The Hypothetical "How'd you Improve-" Thread

Captain Aperture

Original Poster
Hi. I'm Captain Aperture, and I've decided to make this thread so that people can just brainstorm stuff that they'd either like to see in the parks, or just stuff that would be neat for WDW. As of this writing, I'm new, and not quite sure if this is okay in the current subject. Feel free to alert me if I goofed, but for now, I'm going to drop a huge idea bomb, for example.

First off, Disneyquest. The multi-level arcade that looses relevance with each passing year, due to having been aimed at the hypothetical 90's kid that would love that stuff.

Nothing wrong with that, but it's been over 20 years since the place opened, and sans new arcade machines, the Hercules ride being replaced with Pirates, the addition of Wreck-It Ralph (which isn't a bad thing), and a new coat of paint over the facade, and virtually nothing else has changed. Speaking of Virtually...

Tonight, I submit to you,

Improving Disneyquest or How I Stopped Worrying and Loved the TRON.

For starters, scrap everything except the basic concept of a multilevel "virtual" theme park. No Mighty Ducks "pinball," no Radio Disney, no Make-A-Toy, ect.

Keep the Bill Nye virtual coaster creator and the Cybrolators, though.

Back to our first thought. The basic idea of a multilevel video game funland that happens to be made by Disney. When you think of video games and the House of Mouse, what first comes to mind?

To me, it's TRON, and Wreck-It Ralph. Both movies being unique, and often unnoticed by the company. In the hypothetical Disneyquest of the future, these franchises will be highly capitalized on.

We'll be divvying up the changes per level, as to be simple.

For starters, The main hall will be re-themed to resemble the Game Central Station of WiR, having simple open doorways showing off a glimpse of some of the rooms, and partly obscuring the upper levels (which we'll get into later). This area will be a safe haven for those who want to sit back and relax with potentially a bite to eat from Tapper's, a family friendly restaurant and bar calling back to the video games of old with themed foods and drinks, the specialty being, well, beer of the root and garden variety.
Also, in the GCS, there's seating outside of Tapper's for rest after game sessions, and an area for M&G with Ralph and Vanellope.

Leaving the GCS, Level One is the most varied in terms of theming. Multiple rooms, paying homage to both the different eras of video gaming and different genres, contain various games, ranging from classic favorites and fresh, new games. The primary attractions on Level One include a 3D movie themed after WiR, the Bake-A-Kart (where guests can play mini games to "bake" a kart ala the sequence in WiR, compete with other guests to make theirs the fastest in a test after the "baking" process, and purchase a physical model of the kart they made if they want to), and a Hero's Duty-themed shooting gallery.

Moving on up, we enter Level Two, themed after the original TRON. Intricate designs of various colored lights arrange themselves along the walls and floor, 80's Rock and Pop music plays on. Here, oh, HERE, is where the video classics of yesteryear come to play. One of the main attractions up here is the Lightcycles. Here, guests actually climb into replica retro Light Cycles to play the classic game in the first person in a 4-player, last man standing, free-for-all. Plus, if one doesn't want to use the simulator, they can play on replicas of the original arcade machines from the movie. Some are hooked up to the same game the simulators are playing, and others are separate. There's also Space Paranoids, which is also a first-person simulator based upon the game from the film. It is also available in standard cabinet form, for those who don't want to/can't use the simulator. Both have footage from the game/inside the cockpit playing on screens for those waiting in line. Lastly on Two, there's the Make-A-Game, where guests are showed and taught how games are made, and how to make a retro platformer that they can take home on complementary thumbdrives/MagicBands.

Lastly, we have Level 3, which is themed after TRON Legacy. Here, the newest games reign supreme and Daft Punk hits play on. Everything is slick, feeling like an upgrade upon the previous level. Main attraction here is the Game Grid, where two players go head to head in virtual disk wars. Strapped into harnesses and VR helmets, the two duke it out in virtual acrobatic disk combat until one Derezzes the other. There's also the CLU Laser Maze, where Players must navigate a maze of laser lights to escape CLU2's grasp.

There's also the End of Line Club. Meant for older "users," guests can relax, have specialty drinks and foods , and dance to the latest and greatest electronic music, in addition to being a throwback to ElecTRONica.

Lastly, lastly, the Cybrolators remove the Genie (a necessary evil for the retheming), and replace him with Ralph and Van, along with having projectors in the ceiling that project appropriate themes inside the elevator booth for each floor.

In conclusion, retheming DQ to more famous Disney franchises and focusing on the whole family, would make for a more relevant and potentially immersive place that would likely live up to the "virtual" theme park moniker.

And if you're wondering, YES, I do realize the company's given up on the project. However, this kind of idea is what this topic is for. Giving your opinion on what would make for an interesting improvement or attraction/ride at the parks.

Either way, thanks for sparing your time for reading this insane idea, and I can't wait to see what you guys have in store!

DisneyManOne

I really love your DisneyQuest idea...but to be honest, if it were me, I'd change a few things.

First of all, for the Wreck-it Ralph level (the first level, right?), I'd make the whole level be themed around Litwak's Arcade, where the movie takes place. This is also where I'd have all the old arcade game (or those "video classes of yesteryear" as you called them). Plus, in addition to the Kart Baker, I'd have a full-fledged Sugar Rush game. And of course, this is where I'd put a copy of the Fix-It Felix Jr. game.

And since there are five floors, I'd turn the top-most level (Level 5) into the Florida version of the Blue Sky Cellar. This is where guests can take a look at what's coming soon from Walt Disney Imagineering. Here, I'd have the Amazing Destini thing from D23, as well as a new type of thing called Imagineering the Future. This is where guests can make their own Disney park (choosing different things from, oh say, every single Disney park known to man, including those things that are no longer with us). The whole she-bang is then saved on a little drive, so guests can experience their park anytime they want! Oh, and this is where I'd move the CyberSpace Mountain, so it fits in with the whole Imagineering thing.

Again, this is just my two-cents. But nonetheless, I really love your idea! Can't wait for more!

Captain Aperture

Original Poster
Yeah, I kinda meant for that floor to be a good blend of both old and new games, to level out the TRON and TRON Legacy levels' divide between old and new, respectively. However, I do like the idea of theming the first floor to Litwak's. Although, I do somewhat object to it, seeing as Litwak's is intentionally a regular arcade, and I didn't want to accidentally pull a Dino-Rama. Wanted things to be grandiose and stuff. I do adore the idea of having fully-functioning replicas of Sugar Rush, and potentially a fleshed-out version of Hero's Duty. Then again, one of the rooms on the WiR level could be themed to Litwak's Arcade, and potentially try to be screen accurate in terms of machines and placement. :)

Also, forgot the place was five levels. Considering the extra space, I'd personally love the idea of a Blue Sky Cellar on the top floor. One could easily move the make-a-game up here, to keep with the idea of creation and Imagineering, along with CSM.

In turn, that leaves Level 4 without a theme. Perhaps have it be themed after Litwak's? Or Flynn's?

Captain Aperture

Original Poster
...That's not a bad idea...

Imagine this. The Cybrolator opens up, revealing onto you this expansive arena, blending both the original and Legacy aesthetics of TRON. Music is playing, making you feel as if you're ready to take on the world. Here, guests can not only compete against other players in multiplayer games for bragging rights, but the biggest, if not the SELLING POINT-EST ATTRACTION IS ON THIS FLOOR.

What is said attraction, you may ask?

THE GAME GRID. Part E-Ticket, part competitive game, and part spectator E-Sport, this is what will bring customers to DQ.

But what is the Game Grid, persey?

It's simple. Part experience and part show, a group of 8 guests are hooked into simulators ala the Disk War simulator and duke it out for disk supremacy as a Mega-TRON (see what I did there?) shows the audience the in-game action with accompanying commentary from a CLU2/Zuse stand-in.

The eight competitors are narrowed down to four, as they now enter the Light Cycle portion of the tournament, riding in a last-man-standing match.

The last competitor is then given two options: bow out and recieve an exclusive pin (available only by winning the games)...or play double-or-nothing in a Disk match with nobody else but RINZLER.

If the player can beat Rinzler in a 1V1, all-or-nothing match, said player gets the standard pin, along with an exclusive pin for beating Rinzler, and their name engraved onto a plaque on the wall as a GAME GRID CHAMPION!...That is, unless they fail. In which case, they're sent on their merry way to try again another day.

Please note: Rinzler has no player. He's a set opponent that is hard as heck to beat.

Captain Aperture

Original Poster
Well, of course. Then again, I made this thread with the intention of anybody being able to describe how'd they improve/redo an element of or an entire park proper.

But, if one wants to know, currently I'm pondering over how to rework Disney's Hollywood Studi-venture (as I lovingly refer to it these days).

Captain Aperture

Original Poster
Hey everybody. Ap here. Sorry it's been so long since I last posted, but I hit a small rut in terms of my Hollywood Studios brainstorming, so that'll be held off until I post it. Either way, I came up with a show not for Disney...but for Universal.

Check this: a stunt show based upon the Three Flavors Cornetto trilogy (Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, and The World's End).

Let's cut the theatrics and get to the gist of the matter.

The show would be akin to Indy show at Hollywood Studios, however focusing upon some of the major action beats of the Trilogy proper.

The show would be housed in a soundstage-esc building, right behind a replica of the titular pub of The World's End, which acts as both a queue/waiting area/actual restaurant, where waiting patrons can have a quick snack, enjoy the decor, and have a pint of Crowning Glory, a specialty ale only available from the pub.

Eventually, the doors open, and our guests are quickly hurried into the auditorium.

We open on our first sequence, the first zombie encounter with Shaun and Ed from Shaun of the Dead. The sequence gets cut-off as we are immediately introduced to our bookending device, with stand-ins for Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright actually being given a sneak peak at the stunt show you're currently watching (just go with it).

With that, we move on to our next segment, the Brawl in The Beehive from The World's End.

We end with the finale from Hot Fuzz.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom