The I-Love-Harry-Potter Trip Report for 12/13/12

JillC LI

Original Poster
Please forgive the delay, but here is my Trip Report from our overnight stay at Loews Pacific Royal Resort:
We arrived at about 11pm on 12/12/12, and were delighted to hear from the front desk that we had been upgraded from a standard room to a Kids Suite! The room was fantastic – spacious in the main area, with a separate room having two single beds for the kids. It was a nice way to start our vacation. We took photos for our Express Passes and headed straight to bed for an early start the next day.
After a quick breakfast from the café in the lobby (very convenient), we took a water taxi over to City Walk and headed to IoA for the early 8am opening for on site guests. At 8am we ran straight to the Wizarding World Of Harry Potter, stopping for nothing. We were the first people on line at Ollivanders Wand Shop, and to our delight, our 11 year old daughter was chosen to be part of the first show of the day! That made it even more special, although of course, we had to buy her the wand that chose her afterwards!
2012-December-DisneyUniversal010_zps0e3ec52d.jpg

From there we headed straight to Forbidden Journey which was a walk-on. I did wind up getting a locker, but the lack of crowds made it easy. DD and I delighted in everything about the queue since we are the two Potter fans in the family. My hubby and 13 year old DS thought the moving paintings were cool. As for the ride itself, it was incredible. I was rather nervous since I don’t do well with thrill rides, but I simply couldn’t miss this one. I can’t add any more to the description of the ride than others have already posted, but suffice it to say, DD and I were amazed by it and loved it (although I was just a tad queasy by the end). My hubby – who likes coasters – didn’t love it, but he couldn’t appreciate all the details of the story.
From there we rode Flight of the Hippogryph and then enjoyed all the details of Hogsmeade. I felt like I was inside Rowling’s world, seeing it come to life. The kids and I shared a frozen butterbeer which I was surprised to find I really liked. Of course we made some purchases at Honeydukes Candy Shoppe. My hubby and DS left the WWOHP to go on some thrill rides without us (they loved Dr. Dooms Fear Fall) while DD and I stayed to check out every detail. When the Dragon Challenge finally opened at 11am, the men returned to ride it (without us chickens).
2012-December-DisneyUniversal024_zps06e11c7f.jpg

2012-December-DisneyUniversal025_zps88437bdd.jpg

After that we squeezed in many attractions – Trolley in the Sky, Cat in the Hat, Spiderman (twice), Jurassic Park (only the men – the weather had been predicted to be 70 but only turned out to be about 50 so we were all freezing in shorts and t-shirts, and the girls didn’t want to get soaking wet). DD got her photo taken with the Grinch as well as the Whos.
2012-December-DisneyUniversal045_zpsd9c74c9d.jpg

JillC LI

Original Poster
At lunch time we headed to US where we did Despicable Me (kinda cute) before grabbing lunch. My hubby and DD enjoyed pizza at Louie’s while DS and I had some okay burgers at Richter’s. He wanted to use the make-your-own soda machine, but I was annoyed that I would have to pay for a $12 souvenir cup instead of a $5 regular soda cup in order for him to do so, so we skipped it. After lunch we went to ET (a great ride), Terminator 2 (too loud and not as enjoyable as I’d hoped – in fact all the shooting scared DD more than any thrill ride). The family rode Revenge of the Mummy without me, and then convinced me to try it with them because they said it was more like RnRC (which I love) than Everest (which I hate). I was glad I agreed because I really did like it. I saw the Superstars Parade in the afternoon, and we had planned on staying for the Macy’s parade, but it was so freaking cold, and we didn’t have jackets or pants handy, that we decided to leave at 5pm. DS rode Rip Ride Rock-It by himself twice before we left the park and he loved it. Although we missed the floats, we did get to see lots of cool giant balloons from the Thanksgiving Day parade all around the park.
2012-December-DisneyUniversal056_zps2b81bb6c.jpg

Overall it was a great day with no waits because of our Express Passes which was a great perk for staying onsite (although crowds were pretty low all day). The highlight by far for me and DD was the WWOHP. We probably won’t return to US and IoA until the next phase of Harry Potter attractions opens though.

lilclerk

The wait for Ollivander's is ridiculous, but it is super cute. It's worth seeing at least once.
Great report, I love seeing other Potter fans' first reactions! I think I looked just like your daughter in Honeydukes :p

JillC LI

Original Poster
The wait for Ollivander's is ridiculous, but it is super cute. It's worth seeing at least once.
Great report, I love seeing other Potter fans' first reactions! I think I looked just like your daughter in Honeydukes :p

We ran straight to Ollivanders to avoid the long wait. Worked out great for us, and the store (and the whole show) is adorable. I thought I was so clever at Honeydukes as I kept saying that I felt like a kid in a candy store! LOL (Not so clever, I know.:D )

Disneyhead'71

Disney fans love to use the word immersive, but I have never experienced being truely immersed in a fantasy world the way that The Wizarding World of Harry Potter does. Being a Potter fan, it is truely amazing how rich the detailing is there. I am pretty darned excited for TWWOHP: Diagon Alley. And the 2 headliners coming are going to be spectacular. The Gringott's Lobby (ride queue) alone is going to a sight to behold with it's italian marble floors, crystal chandeliers, and Goblin animatronics.

JillC LI

Original Poster
Disney fans love to use the word immersive, but I have never experienced being truely immersed in a fantasy world the way that The Wizarding World of Harry Potter does. Being a Potter fan, it is truely amazing how rich the detailing is there. I am pretty darned excited for TWWOHP: Diagon Alley. And the 2 headliners coming are going to be spectacular. The Gringott's Lobby (ride queue) alone is going to a sight to behold with it's italian marble floors, crystal chandeliers, and Goblin animatronics.

I agree 100%. I love Disney, but being at the WWOHP was truly a special experience for this Potter-lover.

DD and I were watching Order of the Phoenix on TV the other night, and when we got to the winter scene of the kids entering Hosgmeade for the first meeting of DA, it looked exactly like where we had just been. It was really exciting to feel like we had been there ourselves.

DD hasn't finished books 6 and 7 yet, so she still doesn't understand why Gringotts is important enough to plan a ride around, and my lips are sealed until she finishes the series!

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
As a fan of the Potter books, I am now really looking forward to my March visit to Universal (we've never been to Uni before, at all!)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom