Trip Report The Griswolds go to Orlando!! Live trip report...or something like it. Pictures on page 11 !!

Alright, I'm to give it a go at doing a live trip report. This way it will be easier for me to remember what we do. Hold fast folks, I might not be able to add photos until we get back but I'll try.

As some of you know, we had a 7 hour flight delay yesterday which nixed any chance of park time but we muddled through it. We ended up getting our APs via guest services at CityWalk which was convenient.

Day One: Universal.

Diagon Alley.......Holy crap. This place is amazing. The details are to top notch and there's no denying what they've done here. The ladies did Gringott's and they loved it. The train crossing into the other park was awesome. The only let down was Cat in the Hat. I must have missed the memo but it has almost no spinning now.

So, right now we're waiting on the girls to finish the Hulk and then it's chow time at Mel's. More to come!

draybook

Original Poster
We slept in again and then headed to the AK. We got there about 11:30 and boy was it crowded. The gals took the bands to do their FPs for Everest while Justin and I rode Dinosaur. It started raining and by the time we reached the exit the ladies were waiting for us.

We decided that it was too crowded to stay so we all rode Dinosaur again and now we're on the team to the TTC. When they close for tonight's MNSSHP we will be taking the monorail over to EPCOT for our ADR at La Hacienda.

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
Yeah, too busy for us. It's pretty light over here at the MK. Hope this rain let's up soon, not even these overpriced Disney ponchos are a match for heavy rain.
Hey dray - hows the rain been over all? Constant down pours or those typical florida afternoon showers that pass through for 15 min or so?

draybook

Original Poster
Hey dray - hows the rain been over all? Constant down pours or those typical florida afternoon showers that pass through for 15 min or so?

Most of the rain has been the quick light shower type. Yesterday's rain was the full fledged downpour. It started around 5 or so and didn't stop until about 8:30.

ABQ

@draybook , how was your time at the Hacienda? I have ADR's there in November, but have no experience there and am unsure just how well you can see Illuminations from inside. You stated you had a window booth, did you have to pre-reserve that somehow, or are all the tables booths on the windows?

draybook

Original Poster
@draybook , how was your time at the Hacienda? I have ADR's there in November, but have no experience there and am unsure just how well you can see Illuminations from inside. You stated you had a window booth, did you have to pre-reserve that somehow, or are all the tables booths on the windows?

Actually, we didn't stay. They put us at a table that was next to a window seat and we didn't like how close we were to other people. So we got our sodas to go and I left the lady a tip and we left. I'm betting that it would have been an awesome show because we had a great view of the whole lagoon.

We left and went to Cicis and grabbed some pizza to take back to the room.

draybook

Original Poster
We made the mistake of coming to the MK today instead of AK. It's not jam packed but it is pretty busy. Most things are at 20 minutes but it seems busier because of larger crowds. That's ok, we're only here until roughly 6 pm and then we're hopping onto the monorail to EPCOT for our dinner ADR at the Garden Grill. I just hope it's rotating.

Right now we're in line at Buzz, about to get on. Here we go getting more Galactic Hero buttons like a champ.

draybook

Original Poster
After we came out of Buzz we saw people being evacuated off of the Peoplemover. That's the first time I've seen that happen. So, while the gals went to use the Space FPs, Justin and I went to the Laugh Floor. I guess when that's over we'll take a spin on the Peoplemover and then perhaps the Jungle Cruise before our Pirates FPs are up.

Did the dollar take a nose dive this year or something because I'm seeing a crazy amount of foreign visitors compared just to last year.

DisneyGigi

After we came out of Buzz we saw people being evacuated off of the Peoplemover. That's the first time I've seen that happen. So, while the gals went to use the Space FPs, Justin and I went to the Laugh Floor. I guess when that's over we'll take a spin on the Peoplemover and then perhaps the Jungle Cruise before our Pirates FPs are up.

Did the dollar take a nose dive this year or something because I'm seeing a crazy amount of foreign visitors compared just to last year.

Same thing when we were there.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes

For the Brazilian Real is now 2.33 to one dollar, least year is was 2.34 so not much change there, but thier economy is slipping.

For the Euro is .77 to the dollar, last year it was .74 so that cost is actually more.

If you're from outside the US, travel to Disney is mostly for the cost insensitive crowd. Its actually a safer vacation destination with the unrest in the world so that factors in as well.

draybook

Original Poster
For the Brazilian Real is now 2.33 to one dollar, least year is was 2.34 so not much change there, but thier economy is slipping.

For the Euro is .77 to the dollar, last year it was .74 so that cost is actually more.

If you're from outside the US, travel to Disney is mostly for the cost insensitive crowd. Its actually a safer vacation destination with the unrest in the world so that factors in as well.

That explains it. Not that I care too much but I would love it to be implemented somehow that all foreign visitors be required to take a 1 or 2 day class on basic customs and etiquette. And I'm sure the same could be said about us when we visit other places.

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
That explains it. Not that I care too much but I would love it to be implemented somehow that all foreign visitors be required to take a 1 or 2 day class on basic customs and etiquette. And I'm sure the same could be said about us when we visit other places.
The last two times we were there at the end of September it seemed like about 45 percent 'Muricans! and the rest were dem der crazy foreigners!!

draybook

Original Poster
We hopped over to EPCOT but we canceled our ADR at Garden Grill. The family wasn't too keen on the menu so I asked if we could cancel without penalty and they said no problem. So we grabbed a bite at the Electric Umbrella and went over to the Land. We rode LwtL and now we're on Imagination.

draybook

Original Poster
When extra magic hours hit the gals went to Soarin while Justin and I rode Maelstrom 3 times in a row. I made sure to video record it so I can reminisce after they finish butchering it.

Since the family refuses to watch EO, I'm over here watching it myself while they do Maelstrom again and then we'll do the 3 Caballeros. LOVE ME SOME CAPTAIN EO!!

draybook

Original Poster
@draybook the food wasn't as good as it used to be and I was on imagination around 640 we got stuck untill 725/were you on it?

Nope. We showed up to the Garden Grill at 705 and then after that we spent 40 minutes trying to eat. We were going to eat at the Cantina but there was nowhere to sit since all of the drunks had taken up all of the space.

draybook

Original Poster
We decided to come to the MK before heading to the airport. Apparently so did everyone else. We hit Buzz while the ladies rode Splash. Now we're doing the Speedway while they do Thunder. After this we're going to take in Pirates and hopefully Haunted Mansion before we leave.

As reported in my other thread, we booked the bounce back for next year and from now on we are staying away from the second half of September.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom