vacations a minimum of 180 days in advance.
Disney Planning IS stressful. I don't enjoy it. But the 180 day thing is NOT mandatory. 2 consecutive years I have booked Disney trips 65 days or less in advance. Both of them were over a Holiday weekend. Both of them I was able to secure almost all dining. Yes, sometimes the week before, but still, it was able to be done. (Shout out to the hoarders for that!)

Here's what I realized in 2016- WE are the ones who make Disney planning more stressful than it should be. Or at least I did. Your mileage may vary. Sometimes, we just need to step back and enjoy. It doesn't matter how much money you are spending... Sometimes trying to get the most "value" out of our Disney dollars is actually counterproductive. At the end of the day Disney Magic is within us. Disney World gives us the backdrop, it's up to us to take it from there :) Missing a ride or reservation is annoying, but time with family is precious, and sometimes impromptu situations make the best memories..even more so than the "perfectly planned day".

Maybe I'm full of pixie dust... or maybe I just realize that life happens once. Someday memories are all we have left of a loved one, and someday memories are all our loved ones will have left of us. I know that when I think of all of my 30 something years visiting WDW, my memories are not of how many rides we completed in a day, or how many character meals we attended. It's the small moments, spent with the people that I love.

Throwing out my spreadsheets, the ones I slaved over, ones that I stayed up countless nights tweaking and perfecting.. looking at them as more of an outline, and committing to being in the moment with my child, was the best thing that I ever did.
Hiccups and all.. I have no regrets :)

Ok..maybe I regret the dining plan...lol.

I hope this didn't sound "preachy".. just my thoughts on WDW..and how I know I will approach it from now on.

Last edited:

MySmallWorldof4

Maybe I'm full of pixie dust... or maybe I just realize that life happens once. Someday memories are all we have left of a loved one, and someday memories are all our loved ones will have left of us. I know that when I think of all of my 30 something years visiting WDW, my memories are not of how many rides we completed in a day, or how many character meals we attended. It's the small moments, spent with the people that I love.

So true and so beautifully stated. A perfect way to end a trip report. Thanks for sharing your trip!

21stamps

Original Poster
Last year the discount came out in the middle of February last year. There are 2 promos that end on the 5th of March for booking, so I am guessing that summer offers will come out next week. I think there are room discounts for AP the 4th. It is not like Christmas. I am looking for those too, since we want to celebrate our daughter's(first born), 16th bday in July. :jawdrop:
Ok. I will look for it.. not committing to a Disney trip just yet though.lol
We do drive 13-14 hours from PA once or twice a year so I am well aware of the "are we there yet?" Luckily the DVD player keeps them quiet and we have taught them to read the mile markers on the road so they know how far we are to the next state. Going isn't the hard part because we want to get there. They get annoying on the way home, because, well, we're going home.:cry:

8hrs. I assume you mean 4 hours each way. My kids are pros in the car so a 4 hour ride is no big deal to them. Well trained kiddos.:)
Can they train mine? I just use threats. Every time we go on a road trip and he repeatedly asks.. I tell him that every question will be answered by me going 5mph slower..and maybe even turning around. It usually works..after I repeat it a second time..lol
Great trip report! I looked forward to 'The Many Adventures of T' every day.

We are also from the Buckeye State and I have a son around the same age. We plan to go this year in early December and staying at WL. Reading your report has me more excited than ever!!

KUDOS on your ability to go with the flow. I know it isn't easy, but it usually makes for great memories for the kids! Great job!
Thanks so much!
You will LOVE Wilderness Lodge!! Especially your son!! Do the bike ride!
Oh no! It's over... :cry: I thoroughly enjoyed this report! Excellent!!
Thanks for hangin' in there thru my procrastination!!
So true and so beautifully stated. A perfect way to end a trip report. Thanks for sharing your trip!
Thank you for following along!!

21stamps

Original Poster

I didn't even catch this last part earlier.
What an awesome Sweet 16!!!
Will it be a surprise?

MySmallWorldof4

I didn't even catch this last part earlier.
What an awesome Sweet 16!!!
Will it be a surprise?
Nope. Not a surprise. We did a surprise trip for her 14th, but it was a whirlwind trip literally. We drove down on a Wednesday and left on Saturday her birthday. We kind of felt bad that we left on it even though we were in Disney. Oh yeah and our car had throttle issues so we also had some car stress. It stalled after we checked in. :eek:The car was at Disney's service getting a temporary repair. So that kind of was a downer. We felt her birthday needed a redo so we asked and she was so excited. She still doesn't know which restaurant she wants to eat at on the actual day.

21stamps

Original Poster
Nope. Not a surprise. We did a surprise trip for her 14th, but it was a whirlwind trip literally. We drove down on a Wednesday and left on Saturday her birthday. We kind of felt bad that we left on it even though we were in Disney. Oh yeah and our car had throttle issues so we also had some car stress. It stalled after we checked in. :eek:The car was at Disney's service getting a temporary repair. So that kind of was a downer. We felt her birthday needed a redo so we asked and she was so excited. She still doesn't know which restaurant she wants to eat at on the actual day.

Oh sorry about those troubles last time. I'm sure that she is very excited!!! Are you going to do a report? Is her birthday going to be spent at MK?

I don't know if you were already planning to decorate your room.. but I almost did an In Room Celebration thru Disney Floral and Gifts.. saved about $450 by bringing my own decorations and putting them up while T was sleeping.lol

MySmallWorldof4

Oh sorry about those troubles last time. I'm sure that she is very excited!!! Are you going to do a report? Is her birthday going to be spent at MK?

I don't know if you were already planning to decorate your room.. but I almost did an In Room Celebration thru Disney Floral and Gifts.. saved about $450 by bringing my own decorations and putting them up while T was sleeping.lol
I am not planning on room decor by Disney. It is way overpriced. I do have to think about a cake though. She is surprisingly not a cake person. :confused:

I am considering a report for our May trip. I will see how that goes first. ;)

In regards to the car, that really was a not fun situation. Funny enough that wasn't the first time that happened. Apparently 2007 Suburbans had a throttle issue. Constantly needed cleaning by a mechanic. It stalled on us at The Boardwalk after a check in, then the next year in Hilton Head, and then the 14th birthday trip. That was the last straw. Got a new one a few days after that trip. :)

21stamps

Original Poster
I am not planning on room decor by Disney. It is way overpriced. I do have to think about a cake though. She is surprisingly not a cake person. :confused:

I am considering a report for our May trip. I will see how that goes first. ;)

In regards to the car, that really was a not fun situation. Funny enough that wasn't the first time that happened. Apparently 2007 Suburbans had a throttle issue. Constantly needed cleaning by a mechanic. It stalled on us at The Boardwalk after a check in, then the next year in Hilton Head, and then the 14th birthday trip. That was the last straw. Got a new one a few days after that trip. :)

Oh..not a cake person? That's tough at birthdays! Lucky for her though..pizza and cake are my two biggest weaknesses.

I forgot that you're going in May. You're doing a live report for that one! At least it won't take you 4 months to complete.lol

That stinks about the Surburban!! Hopefully Chevy gave some kind of compensation. How annoying! I would have traded it in for a new one too. That's too much to deal with on such a nice vehicle.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom