1. The new WDWMAGIC app for iPhone and iPad is now available on the App Store.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

The Hall of Presidents set for a near 6 month refurbishment

Discussion in 'WDW Parks News, Rumors and Current Events' started by wdwmagic, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Nickels5

Nickels5 Well-Known Member

6 months for one AA seems like an extremely long time no? Again last time they completely rewrote the show and the structure of it, so unless they are doing again it seems abnormally long to me.

2. KrzyKtty

KrzyKtty Well-Known Member

It's not just one AA, they also have to redesign Obama's AA and put him in a new position for the show.

3. Nickels5

I guess we will see once the show opens how much has changed, until then I will withhold judgment.

4. Otterhead

Otterhead Well-Known Member

Neither you or I or anyone else here knows the extent of how they're revamping the show, beyond adding the Trump AA and adapting the Obama AA to a less-complex animatronic. In the past they've updated the narration, changed the entire show structure, and taken the opportunity to refurbish all 44 other AAs in the show. I trust that they're actually doing work, not just stalling to make a political statement (?)

5. Princess Leia

Princess Leia Well-Known Member

True. But who knows, they might be. We knew in October that the show wouldn't open again until June 29th. It was going to take this long even if Hillary was elected.

There will probably be a new film, there will definitely be a new narrator, AAs will be reconfigured, some AAs will get a fixer upper (even though he's super advanced, I think Lincoln needs another face lift). As for the interior, there could be new carpet and fresh paint. They could also change the lobby's museum pieces.

Really, I think there are 2 weekends that are thematically correct for reburb openings: President's Day and Independence Day.

Last edited: May 8, 2017
  6. gmajew

gmajew Premium Member

I always think it is cool how they get the new president into place for this attraction. It is really amazing that one the president wants to be a part of it but takes the time to do it with WDW.

No matter your politics it is a great great experience one that everyone should enjoy and the other BS should be left at the door.

7. Otterhead

Otterhead Well-Known Member

Sure, just as they would if a President died in office or in some other way didn't finish their term. Happily none of that has happened since they started letting sitting Presidents speak (with Clinton).

8. LuvtheGoof

LuvtheGoof Proud DVC Member Premium Member

Exactly.

WDWTank and Princess Leia like this.
  9. montyz81

montyz81 Well-Known Member

OK, I just figured that cost conscious Disney would wait until the 4 years was up to save on refurb costs.

10. LuvtheGoof

LuvtheGoof Proud DVC Member Premium Member

They didn't for Ford, so not sure why they would now.

RandomPrincess and Princess Leia like this.
  11. KrzyKtty

KrzyKtty Well-Known Member

And please remember that impeachment does not mean removal from office. Clinton was impeached....

*edit in case this is read wrong. I just meant to clarify terminology. Not getting political; Clinton was the only President during my lifetime impeached to use as an example.

Last edited: May 8, 2017
    21stamps, WDWTank and Princess Leia like this.
  12. elchippo

elchippo Well-Known Member

I'm sure there's not a single hypothetical scenario we can come up with that Disney doesn't also think about and probably even prepares for them all somehow. I'm thinking we are probably due for a press release soon that gives an idea of what is coming, even if it's just a little "puff" thing.

13. gmajew

gmajew Premium Member

The hole question that started this tangent was should be in the other thread! This attraction is amazing and it amazes me that Disney keeps it up and does not remove it for a meet and greet...... So I am thrilled they do this and keep this educational and non political!

WDWTank and Princess Leia like this.
  14. The Mom

The Mom Moderator Premium Member

There is a whole forum for political discussions - this thread is only about the HOP refurb. Thank you.

15. Biff215

Biff215 Well-Known Member

There's no public official policy, but we can guess that the attraction would be closed almost immediately if a president ever left the office prematurely so it could remain historically accurate. It's probably a good thing this hasn't happened recently and that we had three two term presidents in a row, as I somehow doubt Disney would want to spend the necessary money to update it more often than that. I wouldn't be totally surprised if they went with a more generic theme this time around to make future changes easier, regardless of when they come, but that's just a guess. I really love this attraction and look forward to seeing what they do with it this time.

16. Coaster Lover

Coaster Lover Well-Known Member

Well, anytime a new president is added, you have to consider that most of the work cannot begin until election results are in and confirmed. You aren't going to start work on an AA (either on design or programming) until the election is completed simply because it would be a moderately significant waste of resources to work on two AAs simultaneously knowing that one wouldn't be used. Then, you have to have the script written that the new president will say (assuming they retain that tradition) and I assume that these speeches are unique to each president. They script needs to be approved (likely by multiple sources in Disney and by the White House) and then they need to schedule a time for the new president to record the dialog. After that, the imagines need to work on syncing up the mouth movements and gestures and facial expressions from the recording session with the AA all before installing it in the HoP. On top of this, several steps in this process likely involve approval from the White House and access to the president (for the recording session) and the president and White House are all quite busy the first weeks/months in office so it's likely not like this can be done right after the president is elected. I guess what I'm trying to say is that this is more involved that "just" adding an AA.

The simplest (in my opinion) step for a "quick" fix would simply be removing the removed presidents dialog/movement and altering the narration. Possibly projecting an image of the new president until a more permanent change could be made. Seems like something like that could be implemented rather quickly.

Princess Leia and JohnD like this.
  17. JohnD

JohnD Well-Known Member

While I would say the recent discussion was civil and wasn't overtly political (of which I was part), it was leaning heavily on debating technicalities in The Constitution for handling a President leaving office unexpectedly. I see @The Mom's point, though. The discussion is deviating away from discussing HOP.

My sense for the 6 month refurb is time for: recording the President's voice, installing a new AA, re-configuring the other 40+ President AAs, putting together a new movie with new narration, and might as well refurbish the auditorium and lobby while at it.

Princess Leia likes this.
  18. Nickels5

I'm pretty sure I read that they actually do have molds for both of the candidates ready to go and once the election result is final they get working on it right away. But I could be wrong.

19. Princess Leia

I think it's just the busts of the heads. But they did have one for both Hillary and Donald made before the election.

20. Princess Leia

I'd posted this in the other HoP thread (before it became political), and I felt like it could have a new home in this thread.

Bill Clinton

"My fellow citizens, we are the heirs of the great American Revolution. As this millennium draw to a close and the 21st century approaches, let us pause to honor the very idea of America. America bears the world's diversity, yet it remains united in it's struggle to uphold fundamental freedoms. We believe our nation's happiness still evolves from liberty, from opportunity, and from the vision of equality set forward by our country's Declaration of Independence. And today our nation stands as a symbol of freedom and inspiration to people all around the world.

There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured by what is right with America. And there is nothing wrong with the world that cannot be cured by the ideals that America represents. Those principles have no borders. And we look forward to a day when those principles, extended beyond our borders, will have circled the globe. The quest for democracy must continue until all the people in the world can enjoy the freedom we must always fight to preserve. The spirit of America is as bright and hopeful as it was in July of 1776, and we are ready to carry our great national experiment forward into the next millennium."

George W. Bush
    "My fellow Americans, when we look back on the history of this country, we see a record of almost unbelievable energy, sacrifice, hard work—of impossible dreams that our ancestors dreamed and made real. We see injustice, too, that weighs on our hearts even today. But for every injustice there has always been a voice crying out to right it. And America has always listened to those voices.

We are listening today. And perhaps it falls to us, to this first generation of 21st century Americans, to say, once and for all, that no child, no race, no creed, no ethnic community will ever again be left out of the American dream. Through education, through the opportunity to work and to enjoy the fruits of that work, we can open every closed door, expand the horizons of all Americans.

Again and again we return to the same simple principles: freedom, equality. The freedom to create, to prosper, to dream. Equality before the law, in the workplace, and a chance for a better life. And each time, in the process, America grows stronger. The beacon of democracy grows brighter. The world looks with new astonishment at what free people can do. We the people are just getting started."

Barack Obama
    "The American dream is as old as our founding, but as timeless as our hopes. It is reborn every day, in the heart of every child who wakes up in a land of limitless possibilities, in a country where “we the people” means all the people. We may come from different places and believe in different things, but what makes us American is a shared spirit—a spirit of courage and determination; of kindness and generosity. It is a spirit grounded in the wisdom of the generations that have gone before us, but open to the unimagined discoveries and possibilities on the horizon that lies ahead. Let us enjoy it, cherish it, defend it, and pass it on to our children as the bright and beautiful blessing it is—this enduring American dream."

Most common phrases/words used:
    • America/n: Clinton used it the most of the three, 7 times.
    • Dream: While only 2 presidents (43 & 44) used it, W. apparently loved this word, using it 4 times in his speech
    • Diversity: Clinton is the only one to use the term, but W. and Obama both talk about it.
    • Bright: All 3 presidents used this word

Last edited: May 9, 2017
    George, mhochman and EricsBiscuit like this.