Trip Report The Griswolds go to Orlando!! Live trip report...or something like it. Pictures on page 11 !!

Alright, I'm to give it a go at doing a live trip report. This way it will be easier for me to remember what we do. Hold fast folks, I might not be able to add photos until we get back but I'll try.

As some of you know, we had a 7 hour flight delay yesterday which nixed any chance of park time but we muddled through it. We ended up getting our APs via guest services at CityWalk which was convenient.

Day One: Universal.

Diagon Alley.......Holy crap. This place is amazing. The details are to top notch and there's no denying what they've done here. The ladies did Gringott's and they loved it. The train crossing into the other park was awesome. The only let down was Cat in the Hat. I must have missed the memo but it has almost no spinning now.

So, right now we're waiting on the girls to finish the Hulk and then it's chow time at Mel's. More to come!

Jim Buck

my trip i did a lot of disney 1sts for me, like visiting other resorts and using the boats a lot. even tho i went solo i still have such a great time in WDW.

I am taking my first solo trip in a week. I plan on several firsts myself. I feel a bit odd going alone but also looking forward to doing all I want to do without checking on what anyone else wants.

draybook

Original Poster
and..

time for an update Dray, dont leave us hanging here bud:)

Well, we're about to get our dessert here at T-Rex and then head back to the resort to watch Frozen on the lawn. We found out why AK was so much busier than normal for this time of year; some convention was there and they had tour groups going on and had the place rented out beyond the 5 pm closing.

We still had a great time and I think the Dinosaur crew knows Justin and I by first name since we ride it so much.

I want to thank everyone for keeping up with the trip and I promise that when we get home next week I will post as many pics as I can. I've already taken about 3400 so far. Good night folks.

draybook

Original Poster
For some crazy reason we decided to drive to the MK since we're running a little behind. Big mistake. The line for the ferry boats is back to the monorail ramps and we're over here waiting on a bus to take over.

I remember reading something about the monorails being down at certain times but this is ridiculous.

Disneydreamer23

For some crazy reason we decided to drive to the MK since we're running a little behind. Big mistake. The line for the ferry boats is back to the monorail ramps and we're over here waiting on a bus to take over.

I remember reading something about the monorails being down at certain times but this is ridiculous.
. Good luck!

draybook

Original Poster
. Good luck!

The bus only took a few minutes to show up and maybe 5 to reach the entrance. Seriously, we picked the wrong day to come to the MK. It's barely after 11 am and Buzz is already at 25 minutes. That's pretty crazy for this time of September.

However, Justin and I did manage to secure two more Galactic Hero buttons, naturally. He maxed out in the first room and I maxed out in the room past the volcanoes. We have a good system going. Now we're over here at Pecos Bill's getting a quick lunch.

draybook

Original Poster
It has been insanely busy at the MK although it has slowed a smidge. Thirty minutes for Buzz is September is not what we're used to. We're debating on hopping over to EPCOT for a few hours after our 4:15 ADR at BoG today.

I think that from now on we'll keep the second half of September off of the table, because it's far from off peak these days. Still having a great time, although I will be filing a complaint against one of the FP kiosk guys from earlier.

draybook

Original Poster
please tell me you will be having the steak again..;)
and what was the dealio with the FP CM?

Oh yeah, more steak!

And what happened with the CM is that we approached the Frontierland kiosks from the FL side and we didn't see the line forming for the kiosks. I walked up to an empty one and asked if it was open. The CM had an attitude and pointed to the line while saying, "line, line". So I started to walk away but then I walked back and got his name.

I'm not asking to be called sir or king or anything, but I'm not going to have someone point and bark orders like I'm a dog.

draybook

Original Poster
Just finished the steak, about to have some chocolate cake. I was out voted on hopping over to EPCOT, so we're hoping that the 8pm parade eats up the crowds while we hit the rides. Then we'll hit the 10 pm parade and hopefully have no trouble getting out to the car.

draybook

Original Poster
It's raining cats and dogs and it's a blast. As much as I hated buying those Disney ponchos, they sure are more reliable than those garbage Walmart dollar brands.

The crazy part is that people are just huddling under any cover they can find but not the rides/attractions themselves. Odd, but it makes it better for us. Hopefully lots of people left and it will be a breeze for us to get back to the car. And another bonus is that I finally stopped and got my chocolate shake earlier from over by Friar Tucks.

Disneydreamer23

The bus only took a few minutes to show up and maybe 5 to reach the entrance. Seriously, we picked the wrong day to come to the MK. It's barely after 11 am and Buzz is already at 25 minutes. That's pretty crazy for this time of September.

However, Justin and I did manage to secure two more Galactic Hero buttons, naturally. He maxed out in the first room and I maxed out in the room past the volcanoes. We have a good system going. Now we're over here at Pecos Bill's getting a quick lunch.
. So nuts for September! Your going to HHN right? Are you going Saturday did you get the AP email to get in early!!? I will be there Saturday I was at universal today and the cast members had the preview yesterday they all said it's the best in years!!!

draybook

Original Poster
. So nuts for September! Your going to HHN right? Are you going Saturday did you get the AP email to get in early!!? I will be there Saturday I was at universal today and the cast members had the preview yesterday they all said it's the best in years!!!

We haven't got any email about getting in early but we did get the tickets at the AP price. We're going Saturday but we're going to EPCOT first and then heading to Uni after lunch. I thought I read somewhere that if you're in the Studios and an AP holder with HHN tickets they just put you in some holding area instead of having to go back through.

Next year we're going the first week of September and then back for two weeks in December.

draybook

Original Poster
Today was our switch from POFQ over to All Star Music, so we slept in until 10. Then we crammed all of our junk into the suv and boogied over there. I caught something respiratory so I'm not 100% so we're taking it easy. When we first got here we headed to Pinnochio's for lunch.

While they went in there to order the food I headed to the kiosks to set our FPs. Not to sound like a jerk or anything but they really need to set some of those kiosks to English only. It takes so dang long to set up new FPs because you have so many people that hold it up by not understanding or not knowing the attractions.

Better yet, they need to hurry up and make it so you can book them from your phone. As computer savvy as I am it takes me all of 20 seconds to set up new FPs. However, it usually takes 3-5 minutes to get an open machine.

My only gripe about BoG is that we ate dinner there 3 times this trip and never got seated in the West Wing.

Last edited:

draybook

Original Poster
We spent a few hours at the MK today since we were lagging behind and I was feeling bad. We did all of the rides we wanted. We're sitting here at Raglan Road waiting on dinner. This place is pretty cool. After dinner I think we're going to zip over to EPCOT for an hour or so until closing and then head off site for some medicine for me and then go back to the resort.

draybook

Original Poster
We hit Spaceship Earth and now we're waiting in this 25 minute line for Maelstrom. Gotta get it in while it's unmolested. And then I just read about the Backlot Tour closing next Saturday.

Anyhow, Raglan Road was awesome but I wasn't too keen on the steak. Whatever they marinate it in didn't taste good to me. That is ok, the live band and dancers were cool and we loved the atmosphere. I think we'll go back again.

draybook

Original Poster
So, since the wife and I caught whatever from whomever, we decided to sleep in a little. We made it to EPCOT around 10:15. We totally forgot that yesterday was the first day of the food and wine festival.

The crowds are here. Oh, but here's the really good part. Eleven am hits and Test Track is down, EO is down, Imagination is down and Maelstrom is down. But not to worry, the beer, wine, and food booths that generate revenue are fully functional....

Since I had FPs for Maelstrom, we got new choices so the gals are riding Soarin while we finally got Imagination when it opened. After this we have ADRs at Beaches N Cream.

Last edited:

draybook

Original Poster
Beaches N Cream was ok but too cramped for our liking. So, we beat our feet through the drunken crowds and left EPCOT. We headed on up to Universal to ride a few things before Horror Nights. Man, we are LOVING Universal. Especially the Horror Make Up show.

Now we're standing in this AP event line to check out a couple of the haunted houses early.

draybook

Original Poster
Two houses down, waiting in line for Halloween house now. The Roanoke and Dollhouse houses were pretty darn good. I will say that it seems busier than it was for the second night of last year's event.

But at least it isn't blazing hot out here.

ratherbeinwdw

Beaches N Cream was ok but too cramped for our liking. So, we beat our feet through the drunken crowds and left EPCOT. We headed on up to Universal to ride a few things before Horror Nights. Man, we are LOVING Universal. Especially the Horror Make Up show.

Now we're standing in this AP event line to check out a couple of the haunted houses early.
So, if we don't ride the big coasters, how many days will we need to enjoy Universal? We're planning on going next May before we do Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom